• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General ICs Q&A Thread

Smoom77

Smash Master
Yeah basically ice blocks are good mid range, especially like a Hylian desync IB.

If he:
-approaching bair, pivot grab
-retreating bair, sometimes a DSG, but most of the time a good yoshi will do a breversed neutral B. Just watch out for that
you can also try a blizzard against most of his attacks close range. It's really easy to hit him with blizzard as long as you're close.

pivot grab, ibs, blizzard at close range. one of the worst things you can do is being swallowed.

i wish my set i won against polt was recorded :(

Roller

Smash Legend
You say to watch out for the breversed neutral b. What exactly are you supposed to do against it? Because I haven't found a good way of punishing a yoshi that utilizes that well.

Sieguest

Smash Master
K thanks! I don't pivot grab much is that like a heavy nut mistake from me? Lol
It is a mistake depending on who you're playing.

Characters like Captain Falcon, Sonic, Wario and the like have very few moves, if any, that have disjointed hitboxes. Which means you can grab them out of an attack. Other characters with disjointed hitbox take away that advantage.

The major thing you have to watch out for though is not getting baited, a lot of characters that don't have a lot of disjointed hitboxes know that they can get grabbed. So more often than not they'll try baiting it.

Smoom77

Smash Master
You say to watch out for the breversed neutral b. What exactly are you supposed to do against it? Because I haven't found a good way of punishing a yoshi that utilizes that well.
Blizzard, specially space a DSG. If he's doing it towards you, you can TRY a spot dodge, but you can never be sure if it'll work or not.

Mr. game and watch

Smash Master
Man... Yoshi tuff. K his double jump has super armour so I'll wait till he's at high percents. I like getin kills by d-throw fair on the edge. Or a good old hylian charged usmash uthrow

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
Hello Ice Climbers boards; just a question. What do you think about the R.O.B. MU and why? Thanks in advance!

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
As you may very well know, Ice Climbers' Neutral-B animation cancels into a quick recovery animation when their feet hit the ground.

As I'm sure you know, the first Neutral-B done in a jump causes a small hop, so you cannot short-hop and Neutral-B right before you land to take advantage of the shorter recovery time.

However, you can fall through a platform and Neutral-B slightly below it, causing you to land on the platform immediately after firing an Ice Block. That means that multiple Ice Blocks can be fired at a faster rate. I imagine if someone were very skilled, doing it while desynched would look rather pretty. Also, if you're falling from up high, and you've already Neutral-B'd once, I imagine you could do a landing Neutral-B and follow it like you would for a desynched Nana Ice Block, more or less.

I'm not sure how helpful they would be, or if it's a widely-known idea, but, I thought I would point it out.

Smoom77

Smash Master
I do that sometimes for fun. It's pretty flashy, but when are we going to need to be desynced on TOP of a platform doing IBs?

Not mad, just sayin.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I do that sometimes for fun. It's pretty flashy, but when are we going to need to be desynced on TOP of a platform doing IBs?

Not mad, just sayin.
Ice Climbers in Doubles. >:D

Also, perhaps certain stages would lend itself to that. Brinstar? Halberd? I dunno, heh.

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
its useful on bf and smashville. could possibly be useful on brinstar, though there are too many problems for ICs ont hat stage to really stay them. Halberd would definitly be a candidate for that, though. possibly Delphino as well, though that would probably be more situational. :/

Smoom77

Smash Master
I can see it being used as a more effective retreating ice block. It takes a while to set up to do desynced jumping (backwards) IBs .

Sieguest

Smash Master
Because we are an equal opportunity board that does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, sex, or character used primarily in Super Smash Brothers Brawl?

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Because we are an equal opportunity board that does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, sex, or character used primarily in Super Smash Brothers Brawl?
I discriminate against Meta Knight mains, though.

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
I think I'm bad at the ROB matchup. Because I lose it.

That is what I think of the matchup and why

Sieguest

Smash Master
It's the curse of the IC board.

None of the players ever contribute anything to get past 2 stages.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Pretty much all you will get is "We best on neutrals and bad on everything else lololol"

DeLux

If you guys really really really really wanted to do a stage discussion, I'll post all the desync shenanigans that I can think of for them.

things like:

- DON'T HOBBLE HERE
- Don't try to CG here
- matchup stuff that's my opinion
- whether or not you should CG to kill to higher percents
- more if I can think of it

Mr. game and watch

Smash Master
a local hobo had jungle japes legal. but i think i speak for us all when i say SCREW RUMBLE FALLS. gannon can beat MK there just cause the stage ***** you hard core.

Linkvader

Smash Journeyman
Should I use Ice Climbers in tournaments only when I have mastered the chaingrab and desynch? Should I wait for more training into their ATs before?

Smoom77

Smash Master
You need exp with them in general. Even if you have desyncing and cgs down, no exp will get you nowhere.

DeLux

In my opinion, the internal battle with being technical under pressure is a majority of the battle. It woudl benefit you greatly to expose yourself to that as much as possible in order to grow accustomed to it. You may not win, but you'll improve that way.

Roller

Smash Legend
In my opinion, the internal battle with being technical under pressure is a majority of the battle.
This. I can not describe how frustrating it was when I could do the cg's perfectly at home vs cpus, then in a real match with pressure on I would **** up. Took a little while to get over that. It's best to get experience in intense situations as often as possible.

So pretty much what everyone else has said.

Linkvader

Smash Journeyman
No, I'll stick to Falco for tournament matches. I'll try and get in other matches with Ice Climbers against different people for some experience.

Top Bottom