• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General Final Fantasy Discussion - Final Fantasy XII remake incoming!

Krackshot Kroc

Smash Ace
I'm really not all that hyped up for Type-0. I do plan to play it eventually, but I'll probably end up picking it up either used or on Greatest Hits long after it comes out. I won't be buying a PS4 until either FFXV, KH3, MGS5 Phantom Pain or Persona 5 comes out.
I'm interested to try Type-0 out but I don't think I will be making a day 1 purchase even if I will potentially lose out on the FFXV demo

I just got the International version of FFXII and it is absolutely fantastic, it fixed a few gripes I had with the game and now it is probably my favorite FF game in the series

Minato

穏やかじゃない
It is mine. And thank you, you're the first person to say the GBA version is a good choice :p
I second the GBA version. Outside of that, your only options in english are the PS1 port with the horrible translations and load times or the iOS version which looks rather weird. Plus you get pretty cool extras in the GBA version. The only problem in the GBA version is the music, which isn't too bad if it's your first time hearing it.

And V's a great game. One of my favorites. Not the greatest story, but it has a fun scenario.
Lots of fun stuff to abuse and break the game too with its addicting job system.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Final Fantasy Dissidia just got announced for arcades in Japan. More info on April 10th, and they said it'll be a brand new system (so I'm guessing gameplay).

finalark

SNORLAX
So Dissidia III (or whatever silly, vague and hard to pronounce title they gave) is going to arcades? Do we know anything about a console/handheld release yet or have very little details been revealed?

EDIT: Also, this is pretty neat and worth watching:

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
Looking pretty interesting. If we got a port of that it will most likely be on PS4 unless Square wants to water it down for a Vita port.

Also, Y'shtola from FFXIV was featured a few times, so it looks like we'll be getting a rep from that game. I wonder how else they're going to expand the roster?

Vashimus

Smash Master
I was wondering when Square was gonna make a new Dissidia. It's one of the best things they've done with the FF brand in recent years, and they'd be silly not to release the new one worldwide.

Last edited:

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Dissidia with beautiful HD visuals and more characters, plus 6-player combat? Hell yes, please!

I wonder what new characters they will add to the mix? I was kind of surprised we didn't get more reps for Final Fantasy VI, IX, or XIII.

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
It looks pretty swell and yay for Y'shtola~

I'm interested in who else they would decide to bring into the series and a part of me would like to have Noctis in this game (but that most probably would not be the case since his game isn't out)

dezeray112

Smash Hero
I'm super excited after hearing the news of the new Dissidia for arcades.

Just hoping they will do a console port and I hope that the entire cast from Duodecim returns.

finalark

SNORLAX
My personal wish list for new characters:

- Guy (FFII, hopefully he will speak Beaver in his victory quotes)
- Rydia (FFIV, just don't make her a completely Yuna clone)
- Farris (FFV, because pirates)
- Shadow (FFVI, I don't think we've had a "ninja" type character yet)
- Red XIII (FFVII, I feel like Squeenix could do some unique stuff with him)
- Steiner (FFIX, because CLANG CLANG CLANG CLANG)
- Seymour (FFX, seriously, why wasn't he in Dissida 012?)
- Balthier (FFXII, entirely because he's the best character in the game, as long as he isn't a completely Laguna clone)
- Snow (FFXIII, giving that he's a fist-fighter he could potentially be pretty unique)
- Thancred (FFXIV, because I want a sweat Lahabreha costume for him)

9Blades

Smash Ace
NNID
Venusboshi04
3DS FC
4210-4504-3290
The new Dissidia looks great, even though I sucked at the first two :p
--------------------------
Btw, anyone have tips for this jerk? :T Been here for like, two weeks
B9.PNG

finalark

SNORLAX
View attachment 39286
If my memory serves that's a pretty straight forward boss fight. If he's kicking you into the ground then the only thing I can really suggest is grinding until you can be the one kicking him into the ground.

Also, what's your party? It looks like you have Bartz as a warrior, Lenna as a white mage, Galuf as a black mage and I think your Farris is a thief but I'm unsure.

9Blades

Smash Ace
NNID
Venusboshi04
3DS FC
4210-4504-3290
If my memory serves that's a pretty straight forward boss fight. If he's kicking you into the ground then the only thing I can really suggest is grinding until you can be the one kicking him into the ground.

Also, what's your party? It looks like you have Bartz as a warrior, Lenna as a white mage, Galuf as a black mage and I think your Farris is a thief but I'm unsure.
Faris is a Blue Mage. Not really the most useful thing. Everyone is lv 7 I think.

finalark

SNORLAX
Faris is a Blue Mage. Not really the most useful thing. Everyone is lv 7 I think.
In some FF games Blue Mage can actually be devastating (I.E. FFIX where Queen outpaces ALL OF YOUR CASTERS if you level it right). For FFV you have to get to Val Castle, about midway through the game, before you can learn some truly powerful blue magic. So yeah, it's not very useful until about midway through the game.

As for that fight, just grind until everyone in your party is level 10 at minimum and then come back. You shouldn't have any problems after that.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
My personal wish list for new characters:

- Guy (FFII, hopefully he will speak Beaver in his victory quotes)
- Rydia (FFIV, just don't make her a completely Yuna clone)
- Farris (FFV, because pirates)
- Shadow (FFVI, I don't think we've had a "ninja" type character yet)
- Red XIII (FFVII, I feel like Squeenix could do some unique stuff with him)
- Steiner (FFIX, because CLANG CLANG CLANG CLANG)
- Seymour (FFX, seriously, why wasn't he in Dissida 012?)
- Balthier (FFXII, entirely because he's the best character in the game, as long as he isn't a completely Laguna clone)
- Snow (FFXIII, giving that he's a fist-fighter he could potentially be pretty unique)
- Thancred (FFXIV, because I want a sweat Lahabreha costume for him)
To be honest I thought Seymour would've made it in the first one. However I do recall the the developers saying something about him having less interaction with Tidus which is why Jecht was chosen. Let me find the source to that if I can.

Anyways here is my wishlist:

Rydia - FFIV
Faris - FFV
Celes/Shadow - FFVI
Vincent Valentine - FFVII
Rinoa Heartilly/Seifer Almasy - FFVIII
Vivi - FFIX
Seymour/Auron - FFX
Balthier - FFXII
Snow Villiers/Noel Kreiss/Serrah Farron - FFXIII series
Noctis - FFXV

Minato

穏やかじゃない
The new Dissidia looks great, even though I sucked at the first two :p
--------------------------
View attachment 39286
If you want to make FFV really REALLY easy, I suggest putting everyone as a monk and leveling up to 2 for that job. You should get barehanded as an ability. It's going to make saving money easier for you and give you really good damage for any job. As for this boss, he does a lot of damage. I don't think mages really are too helpful for this boss. You'll want characters with enough HP to survive the fight. I think making everyone monks will make you pass this fight (Knight isn't too great imo).

As for later, if you're having issues with battles, old status is really helpful in FFV iirc. But you can't get that yet.

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
If you want to make FFV really REALLY easy, I suggest putting everyone as a monk and leveling up to 2 for that job. You should get barehanded as an ability. It's going to make saving money easier for you and give you really good damage for any job.
Sometimes I wonder if Sqeenix puts monk weapons into the games in hopes that new players won't realize how horribly overpowered the class is barehanded.

finalark

SNORLAX
So... any of you guys play XIV? I've been going in on it pretty hard lately, haha.
I still play. I'm working with a 50 BLM on Lamia with WHM at 30. I'm not doing a whole lot of end game stuff because I don't really have the time to be super dedicated, but whenever I log on I end up wasting a ton of time at the golden saucer.

finalark

SNORLAX
Excuse the double post, but I've got some news.

FFX/X-2 is coming to PS4. Pre-Ordering it will net you a desktop calender with Amano art plus the snazzy limited edition box. Aside from that, new features exclusive to the PS4 include cross-saving with the Vita Version, remote play if you have a Vita, and the ability to switch between the original OST and the remastered OST.

So yeah, personally speaking if you already have the PS3 version there's not a whole lot of reasons to pick it up on PS4. Unless the remastered OST really, really rubs you the wrong way.

Sauce: http://www.novacrystallis.com/2015/...-cross-saves-and-original-soundtrack-options/

Now, where's my FFXII HD, Squeenix?

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
Ugh they probably did that OST thing on purpose.

Not including it on the PS3 that is.

Last edited:

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Now, where's my FFXII HD, Squeenix?
There was a rumor that it's in the works and it's for next year to coincide with the 10 year anniversary of the game.

It certainly doesn't feel like a 9 year old game right now...

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
There was a rumor that it's in the works and it's for next year to coincide with the 10 year anniversary of the game.
Deja vu. What "is" for next year? The announcement trailer? The announcement tweet? X's was off by 2 years. Hope they don't mess up again.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
I still play. I'm working with a 50 BLM on Lamia with WHM at 30. I'm not doing a whole lot of end game stuff because I don't really have the time to be super dedicated, but whenever I log on I end up wasting a ton of time at the golden saucer.
Nice! I haven't really spent a lot of time at the Golden Saucer yet, but it seems sick. Triple Triad is a lot of fun.

50 PLD on Gilgamesh, working on endgame relic weapon stuff. I think I'll take a break on that once I get to books though. Plus I need to focus on getting better gear as well. I plan on getting my LNC up too, just so I can have something else to do besides grind dailies for tomes.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Deja vu. What "is" for next year? The announcement trailer? The announcement tweet? X's was off by 2 years. Hope they don't mess up again.
It didn't say, but people were assuming it'll at least be shown by next year because of Verendus's rumor that FFXII HD is at least happening. Verendus has been a credible leaker with his track record so far, so I feel like it's just a matter of when.

XII is a bigger game than X and X-2, but I feel like a remaster isn't going to be that bad on how long we have to wait. They're definitely going to have to go through audio changes since the compression on the PS2 was terrible. But I don't think they ran into the issue of losing assets like some of their past games and having to recreate them.

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX

It certainly doesn't feel like a 9 year old game right now...
FFXII is nine years old? Damn, where has time gone? It feels like its a five or six year old game to me, but I guess it really has been that long.

On that note, that would make FFXIII five years old at this point. I can't believe it's been that long since everyone's collective jimmies were rustled.

50 PLD on Gilgamesh, working on endgame relic weapon stuff. I think I'll take a break on that once I get to books though. Plus I need to focus on getting better gear as well. I plan on getting my LNC up too, just so I can have something else to do besides grind dailies for tomes.
I'm really hoping that DRG gets some buffs in Heavensward. I have a friend who mains the job and his DPS is always just a bit behind the curve.

I'm actually leveling a Summoner on top of my WHM. I want that Arcmage title before the expansion comes out.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
I'm really hoping that DRG gets some buffs in Heavensward. I have a friend who mains the job and his DPS is always just a bit behind the curve.

I'm actually leveling a Summoner on top of my WHM. I want that Arcmage title before the expansion comes out.
Yeah, DRG buffs would be great. I feel like melee DPS is fun, but it can kind of be a bit of a struggle. And the DRG rotation is so tight, if you have to move at all, you lose some of your damage.

Nice! I played ARC a bit on my old account, and it was a lot of fun. I may go back to it eventually, but I'd probably go Scholar for EZmode healing. I should definitely delve into the magic classes a bit more at some point, but MRD is probably next on my list for some of the cross-class skills. I am a sucker for titles though, haha.

finalark

SNORLAX
Yeah, DRG buffs would be great. I feel like melee DPS is fun, but it can kind of be a bit of a struggle. And the DRG rotation is so tight, if you have to move at all, you lose some of your damage.
In FFXI Dragoons could summon a wyvern to help with DPS. Unfortunately, it was incredibly squishy and had a two hour long cool down. I feel like if they gave dragoons a meatier version of this wyvern that could really help them keep their numbers up, especially with the mobility their rotation requires.

Or Squeenix could just let the LOLDRAGOON joke never die. That's the more likely outcome.

On the topic of jobs, I'm still crossing my fingers for Samurai in the future.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
In FFXI Dragoons could summon a wyvern to help with DPS. Unfortunately, it was incredibly squishy and had a two hour long cool down. I feel like if they gave dragoons a meatier version of this wyvern that could really help them keep their numbers up, especially with the mobility their rotation requires.

Or Squeenix could just let the LOLDRAGOON joke never die. That's the more likely outcome.

On the topic of jobs, I'm still crossing my fingers for Samurai in the future.
That sounds pretty cool, it's unfortunate that something like that didn't carry on in ARR. I just don't have a lot of hope for the DRG, and I think it got buffed in 2.4, so... I guess we'll see!

Samurai would be really sick, honestly. I'm really liking the look of the gunner class that's coming out as well. I can't wait for Heavensward, it's gonna be awesome. Now if only they would let me buy Lightning hair, my life could be complete~

Atrabilious

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Atrabilious
Dissidia 3 needs spin-off representation, yo.

Specifically Final Fantasy Tactics. That game is amazingly fun, and not only that but I'm personally of the opinion that it has a better story and cast of main characters than most of the mainline numbered titles. Not that my opinion merits much but I think it deserves to get some limelight in this Dissidia, FFT doesn't get as much love as it deserves.

If the new Dissidia features Ramza Beoulve as a warrior of Cosmos and either Delita Heiral or Ultima the High Seraph as a warrior of Chaos then I will essentially want for nothing where this game is concerned. If they're voiced by the guys who voiced them in the PSP remake, War of the Lions, that's even better. If they went with Delita then I would love Agrias Oaks and Thunder God Cid costumes for him, in the same way Edea was a costume for Ultimecia. He shares their holy knight skill set in FFT, so why not.

As far as characters from the other games go... The only big ones I'd really like to see are General Beatrix, Seifer Almasy, Seymour Guado, Celes Chere, and Dysley/Barthandelus. I suppose that Caius guy from the FF13 sequels could work but I've admittedly never played the follow up to FF13 as I generally try to avoid direct FF sequels like the plague, so I dunno how worthwhile he is as a character. I feel like the aforementioned would have some serious beef with pre-existing characters in the roster, so it'd work well for a story mode if they don't give everyone amnesia again.

Side note... I'm genuinely curious how they'll handle the Cloud of Darkness. Part of me thinks they'll give her a more modest appearance if she makes a return. She was surprisingly risqué in Dissidia/Duodecim, wonder if they'll stick to their guns where her design is concerned.

Top Bottom