• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General ICs Q&A Thread

JustNoOne

Smash Lord
No one likes the ICs now >.>

Honestly why play ICs when you can play other better characters like MK, Snake, Flaco, King Dedede and Marth and G&W? They arern't that high on the tier list and as well they aren't your "It's not hard to pick them up" character.

Barge

All I want is a custom title
No one likes the ICs now >.>

Honestly why play ICs when you can play other better characters like MK, Snake, Flaco, King Dedede and Marth and G&W? They arern't that high on the tier list and as well they aren't your "It's not hard to pick them up" character.
I only play them because They're a blast to play. And that's all that matters :p

meepxzero

Smash Master
IT's not that there aren't many people playing them. If that were the case, they would only have been lowly ranked on the tournament ranking charts instead of both that and the tier list. Ranking charts are based on the number of Ice Climber wins while the tier list is based on how the character is potential is and what currently they are. The Ice Climbers have a horrible grab range, the worst I believe, and if you look at them without grabs, they are almost nothing against most of the tournament used characters. This is why they aren't that high in the list. Though their grab combos are insane, landing the grab has been the key issue as people have gotten so smart at punishing grabs missed and avoiding getting grabbed that CGing for most is more dangerous than playing normally.

The only reason why the Ice Climbers have placed in the top 5 is usually because it's either lain or Hylian (if he even uses them in tournaments anymore...). Other than a select few, most people can't even pull off a 0-death chain without messing up. If you put down the rate that you mess up in a probability and the damage you average out when you actually land the grab until you mess up or you kill and multiply that by the number of times you can land a grab on a smart player, you'll find that most don't do a higher damage rate on the opponent this way compared to the opponent's damage rate on the Ice Climbers.
So in other words if ur flawless with cging and u powershield every attack their broken tier? This post really doesnt prove any point to me. Mayb u should actually learn to play the character b4 you make that judgement. Ive only seen like mayb 3 ic mains that know how to play them. Since brawl has a ******** system with shielding it really isnt hard to land grabs if your smart enough. People dont play ice climbers because they are probably the hardest character to play in brawl and take the most work. Honestly they are worth the effort if you do put time.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
So in other words if ur flawless with cging and u powershield every attack their broken tier? This post really doesnt prove any point to me. Mayb u should actually learn to play the character b4 you make that judgement. Ive only seen like mayb 3 ic mains that know how to play them. Since brawl has a ******** system with shielding it really isnt hard to land grabs if your smart enough. People dont play ice climbers because they are probably the hardest character to play in brawl and take the most work. Honestly they are worth the effort if you do put time.
1. If you play perfectly with anyone they are "broken tier"

2. He even mentioned only 3-4 people actually placing, those would be those "mains that know how to play them"

3. It's still hard to get the grab - IC's slide a lot when hit and have one of the worst grab ranges in the game.

4. Hardest character to play with? No. Hardest to be able to play flawlessly (eg; chaingrab the entire cast) Yes.

Honestly, most characters are "worth the effort" if you put in the time.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Getting grabs is pretty hard. Grabbing characters like Snake, Marth, etc. is even harder. That's where the IC's viability stops. Grabbing characters that are popular in tournies is very difficult.

Vlade

Social Outcast
I have a question.

Someone said that it's possible to get the d-throw > fair chaingrab to do 40% damage. Is that true?

I'm pretty sure that it only goes up to approximately 25%.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
You're right. Some go a little higher, but not into the 40s.

...Unless they're talking about Ice Block reset. =/

Vlade

Social Outcast
Alright thanks very much.

And yeah, I'm not sure if they're talking about Ice block resets, but this is what they said: 'No, if you do it right you can get it around 40.'

:/

Dev2000

Smash Lord
Alright thanks very much.

And yeah, I'm not sure if they're talking about Ice block resets, but this is what they said: 'No, if you do it right you can get it around 40.'

:/
It is only possible with ice block resets
atleast i think...
im not sure tho

JustNoOne

Smash Lord
Yeap, basically when you do Dthrow to Fair after 25% or somewhere around there depending on the character's weight, they auto tech it. I think that what happens >.>

GIVE KAWAII BUNNY THE MOD STATUS!

It was kewl in red :*(

SuSa

Banned via Administration
If you do the dthrow>fair right, you can actually grab the opponent from the air. - I remember Hylian having a video of this.

It goes to about 40-50%~ depending on character, although I think it may also go higher if you're really good at it.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
In my video I did it around 90%.

You can do it a really long time if you are good at it and can read their DI correctly. It has insane damage output.

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
I'm not even saying this. I'm saying that the reason why they aren't ranked high is because people normally can't cg perfectly. You have to face that it is hard for people to get grabs now in competitive play because they have gotten smarter in character choice or playstyle and even if they land it, it still isn't guaranteed that they'll rack good damage with them because most people have a high chance of human error. I've mained the Ice Climbers in brawl long enough to understand this. People think that Ice Climbers should be top tier because they CAN do a guaranteed technique on people. The problem with this theory is that most people can't even do it guarunteed without having a fair chance of failing the CG from bad timing.

Where did you even get that power shielding comment and that other crap? Don't misquote people. You have been acting much like you know everything about the Ice Climbers in your recent posts when it seems otherwise.

Is it possible to get a few videos of chain grabs with the controler in the view of the camera?
With a capture card I don't think it's possible. You may have to actually video record and leave room for the camera to show your controller as you are recording the TV.

Kage Me

Smash Ace
I have a question.

Someone said that it's possible to get the d-throw > fair chaingrab to do 40% damage. Is that true?

I'm pretty sure that it only goes up to approximately 25%.
On certain characters (I think just Fox and Sheik), it's possible to do a d-throw chain (with one Climber) up to 40%. With f-air, however, it's impossible.

JustNoOne

Smash Lord
How to make Nana only fmash and Popo walk?
umm...... That would be pretty hard.

Right now, the only ways I can think of doing so is if:

- Do a Fsmash when Popo is in an animation where he cannot get the input from you and you walking with Popo

- DESYNC!!

But really you can't make them both walk and Nana only Fsmash. It's impossible. The input will always go to Popo first so unless Popo is doing something else, they both with Fsmash.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
If I'm understanding his question, he can desynch them (Stutter step Popo FSmash to Nana Smash Charge, or something similar). Nana won't stand still though. When Popo walks while she's charging, she will slide behind him. Hope this helped.

lain

Smash Master
Or conversely, you can pivot and iceblock and then press the z-button and c-stick left or right, which will make nana charge fsmash and then popo can walk around.

crewster

Smash Lord
Ok, I piked up ICs recently as a second and I have a few questions.

What is the ICs main kill move(s)?

Is there any help you can give me about mastering the chain grabs?

How do you get it so that 1 IC jumps and fairs, the other one stays on ground?

Kage Me

Smash Ace
The Ice Climbers' main kill move is probably u-smash, because it can be charged during a grab. Another good finisher for your chaingrabs is f-air, because it can be done at lower percentages. Outside of chaingrabs, your primary kill moves would be f-smash and u-smash at high percentages, and d-tilt for gimps.

No. No, there is no help we can give you in mastering the chaingrabs, unless you count "go practice" as helpful.

To get your Ice Climbers to pull off different moves, you have to desynch them. What you need to do is create a situation in which one Climber is not able to follow your command while the other one is - usually by making the other Climber occupied with something. Your f-air example is commonly used when one Climber holds the opponent near the edge - if you press jump then, only one Climber will jump, since you can't jump while holding the opponent.

meepxzero said:
lain teach me to beat mk T_T
I'm not Lain, but I do have one helpful hint: use a wall of Blizzards to mess up his approach. It outprioritises everything he has, and because of his poor air speed, you can punish whatever he does to get past it with u-tilt or u-air. Other than that, practice chaingrabs against him. Srsly.

C~Dog

Smash Champion
Okay, i was messing around with ICs again, trying some chaingrabs, and i think i may have found a way to incorporate Up Smash into chaingrabs. I tried searching, but I couldn't find any info on usmashes in chaingrabs, so forgive me if this is old news, or it doesnt work, k? ;P

<< Keep in mind that i only tested against computers, and so far i have only tested different grabs against Bowser, D3, Snake, Diddy Kong, MK, PT, and G&W. It would be great if someone could test these out against a human player, as they might be able to tech some of these or dodge/jump to escape some. So far I have only tested at low percents.>>

Code:
1) Popo Dthrow > Nana Usmash > Popo Regrab = 15%*
- Hit with the Usmash while the throw is being performed, so the knockback of the smash doesn't hit the target away. You will need to pause momentarily so Nana can catch up, otherwise the Usmash won't hit.
Code:
2) Popo Dthrow > Nana Sliding Usmash > Popo Dash Grab = 15%**
- Hit with the Usmash after the throw, so the knock pushes the target forwards, the regrab with a dashgrab. If three cycles are chained correctly, you can travel between 1/3 and 1/2 of the length of Final Destination, and regrab the opponent.
Code:
3) Popo Dthrow > Nana Sliding Usmash > Popo Uair = ~25%
- Possible to chain more uairs, depending on the curren target's %.
Code:
4) Popo Dthrow > Nana Sliding Usmash > Popo Sliding Usmash > Nana Uair = ~33%***
- First Usmash doesnt launch, second does, high enough to be hit up uairs. Possible to chain more uairs.
* Can be chained on various characters.
** Can be chained on heavy characters, and some others.

If anyone could give me any confirmation of any of these, that would be great. I will be doing more tests, but right now i need to get to sleep.

Also, there are some others that can't be chained, more of a novelty, but i thought i'd add them anyway.

Code:
1) Popo Dthrow > Nana Dashgrab > Popo Dash Attack = 20%
- Always gives 20% if timed right, which is pretty easy to do.
Code:
2) Popo Dthrow > Nana Dashgrab > Popo Usmash = ~20%
- Useful for launching or something, i guess lol.

lain

Smash Master
Actually, I think that Fsmash is their best smash killing move. It's faster then Usmash and has deceptive range.

Usmash however, can poke through many platforms.

As for the subject of killing with IC's, their aerials are what helps me get kills. Uair and Bair RAPEEEEE

Kage Me

Smash Ace
Oh yes, b-air. I love doing that as I pass people who stand on the moving platform. U-air's OK as well, but Belay is just so much more stylish.

l!nk_aut

Smash Journeyman
omfg i love killing with belay... there are so many people who doesn´t even know that the belay kills sooooo good. and most people don´t expect it.

JustNoOne

Smash Lord
Usmash also has a nice coverage behind them, it's pretty whack when I kill them from hitting them when I'm Usmashing when they come at me.

Desycned Bair wall would be sex.

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
Oh yes, b-air. I love doing that as I pass people who stand on the moving platform. U-air's OK as well, but Belay is just so much more stylish.
Belay is awesome to kill with if you do so you have the RIGHT to slap them in the face and laugh!
9.5/10 you will miss them and get wrecked. you should really not use bellay unless you absolutely need to recover.

Top Bottom