• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General ICs Q&A Thread

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
It's probably something I showed lain at no koast lololol.

lain

Smash Master
There's more to the footstool combo, and I've figured out some more character changing **** that will BLOW. MINDZ.

The footstool combo is super difficult because you not only have to hit someone in the right spot with the right velocity, but it's also just not guaranteed. Typically, both climbers footstool, which is the easiest way to do it.

Now, once you jump off of them, you can fast fall and make ONLY popo, or even BOTH climbers fast fall to the ground. The problem is when the people hit the ground. I've had people figure out how to stop the **** by timing their getup attacks when I come right to the ground. There's just gotta be better ways to handle this sort of thing. single climber stall above them? wat

There's been talk of being able to get nana to only do the footstool, so no big deal then popo just either grabs them OUT of the footstool itself, or can iceblock or some **** to make them stand up. HOWEVER, discussing with swordgard at APEX, it is VERY DIFFICULT to make only nana footstool, because you have to buffer the jumping after the hit. This is highly unreliable, and thus isn't viable in tourney.

don't worry, once I finally perfect some of this **** I've been experimenting with, I'll reveal it all to you.

Rubberbandman

Smash Champion
Lain, not only would you have to buffer the jump, but you would have to buffer it twice in order to footstool, which would cause you to jump.

What is really needed is someway to light hit the opponent out of the ground fall, so they have an instant get up. The only moves capable of doing that are Ice Block, Blizzard (When spaced well so it doesn't freeze), and Nair.

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
If I have some (read: four) different desync derivatives that I discovered recently, would it warrant a new thread or should I just post it in the genreral desync thread. Also, does the DSG (dash shield grab for all you non skypers) and its derivatives also warrant a thread? Just trying to advance the game =]

without internet. from my cell phone.

DeLux

tldr is never dash grab. always shield grab out of dash.

the rest of the thread will discuss the frame advantage theory as well as mixups. I see it as the way to play a more agressive climbers

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
Oh dash canceled shield grab. I thought it may be something else

Rubberbandman

Smash Champion
Our dash canceled grab is twice as good as anyone else's because of the fact we have so much slide in shield, making it about the same distance as our dash grab, but with less lag.

Teh Future

Smash Master
dash grab OoS is useful in a lot of situations...

obviously you shouldnt be dashing grabbing across FD but there is a window after you start dashing before you can shield :[

theorycraft better

Sieguest

Smash Master
Methinks Future is talking about the initial dash animation before the climbers start running. You can't shield during that time and it may be during that time that opponents take a shot at you or at least make some other move that would change how things are going.

If that's what he was getting at... x_x

Micklem

Smash Apprentice
As a falco main myself, I'd possibly consider IC mirror matches in order to combat that weakness.. But if they're only my second character would I be likely to get dominated if we're about the same ability in general? I imagine most IC mains don't have much experience Vs other IC users?

(I tend to avoid counterpicking characters which give ME the advantage since they follow by counterpicking in the next match, and we go around in an annoying circle which never works out for me somehow. Sooner or later a pikagay gets involved.)

B0NK

Smash Lord
Well that's a misconception, many IC players know how to play against other IC's. It's just become necessary to learn because so many people will try it. (Gracias Meep, GIMR, and Chu for the ditto practice lol)

It just creates a player vs player environment instead of a MU dependent environment.

But other MU i've seen people pick them up for are for just about any lightweights in general that you may be having trouble with. (Oli, Falco, Fox, Pikachu, Kirby, there are plenty more) All because the general consensus is it's easier to learn lightweight CG.

Micklem

Smash Apprentice
Ah, well kirby & pikachu are the other 2 bad MUs for falco lol so it seems it's worth learning ICs anyway (if I can lol I'm aware of the learning curve). Also useful if I'm not in the mood for a falco ditto..

Thanks for the info, I couldn't find much on the MU thread so any advice for either of these would be appreciated.

I guess I'll just have to man up and take ICs on as falco until I rock *** with ICs.

Anyway, I seem to have cut across Byron, who's question is now a page back (sorry bout that)

I am having problems chain grabbing can anybody give me advice on how to prefect it like lain does?

A vid of me trying to chain grab.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMOa0WNBSeE

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
@Byron, hold Z down so Nana's shield comes up and then let go of z to drop the shield. The shield drop animation is faster then Nana's grab animation thus it makes the chain grab quicker.

byron

Smash Apprentice
I don't understand what u mean. I did the chain grab using nothing but the z button and the joystick. do i grab with Popo hold z till i see the shield than back throw?

toobusytocare

Smash Lord
Ah, well kirby & pikachu are the other 2 bad MUs for falco lol so it seems it's worth learning ICs anyway (if I can lol I'm aware of the learning curve). Also useful if I'm not in the mood for a falco ditto..

Thanks for the info, I couldn't find much on the MU thread so any advice for either of these would be appreciated.

I guess I'll just have to man up and take ICs on as falco until I rock *** with ICs.

Anyway, I seem to have cut across Byron, who's question is now a page back (sorry bout that)
kirby isnt bad for falco <___<;
also falco can beat ICs, especially if it's someones ****ty secondary ICs
just camp and play really, really gay

BadKarma

Smash Journeyman
I don't understand what u mean. I did the chain grab using nothing but the z button and the joystick. do i grab with Popo hold z till i see the shield than back throw?
After you back throw keep holding down the grab button so nana will shield and slide back to popo.
Other than that practice practice practice.

DeLux

dash grab OoS is useful in a lot of situations...

obviously you shouldnt be dashing grabbing across FD but there is a window after you start dashing before you can shield :[

theorycraft better
I'll go more into this on Tuesday when I get internet but I disagree with your assessment. The premise that you can't shield out of dash is true, but isn't really applicable to the situation on weighing what is more useful between traditional dash grabbing and DSGing.

tldr The button inputs for the dsg will make you dash grab out of shield so they are equal OoS options.

BadKarma

Smash Journeyman
does anybody know how many frames per second there are? Like I understand what they are and its how the game is run but I've never understood how quick they actually are.
Thanks

Rubberbandman

Smash Champion
Are nana and popo related? :)

No one actually knows their connection. Just use your imagination. :V
does anybody know how many frames per second there are? Like I understand what they are and its how the game is run but I've never understood how quick they actually are.
Thanks
60 frames per second. As in, 1 frame is 1/60th of a second.

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
hold Z after Nana D-throws so Nana shields while popo grabs then instantly release it

Top Bottom