• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General ICs Q&A Thread

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
1st of all. To prove I do play IC........Smaci this is for you.

I use this banner on forums where I can have more than 1......

2nd of all.

Do you guys have anybody that records matches and puts them up like we do in the Link boards? I would love to get some of my IC matches up. (competitive)

I even have a funny one where I 4 stock this sonic on basic brawl.
Poor guy didn't have chance. He was so bad, he couldn't figure out how to beat my ice blocks going back and forth in the pit of green hill zone. It was kinda sad but I'm sure you'd all get a kick out of it.
we have a vid thread stickied.

smaci92

Smash Lord
1st of all. To prove I do play IC........Smaci this is for you.

I use this banner on forums where I can have more than 1......

2nd of all.

Do you guys have anybody that records matches and puts them up like we do in the Link boards? I would love to get some of my IC matches up. (competitive)

I even have a funny one where I 4 stock this sonic on basic brawl.
Poor guy didn't have chance. He was so bad, he couldn't figure out how to beat my ice blocks going back and forth in the pit of green hill zone. It was kinda sad but I'm sure you'd all get a kick out of it.
Ya, we have a video thread...but you'll have to record the matches yourself and ask nintendogs to put it in his vid thread

smaci92

Smash Lord
approaching is a problem >.<
are you kidding me?! lol approaching seems so easy for me with Ice Climberz. They have like the most unpredictable approach ever. you can approach with ftilt, any aerial (even dair---if used unpredictably), blizzards, ice blocks, squall hammer...etc...so many options! They can even desync their approches to make it even more confusing...

Swordplay

Smash Lord
No no no.....I'm not asking if you have a vid section. EVERY board has a vid section.

I was asking if you have anybody I could send it to to record it and send me a link from something like rapid fire.
...but you'll have to record the matches yourself and ask nintendogs to put it in his vid thread
But I guess I got my answer.....sad I have no recording equipment to transfer replays to computer.

smaci92

Smash Lord
No no no.....I'm not asking if you have a vid section. EVERY board has a vid section.

I was asking if you have anybody I could send it to to record it and send me a link from something like rapid fire.

But I guess I got my answer.....sad I have no recording equipment to transfer replays to computer.
oh, well, you can send the replays and stuff to me...I put up vids for people...

edit: I forgot to tell you that your video would go on my youtube channel though...

B0mbe1c

Smash Lord
I have a digital camera... If I find it, I could record, put it on comp, and send it to you (E-mail/IMing).

Swordplay

Smash Lord
That would be fine......smaci...you can put the stuff on your youtube....I'll probably download and upload on my channel as well though.....

I'm gonna get a few more matches in. Maybe I'll send some in the near future. I hope you'll laugh at the sonic 1 at least. (Its 100% not competitive but funny to watch)

I'm gonna add your #'s smaci

smaci92

Smash Lord
That would be fine......smaci...you can put the stuff on your youtube....I'll probably download and upload on my channel as well though.....

I'm gonna get a few more matches in. Maybe I'll send some in the near future. I hope you'll laugh at the sonic 1 at least. (Its 100% not competitive but funny to watch)

I'm gonna add your #'s smaci
alright, I'm dying to test my new capture card! Remind me to add your wii #...cause I forget this kind of stuff easily...just send me a pm in like 2 days telling me to add your wii # :) and you actually don't need to rip your videos off my channel...Just give me your email or something, and I'll send the vids there...

Reapd

Smash Apprentice
approaching is a problem >.<
Yea right you dirty troll!!!!!! LOL jkjk. But its not.

Oh and I think I found another tech we can use. I'm not sure if this is new........... But I'll tell ya anyway. When you grab an opponent, you can control nana right? Well I thought of using blizzard along with a downward throw. Not new probably, but you de-sync just enough so your squall hammers are de-synced. Then you force your opponent across the stage until you get to the edge. The you are de-synced enough to have a alternating ice block, which you can use to edge guard. It works pretty well on middle weights, but I haven't tried it on light or heavy-weights.
And I have another one but its more simple. You de-sync and start alternating ice blocks the you can either use popo's squall hammer to move while using nana's IB. Or you can use nana's SH to defend while you use Popo's IB to cause damage.
Again, I'm not sure if these are new. Just thought they might be helpful. :):):):):):):):)

And swordplay I live near you. I would like to brawl you. I hopefully got bettererererererererer than when I played smaci.

K 2

Smash Lord
When you get your opponent in a IBL, should you just mash b as fast as you can or should you actually time pressing b?

B0mbe1c

Smash Lord
I just mash it, because that still keeps it perfectly spaced. If I try to time it, I usually go too slow so Nana catches up, thus returning to near synced. :(

lain

Smash Master
SideB can just be mashed to gain a lot of height, but you can gain more height then double jumping+upbing if you hit it fast AND at the right timing.

ChibiIceClimberz

Smash Ace
NNID
ch33bdragonite
3DS FC
5370-0405-0580
^ I believe their Squall's height is near R.O.B's, or about R.O.B's recovery with one jump. You need the right timing for that rhythm that the Squall makes those bumping sounds, and there, a high Squall, and the after the move, you can see them separated a lot after the move.
And I'll do that list after Squall's move.

If not separared, but together = Not even a high Squall.
If a bit separared when Nana's above Popo = Moderate Squall.
If they're separated normally in between = High Squall.
If they're VERY separated = Very high Squall.

That's it.. I often get the High Squall one so I focus on mashing the B lightly and fast (when I mash it hard, Squall goes at moderate height), and 2nd goes to Moderate. I just can't seem to get the Very High Squall one, it's impossible to practice and it's so random to get to a very high height.

B0mbe1c

Smash Lord
It usually works for a while, but then the ice blocks started getting off rhythm and my opponent stands up. -.-
By that time my opponents are right by the edge. You could always just run up and Upsmash them.

lain

Smash Master
^ I believe their Squall's height is near R.O.B's, or about R.O.B's recovery with one jump. You need the right timing for that rhythm that the Squall makes those bumping sounds, and there, a high Squall, and the after the move, you can see them separated a lot after the move.
And I'll do that list after Squall's move.

That's it.. I often get the High Squall one so I focus on mashing the B lightly and fast (when I mash it hard, Squall goes at moderate height), and 2nd goes to Moderate. I just can't seem to get the Very High Squall one, it's impossible to practice and it's so random to get to a very high height.
None of that makes any sense. Are you saying that their squall can reach ROB's entire fuel recovery + one jump?

Also, from what it looks like, you've got it all wrong. If they're seperated, they'll barely gain any height. They need to be synced.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039

I think the list is the other way around. Synched squalls go very high. desynched squalls don't go vertical, no matter how fast you mash B.

And I didn't think there was a rhythm. I thought you just had to mash it as quickly as possible...

ChibiIceClimberz

Smash Ace
NNID
ch33bdragonite
3DS FC
5370-0405-0580
Well, I was saying about the synched one, of course ^_^''; it goes very high at vertical distance. And yes it does reach R.O.B's entire recovery plus a jump, because I've tested this on a custom stage, seeing which is higher, so the ICs had almost the same height as R.O.B's recovery + a jump. I also think that it's the same height as Luigi's recovery trick.

And for the separation part: After the move, you can see them separated vertically right? If they're separated entirely, that probably means you saw that Squall was high at vertical distance, then... if they're not separated entirely, that must mean Squall wasn't high enough. And obviously a desynched Squall can't go that high, although it has some good horizontal distance; because I never said anything about desynched Squall. X.x

I just think there was a rhythm beating inside Squall, because I hear it, and maybe.. IDK. Probably match the rhythm, or just mash B lightly, if I mash B hard enough it won't go that high. X.x

ChibiIceClimberz

Smash Ace
NNID
ch33bdragonite
3DS FC
5370-0405-0580
Yeah, whenever I mash it hard, it doesn't even go high, probably because when I mash it hard is, the way I mash it isn't fast enough; when I do it the other way, it's high. O:

Swordplay

Smash Lord
sry smaci...still waiting to record 1 or two more vids...havn't played any of my good friends recently.

Anyway its bee a while since I last asked a quesiton.

I'm a Link player at heart. Consider it Fanboyism. So I often set R to attack for DAC.
I never thought I would use this for IC but the more I try it the more it intrigues me.

If I set r to attack. I can use the C-stick plus R to charge a U-smash which frees my thumb for other advanced grabbing techniques

On the other hand, I can't really do rolling desynch's that well. I guess in the end it doesn't matter all that much though because I can do standing desynch's and some other types.

So what do you guys think? do any of you guys use R/L/Z for attack? or have you modified/not modified your controler in another way.....

smaci92

Smash Lord
don't worry about it swordsplay...I can wait for the replays ;)

and i don't modify my controller besides turning tap jump off lol =P I don't want to learn something new and different like that :laugh:

smaci92

Smash Lord
I got a question: I have began to play my IC's completely desynced till around 80-90%, then I play synced because they begin to get seperated and messed up if I play desynced at this percentage...Is it eveb a good idea to play them desynced for that long?

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
if it works, then sure. if you have trouble personally then just use them synced. i've found you can't really base your play style on that of others. just do what feels right to you. if you're having fun then you'll play better.

smaci92

Smash Lord
if it works, then sure. if you have trouble personally then just use them synced. i've found you can't really base your play style on that of others. just do what feels right to you. if you're having fun then you'll play better.
thanks...I think I'll use that for my new playstyle...I have trouble against people with projectiles, but I can still play pretty well desynced against projectile people...

smaci92

Smash Lord
sorry for double post lol...but I got another question:

How do you autocancel aerials??? Is it something that you just do naturally, or do you have to plan it and do it on purpose??

this question has been bothering me forever..

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
thanks...I think I'll use that for my new playstyle...I have trouble against people with projectiles, but I can still play pretty well desynced against projectile people...
ice blocks are the ultimate in anti projectile attacks. they literally can cancel any projectile (fully charged samus/lucario neutral b, snake's rockets, bounce back snake's grenades, etc.)

i actually shorthopped -> synced blizzard one of snake's rockets. it stopped right in front of me, got caught in the double blizzard inches from me and exploded without hurting me. i ****in' love these little guys...

B0mbe1c

Smash Lord
Only some moves get auto-cancelled, like CF/GDorf Dair. these have serious ending lag, so when you SH and instantly Dair, the animation will end before you hit the ground, thus no lag. I dont think this works for ICs, it might for Fair..

Also, I use C-stick to Z when charging smashes in a grab, but I can still use A to attack.

Qaomen

Smash Cadet
I've got a question:
I started playing with the Ice Climbers a while ago, and I think I'm doing pretty good for now...
...but what's the best strategy to use in a FFA match with 3 or 4 players?
When I try to desynch or chaingrab, I get attacked by the person I'm not targeting most of the time and mess it up, and I can't seem to find a good way to use the Ice Climbers (other from regular attacks).
I know I still got a lot to learn (I bet I'm still pretty horrible when using the Ice Climbers compared to anyone else who uses/mains them), but I play with 3 or 4 players most of the time, and it's kinda frustrating.. xD

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
shadow moses island. if you spawn on the bottom just short hop -> squall into one of the people on the ledges. you do that right from the beginning and they will haaaaaate you. especially if you follow it up with an upair after landing. Shadow Moses is a lot of fun. just constantly play shadow moses.

B0mbe1c

Smash Lord
I've got a question:
I started playing with the Ice Climbers a while ago, and I think I'm doing pretty good for now...
...but what's the best strategy to use in a FFA match with 3 or 4 players?
When I try to desynch or chaingrab, I get attacked by the person I'm not targeting most of the time and mess it up, and I can't seem to find a good way to use the Ice Climbers (other from regular attacks).
I know I still got a lot to learn (I bet I'm still pretty horrible when using the Ice Climbers compared to anyone else who uses/mains them), but I play with 3 or 4 players most of the time, and it's kinda frustrating.. xD
Dont.
Its way too easy for them to be seperated, and Nana will most likely get killed considering her AI.
Choose an FFA worthy person, like.... Martha? xD

Qaomen

Smash Cadet
Dont.
Its way too easy for them to be seperated, and Nana will most likely get killed considering her AI.
Choose an FFA worthy person, like.... Martha? xD
Okay, I'll keep that in mind. =)
I main Marth (kinda), so I guess I'll use him instead.

Thanks for the reply. ;)

K 2

Smash Lord
What's the difference between just bthrow and the bthrow -> dthrow and the bthrow -> fthrow? Is there anything special (easier, more damage, etc) about using different throws? I can assume mixing up your throws gives you more damage due to diminishing returns, but other than that, what are the advantages of alternating throws over just a single throw chaingrab?

B0mbe1c

Smash Lord
I believe Fthrow and Bthrow do more damage than Dthrow. Its also just preference, I like Bthrow -> Bthrow -> Pivot Grab (Popo) -> then repeat.

Top Bottom