• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General ICs Q&A Thread

Linkvader

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I can see how pressure would get to you. I'll have to try them one time in tournament situation... Maybe in a smaller one.

Zync

Smash Journeyman
I remember on my last tourney i was vs an snake player, screwing all the CGs, and a friend told me in the middle of the match, "Take a deep breath" Lol that helped

jbandrew

Smash Lord
uh... so how come I can literally do nothing... and just wait for my opponent to do something so i can predict -> powersheild... and they're done. It's pretty silly how all i know is the CG's on every character but I can just walk around and stand and wait... IC's are silly. WHY

Alphicans

Smash Hero
NEED AN ANSWER TODAY!!!

I can cg really well vs everyone except for snake and MK :/. I've been practicing my ICs for a long time now (using them in lots of friendlies and some MMs) and now I want to use them as an actual threatening character in tournament tomorrow. Basically I dthrow to nana then fthrow to popo to the edge then bthrow when I get close and repeat in the opposite direction. My issues with MK and snake are with the bthrow. Actually I do have a good way of bthrowing MK now, but it forces me to dthrow to popo (puts me too ahead of nana to fthrow) and I am having consistency issues. I can't bthrow snake at all. Like a less than 10% success rate.

Sooooooo what's the best way to bthrow MK and snake? I am talking controller motions lol. Or is hobbling good enough? I don't like hobbling much either because it really ruins my rhythm and I usually drop the cg after I regrab them :/.

Smoom77

Smash Master
We can't help you. Keep practicing. There's nothing I can do to explain it.

As for hobbling, it is ok against snake, but you can DI it and it can get annoying.

Roller

Smash Legend
NEED AN ANSWER TODAY!!!

I can cg really well vs everyone except for snake and MK :/. I've been practicing my ICs for a long time now (using them in lots of friendlies and some MMs) and now I want to use them as an actual threatening character in tournament tomorrow. Basically I dthrow to nana then fthrow to popo to the edge then bthrow when I get close and repeat in the opposite direction. My issues with MK and snake are with the bthrow. Actually I do have a good way of bthrowing MK now, but it forces me to dthrow to popo (puts me too ahead of nana to fthrow) and I am having consistency issues. I can't bthrow snake at all. Like a less than 10% success rate.

Sooooooo what's the best way to bthrow MK and snake? I am talking controller motions lol. Or is hobbling good enough? I don't like hobbling much either because it really ruins my rhythm and I usually drop the cg after I regrab them :/.
It is hard to explain over the internet. I wont even try explaining how I time Snake's bthrow. Just hobble him if you can't normally cg him. Like smoom said, it can be DI'ed and get annoying. But better than no CG at all.

For mk. hit back and grab at the same time. It works for me? Then just dthrow and take a step forward while grabbing.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
I figured it'd be too hard to explain. With MK I've found that if I flick the control stick instead of just tilting I land the bthrow every time and it gives a lot of leeway surprisingly. I guess I'll keep practicing it vs snake and MK :/.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
You seriously just need to practice until you get it, there is no point in asking online it really won't help. I would recommend just learning to do bthrow -> dthrow over and over again rather than walking across the stage on mk. Snake I would say dthrow -> Fthrow is fine but Dthrow -> Dthrow is probably easier. If you are having trouble with the backthrow on snake(pretty sure it's only 1 frame) you might want to learn how to bthrow hobble him because that is easy.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
I hate the bthrow to dthrow. I use the bthrow to fthrow on a few characters, but overall I am most consistent with the dthrow to fthrow, and I am not gonna change that, because I can switch directions very consistently vs every character except for MK and snake.

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
It's 3 frames for bthrow on snake

You need to adjust spacing AND timing. I can wall of text explaining it if you want alphicans, but it won't be done by tomorrow. However, snake is in the top tier on "hard to CG" based on spacing windows based on my primitive testing.

Roller

Smash Legend
Wait. You guys have trouble with the Bthrow on snake? I more often screw up on grabbing the following dthrow due to spacing errors with popo. (at higher percents)

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Yes, I can't bthrow snake for the life of me. Dthrow to fthrow I find snake is one of, if not the easiest characters to do it too. It just takes so much space that I usually have to go back and forth a full stage length before I kill him. Hobbling usually ruins my rhythm, then my cgs turn out to be very half damaged.

Zync

Smash Journeyman
Is ROB terribly hard for ice climbers? I got on grand finals on a tourney today, threw ice climbers vs my oponent(ROB main) once and i got ***** miserably by his spacing, spam and him separating nana with incredible ease, oh, and it was on yoshis island. Help plox :.;

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Today I just realized that my TV is not even close to the same as a normal TV. Like I tried doing CG's today in friendlies before the tournament and dropped them every time, where as the day before I was doing friendlies with people and consistently 0-deathing... A lesson learned :/. Don't play on a TV that lags if you expect to play at a tournament which uses normal TVs. Goddamn, I was so hyped to use ICs too.

Sieguest

Smash Master
Today I just realized that my TV is not even close to the same as a normal TV. Like I tried doing CG's today in friendlies before the tournament and dropped them every time, where as the day before I was doing friendlies with people and consistently 0-deathing... A lesson learned :/. Don't play on a TV that lags if you expect to play at a tournament which uses normal TVs. Goddamn, I was so hyped to use ICs too.
This is why I don't really practice CGs that much anymore, and if I do I practice with my eyes closed. x.x

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Yeah... It's weird because I've played on normal TVs before and never had problems, but this time it was a serious problem. I am definitely gonna stop using my TV and will definitely quit wifi (I don't use ICs on wifi, but it definitely affects my game substantially).

Roller

Smash Legend
Is ROB terribly hard for ice climbers? I got on grand finals on a tourney today, threw ice climbers vs my oponent(ROB main) once and i got ***** miserably by his spacing, spam and him separating nana with incredible ease, oh, and it was on yoshis island. Help plox :.;
I'm bad at the ROB matchup. Sorry :(
^ this. idk any ICs that excel in the matchup, I'd like help on it myself.
Yeah... It's weird because I've played on normal TVs before and never had problems, but this time it was a serious problem. I am definitely gonna stop using my TV and will definitely quit wifi (I don't use ICs on wifi, but it definitely affects my game substantially).
Yeah, I cant practice while at school due to me only having an hdtv in my room. Luckily we had multiple smashfests per week there to keep me relatively competent. If you can afford it, a lot of towns have stores that sell things such as old TV's for really cheap. Or if you see a local garage sale/use ebay. You could probably get a smallish TV for $10-15 easy.

byron

Smash Apprentice
I have a question about chain grabs. When I chaingrab I grab with popo,then press grab a second time,b-throw and catch with nana press grab again,d-throw and catch with popo then repeat and finish with a d-throw to u-smash. Doing this I can cg ,marth,game and watch,pikachu, kirby, metaknight, peach, zelda/sheik,olimar,toon link, mario,falcon, diddy kong, ness,lucas, and the space animals. I can't chain grab anybody else tho. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Thedude3000

Smash Rookie
I Just started IC 2 days ago and I love them, i put them in my top 5 character even though i use 17 characters in Brawl. Still R.O.B. is my main and I have no problem fighting against him, i would say that if you have bad match up try playing with the other characther to learn a bit more about him.

As for the IC's chaingrabs, I have a bit of difficulty with the grab, B-throw with Popo then grab with Nana then B-throw again and grab with Popo, any tips??

Roller

Smash Legend
most people don't use bthrow->bthrow as their main cg. It's slower to start than say dthrow or fthrow. So at low percents it is easier to mash out of it. I'd focus on b-d throw and/or b-f throw depending on character.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
I thought if anything it was faster, it's just that it stales so quickly that it makes the CG annoyingly longer and thus prone to more slipups o_O

My favorite overall has been bthrow -> fthrow alternating, fthrow is technically their most damaging alternating throw (although not by much, it helps) and the fact that fthrow is constant among the cast means that I only have to time bthrow differently and not mess up the buffered fthrow. The only time I don't use it is against MK/really lightweights or heavy characters.

btw my favorite IC MU is against Olimar, they seem to cream Olimar pretty soundly.

byron

Smash Apprentice
You have to wait a little longer between throwing and grabbing on heavies in comparison to light and midweights.
Is there a exact time frame to wait for grabbing the heavy weight characters?
I'm trying to chain grab king ddd but I just can't do it. I know you said I have to wait a little longer but I just can't get the timing down

ch33s3

Smash Lord
If he uses multi hit, definitely behind. Otherwise either up for the nair or away unless you're very close or very good at SDI. At least imo.

:phone:

Sieguest

Smash Master
Is there a exact time frame to wait for grabbing the heavy weight characters?
I'm trying to chain grab king ddd but I just can't do it. I know you said I have to wait a little longer but I just can't get the timing down
Timing changes from character to character and to an extent on the percent damage your opponent has at the moment. So there's no exact time frame for any weight class.

To be completely honest though, timing is usually not the thing you should worry too much about, I personally think a lot of people grasp the timing aspect easily. It's the spacing that you really need to think about.

Roller

Smash Legend
To be completely honest though, timing is usually not the thing you should worry too much about, I personally think a lot of people grasp the timing aspect easily. It's the spacing that you really need to think about.
^ I agree with this. Odds are your spacing is a bit off. Nana and Popo have set positions they should be in/moved to when throwing. Try going a little farther back with nana, etc. Mess with that aspect of it to try n' get it down.

DeLux

btw my favorite IC MU is against Olimar, they seem to cream Olimar pretty soundly.
If the Olimar knows what they're doing, it's not that bad for them. Like slight disadvantage bad.

It's just a super super super super complex matchup for them while it's fairly linear for us.

DeLux

Using footstool as an IB lock setup has been known. I've been thinking about using that in the ditto/doubles situation actually lol

byron

Smash Apprentice
Using footstool as an IB lock setup has been known. I've been thinking about using that in the ditto/doubles situation actually lol
I know the footstool IB lock setup isn't new. its just that when ever I see people use it they only hit the enemy with one IB, grab him again when he is forced to get up, then do more grab combos. In this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OBD4mGQ0v4

9B does the IB lock the does a lot of d-throw,grab, b-throw, grab f-throw, grab ect. Im not that good at cg snake so I wondered if you could do the IB lock and just spam that, grab him when he is forced to stand up again and repeat that instead of repeating chain grabs and doing the footstool IB 1 or 2 times. Also what is SDI? is that when you point the c-stick in the direction of the stage when you get hit?

DeLux

You'll probably need two conditions:

1. Your opponent is bad at SDI - this would be the most important
2. You can walking IB lock

If you can do that, then feel free to run the clock with an IB lock

Top Bottom