• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social General Ice Climber Chat

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
Oh, I actually really dislike doing that. It's not hard at all for most characters (well, at least the good ones, lol) to avoid or stop a single ice block, plus you leave Nana behind when you approach behind an ice block, so even if you do successfully approach your opponent, you probably won't get much mileage off of it since you only have Popo in your control at the moment.

I'm not sure what situation you're talking about in the question near the end of your post.

The guides are probably out of date by now, although they still have a fair amount of good information.

PEEF!

Smash Hero
Well sh*t. Everything cool looking doesn't work=[

The question was what do you chase with, but you don't even do it.

All the cool stuff isn't even good...=[[[

EDIT: Why even desync these things.

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
It is generally a lot better to stay synched than to be desynched. Even if a lot of crazy , cool-looking things aren't practical, I still think ICs are really fun to use. I'd probably still be a Sheik/Falco main otherwise.

Turazrok

Smash Master
Cool.

Another question. I find nanapult very difficult to actually impliment. Now, I'm sure I'm missing something but spotdodge>nablock>poblock>pult or shff>jump poblock>pult is slow and not really legit whatsoever?

NOO MY COLTS! MANNING BRING IT BACK!
Who dat? LOL

PEEF!

Smash Hero
A little bit.

I feel like if all I do is wd dd around and look for a grab I'm kinda lame. I want to at least seem like I am trying hard and doing flashy stuff.

All the more inspiration to learn handoffs I guess, cuz dthrow dair and all the grab desyncs combined took like 6 hrs of practice. Falco techskill took me my whole first 8 months.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Don't just wavedance around hoping for a whiffed dash attack or jump-in. Throw out desynched ice blocks, blizzards, wavedash in and uair, SH or FJ depending on the match-up. Force mistakes; don't pray for them.

PEEF!

Smash Hero
Don't just wavedance around hoping for a whiffed dash attack or jump-in. Throw out desynched ice blocks, blizzards, wavedash in and uair, SH or FJ depending on the match-up. Force mistakes; don't pray for them.
WD in uair sounds like a bad idea...? Just attack over someones dome piece so they can hit you with their moves?

Lixivium

Smash Champion
WD in uair sounds like a bad idea...? Just attack over someones dome piece so they can hit you with their moves?
What you're really doing is predicting that they'll jump so that you catch them before their aerial comes out (because Up-Air is very fast). I do this all the time when I respawn and people run away from me. I chase them to the edge and anticipate when they'll try to jump over me. Just one possible situation.

And the one situation in which I think you truly "chase" someone with an Ice Block is when you throw a fastfaller at low percents.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Watch Chudat play. Wavedash -> full jump uair is critical against Falcon. Even more so than wavedash -> utilt, and that gets you grabs.

Not very useful against Marth, though. >_>

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
You could invent your own way of play you could say forget you. I mean ice climbers don't all play the same I spam and camp and I love it, but if you watch some people like chok they are cool to watch. You could have cool climbers. Try to de-synce a bunch or what have you.

I play as most people wield like I use the C-stick to jump with my bowser, I don't nair as much with my pichu, My marth is focused on movement, my falco spaces f-tilt, I don't rest as puff normally but I do put my self in places where I can easily rest and I let them know I could have. Do what you do but we have good advice. Maybe it will turn out we have been doing it wrong. LOL I think some ice climbers may quit at smash if they have been playing wrong all these years.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
I actually think the Nanapult is pretty effective if you don't use it excessively. If you desynch Ice Block, then shoot one with Popo the opponent will generally begin jumping over the ice blocks. If you Nanapult, you can catch them in the air, a position that is difficult to punish it from. It's definitely easy to get around but in tournaments I've had a very high success rate with it. At the very least I typically get a dash-A or uair follow-up which is a good setup and usually don't get punished unless I wasn't smart in deciding when to attempt it.

It's a good mixup to use once in awhile but that's about it.

PEEF!

Smash Hero
Lixivium. You coming to VGBootcamp IN? I could use some training because my IC's are really starting to do work.

My neutral game is pretty bad. Any tricks to REsyncing? Keeping nana alive is toughh.

My handoffs are getting much better.

Big question: About at what damage can I desync a blizzard onto their dome during the grab? What should I do to build damage until that point?

Lixivium

Smash Champion
Lixivium. You coming to VGBootcamp IN? I could use some training because my IC's are really starting to do work.
Sorry but I don't even know that I'll go to SMYM, much less a tournament in Indiana.

And really I shouldn't be "training" anybody because I play like a spaz.

My neutral game is pretty bad. Any tricks to REsyncing? Keeping nana alive is toughh.

My handoffs are getting much better.

Big question: About at what damage can I desync a blizzard onto their dome during the grab? What should I do to build damage until that point?
Any damage above 0 and you should be able to get at least one blizzard in once you grab them. It's just a matter of not screwing up after the blizzard. Sometimes it's better to not blizzard to make sure you get a charged smash in correctly.

There's nothing you can do about resynching except run over to Nana and protect her. DO NOT desynch all the time; desynching is overrated.

PEEF!

Smash Hero
Sorry but I don't even know that I'll go to SMYM, much less a tournament in Indiana.

And really I shouldn't be "training" anybody because I play like a spaz.

Any damage above 0 and you should be able to get at least one blizzard in once you grab them. It's just a matter of not screwing up after the blizzard. Sometimes it's better to not blizzard to make sure you get a charged smash in correctly.

There's nothing you can do about resynching except run over to Nana and protect her. DO NOT desynch all the time; desynching is overrated.
You did better than I did at that tournament. I made it out of pools then went 0-2 in brackets =[

Wow I thought they could break out of blizzard because it takes so long? Just remembered that theyre in hitstun during that time. There is no faster way to do it than grab>jab desync>blizard>whatever right?

Handoff on peach is the easiest it seems.

IC's being a secondary of mine, I'm not sure who to play them against. I guess Falco and Fox? I main Falco and Falcon. All of my characters have a tough time against peach and Marth, but IC's hardly help that out...Spacies that don't know how to play against IC's get utterly dominated which is neat.

Lixi, you better come to SMYM at LEAST! IDC if you play like a spaz, you won matches and that's what I'm tryna do.

BC AL

Smash Journeyman
hellos, IC mains, im going to be playing a really legit Marth soon....
i want to know any tips as i heard that the match up guide is kinda outdated...but it does have good info here and there...

PEEF!

Smash Hero
Asking here too:
How do the IC's edgeguard Marth? Apparently it's easy.....?

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
i just throw ice blocks, then edge hog (or just edge hog)
if he sweetspots, get up with a roll
if he doesnt sweetspot, i bair him or do a regular getup to dsmash/grab

if hes recovering high (like.. he DI'd well and still has his 2nd jump) i just try to either bair him or uair him, or wait on the ground and grab him where he touches down

its 'easy' cuz u dont really have to do anything fancy, like edgeguarding sheik

still not that 'easy' IMO to edgeguard a marth who's really smart about his recovery lol

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
hm that works too

i dont know how to make nana charge smashes LOL

mannnnn im so bad at all this basic stuff that other ic players do

handoffs

even wobbling

gah

PokemonMasterIRL

Smash Master
hm that works too

i dont know how to make nana charge smashes LOL

mannnnn im so bad at all this basic stuff that other ic players do

handoffs

even wobbling

gah
learn it, i used to not charge smashes but its really something to simple to not learn it.

i mean it takes like 2 secounds to master

headbutt with popo then charge a smash with nana.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
i just try to find a pattern and then challenge the fair with wd fsmash cuz im a risky baller like that

or just use nana blizzard or desynched ice blocks to stop stuff

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
CC'ing her ftilt into a dash JC grab work wonders.

Fair can be hard to challenge, but if you can get under Sheik and utilt or usmash her, that's a very good option. If Sheik is spaced such that you're not comfortable doing that, I like doing a short wavedash backwards into a quick DD blizzard to help counter her pressure.

PEEF!

Smash Hero
So I played ICees at a smashfest last night and it went...OKAY.

I choked major with grabs. I need to practice starting moves straight after the grab. My neutral game is badd though. I end up just doing WD>WD>WD>shield>hope for shieldgrab or some type of OoS opening. It sucks but knees overpower my life, and peaches...come the hell on that is horrible. I just get downsmashed times a million.

This character is harder than I originally thought.

Top Bottom