• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta General MU Help/Discussion

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
Mario's basically a weaker, slower version of Fox with a worse recovery and a better projectile to camp with. Good Marios won't bother camping, and will spend most of the match staying on top of you. He obviously wants the juggle, so make sure you land safely, and don't commit to aerial-to-ground attacks at low%.

In my experience with Boss, you spend a lot of time short hopping pellets. Most of them will miss, so make sure you are spacing yourself to avoid the punish. Don't be afraid to give up ground. Mega Man can get past Mario without too much difficulty (Rush+Leaf Shield). Try to keep metal blades in play, and throw crash bombs when you can (Mario loves to run right at you as soon as it sticks). When landing with leaf shield, know when to air dodge into the ground for a flinch, and when to land with an empty fast fall. Be aware of your Rush lag too. Spacing your landings properly is absolutely critical in this MU. Don't let Mario's fast smashes fluster you, and do not roll into him. He's very easy to gimp, so just stack damage and get him offstage as safely as you can.

p1ay6ack

Smash Journeyman
how the hell do you deal with yoshi's movement using megaman? it's like i can't fight him in the ground at all.all his moves out prioritize me. when i go in for a punish with grab, i get hit with fsmash. or i get punished with down b, and yoshi is still safe! when i go for an aerial punish, i get punished with yoshi nair instead. when im throwing a diagnal metal blade. his egg outpriotizes.

I CANT APPROACH FROM THE GROUND AT ALL...ITS SO FRUSTRATING >.<

i had to switch up my playstyle specifically for yoshi by approaching from the air. and use rush to get more air, and diagnal metal blade, cuz this yoshi has been approaching me with eggs, or jumping then egging me, and im surprised how much eggs cover megaman....like if i get hit by egg once, i get combo'd for 20%

Last edited:

p1ay6ack

Smash Journeyman
Any help against Mario

next to Shiek I literally feel like this matchup feels so one sided
wat's been working for me with mario is approaching with jumping diagnal metal blades, and approaching less with forward pellets, fmsah, b moves in horizontal. ive had one mario literally spam cape on me LOl. it was so dumb, so i just approached with jumping diagnal metal blade, then combo'd when i had the chance

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
how the hell do you deal with yoshi's movement using megaman? it's like i can't fight him in the ground at all.all his moves out prioritize me. when i go in for a punish with grab, i get hit with fsmash. or i get punished with down b, and yoshi is still safe! when i go for an aerial punish, i get punished with yoshi nair instead. when im throwing a diagnal metal blade. his egg outpriotizes.

I CANT APPROACH FROM THE GROUND AT ALL...ITS SO FRUSTRATING >.<

i had to switch up my playstyle specifically for yoshi by approaching from the air. and use rush to get more air, and diagnal metal blade, cuz this yoshi has been approaching me with eggs, or jumping then egging me, and im surprised how much eggs cover megaman....like if i get hit by egg once, i get combo'd for 20%
Yoshi also camps us very hard...why do rushdown characters get outstanding projectiles in Smash Bros?!

To deal with him, you first gotta be able to deal with his camp. It's possible to snipe eggs with pellets, but I don't think it's worth the risk since he's too far to hit anyway. Jump around them and get a metal blade in hand. You can also clear the field with a thrown leaf shield.

Yoshi's rushdown is scary, but his grab is a little slow. Running shields work well for managing space. Don't get flustered when he throws safely spaced powerful attacks (fAir, fSmash). Know when you have to retreat with pellets...you often need to throw at least two since he cancels the first with many attacks.

The main issue with Yoshi is his mobility in the air, which allows him to outspace most characters and attack very safely. Just be patient, and remember that empty hopping is an option. His upB can be flinched by pellets, so if he tries to get bypass the ledge and go directly on-stage with an egg, you can simply jab gimp him. His downB is extremely dangerous, but it can also give you a free uppercut if you read it and sidestep.

smiledon

Smash Rookie
Hi I'm completely new here, I've been following this website for a while now and have learned a lot! Thanks everyone!

I created an account just so I could get some help. I am a mega man main.

Firstly, I've read your material around sheiks bouncing fish. I hate that move. I was playing the other day and at first kept getting hit with it. I learned to block it but I couldn't capitalise on it (maybe my reaction time was too slow). Then I learned to spot dodge and up tilt, it killed her but then she was able to spot dodge my up tilt and punish! So now I'm back to block/not very successful spot dodge. Another issue I have is that if I block it she goes in the air I follow and she able to do another move?
How do I behave to counter the bouncing fish move?

Another thing I can't cope with is when people get super aggressive and are fast and get in my face. I can't deal with it. I was playing fox and he jumps over my pellets and starts his combo etc. I usually do something I learned from ENKER (thanks) with other characters I throw diagonal metal blade and f smash while they are in hit stun. Works like a charm. But faster characters hit me before I can get the blade out.
How do I behave around characters that have good speed and keep coming. E.g fox. Sheik

Also, I used to have a problem with rosalina until learned to side b spam her. But I was playing against one yesterday and she got too close and again would punish me before I had a chance to crash bomb or the other scenario the crash bomb explosion hurt both of us.

I think the general theme of my post is, how do I effectively keep other characters at mid range especially those that like to get in your face fast! Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
How often do you use Leaf Shield? When my normal tactics aren't working I usually throw LS up and see how my opponent reacts.
Maybe I am wrong, but the fast characters usually get stunned more easily by LS than heavier characters as they don't have as many moves with super armor.

Also, have you practiced jumping away while blasting lemons? That's a great tactic to keeping spacing from rush down characters.

Thanks for the shout out! :D

smiledon

Smash Rookie
Hey thanks for the speedy reply.

I usually use leaf shield as a fail safe if my neutral game isn't working. It usually throws opponent off. But for some reason it wasn't working on that specific fox/shiek. I read chopper Davies thread on woodmans guide to the leaf shield and learnt a lot from that.

The leaf shield helps me a grab or two in and helps with a bit of damage. But then they adapt to it and since it takes time to start up they usually get me before I can pull it out. I can do it out of up b but then it doesn't last long enough for me to get much use out of it.

Jumping back with lemons usually works great. I have an issue when I get to the end of the stage where I get cornered. From here is when it gets tricky for me. The rush down guy comes at me and I need to get over him. I usually get punished here. I think I'm too slow to react to them as they keep chasing me.

Now what's the best thing to do when you run out of ground to keep moving back?

I swear megaman would win every match if there was unlimited horizontal ground!

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
Dude! Mega Man doesn't get cornered. ;) Run off the stage, DJ backwards back onto the stage and use his Bair!

Last edited:

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
As anybody who has seen my videos is probably aware, I make tons of use of the autocanceled double jump dair to go above/over/etc my opponent. Gives a decently safe option to change your spacing.

smiledon

Smash Rookie
I like that, il try that!

Thanks for the help! Much appreciated!

Il see if I can upload videos of me getting ruined so you guys could provide some accurate feedback! (il do that at video & critique thread once I have the material)

Also, (you might have already figured out that I'm **** at the game), how do some people run forward then quickly turn around and pull out a back air? (It looks so smooth, that you can't tell they even turned) As I'm using f air currently which is good for racking up damage but not the kill obviously!

Thanks for the post, fenrir, would you be able to upload any links? Or can I just YouTube fenrir mega man and your vids will pop up?

Thanks!

Last edited:

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
As anybody who has seen my videos is probably aware, I make tons of use of the autocanceled double jump dair to go above/over/etc my opponent. Gives a decently safe option to change your spacing.
Another thing I've started doing is using DITCIT to zoom past people who corner me. When I take a stock I grab a metal blade and fire up Leaf Shield before my opponent respawns, then DITCIT past them. Between the zoom zoom and the hitstun/hitbox clashing from Leaf Shield, it seems to be pretty safe!

For Sheik and Bouncing Fish, I usually recommend pivot ftilts and fsmashes. Sheik is left wide open if she whiffs this move, so running backwards and pivoting is a good way to go.

Last edited:

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
It's called a RAR (Reverse aerial?) Bair.
Move forward > quickly move control stick in the opposite direction > Jump and Bair.

The timing takes a little getting used to, but once you get it it is awesome!

Don't diss yourself! We're all learning here. :)

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
I like that, il try that!

Thanks for the help! Much appreciated!

Il see if I can upload videos of me getting ruined so you guys could provide some accurate feedback! (il do that at video & critique thread once I have the material)

Also, (you might have already figured out that I'm **** at the game), how do some people run forward then quickly turn around and pull out a back air? (It looks so smooth, that you can't tell they even turned) As I'm using f air currently which is good for racking up damage but not the kill obviously!

Thanks for the post, fenrir, would you be able to upload any links? Or can I just YouTube fenrir mega man and your vids will pop up?

Thanks!
What you're referring to here is reverse aerial Rush, or RAR. Check out my guide pinned to the top of this board to learn how to do it, or just google it.

ETA: :4greninja:'d

Last edited:

smiledon

Smash Rookie
Ok thanks guys, you have pointed me in the right direction. Il get back to you guys once I have made progress. And come across new obstacles.

Once again thanks for your help.

Drippy

Smash Ace
Yoshi also camps us very hard...why do rushdown characters get outstanding projectiles in Smash Bros?!

To deal with him, you first gotta be able to deal with his camp. It's possible to snipe eggs with pellets, but I don't think it's worth the risk since he's too far to hit anyway. Jump around them and get a metal blade in hand. You can also clear the field with a thrown leaf shield.

Yoshi's rushdown is scary, but his grab is a little slow. Running shields work well for managing space. Don't get flustered when he throws safely spaced powerful attacks (fAir, fSmash). Know when you have to retreat with pellets...you often need to throw at least two since he cancels the first with many attacks.

The main issue with Yoshi is his mobility in the air, which allows him to outspace most characters and attack very safely. Just be patient, and remember that empty hopping is an option. His upB can be flinched by pellets, so if he tries to get bypass the ledge and go directly on-stage with an egg, you can simply jab gimp him. His downB is extremely dangerous, but it can also give you a free uppercut if you read it and sidestep.
I know this is a old post but I've been struggling with Yoshis today and I'm pretty PJSalt and instead of ranting about it I want to ask for advice in the match-up. I played against two different types of Yoshi, the first one played very campy-based and used eggs ALL the time and so I felt like I was forced to approach him which was also a bad choice. The Yoshi player told me to play more patient and not to approach Yoshi ever, but I feel like Yoshi out-camps us with his eggs which are really hard to hit considering they go in an arc. Also what both Yoshi's often did was approach from the air too and it's insane because he just does fade-away n-airs / f-airs / eggs and even if I shield it, he literally suffers no punishment. The second Yoshi was like the the first but he used way less eggs and just full on aggression and I found it easier to do against him because after the second game, I realized that I can just run away and rack up damage but even then Yoshi can easily get one string or even a d-air and all my hard-work is put to waste and he can KO me much easier because his u-air / n-air (kills at like 100% on ledge =/) or f-smash / d-smash and the occasional f-air or down b will kill.

I don't think the match-up is impossible but it's really stressing and it's really taking a toll on me. I feel like I can't kill him at all because he's always in the air and f-smash / d-smash/ up-tilt are easily avoided. I find it nearly impossible to gimp him because when he's recovering horizontally, he'll always use eggs to cover his landing so I can't jump off-stage and do a Leaf Shield, Metal Blade, or b-air to kill him. Often times the Yoshi player will just recover high too already rendering my other options quite useless and very rarely will I ever get a Yoshi player in a situation to recover low. Maybe I'm playing the match-up wrong, I feel like I'm playing it wrong but geez it's really infuriating and annoying. I'm thinking a few things is that I'm poorly mistiming my gimp on him since he gets super armor during his double jump, also perhaps that I'm not using his pellets enough in this match-up because he throws the egg in the arc (but from your post it seems like I should be using it) and I probably need to prepare for his egg toss and shield it before he gimps me? Maybe I shouldn't even bother using Leaf Shield / Metal Blade because it wastes time for me to shield and I should just shield and go for an aerial attack off-stage.

Last edited:

p1ay6ack

Smash Journeyman
use one pellet and fair as anti air. flame sword is best used an anti-air weapon, and one pellet to snipe some eggs. 2 pellets and 3 pellets make you lose stage control if not used right. i like doing 3 pellets when im just a bit away from yoshi. it frustrates the yoshi player cuz they instictively want to jump after the 1st or 2 pellets, and the 3 pellets keep them grounded, making them mash buttons. this MU is frustrating to me even still

you're forced to a defensive playstyle

Last edited:

Drippy

Smash Ace
use one pellet and fair as anti air. flame sword is best used an anti-air weapon, and one pellet to snipe some eggs. 2 pellets and 3 pellets make you lose stage control if not used right. i like doing 3 pellets when im just a bit away from yoshi. it frustrates the yoshi player cuz they instictively want to jump after the 1st or 2 pellets, and the 3 pellets keep them grounded, making them mash buttons. this MU is frustrating to me even still

you're forced to a defensive playstyle
I actually did notice that Flame Sword was doing really good against the first Yoshi I played against and I often got a string of Flame Swords on him, because he was always in the air but I think I was really scared to challenge his aerials / eggs so I stopped doing it. I definitely need to do it again, and I'll start to use pellets more in this match-up, I just found it useless because eggs arc over them but perhaps I'm wrong and I'll try one pellet this time too because it never occur to me to try that. Definitely agreed that this match-up is heavily defensive though for Mega Man. Thanks a lot for the advice man. :^)

Last edited:

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
I know this is a old post but I've been struggling with Yoshis today and I'm pretty PJSalt and instead of ranting about it I want to ask for advice in the match-up. I played against two different types of Yoshi, the first one played very campy-based and used eggs ALL the time and so I felt like I was forced to approach him which was also a bad choice. The Yoshi player told me to play more patient and not to approach Yoshi ever, but I feel like Yoshi out-camps us with his eggs which are really hard to hit considering they go in an arc. Also what both Yoshi's often did was approach from the air too and it's insane because he just does fade-away n-airs / f-airs / eggs and even if I shield it, he literally suffers no punishment. The second Yoshi was like the the first but he used way less eggs and just full on aggression and I found it easier to do against him because after the second game, I realized that I can just run away and rack up damage but even then Yoshi can easily get one string or even a d-air and all my hard-work is put to waste and he can KO me much easier because his u-air / n-air (kills at like 100% on ledge =/) or f-smash / d-smash and the occasional f-air or down b will kill.

I don't think the match-up is impossible but it's really stressing and it's really taking a toll on me. I feel like I can't kill him at all because he's always in the air and f-smash / d-smash/ up-tilt are easily avoided. I find it nearly impossible to gimp him because when he's recovering horizontally, he'll always use eggs to cover his landing so I can't jump off-stage and do a Leaf Shield, Metal Blade, or b-air to kill him. Often times the Yoshi player will just recover high too already rendering my other options quite useless and very rarely will I ever get a Yoshi player in a situation to recover low. Maybe I'm playing the match-up wrong, I feel like I'm playing it wrong but geez it's really infuriating and annoying. I'm thinking a few things is that I'm poorly mistiming my gimp on him since he gets super armor during his double jump, also perhaps that I'm not using his pellets enough in this match-up because he throws the egg in the arc (but from your post it seems like I should be using it) and I probably need to prepare for his egg toss and shield it before he gimps me? Maybe I shouldn't even bother using Leaf Shield / Metal Blade because it wastes time for me to shield and I should just shield and go for an aerial attack off-stage.
A few thoughts on Yoshi:

- Most of his aerial approach options can be punished with our utilt. Obviously, you have to watch out for empty landings and other fakeouts. But if you see a Yoshi commiting to an aerial approach, especially after he has double jumped, utilt is often better than shielding it. Utilt is also pretty solid for punishing Yoshi's dash attack because of the way its hitbox works.

- If you're feeling less ballsy, running back and pivot ftilt is a good all-purpose punish too. Pivot fsmash is a good punish for Yoshis who run on autopilot with the nair -> jab combo.

- At a distance, a thrown Leaf Shield will power through eggs and pop Yoshi up into an awkward position.

- If you expect Yoshi to recover super high, you can use Rush to bounce up and threaten him.

Last edited:

Drippy

Smash Ace
A few thoughts on Yoshi:

- Most of his aerial approach options can be punished with our utilt. Obviously, you have to watch out for empty landings and other fakeouts. But if you see a Yoshi commiting to an aerial approach especially after he has double jumped, utilt is often better than shielding it. Utilt is also pretty solid for punishing Yoshi's dash attack because of the way its hitbox works.

- If you're feeling less ballsy, running back and pivot ftilt is a good all-purpose punish too. Pivot fsmash is a good punish for Yoshis who run on autopilot with the nair -> jab combo.

- At a distance, a thrown Leaf Shield will power through eggs and pop Yoshi up into an awkward position.

- If you expect Yoshi to recover super high, you his use Rush to bounce up and threaten him.
Hmm, I haven't tried any of that against a Yoshi player yet so this definitely needs some testing out. I definitely think I should try to implement pivoting more into my game-play and it's something I need to work on getting the habit into. I did do the Leaf Shield thing once but I wasn't sure if it was working or not and just dropped trying to do it, but I need to test it out more. Using Rush as something besides recovery has never really been anything I've ever done, will definitely need to try it out.

Thanks a ton for the help, a lot of stuff I'll need to try against my friend who mains that pest of a Yoshi.

ravemaster47

Smash Ace
NNID
ravemaster47
As for yoshi, I've found usmash works against the down b pretty well. (Aerial anywyas). I use lemons.a.lot in that matchup. And as said before, fair is a.good tool. U air works well too even netting some kills if you walk off and bait a fair.

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
Yoshi really doesn't like being mid-range. He's either long range with egg spam, or in your face with safely spaced aerials. Remember that we out-grapple him, so stuff his short hops with nAir (you need more than one, he eats through the first) and keep him grounded. Be ready to punish the dash, and later on the tether grab. If he tries to spam eggs, let him. It's the perfect opportunity to grab a metal blade. Just approach him slowly with the blade in hand, and be ready to hit him with it if he makes a mistake and makes himself vulnerable.

Drippy

Smash Ace
Alright thanks guys, I think I was just panicking in that match-up. I usually use a lot of pellets but completely avoided using it in this match-up because I didn't think they'd be that useful.

ravemaster47

Smash Ace
NNID
ravemaster47
It seems im.having issues against characters that have multiple jumps. Pit/dark pit, charizard. Ironically, MK and kirby arent much of a challenge.

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
All the multi jump characters except Puff have ****ty air speed. They employ the exact same tactic as fast fallers - trying to bait out a punishable attack. Just harass them with projectiles. I like to keep a metal blade in hand and catch their landing, but pellets and crash bomb are great too. Depending on the opponent, you can even throw some fAir, bAir, or uAir to keep em on their toes.

Drippy

Smash Ace
Alright after reading everything about Mario in this thread and the other thread, it seems supposedly that the Mario match-up is either even or in our favor. Me being only one person, I find this match-up to be absolutely horrendous but I may just be a bad Mega Man. I still need to try out a lot of the stuff I read like running under him and up-smashing if he tries to do Fireballs from the air and in general rolling less and falling for his smash attacks. I think my biggest issue in this match-up is killing, and against characters like Little Mac / Captain Falcon, I have the same issue too but they're 10x easier to gimp IMO.

This Mario I played against would always cape / air dodge if I went for b-air, I'm thinking I need to read the air-dodge but what do I do when he just capes my b-air? The same goes for D-Air too, he always seems to reflect my D-Air and I can't go for it, and I find leaf-stooling him to be a harder task compared to leafstooling a Mac or Falcon. I still need to practice using F-Air / B-Air to gimp his Up B though and I desperately need to practice teching cause the few times I did go for the gimp, he stage spiked me and that just made me really scared to try and go for it in the first place.

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
Mario definitely isn't in our favor...even at best. That damn cape really screws us up, and he combos for days (though it feels punishing than other combo characters). Dair also has to be respected at mid-high% since it can combo into fSmash. His recovery is pretty bad though, and if you're not comfortable intercepting his upB, it's still easy to ledge trump him since he can't really stall.

Drippy

Smash Ace
Mario definitely isn't in our favor...even at best. That damn cape really screws us up, and he combos for days (though it feels punishing than other combo characters). Dair also has to be respected at mid-high% since it can combo into fSmash. His recovery is pretty bad though, and if you're not comfortable intercepting his upB, it's still easy to ledge trump him since he can't really stall.
Really? If I recall correctly, only one person says that the match-up is in Mario's favor and I think that was Locke, and I asked a few Mario mains and they said it's even but I'm not sure if it's because they're bias or they don't have much experience in the match-up which a lot of people really don't to be honest cause Mega Man is rare. On the other hand I think I'll just try to learn how to gimp him because I can't avoid it forever and yea ledge trumping is definitely something I need to practice more. I'm also still having problems with Mario in terms of him approaching, I may need to save a replay to see what specifically what the Mario and I are doing. It's so frustrating when two down throws get me to like 70% but I guess I just need to play more carefully.

Last edited:

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Matchup is likely even. Learn to get out of his combos (don't lose your jump) and you'll be in a much better situation.

I said it was a bad MU because the results showed it was clearly a bad MU. Not that there have been a whole lot of results showing MM beating Mario, but talks with other Mega's have shown that people have just gotten more comfortable with the MU avoiding the kill setups, living forever, and not getting combo'd forever.

Drippy

Smash Ace
Matchup is likely even. Learn to get out of his combos (don't lose your jump) and you'll be in a much better situation.

I said it was a bad MU because the results showed it was clearly a bad MU. Not that there have been a whole lot of results showing MM beating Mario, but talks with other Mega's have shown that people have just gotten more comfortable with the MU avoiding the kill setups, living forever, and not getting combo'd forever.
I'm usually able to shield his up tilts / rush before the up-airs, I think my main problem is avoiding his grabs and that can just be me adapting poorly to the player's play-style. Oh and also that's understandable.

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
You have ONE option for getting out of his combos - Rush, and it doesn't exactly put you in a position to avoid extra damage.

I play Boss, so I see top level Mario, Dr. Mario, and Luigi. It's not a fun ride. Most of the time, I spend a minute and a half trying to rack up 50 damage on him, while he stacks 70 in about eight seconds (sometimes in a single string). We don't have the frames to deal with the Bros' aerial pressure, so it's strictly keepaway or catch a rising bAir. Leaf Shield helps a little, but they have a surprisingly easy time attacking through it. I shouldn't need to mention how easy it is for them to start a combo.

You NEED good edgeguarding to win this MU at a high level. Chase them offstage. Mario and Doc can be gimped by almost anything, including pellets. Luigi players often use his lightning fast upB recovery from deep, but you can beat it with bAir if you react very fast.

Drippy

Smash Ace
You have ONE option for getting out of his combos - Rush, and it doesn't exactly put you in a position to avoid extra damage.

I play Boss, so I see top level Mario, Dr. Mario, and Luigi. It's not a fun ride. Most of the time, I spend a minute and a half trying to rack up 50 damage on him, while he stacks 70 in about eight seconds (sometimes in a single string). We don't have the frames to deal with the Bros' aerial pressure, so it's strictly keepaway or catch a rising bAir. Leaf Shield helps a little, but they have a surprisingly easy time attacking through it. I shouldn't need to mention how easy it is for them to start a combo.

You NEED good edgeguarding to win this MU at a high level. Chase them offstage. Mario and Doc can be gimped by almost anything, including pellets. Luigi players often use his lightning fast upB recovery from deep, but you can beat it with bAir if you react very fast.
I assume a lot of pellets in this match-up too as well right? Also yea edge-guarding is something I desperately need to work on as a player in general. I easily gimped this Pit earlier today but I'm really inconsistent at it so it's definitely something I'll be practicing a lot. Thanks for the help you've given me, I guess I just need to play this match-up more and practice on edge-guarding.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Mario and Luigi are 2 very different characters. I would modify how you approach those 2 MU's because Luigi can do a lot more damage to you when he gets in (also kill with a raw BAir/DAir) better than Mario. Their combo games are also very different. Mario, like Kirby, relies on chasing you and stealing your jump while Luigi is all about SH aerial strings to regrabs at low %'s. Jumping is faster than Rush, as I've heard Rush is invulnerable f6 or so which is when you jump off the dog. Jump air dodge =f4 invulnerable and you're moving away from your opponent instantly.

I don't question Boss' combo game. But against Mario and Doc, their combo strings are escapable before they do 45%. It's why more Mario's use up throw>DAir>FAir instead of down throw up tilt stuff. I don't know Doc's combo game well, but from what I know it's more strings and pressure traps rather than Luigi's more legit combos.

Also, -shrugs- you get 0-70'd. Now their combo game is significantly worse and you can still play your own game. I'd try and not let that get to you. It's not a fun ride at low %'s, no, but it shouldn't be a fun ride for your opponents at high %'s either.

That's my $.02. I haven't played Boss, but my MU experience comes mostly from playing and talking to Hero Mystic, who most likely studies the character more than Boss.

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
You can try to use lots of pellets, but the Bros get through it pretty easily. Good luck landing 20 of them before they grab you. I actually find the way the arm cannon itself pops them away to be more useful than the actual pellets, since you can strike them with it while landing without giving them too much time to punish on shield. One thing I'd like to point out is to be careful about using MB as an item against the Bros. It's not just a matter of Mario being able to reflect - they take advantage of our inability to use bAir to challenge their approach.

@ Locke 06 Locke 06 DJ->AD f4 shouldn't be an option you use often. All three Bros can completely cover your dodge with a uAir->nAir or uAir->uAir string (Luigi also has uAir->fAir as an option). You might temporarily break the combo, but you won't land safe, and they basically get a free reset. I'm not sure what % the 2 frame advantage would even play, since Rush gets you out after two or three hits depending on what combo you're in.

Getting 0-70'd is not something you shrug off, unless you like being in loser's bracket. Luigi has guaranteed setups KO setups out of dThrow, Mario can throw or fSmash out of a properly spaced dAir, and Doc can dThrow->fAir or simply reverse-upB. All three of them can KO us below 100%, only going about as high as 150% if we are doing a very good job of avoiding setups and uSmash reads.

Check the video critique thread. I posted a set vs Boss in GF. I managed to put up a fight, but it's clear that I never had any control during the match. Smart shielding makes the Bros extremely difficult to keep out.

Sneak Sneaks

Smash Ace
You must use pellets a lot to avoid grabs and keep a distance from Mario, you may get combo'ed but remember megaman is heavy and he can deal with that, dont use many smash attack, use up smash after Mario misses a grab and if u use forward smash make it on an unsafe Mario landing just wait until he capes and after that you unleash it, down smash isnt as relevant, use down tilt to create space when Mario is to close, throw the metal blade as an iten when you see him smashing or running towards you, use your dash attacks after using metal blades and keep backthrow fresh for a KO. also you can make Mario fall by gimping him with leafshield since his recovery isnt very high, you will have a hard time trying to spike him with down air

ravemaster47

Smash Ace
NNID
ravemaster47
Our keep away game is better than marios I think. Matchup I think is in Marios favor but not by much. Uair can be used to catch him when he jumps foe fire. Ftilt well cancel out fire if he's on the ground l, giving you a chance to move in. Most marios I've seen use dsmash due to its coverage and speed when you get close.pivot tilts help rack up damage from an aggressive mario, or pivot to dash attack. Kill options are best left for bthrow or fair or bair off stage.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
You can try to use lots of pellets, but the Bros get through it pretty easily. Good luck landing 20 of them before they grab you. I actually find the way the arm cannon itself pops them away to be more useful than the actual pellets, since you can strike them with it while landing without giving them too much time to punish on shield. One thing I'd like to point out is to be careful about using MB as an item against the Bros. It's not just a matter of Mario being able to reflect - they take advantage of our inability to use bAir to challenge their approach.

@ Locke 06 Locke 06 DJ->AD f4 shouldn't be an option you use often. All three Bros can completely cover your dodge with a uAir->nAir or uAir->uAir string (Luigi also has uAir->fAir as an option). You might temporarily break the combo, but you won't land safe, and they basically get a free reset. I'm not sure what % the 2 frame advantage would even play, since Rush gets you out after two or three hits depending on what combo you're in.

Getting 0-70'd is not something you shrug off, unless you like being in loser's bracket. Luigi has guaranteed setups KO setups out of dThrow, Mario can throw or fSmash out of a properly spaced dAir, and Doc can dThrow->fAir or simply reverse-upB. All three of them can KO us below 100%, only going about as high as 150% if we are doing a very good job of avoiding setups and uSmash reads.

Check the video critique thread. I posted a set vs Boss in GF. I managed to put up a fight, but it's clear that I never had any control during the match. Smart shielding makes the Bros extremely difficult to keep out.
You don't need to air dodge, but it is an option. If you're stuck in utilts and you DJAD away from one as Mario is doing one, I think you should be safe. If rush gets you out of something, double jumping would also get you out of it. Rush is safer, because you retain your double jump even if you get hit, but it's harder to land from rush than a double jump due to the height. That's generally how I think about rush as a combo breaker/eject button.

Checked out the set vs Boss. You opt for MB instead of pellets a lot, and that let's Luigi in due to the fact he can power shield and he's in. It seems you picked up on that and you're planning to use less MB next time? On the other hand, MB in hand should not restrict you from using BAirs, as you can z-drop recatch BAir and also z-drop recatch pellet. When you did setup a pellet wall, it's more effective (less reward, but you keep him out). If Luigi is short hopping everywhere, he can't shield in the air.

What makes the plumbers' shield game different from other characters' shield game in terms of approach?

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
I wouldn't say it's a matter of the Bros' shield game being different as much as it is Boss' shield game being on the mark. It's what they can do once they get close that matters. Pellets won't keep them out even if you hit. I used to use more pellets vs Boss, and I would get two stocked. Some are necessary, but you can't walk with them.

I have started to play with Z-dropping tech, but I think we have to try to keep this battle in the air as much as possible. UAir is definitely great in all 3 MUs, and we have the frames to land a bAir if we can bait out a cape with it.

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
Mario and luigi are completely different.

Mario is a roughly 50-50 matchup

Luigi is a 70-30 matchup if not more in our favor.

Luigi can't approach us at all he is too slow in the air.

Top Bottom