• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General ICs Q&A Thread

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
nairs n' stuff.

Dmac camps like a pro tho, I know your pain :(

Luckily TL's never been great against shield, bombs are pretty much the worst things you need to worry about.

toobusytocare

Smash Lord
lol phil, bombs are the #1 thing you need to worry about

the other projectiles are slow as **** and dont protect him from uairs from below

i still take dmac rather close with ICs but its such a pain that i usually just go wario

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
lol, I play FIOD + another TL all the time, plus others regularly enough. *TLexp!* Actually I prefer this matchup as MK, much less work to deal with it all, but I can never be bothered switching from ICs for it in friendlies so all the exp goes to them lol.

anyway they're going to be throwing **** at you constantly so learn to walking powershield approach, it works wonders and in my experience really throws TL players off their game.

when you're close, main thing you need to worry about is zair, learn to predict when they'll do it (eg, most TLs I play will always SHAD into zair but never SHAD for anything else) and PS-grab, gg. If you get hit by zair on the ground, spotdodge immediately, shield covers most of their followups but they'll also commonly grab so spotdodge covers this too in addition to the others - mainly usmash/nair/dashattack). also, running away with bomb in hand = JC bombthrow. them facing away also generally means sh bair, be wary.

of course, keep away from them in the air, you can't win. but keep in mind our uair > their dair (pretty much every TL I play finds dair irresistible, esp offstage). If you notice they like dair then bait them to do it and dashing shieldgrab or PS-grab or pivotgrab them or something, lots of options here. if you're above them keep in mind dair will not cancel out with TL's aerials so its not that hot for getting grounded (it will of course cancel projectiles though), but do find some way to get to the ground quickly though.

in general try to approach diagonally from below, this cuts off most of their options except boomerang which has very slow startup. failing this approach head on, you can deal with spam by PSing as mentioned above and TLs will also want to jump around a lot so that puts you into the ideal approaching situation anyway. never approach from above (pretty much the same for any matchup here lol).

also, be careful when picking your recoveries, again the air is not where you want to be vs TL. unfortunately the best thing you can do here is try and read what they want to do cause theres so much they -can- do, but in general I find the most success with side b, just be wary that any aerial will gimp you out of it. also if they like dair then bait it in a recovery situation for lols results. :p

as far as stages/starters go, avoid battlefield, go fd if possible or if that's banned then smashville. it's too easy for them to camp you on battlefield, much more work to keep ahead there than it is on fd/sv. ban brinstar. other tough stages for TL are lylat, yoshi's brawl and frigate.

imo this ones somewhere along the lines of 50:50 to 60:40 us, definitely in our favor but not by that much.

lol that was longer than originally intended.
tl;dr ps stuff and watch for zair, shieldgrab gg; you're ****ed in the air or while recovering; play on FD/SV avoid BF.

r3d d09

Smash Master
I agree with everything that E_A has said. there is a TL that wants to MM all the time, and that's the only exp i get from him.

funny thing is i went to BF and i outcamped him. but only because i knew his style xD

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
lol phil, bombs are the #1 thing you need to worry about

the other projectiles are slow as **** and dont protect him from uairs from below

i still take dmac rather close with ICs but its such a pain that i usually just go wario
Yeah bombs are annoying, like the splashing hitbox I've experienced a couple of times just makes me lol.

One time it hit me while I was standing under a Lylat platform, just walking, and while standing under a SV platform.

Isn't PSing hard in general as ICs, let alone against all the projectiles? I'm sure if mastered that'd make your game against TL so much easier though.

Teh Future

Smash Master
PS projectiles is easier because nana is behind popo slightly and the projectile (usually) disappears where as a reg. attack would hit her before her shield goes up.

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
yeah what future said. lol

also sorry if anyone found my post scatterbrained. xD

Smoom77

Smash Master
Let me set this straight. Alternating grabs ARE more efficient, faster, and less risky. Hobbling is slower, less efficient, and much more risky. I only hobble when I don't feel comfortable alting.

Only learn hobbling to a point when you can do it on heavies because you wanna be fancy or you can't get the cg down. You can learn hobbling faster than the cg on a certain character.

CGS ARE BETTER THAN HOBBLING! LEARN CGS AND HOBBLING WILL BE OF THE PAST!

And future is correct on the PSing. Projectiles miss Nana if you PS it running/dashing. Not sure about standing though.

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
i dunno but future not trolling anymore has really thrown me off.

are you implying they weren't annoying already?

r3d d09

Smash Master
He's just a bad troll.

and there is just a lot of dumb stuff being discussed lately

I choose you, FROZENPOOP. Frozenpoop, use your mean ways and scare these fools away.

Smoom77

Smash Master
Yeah, Im getting more bothered by people that I shouldn't be bothered by. It's sorta transfering to online.

BadKarma

Smash Journeyman
Durring wifi friendlies how are the stages selected? Like if I pick fd and my friend picks bf what determines which stage gets picked?
Thanks =]

Smoom77

Smash Master
Yeah, I always wondered that but this isn't the place to ask that. People don't really play wifi here.

Smoom77

Smash Master
Remind me, isn't one of the moves that activates "IC fusion" mach tornado?

GL trying to do that though I guess lol.
Lol, yeah. But what kindof advantage would you have? They disapear only when they grab a certain ledge. It could stop scrooging, but they won't have to scrooge since they're fighting Sopo. Aircamping still beats fusion.

Top Bottom