• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General ICs Q&A Thread

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
Question
I just versed another Ice Climber the other day who could do their dash grabbing OoS to cg almost all the time... However, when I do this, I usually get punished because they dodge... When is it a good time to grab out of shield and how do you get them into the grab? Blizzard for me doesn't work because they could freeze in it and you can't grab someone who is frozen...

ChibiIceClimberz

Smash Ace
NNID
ch33bdragonite
3DS FC
5370-0405-0580
Question
I just versed another Ice Climber the other day who could do their dash grabbing OoS to cg almost all the time... However, when I do this, I usually get punished because they dodge... When is it a good time to grab out of shield and how do you get them into the grab? Blizzard for me doesn't work because they could freeze in it and you can't grab someone who is frozen...
Well, when they're frozen, they're not frozen long enough, the ice breaks just fast so you can immediately grab them after the freeze since they can't DI when they're covered in ice.

Or you cold do Popo Squall to Nana Blizzard to a Popo grab... or Nana Blizzard first to a Popo Squall then Nana grab.

smaci92

Smash Lord
Lol. I love you guys d'awwwwww
<3 lain lol...I feel like such an idiot for forgetting you in my post. I knew I was missing someone haha just forgot who...

Chibi plays a beastly ICs aswell. ^^'
chibi is probably one of the best IC's on here (maybe even THE best)...He's amazing online and offline....It's just that he hasn't been discovered. I might get some vids of his Ice Climbers, just to get him more well known around here...:) chibi is too good...:bee:

smaci92

Smash Lord
a good char to practice your bthrow on is marth (or other medium weight characters) or pika (or other light characters)

for lightweights like pika, the timing is simple for a bthrow to nana. you push the control stick back to do a bthrow, and like immediately after push the grab button again to grab with nana...or wait, were you talking about bthrows to popo? i'm too lazy to go back a page a read everything all over again lol =P

Barge

All I want is a custom title
a good char to practice your bthrow on is marth (or other medium weight characters) or pika (or other light characters)

for lightweights like pika, the timing is simple for a bthrow to nana. you push the control stick back to do a bthrow, and like immediately after push the grab button again to grab with nana...or wait, were you talking about bthrows to popo? i'm too lazy to go back a page a read everything all over again lol =P
Pit was the only who really helped me get good with Bthrows.

ADHD

Smash Hero
I'm wondering what the fastest way is to have that glitch where nana is under the edge fair'ing while popo is in standing position above her. I got one answer but it seemed slow to perform and a little confusing :confused:

Also is there any hope vs metaknight? It seems he can just bait blizzards and then dair you and then just spam the tornado the entire time.

ignore the fire

Smash Journeyman
I'm wondering what the fastest way is to have that glitch where nana is under the edge fair'ing while popo is in standing position above her. I got one answer but it seemed slow to perform and a little confusing :confused:

Also is there any hope vs metaknight? It seems he can just bait blizzards and then dair you and then just spam the tornado the entire time.
You can pivot desynch right by the edge, but this is sometimes hard to do. I prefer to have Popo charge a smash right by the edge and then just grab the edge with Nana (this is also done with a pivot desynch). I wouldn't recommend doing this against anyone with a decent recovery. You're basically asking for Nana to get stage spiked.

Desynched blizzards should be the only thing used on MK. Use his aggresiveness to your advantage. Keep him away with blizzards and he'll eventually make a spacing error and you'll get a grab.

In general, though, you're correct. Metaknight is hopeless.

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
anybody know how to initiate the glitch where nana enters a continuous free-fall animation (even when you're standing on the ground) and causes the opponent to randomly teleport of they get too close? i did it in a match and i know someone mentioned it earlier, but now i can't find the thread....

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Now you know how I felt when you did it to me a few days ago. <__<

</3

Barge

All I want is a custom title
I do better against MK than I do against Snake.
I can never figure out how to beat snake. Every snake I fight has different strategies, and I don't know what to do with ice climbers to get past them. Plus I have trouble chain grabbing them >_>

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
I do better against MK than I do against Snake.
I can never figure out how to beat snake. Every snake I fight has different strategies, and I don't know what to do with ice climbers to get past them. Plus I have trouble chain grabbing them >_>
Me too... ._.

Does the fast FThrow thingy work on Snake? If it does that would make my life so much easier. Snake is so hard. :[

L_Cancel

Smash Champion
The only thing ICs really have going for them in this match, is the ice blocks to blow up all the explosives D:

B0mbe1c

Smash Lord
I can Fthrow Snake fine. MK on the other hand just has to stay in the air and find a way to get the ICs into the air. Thus making me sad face since I cant grab him. ;-;

Teh Future

Smash Master
metaknight is not that hard of a matchup imo. Chaingrabbing him is extremely easy, you just have to get the bthrow down and its a stock every time he gets grabbed.

He cannot do anything against blizzard. At all. Use it, and use it a lot, it beats every single one of his approaches.

Just remember dair doesn't work in this matchup :(

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Now you know how I felt when you did it to me a few days ago. <__<

</3
LOL. That has to be the ultimate make you feel bad post.

Too good :).

As far as the Fthrow thing...I can do it to Marth lol. I think you can do it to everyone people just arn't doing it right >_>. Though I haven't tested everyone so I don't know for sure. But if I can do it to marth it seems like you should be able to do it to a lot of characters.

Also, my name is like IC's ice :).

smaci92

Smash Lord
As far as the Fthrow thing...I can do it to Marth lol. I think you can do it to everyone people just arn't doing it right >_>. Though I haven't tested everyone so I don't know for sure. But if I can do it to marth it seems like you should be able to do it to a lot of characters.
lulz so shall I go update the OP and say it works on medium weight characters too?

ignore the fire

Smash Journeyman
I only use footstool CGs if I'm CGing a heavy character and I want to turn around without risking tripping.
I was just going to say this. :)

Question:

I'm going to my second tourney (there are barely any tournaments near me :dizzy:) and I second D3. I know some of you second D3 as well, and I was wondering what matchups are much easier for D3 than for the ICs. My ICs are definitely better than my D3, but it's dumb to play matchups like ICs v. Snake when a counterpick would be much smarter. So I guess my question is: What matchups are so much more in D3's favor than the ICs that it would be better to just counterpick D3?

Bnzaaa

Smash Ace
Snake, Marth, Samus, Mario, and Rob are the ones I can think of.

Dedede counters Snake, and Snake hard counters the Ice Climbers.

Dedede counters Marth, and Marth counters the Ice Climbers

Dedede has an eaiser time with Samus than the Ice Climbers do. Same goes for Mario.

Dedede does better against Rob than the Ice Climbers do.

Game and Watch goes even with Dedede, but counters/hard counters the Ice Climbers.

For Bowser and DK you could use either character.

ignore the fire

Smash Journeyman
i dont get the buffering system >.>
It's just entering a command before the previous command has finished, allowing you to execute a command on the soonest frame possible.

Dedede has an eaiser time with Samus than the Ice Climbers do. Same goes for Mario.

Game and Watch goes even with Dedede, but counters/hard counters the Ice Climbers.

Thanks. This is really helpful. I will probably stick to ICs v. Marth, though, because every Marth I've faced hasn't been able to space as well as me and I've gotten grabs.

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero

i agree with all of that except samus... i've NEVER had a hard time with samus.

Bnzaaa

Smash Ace
I have yet to face a Samus, but it can be agreed that Dedede has a huge advantage there. It's probably because I struggled against Samus in Melee.

But with Samus' nerfs, it's probably in our advantage too :).

smaci92

Smash Lord
urhmmm...I think bnzaaa is right about samus. Samus' seem hard for me...with all those projectiles, i can never desync, and desyncing makes me play better...

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
urhmmm...I think bnzaaa is right about samus. Samus' seem hard for me...with all those projectiles, i can never desync, and desyncing makes me play better...
double blizzrds stop everything except charge shots, and ice blocks stop all of those (all sizes).

i dunno... i guess the only thing i'd watch for would be to not be above her. like i said, i've NEVER had trouble with regular samus. now ZSS is different....

ignore the fire

Smash Journeyman
double blizzrds stop everything except charge shots, and ice blocks stop all of those (all sizes).

i dunno... i guess the only thing i'd watch for would be to not be above her. like i said, i've NEVER had trouble with regular samus. now ZSS is different....
I've never played a good samus, either. ZZS is another story. I got ***** by a good ZZS at my last tourney after losing to a G&W. It wasn't as bad as getting 3 stocked, and I won a game, but it was very overlwhelming. :dizzy:

B0mbe1c

Smash Lord
Sams is much easier than ZSS to play if your ICs.
For Marth do bthrow -> buffered Fthrow. Works like a charm. :3

ChibiIceClimberz

Smash Ace
NNID
ch33bdragonite
3DS FC
5370-0405-0580
Don't the ICs' Squall beat Samus's and Zamus's projectiles? I remember I've tried using Squall as many times as possible against a Samus that was spamming projectiles, and the Squall either canceled or the projectile just disappeared to the Squall.

Edit...
Wait, I think the hammers of their Squall beats the projectiles, but if the projectile hits the ICs, they're either get hit or their Squall gets canceled, no matter what, so the hammer beats Samus's and Zamus's projectiles, even Samus's Bomb Drop. 0.o;

ignore the fire

Smash Journeyman
Sams is much easier than ZSS to play if your ICs.
For Marth do bthrow -> buffered Fthrow. Works like a charm. :3
My CGs against Marth are flawless because I play one more than any other character. :)
I prefer the bthrow>dthrow, just in case Nana slides too far forward on the regrab.

Don't the ICs' Squall beat Samus's and Zamus's projectiles? I remember I've tried using Squall as many times as possible against a Samus that was spamming projectiles, and the Squall either canceled or the projectile just disappeared to the Squall.

Edit...
Wait, I think the hammers of their Squall beats the projectiles, but if the projectile hits the ICs, they're either get hit or their Squall gets canceled, no matter what, so the hammer beats Samus's and Zamus's projectiles, even Samus's Bomb Drop. 0.o;
I've never thought to squall through the projectiles for some reason.
The ZZS I lost too zoned me incredibly well with the side B special (I don't know the correct name for it), and she comboed like crazy when she got in close. It wasn't an easy matchup.

I know this isn't the D3 boards, but why would it be smarter to be D3 against Samus. I sometimes use Samus and I love playing D3 because he's easy to combo and especially easy to hit with zair (Samus' bread and butter). :ohwell:

B0mbe1c

Smash Lord
If you want an easier match, use D3 I guess. Considering you can just Infinite her to a F/Bthrow KO each time, it might be easier. But, D3 is big, so getting hit by many attacks is a pain.
While ICs can also inf. to get an easy kill, they are seperated easily and Nana is too easy to kill. Also, they are small, so it would be harder to survive at high percentages.
You choose.

Top Bottom