• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social General Ice Climber Chat

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Everyone probably already knows this, but I'll say it anyway:

Belay > Dolphin Slash

Seriously... You can, like, do a Belay straight above Marth as he tries to Dolphin Slash, and watch him hit the bottom climber and get knocked away.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
I'll try and get a video.

Just to explain a bit better...:

Popo
\
..\
....\
......\
.......Nana

..............^
..........Marth

If Marth does his up-b while Belay's hit-boxes are still out, he gets out-prioritized by Nana and gets knocked away a reasonable distance.

PEEF!

Smash Hero
Belay will never kill though. Marth, by pressing UpB will be DI'ing perfectly, so he will go almost straight up, and he won't die until about 160-170. Not to mention how risky this is.

I guess you could use it to do a suprise stage spike, but they could tech it, and it would be even harder to get that spacing right.
I will play around with it.

BTW, I am having a super hard time doing the nair falloff>hit marth. IDK why but it never works for me.

Also, I discovered a way to get nana onto the ledge quicker, it is easier than belay OoS, and popo takes much less lag. Video today I hope.

voorhese

Smash Master
Belay will never kill though. Marth, by pressing UpB will be DI'ing perfectly, so he will go almost straight up, and he won't die until about 160-170. Not to mention how risky this is.

I guess you could use it to do a suprise stage spike, but they could tech it, and it would be even harder to get that spacing right.
I will play around with it.

BTW, I am having a super hard time doing the nair falloff>hit marth. IDK why but it never works for me.

Also, I discovered a way to get nana onto the ledge quicker, it is easier than belay OoS, and popo takes much less lag. Video today I hope.
idk about you peef, but when i recover, once my character is going to the ledge i hold in in case i have to tech...so that DI theory of urs is false (on me anyway, but im sure im not the only person who does that)

smakis

Smash Ace
can't test it now but when I played last time it felt like you could desynch a jump with nana and grab the edge

could be wrong though, should have been tested by now

smakis

Smash Ace
it is indeed, but there is no need to use it (except if you want some distance in order to get closer to the edge, though a fthrow handoff would be more beneficial (more dmg + distance))

AshuRawRun

Smash Apprentice
I have to admit I do not know how to do an air breakout =), a bit shameful yes lol

I'm not sure either of how we do it, that ain't a shame IMO it's quite useless 95% of the time.

I guess you just have to put your stick up when the grab is released

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
doc is so balanced

theres no 1 solution to this matchup

gotta know all the situations. very tough

definitely preppin to beat shroomed. LOL

so today i was training ic's vs lvl 9 doc. learning many situations, like how to deal with pills, and some edgeguarding. i have a lot of 2007~2008 experience with HMW's doc, but shroomed is loads different. i tried playing my doc vs lvl 9 ic's and imitating shroomed... and wow doc has soooo many good reliable tools against them. they can't really combo each other so i think of peach vs puff... just a really balanced matchup. both chars can punish hard, both can recover, both can edgeguard, and neither can play really gay... ahhhhh. tough stuff.

stuff to watch out for
1. doc's dsmash, and jab->dsmash. too good
2. random nair approach. space this sh*t, or challenge it with blizzard/fsmash if you're cool. dont shield grab
3. doc can cover all options when edgeguarding... gotta think of good ways to fake him out
4. usmash/uairs/utilt... doc from beneath is pretty good
5. bthrow. invincible + hitbox = :(

good tools
1. ice block spam. he has no trouble with blizzard, so at least this forces him to jump or challenge our spamming with pills.
2. for some reason fsmash really ***** in this matchup.
3. ic's like being below
4. just gotta abuse ground speed... this matchup really comes down to our committed approaches. fast wd can hit him through openings, but just gotta know when he can guard himself with jab/utilt/pill/dsmash.

basically... defense is good on both sides, but offense is better. we cant camp doc forever and doc is too vulnerable to wd approach mixups if he plays too defensively.

ahhhhh.... 2007 all over again...

i wanna beat shroomed

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
I second the notion that ice blocks are really good against Doc. Retreating is also really good since he isn't fast on the ground. The last time I played HMW, he had a hard time punishing backwards wavedashes even when he read them, which was kind of funny. Sporadic dash attacks also seem great for stopping Doc's approaches, since they cut through Doc's moves nicely and put him in a bad position.

Blizzard isn't totally useless. There are always ways to sneak it in here or there, although I agree that ICs can't really on it all that much against him. My favorite time to use blizzard against Doc is when he is pressuring me with pills, but I don't want to retreat; just short hop blizzard toward him or walk forward and have Nana blizzard when Popo is in hitstun from the pill; the blizzard usually won't connect, but it does give you some breathing room for a second and it can lead to a short combo if Doc does fall into it.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
lols. no matchup is as strange as the ic's ditto

id like to try my luck against fly again haha. the matchup is so crazy and difficult. dsmash is so good

PEEF!

Smash Hero
Fly, what do you mean by "backwards wavedashes"?

The best I can do in that MU is shoot some blocks and randomly approach with WD>Fsmash.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Fly, what do you mean by "backwards wavedashes"?

The best I can do in that MU is shoot some blocks and randomly approach with WD>Fsmash.
not a bad strategy LOL

but yeah... this matchup is kinda like samus matchup where u just gotta know the right things to do in each situation.. can't really have a single general strategy, just gotta have experience and adaptability

other matchups i just have a single thought in my mind and win

fox: **** (or be *****)
falco: one hit = ko
falcon: **** (or be *****)
marth: blizzard
puff: blizzard block uair dair
sheik: camp till i can grab her
ganon: patience. if all else fails pick falco

but for doc and samus... i gotta think about every move lol.

PokemonMasterIRL

Smash Master
not a bad strategy LOL

but yeah... this matchup is kinda like samus matchup where u just gotta know the right things to do in each situation.. can't really have a single general strategy, just gotta have experience and adaptability

other matchups i just have a single thought in my mind and win

fox: **** (or be *****)
falco: one hit = ko
falcon: **** (or be *****)
marth: blizzard
puff: blizzard block uair dair
sheik: camp till i can grab her
ganon: patience. if all else fails pick falco

but for doc and samus... i gotta think about every move lol.
and your one sentence Peach MU summary?

Smasher89

Smash Lord
Only way to beat peach seems to be more experienced then the peach in the matchup.
So even though it sounds wierd, not playing the matchup in practice should help, since otherwise, the peachplayer will learn matchup specific things and it'll get harder then it allready is(might be written by a very chancebased mindset).
Easy way:
Pick puff, redifine airplanking(plattform/aircamping, since that's what the peach will do with her float otherwise against IC's) and use trix hbox doesn't use and it'll be a much easier way towards winning.

Going the hard way and actually winning against a top peach as IC's(no charswitch) will benefit more in the long run even though it's gonna be really hard but possible. A step in the right direction is to never get hit by fair, that move is probably atleast as good as puffs rest in general (atleast against one IC) so hit them before they hit you or don't even stay in the situation that you can get hit by it. Blizzard spaced well can work in some situations, as do suprise shorthopped forward-b. If you have her close to a platform where an iceblock would hit, iceblock so she looses the float. Also, learn to infinite, it's the key to have a slight chance of beating peach (something I still have to work on :( )

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
there are certain peach players who i wouldnt mind staying ics against (macd)

but for the most part yeah i just use a counter pick lol

yeah i could play ics but

i would go into the match without a lot of confidence lol

*P*L*U*R*

Smash Hero
Actually, Bair is really good vs Peach if you can space it right. IT beats all her air moves when spaced. Don't go for sheild grabs.

I've noticed that with IC, sheildgrabbing is unsafe as HELL because of our traction and bad grab range. High risk, High reward.

Anyways, I have a few videos of myself from a tournament last weekend.

Disclaimer = I was playing really bad all day, messing up easy stuff and I just generally couldn't move like I wanted to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMJDwgktL1A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWBvZepfyew
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tE8yzKnUd14

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Av_1DShArOs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cwciVa5Q9A

nh;rfiuajpiofdsjfkodfj

Sooo bad. ugh.

Top Bottom