• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General ICs Q&A Thread

rchau

Smash Cadet
Can anyone here give me tips on HOW to practice buffered grabs? and how i can tell im doing it wrong? and what chians work best with buffered throws other than fthrow to fthrow?

sauc3

Smash Lord
Can anyone here give me tips on HOW to practice buffered grabs? and how i can tell im doing it wrong? and what chians work best with buffered throws other than fthrow to fthrow?
cg on a platform with backthrow -> downthrow, if nana falls through you aren't buffering. Just play with the timing.

Aglow

Smash Journeyman
What is a good second for the ICs other than mk?... im horrible with mk
I have found DDD to be amazing. Every character I have difficulty chaining with IC's I can cg with DDD. His tanky recovery is amazing, and the snake matchup is much more bearable.

Prawn

Smash Master
Wario/d3/GaW/mk are all pretty good secondaries IMO.

Every matchup is winnable with ICs on neutrals,

CPs are their biggest problem so pick a char that ***** on them (mk or wario or gaw)

d3 covers the "bad" matchups for ics, but again, every single one is winnable in the opinion of a lot of the top ICs.

rchau

Smash Cadet
maybe someone has already answered this question, and if so, can u link me to the page in Q+A, but best way to chain heavy weights other than hobbling? im having difficulty with heavys, but light/mids are eZ.

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
maybe someone has already answered this question, and if so, can u link me to the page in Q+A, but best way to chain heavy weights other than hobbling? im having difficulty with heavys, but light/mids are eZ.
how do you get to carnegie hall?

00-Zero

Smash Journeyman
Maybe instead of telling people how to use the ice climbers, we could teach them how to find the thread that will answer all of their "how do I chain grab [insert weight class here]" questions. Eh, I guess they're better than just asking how to chain grab lol.

Read this thread: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=247578
Wasn't hard to find. I went back a few pages, no more than 4 or 5, when people were inquiring about this exact thing, right around when you first started asking your easily answerable questions, remembering that r3dd09 had said he had a thread about it. I clicked his name and found it. There are a bunch of ways to find something you're inquiring about. It just takes some actual looking. You're welcome though.
:079:

J4pu

Smash Champion
I don't feel like reading through the desync method thread so somebody just tell me if this method is known or not
FH > Ice-block or any attack using the A button exactly when popo lands
Popo should use grounded attack, Nana should use aerial/iceblock in the air, the ending times are different and allow you to continue and desync.

I know theres a method where if you use an aerial in the air one of the IC's will recover faster when hitting the ground, but this is different than that.

00-Zero

Smash Journeyman
I don't feel like reading through the desync method thread so somebody just tell me if this method is known or not
FH > Ice-block or any attack using the A button exactly when popo lands
Popo should use grounded attack, Nana should use aerial/iceblock in the air, the ending times are different and allow you to continue and desync.

I know theres a method where if you use an aerial in the air one of the IC's will recover faster when hitting the ground, but this is different than that.
I'm pretty sure this is known. I think it has something to do with this:
"13. Short Hop Fastfall Desync
Short Hop, Fastfall, and input a move as you land. Only one Climber will do the move. It's strict, but you can choose which Climber does the move by altering the timing."

The desync can be both all in the landing and in doing a move before the landing. I'm pretty sure I use the one you're talking about, but there's a million and one ways to desync, so there's always the possibility that you may be doing something different.

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
isn't that just a landing lag desync?
yes.

this is why you shouldn't be a lazy *** hole adn should actually go out fo your way to move the mouse 2 inches to look this stuff up. honestly, its really not that hard to click on the link that says "IC Useful Threads" or "Guide to Desyncing" or "the NEW Ice Climber Guide."

how ****ing lazy do you have to be to not even click on the topic telling you the answer to your question. Think people.

Prawn

Smash Master
yes.

this is why you shouldn't be a lazy *** hole adn should actually go out fo your way to move the mouse 2 inches to look this stuff up. honestly, its really not that hard to click on the link that says "IC Useful Threads" or "Guide to Desyncing" or "the NEW Ice Climber Guide."

how ****ing lazy do you have to be to not even click on the topic telling you the answer to your question. Think people.
umaaaaaaaaad?

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
yes. its not that hard to click a link. especially when its stickied for people to see. generally this would indicate that its an important topic and that you should probably look there for answers to your questions, but nooooo, that would make sense. instead, lets ask an easy question that we could have answered for ourselves with 0 effort. "i'm too lazy" just tells me that you shouldn't even be attempting to use ICs. if you're not even motivated enough to click on a link that is perpetually on the top of the front page, then you should probably not even bother to ask the question in the first place. go play MK and avoid having to go through the effort of moving your pointer finger. we wouldn't want to trouble you.

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
lol, lazy people.

ICs aint no character for the laziessssss.

Although I'm pretty lazy. :/

Anyway, frozenpoop, you have it all wrong! Clearly it takes less effort to find the Q&A thread, click it, read some of it (...hopefully), type up a question, post it, wait for an answer, click back into the thread later to check for the answer, repeatedly, and finally read the answer... than it does to click on the appropriate guide that explains everything for you and wastes nobody's time.

00-Zero

Smash Journeyman
So it's agreed then. We beat everyone up that asks an easily answerable question? Lol. Reading threads is for suckers. It's all about the people that read the Q&A and answer all these questions <3

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
we attack the people that are too lazy/stupid to look for the answers to their questions given that we have a number of topics both stickied and on the front page. if these people can't even be bothered to look for the answers to their questions before bringing them up then i see no reason why they should be given any quarter.

00-Zero

Smash Journeyman
Agreed. People gotta at least be willing to do some looking around for their questions because it's cold here in IC country. Those are the people that just want the dedicated mains to tell them all of our secrets and find out everything for them. We don't take to kindly to that.
On the other hand, I don't mind explaining how something works, or helping them a little when they've got the basis of what they're doing down themselves, but just can't completely pull it off. Pointers here and there in situations like that wouldn't be a problem if those were the more frequently asked quesions in Q&A.
Either get used to finding your way through the blinding whiteness of the tundra, or go play someone else.

Rubberbandman

Smash Champion
You see why I never come here with a question, I'm never prepared to get chewed out by Frozen.

And I actually read threads first before posting. Im lazy, but not stupid.

00-Zero

Smash Journeyman
Educated questions are accepted :)
I think it's more so the people that come and ask the same questions over and over without looking through anything.
If you have a question about the mechanics of something or maybe something that isn't easily found, I'm sure you can ask it without being chewed out.

J4pu

Smash Champion
isn't that just a landing lag desync?
The one I was talking about is not, the one that I said mine is different from is.

Shhhhh, Shhhhhh frozen, it'll be ok

Anyway, frozenpoop, you have it all wrong! Clearly it takes less effort to find the Q&A thread, click it, read some of it (...hopefully), type up a question, post it, wait for an answer, click back into the thread later to check for the answer, repeatedly, and finally read the answer... than it does to click on the appropriate guide that explains everything for you and wastes nobody's time.
type a few words out, or reread through 28 different desync methods when i couldn't think of a good search word that would find it without popping up everywhere.

plus then we would have missed out on this important lesson.

Smoom77

Smash Master
What attacks stop Falco's phantasm? I know blizzard and utilt can stop/hurt him, but I don't know any more.

J4pu

Smash Champion
all attacks.
Falco's phantasm has invincibility for the first ~1/3 of its length, then after that it's his hurtbox followed by the hitbox (the hitbox is behind him).

rchau

Smash Cadet
Agreed. People gotta at least be willing to do some looking around for their questions because it's cold here in IC country. Those are the people that just want the dedicated mains to tell them all of our secrets and find out everything for them. We don't take to kindly to that.
On the other hand, I don't mind explaining how something works, or helping them a little when they've got the basis of what they're doing down themselves, but just can't completely pull it off. Pointers here and there in situations like that wouldn't be a problem if those were the more frequently asked quesions in Q&A.
Either get used to finding your way through the blinding whiteness of the tundra, or go play someone else.
and i appreciate your help, but it just sucks how strict / gay these forums are about making topics to ask questions. And then when I ask in Q + A people don't even wanna answer. And to be honest a lot of the threads, especially in the IC board, are not really good at explaining anything or tell you how to. No where on the ic board does it talk about buffered throws or how to do them. or how to do alternating throws, only that they are hard to do.

the bold is the lamest part. people on aib are so much nicer when it comes to answering questions, no offense (inb4"THENGO2AIB"). It's like you don't want the meta game of ICs to evolve, or get more people to main them. You already know ICs are hard, and ur not making it any easier by meeting every Q with an attitude like you never had to learn them too. iono why but it seems like I've only met d!cks on this board.

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
ugh.

To alt throw - all you do is throw, then grab, then throw again, then grab again, and repeat. It's not a difficult sequence of inputs! The difficulty in alt throwing comes from having to learn 200+ different timings for the various combinations of throws/characters/nana, and that is not something you can learn by asking people how.

To buffer alt throw - oh god, if you understand buffering, then it should be obvious how it's applied to chaingrabs. Why does this even need an explanation, let alone a question?

Keep in mind that most of us have been maining ICs since before any good thorough guides existed. Excuse us for expecting you to read the guides we wrote for you so that you didn't have to do all the research we did, and failing that, expecting you to at worst go to the same efforts we've already been through. Especially on topics such as alt throws and buffering that really need no explanation.

By all means go to AIB. This isn't so much about being ***** as it is about being utterly sick of people who have no real interest in maining this character and only want to learn an infinite. Sorry if you really do care about maining ICs, but that's how it is.

As a side note - maybe we should have an index of asked questions and put it in the first post of this thread? If anyone's willing to read through and index it all LOL.

Prawn

Smash Master
and i appreciate your help, but it just sucks how strict / gay these forums are about making topics to ask questions. And then when I ask in Q + A people don't even wanna answer. And to be honest a lot of the threads, especially in the IC board, are not really good at explaining anything or tell you how to. No where on the ic board does it talk about buffered throws or how to do them. or how to do alternating throws, only that they are hard to do.

the bold is the lamest part. people on aib are so much nicer when it comes to answering questions, no offense (inb4"THENGO2AIB"). It's like you don't want the meta game of ICs to evolve, or get more people to main them. You already know ICs are hard, and ur not making it any easier by meeting every Q with an attitude like you never had to learn them too. iono why but it seems like I've only met d!cks on this board.
no offense but if you can't read a guide or figure out the ATs yourself like I did(**** reading) then you aren't going to be evolving the IC metagame anytime soon LOL.

J4pu

Smash Champion
This isn't so much about being ***** as it is about being utterly sick of people who have no real interest in maining this character and only want to learn an infinite.
But that's the drawing appeal of IC's, you can't blame people for wanting to go MK because it's easy to be good.
I mean, granted, they have to eventually learn that IC's are hard as **** to master, but why not help them out at first so that they learn some stuff so when things get rough they are inclined to stick with it or waste hours of practice.

I like the OP idea.
*touches finger to nose

there's also something to be said for maining an under-represented character if you go to tournaments, other people won't know how to play the match-up.

Rubberbandman

Smash Champion
ugh.

To buffer alt throw - oh god, if you understand buffering, then it should be obvious how it's applied to chaingrabs. Why does this even need an explanation, let alone a question?
To put buffered throws in words a ****** to could understand; "You know how to Chain Throw? Chain Throw Faster! You did it! You mastered buffered throws!"
Thats is basically what buffered throws is, doing exactly what you have been doing, but faster. How is that SO hard? I swear ea, i cant see how you guys can take it.

The idea to put common questions on the first page may work, but I think you need to create a new thread, put all the questions there and close it immediately, THEN post them on the first page of this thread for good measure.

Sieguest

Smash Master
As a side note - maybe we should have an index of asked questions and put it in the first post of this thread? If anyone's willing to read through and index it all LOL.
Well, Smaci made a post that was like that iirc where after every questioned was answered that'd Smaci would quote the question and post quotes of the answer to the answer... then it kind of just.... stopped....

Top Bottom