• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social General Ice Climber Chat

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
I like to dash attack if Peach DIs away. Anything that launches her up in the air is the best option imo. She's easy to combo when she's above you, even as sopo.

Another version of the desynch I mentioned is if you dash away, at the end of the initial dash you can input anything for Nana. It works decently with blizzard, but it's harder to do and not nearly as practical.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
Can someone explain how to do the desynch up-B where Nana "fails" and Popo does nothing? I learned how to do it a few years ago but shrugged it off as impractical. I would like to start using it again but unfortunately I can't figure out how to input it.

pockyD

Smash Legend
if you do up-b out of shield, nana does a jump and popo does the solo up-b animation on the ground... so i'm not really sure that's what you're talking about

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
You can also fall through a platform and up+b for the same effect... those are the only ways to desynch with up+b though.

*P*L*U*R*

Smash Hero
So I did something REALLY freaking cool to my friend's Fox. i wavedash in with an Uptilt and he smash DIs out to the side, expecting a Shine, i dash away from his Fox. Surely enough, he shines and I do a Pivot Jab. The pivot jab makes Nana Dash attack Fox, popping him in the air. I leap forward with Popo and Fair him back down into Nana's Dsmash, L-Cancelling and grabbing the fox before he travels too far.

If i could be more consistent with my desynch stuff, i'd be the flashiest, most incredible looking IC ever.

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
Here are a few of my thoughts regarding belay OoS.

-It's a strong, albeit situational tool for edgeguarding. For example, let's say a Fox is below the stage and just started his up-B. You can belay OoS and have Nana fastfall to the edge. If the Fox tries to sweetspot, he dies. If he overshoots a little, Popo can grab him and Nana will probably get back on stage with a get-up attack, which puts you in a good position for the handoff. You can stop most other things he can do on reaction. Similar things hold for a lot of other characters. It's also good against people who aren't familiar with it. Like, Marth can usually just wait for Nana to get back on stage, but if the Marth player isn't familiar with Nana's AI, he might up-B early such that he lands on stage, and you can then do whatever you feel like.

-Belay OoS is good for stopping some approaches. I specifically have in mind pretty much anything Falcon would approach you with, although it does have uses against other characters. For example, if you're sitting in your shield, a lot of Falcons will approach with an aerial after a second or two, and belay OoS -> blizzard can be used to beat that. You might be able to get a grab if the Falcon is caught off-guard and doesn't DI away quickly enough.

-It can be a good anti-shield pressure tool. Like, if you get close to a Ganon and he fairs your shield, you might be able to catch him off-guard with a quick belay OoS to blizzard.

-Something I used to do a lot, but not as much nowadays, is belay OoS -> blizzard against Falco's laser approaches. If you're confident that Falco is going to approach you with SHL, you can belay OoS, have Nana drift a bit behind you, and then blizzard; the laser will hit Popo and thus cancel the annoying laggy Solo up-B animation while the Falco risks getting hit by the blizzard.

The obvious danger with using belay -> OoS blizzard in the manner of the above several points is that it lags a lot and thus can be easily punished on reaction, but it still is a decent option every now and then.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
I experimented with the belay desynch a bit today vs. my friends. I don't think I ever got punished for doing it and it gave me control of the match in several instances, probably because they had never seen it before and weren't able to catch on. Since it's so uncommon I can probably have success trying it against better opponents.

I used to do pretty much only the traditional spot-dodge/roll desynchs but learning how to properly mix up that desynch with the belay desynch and the f-tilt desynch should improve my neutral game a lot.

smakis

Smash Ace
can the belay OoS be done at any time during shielding? i can only do it just as i start to shield, if i hold the shield then up b i do the normal belay

bruceleeland

Smash Apprentice
the up b oos with nana doing a blizzard works wonders. If they get caught, and they do not suspect it, the blizzard leads to a free grab/hit everytime. Great option and makes my ice climbers way more unpredictable.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
What's the best thing to do when I grab Ganon?

A dude I was playing today was consistently getting out of dthrow -> reverse dair, and I got confuzzled.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
I think the following wrongs on gannon

dthrow reverve dair
dthrow
handoff
dthrow down-smash
down-throw upsmash at low percents I believe
and i've been wanting to try and use down-throw upair on someone I think it would work on people it has a lot of stun time

Lixivium

Smash Champion

A dude I was playing today was consistently getting out of dthrow -> reverse dair, and I got confuzzled.
Low percentages - Wobbles combo: D-throw -> reverse D-air -> Up-tilt -> Up-air/B-air.

If your back is to the edge and Ganon's at a decent percent, just D-Smash or F-Smash after the reverse D-air and try to edgeguard.

Learn the hand-off. Ganon is actually one of the easier characters to do it on since he's so big.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend

Does d-throw d-smash cg work on Ganon?

Even if it doesn't the escape is probably not-DIing or DIing into ICs in which case you get to U-tilt / U-smash him anyway.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Does d-throw d-smash cg work on Ganon?

Even if it doesn't the escape is probably not-DIing or DIing into ICs in which case you get to U-tilt / U-smash him anyway.
I'll try it out this Friday and see if it works. I can do dthrow reverse dair pretty easily, but the dthrow dsmash cg is less cruel to my fingers.

Lixivium: I can do the handoff, but it's hard to manipulate Ganon to the ledge without an easy dthrow dair cg.

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
How was he getting out? I'm pretty sure Ganon needs sdi upwards to escape, so if he was ending up higher than your grab range/jumping/airdodging out, then it's possible he's really consistent at sdi. If not, maybe play with different timings of d-air... it should be really difficult to escape.

D-throw cg does work, although I have no idea what the % range is.

Finch

Smash Lord
Ganon gets out of dthrow cg at like 30-40 % so it's not that useful. If they're getting out of dthrow reverse dair (which I don't think he should be) then just do the simple dthrow dair that you do to spacies except with different timing. I don't think Ganon should be able to get out of that as long as you time it right.

PEEF!

Smash Hero
So there are players other than wobbles that can consistently hand-off on multiple characters? I haven't had a hard time doing the normal CGs, but the handoff is a little much. Or is it just intimidating?

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
I see no reason to believe dair is any good against Jiggs. It does decent damage, but it has such a small hitbox that I think using it against such a zoning-intensive character isn't practical.

edit: The handoff requires a lot of practice to get a good sense of the timing for it, but it is very possible to be proficient at it against multiple characters. I am good at it and I believe UI is as well.

PEEF!

Smash Hero
A note to you all:

I really like the IC's community. I have been creepin you guys for awhile because I always had an interest in this character and I must say you guys are very very helpful. It is a nice break from the hyper-exciteable Falcon boards (that I love) and the noob-filled Falco boards (<3).

I watched some of Lixi's matches at a tournament last week, and Jace played some mean climbers so I learned all these CJ's and some desyncs this week and the IC's are awesome.

Anyway, I just wanted to compliment you guys for being really chill and helpful. I thank you in advance for helping me grow with these characters and answering my questions. Y'all are a bunch of sweet Nanas.

PS: Call me PEEF.

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
I can handoff consistently but my nerves tend to get me in tournament. I'll get the first couple and then psyche myself out right before I finish it off... :(

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
I mean, I understand that bair, dsmash, ftilt, and grabs are better. Regardless of the match-up, that's your bread and butter. But the occasional FJ dair can be a nice mix-up. If you space it well, I don't know why, but it tends to beat her aerials.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
PEEF you know yellow nana is called banana welcome to the ice of climbers boards I'm also a weirdo who watches the samus boards don't tell them. Specking of the handoff you can do b-throw regrab vs bowser pity you never get the chance maybe vs Gannon it could work not likely but yeah just freakin throw him everywhere and if nana up-throw charge F-smash(I wish down-smash was taller). I want to try that later but as of now my little brother is playing my sims.

PEEF!

Smash Hero
A couple questions. Sopo = popo alone?

What is a dash dance blizzard grab? I guess I don't understand that desync.

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
Yes, Sopo is short for "solo Popo."

Dashdance -> blizzard is a desynch where you quickly run one way, dash the other, and then dash the initial direction again and input a blizzard command. This makes Popo do nothing and makes Nana blizzard. I'm assuming "dash dance blizzard grab" just means doing this and grabbing with Popo after Nana's blizzard hits the other character, which can work, but isn't reliable in general.

PEEF!

Smash Hero
Cool.

Another question. I find nanapult very difficult to actually impliment. Now, I'm sure I'm missing something but spotdodge>nablock>poblock>pult or shff>jump poblock>pult is slow and not really legit whatsoever?

NOO MY COLTS! MANNING BRING IT BACK!

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
The Nanapult isn't very good for the most part, regardless of how you set it up. If you connect with the blizzard you might be able set up a short combo or something, but if you don't, then you pretty much just threw Nana into the hands of your opponent.

I do think the Nanapult can be very useful in a few match-ups, though. Like, if you're fighting a Sheik who is camping with needles on a platform, and you're on the floor just outside of the needles' range, then Nanapult can create an opening, although I think it should only be used if you're really confident that the Sheik is going to stay on the platform and not do something like drop to the floor in anticipation of the flying Nana.

Also, Nanapult performed with a short hop can be used to apply decent pressure on flat surfaces, too. If a Marth or a Sheik is camping me, I'll often starting camping back with desynched ice blocks and eventually have Nana approach with a short hop blizzard, which usually doesn't lead too much, but still discourages the opponent from camping and thus indirectly can create openings.

edit: actually, I'm not sure that's exactly why approaching with short hop blizzard works, but it definitely can be helpful for getting camping for some reason.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
Nanapult is pretty hard and risky I don't use it really(not that I can). But yeah ice block ice block running FH billzard you have to do down-B really hard before she gets out of her box so yeah that's the problem most likely

PEEF!

Smash Hero
I can preform the technique fine ICG.

Fly, ok. It looks cool though. Probably the coolest non-grab thing I've seen from ICs. Ive never had an IC pult onto me, but yeah I have no idea what I would do.

So I guess there is general agreement that ice block chasing is boss?

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
NO, Down-smash is the answer to all if your going to die Down-smash, if you need to pee down-smash, you need to stay awake down-smash if your sad about life and don't want to live... down-smash.

but yeah ice blocks are good de-synce wd up to what ever. Also is there any reason why I shouldn't DD and wd mix up like wd wd dd forwards and back 2 or 3 times or every other time to mess with them

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
I'm not sure what you mean by "ice block chasing."

Generally speaking, ice blocks are probably best used for pressuring your opponent into approaching you.

PEEF!

Smash Hero
Sorry I was just using the terminology in one of the stickied guides.

roll/spotdodge > iceblock> wd anything aka chase

I know you know what im talking about now. Anything in particular aside from grab or dsmash you like to do in that situation vs certain characters? Just lookin for tipsies...

Top Bottom