• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General ICs Q&A Thread

xoxokev

Smash Lord
i have 2 questions:

sometimes when im trying to recover, i use up+b but Nana doesn't tether, both Ice Climbers do short jumps as if they were solo climbers... any reasons as to why this might be?

also, i was wondering... how far can Nana be so that you can use up+b to save her?... i mean when she's about to die

thanks in advance

JustNoOne

Smash Lord
Question:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=159767

Is their a video showcasing all those ways to desynch? If not I want to ask if I should make one ^^; although I haven't -mastered- all of them, I can always edit my 10000 minutes of mistakes and show the correct way, show the correct way in slow motion, tell how its done (first... of course)....
No there hasn't been one yet that I know of so you can if you want.

Hey guys!!!

I'm wondering what the best way to finish off a p bthrow-> n dthrow chain grab would be. I usually end it with an n bthrow->charged p upsmash, but I don't feel like I'm being as efficient as possible. Is there a different ending I should be using?

Also, I'm having some difficulty with the p bthrow-> n bthrow chaingrab. I can do exactly 4 bthrows before popo is too far from nana to do it again. I'm then forced to n bthrow-> turn around->p grab or just dthrow with nana after the fourth bthrow. I'd like to keep the regular bthrow chaingrab going though.

I could probably upload some short vids of what I'm doing [wrong] if it would help answer my questions.
-thanks in advance
Charging an usmash would be best in you are in the middle of the stage, charge a Fsmash if you're closer to the side of the stage since IMO since if you're closer to the side of the stage... why Usmash when you can just knock them out sideways?

All I can say to your last question is to buffer your grabs or just wait for Nana to come back to slide to you when Popo is holding the opponent.

i have 2 questions:

sometimes when im trying to recover, i use up+b but Nana doesn't tether, both Ice Climbers do short jumps as if they were solo climbers... any reasons as to why this might be?

also, i was wondering... how far can Nana be so that you can use up+b to save her?... i mean when she's about to die

thanks in advance
They don't tether because they are not synced or something....

And the last question is hard to answer since there have been some wacky save like when Nana is about to fall to her doom and suddenly Popo uses Belay and save Nana, sometimes this won't happen. Mabye I'll try some Belay testing when I get back home.

smaci92

Smash Lord
Question:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=159767

Is their a video showcasing all those ways to desynch? If not I want to ask if I should make one ^^; although I haven't -mastered- all of them, I can always edit my 10000 minutes of mistakes and show the correct way, show the correct way in slow motion, tell how its done (first... of course)....
i already started making one 2 weeks ago and I've pretty much mastered all the desyncs on that thread...it should be hopefully be done soon :bee: I don't think I'll do the slow motion thing though...It will take too much time, and I don't think it will really help people whether it's slow motion or not...I will do the desyncs and explain how to do them and how you know if you're or doing it right or wrong...

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
I have a question...yesterday I was playing silly random matches and I got the Ice Climbers...the thing is, something weird happened that made Nana do a SLIDING Fsmash while Popo was just walking (IIRC)...she was sliding slowly, like Bowser's walking speed...is it normal? O_o

smaci92

Smash Lord
I have a question...yesterday I was playing silly random matches and I got the Ice Climbers...the thing is, something weird happened that made Nana do a SLIDING Fsmash while Popo was just walking (IIRC)...she was sliding slowly, like Bowser's walking speed...is it normal? O_o
well it's not really "normal" cause no characters can't do this. but hylian made a thread about how you can use this to your advantage: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=176993

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
Oooh, it's done through desync then. I just found it weird because Nana's slide covered like 2 DK bodies, it wasn't just a bit like normal sliding smashes.

K 2

Smash Lord
Questions:

1) To those who have mastered alt chaingrabs (let's say, consistantly from 0-80% for 75% of the cast), how long did it take for you to get the timing down? I've been practicing on training mode and I can get around 30-40% everytime I get a grab off. Should I start practicing on Lvl __ computers or should I stay in training mode to practice chaingrabbing?

2) Why does Nana sometimes teleport when I use up b and side b, while other times she doesn't? Does she have to be within a certain distance from Popo? I ask this because I was playing today and I got separated. Nana was on the stage and Popo was trying to recover. I used my up b and she just stood there while I died. Other times, I managed to make Nana teleport to be when I use Belay or Squall. How does this teleporting thing work?

3) What's the timing for the dthrow chaingrab? On Fthrow, a rough estimate of the timing to press "Z" is when the IC's say "ey!" Is there a visual or audio clue as to when to press grab for the dthrow?

Thanks.

Edit: Opps, I forgot to ask one more question. I read somewhere on the IC baords (can't remember where) that certain characters can be CG'd easier with different throws. I think Ness, Lucus, and MK can be (relatively) easy to CG by using Bthrow, while others are easier to be CG'd with dthrow and/or fthrow. Is there a list somewhere on which throws I should use on each character?

smaci92

Smash Lord
1) it took me like 3 weeks lol...it's a lot of work!!! :crazy:

2) Good question. It has to do with timing and distance...like for example if nana does belay, and is falling to her death, while she is doing belay, you can't save her with a popo belay if you do it right after. Nana has to finish her belay animation before you can save her with a popo belay. i'm still not quite sure how the teleporting thing works though...I think if has to do with syncing and desyncing and timing and distance, but I'm not really sure. :( And I think the reason you died is because popo has to be above nana before you can gain the big height thing with belay...it sounds like nana was above you. When I was playing bunny the other day, she was edgeguarding my nana, and my popo was in the middle of the stage. I randomly did belay even though i didn't think she'd teleport cause she was so far away. but guess what: whe appeared out of nowhere!! We were both pretty shocked. here's 2 amazing saves by KRDsonic you can study: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqkyizLhlvk
something similar to this happened to me...except i was even farther O.o

3) The timing for a dthrow is actually quite easy. I usually do nana dthrow to popo grab. and the visual clue is dashgrab with popo right when the opponent bounces off the ground from the dthrow...

ChibiIceClimberz

Smash Ace
NNID
ch33bdragonite
3DS FC
5370-0405-0580
1. If you want to chain grab online, practice with your friends online. If you want to practice offline and you don't want to do it online due to lag, then Training Mode. It took me days to work on it, and then I got used to the timing. Once you got the basic altgrabs and those stuff then learn the harder ones.

2. When she doesn't teleport on you, that means she's either very far away from you or she's desynched from another special move.

3. The timing for d-throw.. I hate d-throw altgrabs.. meh, it works on high percents but it's especially hard on high percents. After Popo releases, just grab. I think that the timing can be late on low percents since the characters don't fly high on the air yet.

4. MK, Lucas, Ness are easy to b-throw and hard to f-throw, and probably in the mid for d-throw. B-throw -> B-throw is a good altgrab IMO. D-throw.. it's hard and easy for certain characters I guess, but don't know which one.

B0mbe1c

Smash Lord
D-throw is easiest for heavy characters. Depending on weight, characters take longer to be re-grabbed from a d-throw, w/ I believe Jiggly being fastest, while some is slowest... (DK or another heavy)

K 2

Smash Lord
Thanks for your help everyone! Those questions have been bugging me forever!

K 2

Smash Lord
Grr...one more question. What's the best way to recover with one Ice Climber? The computer uses ice blocks to recover when its separated from Popo. Should I use Ice Blocks, Squall, or Belay (I'm only 1 climber so all my recovery options suck.)?

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
depends on where you are. are you talking about after being sent flying? because the ice blocks stall you during the animation so its a good way to steadily get closer to the stage so a solo squall might actually work.

K 2

Smash Lord
Yes, Nana's dead and I'm solo popo. Marth fsmashes me off the stage. How do I recover/prevent getting gimped/avoide edgeguarding attempts?

ignore the fire

Smash Journeyman
you really don't have many recovery options.
ice blocks may throw off your opponents timing a little, as it stalls, but using squall is really your only choice. make sure you get down the rhythm for tapping B so you can stay in the air as long as possible. as far as being edgeguarded by marth, you better hope he makes a mistake =/

also, there was a question above regarding CGing online. i would NEVER practice online. the timing for CGs are VERY strict, and there's always a slight difference with online lag and such. i'm pretty good at CGing online, but it's because i have a "feel" for CGing. when online, you won't be able to use the visual or audio cues because of lag, but if you can develop a feel for the CGing, then you'll be able to do it. once you get good enough at it, it's almost like you can FEEL how heavier a character is just by CGing them.

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
marth huh? you better hope they trip... its possible (i've done it a few times myself) but chances are that they'll just side smash you during the squall lag and you'll go off again. like i always tell people: you gotta get creative with the ice climbers; Everything you think should work probably won't, and everything that shouldn't work just might. :p

smaci92

Smash Lord
I usually try to be as unpredictable as I can with my recovery even though there is only really 2 choices:
1) Fall down---belay to the edge
2) squall hammer

it all depends on the situation you're in...

Jacko

Smash Apprentice
This might have already been answered but I don't feel like reading through this whole thread

I just started playing as Ice Climbers and I can do forward throw chain grabs and down throw chain grabs ok, but I can't do back throws. The only way I can chain grab with the back throw is if i start off with it. If I do a forward throw first and regrab with nana, when I try and do a back throw popo is so far behind nana that I can never continue the chaingrab.

What am I doing wrong?
Hopefully this makes sense, sorry if its confusing.

B0mbe1c

Smash Lord
For safety, only Bthrow with Popo, because you can wait until Nana "slides" back next to you, then Bthrow to her.
But, to master:

Bthrow to Nana -> Bthrow -> Popo Pivot grab -> Anything.

Jacko

Smash Apprentice
For safety, only Bthrow with Popo, because you can wait until Nana "slides" back next to you, then Bthrow to her.
But, to master:

Bthrow to Nana -> Bthrow -> Popo Pivot grab -> Anything.
Ok thanks that helps a lot, are there any visual clues or something like that to help me get the timing down better, because I miss the pivot grab a lot.
And one more question. When my opponents are at high percentages and I want to charge a smash with nana, I always have to wait a little after I grab my opponent or else I just shield. Am I doing something wrong or is this normal?

B0mbe1c

Smash Lord
can you guys see my avi?
Yes.
@ Jacko: when Nana is "bthrowing" run behind and then press the direction to face her and Z. If done right, they should end up in your grab.
And, it happens to me sometimes, I guess its normal. Probably from pressing the buttons too fast I presume.

K 2

Smash Lord
This has nothing to do with anything, but this is the Q&A thread, so...

How are the Ice Climbers related? brothers/sisters? lovers? friends?

Edit: One more thing. Let's say Popo is on one side of FD and Nana got separated and is on the other side of FD. Mean ol' Metaknight decides to try to kill Nana (Popo is hopelessly too far to help Nana). If I smash the c-stick towards MK, will Nana perform an fsmash (after 6 frames of delay plus the startup lag)?

Sorry for the avalanche of questions. The IC's are so unique and have so many wierd things (some good, some bad). It's hard adapting from rather straight forward characters.

smaci92

Smash Lord
This has nothing to do with anything, but this is the Q&A thread, so...

How are the Ice Climbers related? brothers/sisters? lovers? friends?

Edit: One more thing. Let's say Popo is on one side of FD and Nana got separated and is on the other side of FD. Mean ol' Metaknight decides to try to kill Nana (Popo is hopelessly too far to help Nana). If I smash the c-stick towards MK, will Nana perform an fsmash (after 6 frames of delay plus the startup lag)?

Sorry for the avalanche of questions. The IC's are so unique and have so many wierd things (some good, some bad). It's hard adapting from rather straight forward characters.
I think they are friends...^_^

somebody correct me if I'm wrong :chuckle:

and your second question: I should go test it out...I'm guessing that if she's too far away, the move won't register...

Swordplay

Smash Lord
Alright question time....

I love iceclimbers....And I love ice climber chain grabs (when I am ice climbers of course)

I find it easy to chaingrab big and medium sized people.

It is the small ones that get me. They are just to small and escape my grab range....Timing is so hard.

Recently I have been doing grab releases. Where I grab...grab hit. and release. I send nana/popo out of in front so they slide right into some more grab action.

I've only done this in training mode though and I was wondering if it actually works in a real match. I havn't tested yet but Id like to know before my next tourney.....

smaci92

Smash Lord
swordsplay starting Ice Climberz?! cool :cool: lulz

ok for small characters, it's kinda the same as chaingrabbing medium characters EXCEPT, your timing must be more precise. If your just starting Ice climberz, I suggest you learn when to use their moves before chaingrabbing though...cause chaingrabbing won't do you any good if there are really good players in the tourney...(good players are pretty good at avoiding and getting out of grabs)

and the release grab works in a real game (I not sure which characters it works on though :confused:). but I saw Hylian do it on a marth before...

lain

Smash Master
Small characters are easy because you can just bthrow -> dthrow all day lol.

Heavy characters i just do Dthrow -> Fthrow all across the stage.

Swordplay

Smash Lord
I just F-throw on larger/medium characters all day.
Small characters I need to find another way. The timing is hard for me on small characters. Especially on higher percents.....

O and actually....I've been playing ice climbers for about a month. Just not consistently or at higher levels of play.

I guess If I can't choose a person with a sword, a hammer will have to do :D
That's the conclusion I cam to.

Thanks for the information. If you do find a list of characters the grab release works on pleasee share it. Something like that could be useful to me.......

B0mbe1c

Smash Lord
I believe ICs are Bro and Sis. ^: |

Uh.. I just dthrow them, and you have to grab really fast after initiating the throw.

Reapd

Smash Apprentice
No I'm almost certain they're married. Oh and I can't get f-throw chain grab. I can do a dthrow chaingrab and a bthrow chaingrab but I can't get fthrow chaingrabs. Any help?:) Oh and smaci, I want to see a video of you playing as IC's

Funen1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Funen1
No I'm almost certain they're married. Oh and I can't get f-throw chain grab. I can do a dthrow chaingrab and a bthrow chaingrab but I can't get fthrow chaingrabs. Any help?:) Oh and smaci, I want to see a video of you playing as IC's
For the F-throw chain, one of the main problems of pulling it off is that you have to place the other IC in just the right position (which can change at higher percents). Tilting the joystick somewhat lightly is the way to go - practice that until you get an idea of how far you need to make Nana/Popo walk to be in the right spot to grab (it's a little farther than you may think at first). Just be sure not to accidentally make him/her dash when you throw - that will usually make you overshoot.

And I thought their relationship is not set in stone. Rumor has it that during Melee's development, Sakurai wanted the modern ICs to be lovers, but as far I can tell that idea never really stuck.

smaci92

Smash Lord
Oh and smaci, I want to see a video of you playing as IC's
I'll hopefully put some up soon as I'm playing in an online tourney soon...Don't expect chaingrabs though, cause that's pretty hard to do with lag. Also, I'll be working on mine and bunny's combo video soon...so lots to come I think ^_^

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
one of the mods or administrators...but i've tried, and they don't listen. :( don't change your username! your username is awesome compared to mine...(mine is my first and last name combined haha)
i was just considering my other online names:

AmericanHobo
Çhørøπzøπ

i like them, but i guess FrozenPopo isn't that bad...

Swordplay

Smash Lord
1st of all. To prove I do play IC........Smaci this is for you.

I use this banner on forums where I can have more than 1......

2nd of all.

Do you guys have anybody that records matches and puts them up like we do in the Link boards? I would love to get some of my IC matches up. (competitive)

I even have a funny one where I 4 stock this sonic on basic brawl.
Poor guy didn't have chance. He was so bad, he couldn't figure out how to beat my ice blocks going back and forth in the pit of green hill zone. It was kinda sad but I'm sure you'd all get a kick out of it.

Top Bottom