• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General ICs Q&A Thread

Teh Future

Smash Master
Killing with Ice Climbers is actually fairly easy, even without grabs. One bad thing is that people like to camp above them in the air, which leaves them open for lots of damage from upairs, but it stales and becomes useless for killing.

dtilt is great for people with bad recoveries when they are on the ledge, I love dtilt kills lol.

DeadX

Smash Journeyman
whats the best way to chaingrab lightweight characters? what about mediums?

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
whats the best way to chaingrab lightweight characters? what about mediums?
Truthfully, it's all about preference since timing is all it takes for each of the weight classes. Personally, midweights I do back throw to down throw and lightweights I am currently trying to do back throw to back throw to back throw footstool to ice block.

Thibault

Smash Apprentice
Is hobbleing only refered to back throws, and why back throws? I can back throw on heavys most of the time but the only throw i can use of a light would be fthrow :O

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
I wish Belay had lower knockback so I wouldn't be tempted to go for stupid belay KOs all the time even though it's almost always a terrible option.

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
Is hobbleing only refered to back throws, and why back throws? I can back throw on heavys most of the time but the only throw i can use of a light would be fthrow :O
The way nana is spaced after the first two back throw to regrabs put her so that you can buffer a back throw after the second regrab to her footstooling. You then Ice Block to force them up and then you rinse and repeat.

Barge

All I want is a custom title
How wide, in small size stage builder blocks, is the Ice climbers' final smash, Iceburg?
This is one question you might have to test yourself. Because most of this forum doesn't play with items on, nor on custom stages.

But i'd say 5-7

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
Nana can pivot grab, but it's useless to do so. Most of the time Nana will miss, and if she does catch them, then she will slide too far away for you to control where she throws.
The Popo Back throw to Nana regrab sequence seems solely based on Nana Pivot grabbing in place. That would explain why she can trip while you are doing this type of grab. I may be wrong in this.

IxxI

Smash Fence
Are there any sound tricks to doing alternating throws? I usually get a max of 5 with fthrow and 2 with bthrow. And does anyone have any tips for doing the back throw? I'm able to hand it off to Nana fairly easily, but when I try to the opponent back to Popo he walks to far. I'm just tilting the stick toward Nana on the first throw, and then to Popo any help please?

@Barge
Yes Barge. I quit Snake for Ice Climbers. Be ****ing proud biotch.

Barge

Are there any sound tricks to doing alternating throws? I usually get a max of 5 with fthrow and 2 with bthrow. And does anyone have any tips for doing the back throw? I'm able to hand it off to Nana fairly easily, but when I try to the opponent back to Popo he walks to far. I'm just tilting the stick toward Nana on the first throw, and then to Popo any help please?

@Barge
Yes Barge. I quit Snake for Ice Climbers. Be ****ing proud biotch.
Good, I can **** you in dittos >:O Which I hate and probably wont end up playing anyways.

About the alt throws, they speed up as the damage % increases, so just speed up your grabs.

KRDsonic

Smash Master
Btw i just relized its possible to fthrow and have nana pivit grab, is it possible to continue or ......................
Nana can pivot grab, but it's useless to do so. Most of the time Nana will miss, and if she does catch them, then she will slide too far away for you to control where she throws.
Yeah, you're right. She can pivot grab.

And yes, you can do a Fthrow > Nana pivot grab, it's just really hard to do. I just found out about that in training mode, and after about 15 minutes of trying to get more consistent, I just figured it's better to Bthrow to nana, then have Popo be the one to run forward, then run back and grab.

If you could get consistent at the Fthrow > Nana pivot grab, then it looks very sexy, though.

(Sorry if I typed that up sloppily, I'm tired x.x)

IxxI

Smash Fence
Thanks, one more thing before I practice.
Which Desync, in anyone's opinion, is the easiest most situational to use? I just want an easy handle on them before I go more in depth, please answer.
=D

Dammmn, I've been in training mode for the past 3 days... LOL.
Screw my asian no life XD

Barge

Thanks, one more thing before I practice.
Which Desync, in anyone's opinion, is the easiest most situational to use? I just want an easy handle on them before I go more in depth, please answer.
=D

Dammmn, I've been in training mode for the past 3 days... LOL.
Screw my asian no life XD
Hold B at the start of the match, auto desyncs.
Dash dance, stutter step, OOS specials, pivot walking.
So many desyncs @_@
Just whatevers easiest for you.

BTW: Like my signature?

IxxI

Smash Fence
LMFAOOOO. Barge.. WOW.
The sad thing is...that guy is actually on my friends list...

Edit: Pivot walking? Stutter Step?

EDITTTTTT EDITTT!

Wow I just epic failed. I did a downthrow with IC's and Nana Down smashed; Popo lifted my opponent for the down throw and Nana downsmashed causing her to miss.... FML.

Barge

Pivot walking isnt really a reliable way to desync, I only use it for taunting nowadays. Theres a thread on it in tactical discussion.

Stutter step, do a pivot fsmash, nana cant pivot well and will do a dash attack while popo charges a fsmash, desynced.

Yeah about my sig, I rofled when I saw it. I've known that guy ever since I got brawl, and for him to get pissed like that surprised me.

KRDsonic

Smash Master
BTW: Like my signature?
Heh, it's so funny seeing people that get that mad at chain grabbing xD.

Those people seem to be everywhere o.o' Someone complained so much because I chain grabbed him (and messed up every time) and said that I had to rely on chain grabs to win, then I had to remind him that I 2 stocked him with Bowser in the match before that. After that I guess he realized that it wasn't the chain grabs that caused him to lose :p *sigh* of only more people would realize that.

C~Dog

Smash Champion
I use the blonde roll as my main method of desyncing, since it is reliable and easy to do, but i also make heavy use of the starting desync, grab-related desyncs, and stutter step desync.

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
I have three questions.

First, how do you do down throw to Nana fair spike on 0%-25% when the character is so freaking huge that it seems impossible to sweetspot the fair? (Bowser is my main concern)

Second, on lightweights, how do you do the fast Back throw to Back throw chain in place? Lain does it in this vid at around 2:30 in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQ-5XoMfmsY&feature=related. I really need to know specifically what inputs you need for this because I have been having a lot of trouble figuring this chain out.

Third, how did Lain desync the Ice Climbers at 0:36 and then again in 2:56 in this vid? Please be specific in control inputs for this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VF4mJrWZ2BE

lain

Smash Master
Second, on lightweights, how do you do the fast Back throw to Back throw chain in place? Lain does it in this vid at around 2:30 in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQ-5XoMfmsY&feature=related. I really need to know specifically what inputs you need for this because I have been having a lot of trouble figuring this chain out.
That is a bthrow -> fthrow cg. You start it by bthrowing the opponent and making nana turn around and grab at the same time. You then either turn around or walk SLIGHTLY towards the direction the opponent is and nana will fthrow at the same time, you have to grab then.

Third, how did Lain desync the Ice Climbers at 0:36 and then again in 2:56 in this vid? Please be specific in control inputs for this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VF4mJrWZ2BE
That's a pivot iceblock. It's like pivoting any other move, except this is with neutral b, so you run left then right quickly and press B. Note that it is IMPORTANT you put that analog stick back into neutral before you hit B, because otherwise you'll obv. do a Squall Hammer if you mess up. Nana can't pivot so Popo does the iceblock, so then hit B again so Nana do it, etc.

Barge

I have three questions.

First, how do you do down throw to Nana fair spike on 0%-25% when the character is so freaking huge that it seems impossible to sweetspot the fair? (Bowser is my main concern)

To answer your first question, just wait a little longer after you do the dthrow to do a fair.

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
That is a bthrow -> fthrow cg. You start it by bthrowing the opponent and making nana turn around and grab at the same time. You then either turn around or walk SLIGHTLY towards the direction the opponent is and nana will fthrow at the same time, you have to grab then.
Are you sure that thay was a Back throw to forward throw cg? In that video, it looked like you were back throwing with Nana to Popo's regrab after back throwing with Popo to Nana's regrab.., not fthrowing...

1nconspikuous

Smash Apprentice
i'm a little new to the ics and i have a quick question about the blizzard.

i was learning how to desync and blizzard approach against a CPU (i know CPUs are dumb, whatever, it was for desync practice/timing, not real practice) and on shield, the blizzard either pulled the CPU (mk) in, or the CPU was SDIing the blizzard.

so all i'm wondering is whether blizzard has pulling properties or if there's something really strange going on with the CPU on shield.

here's the vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TWj8un-Qt4

Barge

Im not entierly sure, But I dont think blizzard pulls shields.
It might have just been mk trying to roll or something

IxxI

Smash Fence
What are some tips from people?
I know that the guides aren't all up to date, so what are some little tricks that IC's have that have been discovered?

Barge

Bunny is actually making a complete, up to date ice climber guide soon 8D
It'll be a board project, I believe

Top Bottom