• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General Final Fantasy Discussion - Final Fantasy XII remake incoming!

finalark

SNORLAX
Like you said I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks XI and XIV aren't part of the main FF series, but more of a parallel "online edition" MMO with FF elements. The games could probably be named something else and it wouldn't make a difference, not sure why they decided to number them as if they were part of the single player series of FFs, probably to rake in more cash.
I would have preferred if they had just branded them as Final Fantasy Online and Final Fantasy Online II, respectively.

It doesn't help that Square treats XI and XIV like they're natural evolution of the series. I'm not against MMOs, I actual really enjoy the FF MMOs even if XI holds up about as well as a cardboard box in a rainstorm, but I can't help but feel that XI is the point where the series started to do things a bit differently. I don't want to say bad, since I actually like most of the games after X, but different certainly.

finalark

SNORLAX
Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward, the first expansion for the game, was announced yesterday. The expansion will take place primarily (but not exclusively) in Ishguard, a city locked in constant war while simultaneously being ravaged by internal conflict such as a class divide and abuse from the noble houses. The expansion will have the following features:

- Level cap increased to 60 (which I'm not okay with)
- Several new zones including Ishguard and Dravian Forelands in addition to currently unnamed floating landmasses
- A new playable race (No specifics yet, but I'm crossing my fingers for something from Ivalice)
- Several new jobs (Again, no specifics but I'm crossing my fingers for Red Mage, Blue Mage and Samurai)
- New Primals, including a new, original one that isn't based on any previous game
- Free Company Airships
- New Dungeons, raids, gears, crafting items, ect.
- Set to come out around 3.0

Here's there trailer, heavily featuring dragoons and notes from Blizzard:

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I'll send out my thoughts on those previous posts eventually. I read them way back, but I didn't want to reply on my phone.

In other news, happy 20th anniversary FFVI US.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
While Final Fantasy IX was my introduction to the series (through watching a friend play it at home), the first game I ever played was Final Fantasy IV for the DS. I knew next-to-nothing about the plot or the characters when I got into it, but I enjoyed it immensely. Even after playing through FFVI and FFIX, I still consider it to be my favorite (although those other two are very close behind).

Right now, I'm playing through FFVII on the PS1. I bought it for Steam last year, but for some reason I couldn't get into it, so I decided to look for the original console version so that I can truly experience it for what it was back in 1997.

Bullys

Smash Apprentice
NNID
bullys23
Wow triple triad to mobile, thats ... awesome.

I've tried to get into the FF's online, my brother actually adored XI, his complaint was the leveling system made it tough in grouping. Think hes enjoying XIV, we went the london fantasy festival a few weeks back, and it did look good, but I cant play PVE MMO's - I hardcored WoW PVE at level 60 (vanilla release) and after that I can only PVP (I think online games are in my DNA to be pvp - I started with Quake and CS, then whenever I do a MMO it has to be PVP as hardcore and as high level as possible).

However, I am playing through VI again atm, and loving every second of it.

Did anyone go to the Distant Worlds a few weeks back in London?

finalark

SNORLAX
Did anyone go to the Distant Worlds a few weeks back in London?
I wish. I've always wanted to go but it's never been anywhere near me.

On a news related note, GREAT NEWS EVERYONE! Square is doing a massive sale on all of their games on their online store. Scrolling through it looks like they have everything from new games to even a few PS1 and PS2 titles all discounted. So if there's anything you want I'd suggest picking it up now. I believe this sale ends after Monday.

http://store.na.square-enix.com/sto...00/categoryID.63256100/size.229/startIndex.0/

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Not that I absolutely want a remake (if it happens, that's great though and I'd get it), I don't know how to feel about this.

I didn't watch it live, but I can't believe something like this happened. Square's either out of touch thinking that this is something we'd be excited for, or just straight out trolls now lol. Still amuses me how we got this guy to fly out to America again, and Sony gave these guys stage time.

Since the guy that presented this was also the "Please be excited" guy, I'm not going to get my hopes up the next time he appears, haha.

finalark

SNORLAX
From what I've heard this is going to be a port of the PC version, so we'll get the slightly updated graphics and trophies from that version. I'm not one of those people who are clamoring for a remake, I still have my old PS1 copy of the game and I'm perfectly happy with that. Although if Sqeenix was to release remakes of the PS1 games I'm sure I'd buy them all.

On that note, I will admit that I at first I was expecting the trailer to suddenly switch to shiny new HD visuals after showing the dated PS1 graphics and trying to spark some nostalgia. I think it was at the one minute mark that I realized it was just the old game available for download. Maybe we'll see something in 2017 for the game's twenty anniversary. Or, knowing Square, we're just going to get more FF7 spin offs.

Bullys

Smash Apprentice
NNID
bullys23
From what I've heard this is going to be a port of the PC version, so we'll get the slightly updated graphics and trophies from that version. I'm not one of those people who are clamoring for a remake, I still have my old PS1 copy of the game and I'm perfectly happy with that. Although if Sqeenix was to release remakes of the PS1 games I'm sure I'd buy them all.

On that note, I will admit that I at first I was expecting the trailer to suddenly switch to shiny new HD visuals after showing the dated PS1 graphics and trying to spark some nostalgia. I think it was at the one minute mark that I realized it was just the old game available for download. Maybe we'll see something in 2017 for the game's twenty anniversary. Or, knowing Square, we're just going to get more FF7 spin offs.
I do agree with you - I am more than happy with my FF7 PS1 which I still am playing through on a regular basis (well once every year or two, new parties each time etc..)

I'd have loved a HD remake, and in part given how many times they've ported and updated other games - and that we are getting a HD remake of 12 - it SURPRISED me (not disappointed me) that FF7 didnt get the nod, purely because its arguably one of the most beloved games (certainly RPG's) of all time, not just FF or Square Enix games.

But that said - I actually dislike playing FF7 on my PC - not because of the port - so having it on the PS4 will just feel a bit more at home.

finalark

SNORLAX
I'd have loved a HD remake, and in part given how many times they've ported and updated other games - and that we are getting a HD remake of 12 - it SURPRISED me (not disappointed me) that FF7 didnt get the nod, purely because its arguably one of the most beloved games (certainly RPG's) of all time, not just FF or Square Enix games.
I haven't heard Sqeenix say anything official about FFXII HD yet. The last time I recalled them mentioning it they said that they weren't planning on making it because fans didn't want it enough or some nonsense. I don't know if they think that it won't be profitable or what, but I personally have been dying to give the revamped licence board a go. IMO FFXII is probably the single most underrated game in the main series. You really don't see a whole lot of people talk about it these days. Hell, even back in 2006 the game came out, people played it. Some people liked it, others didn't. And then everyone just kind of forgot about it.

That aside, I'm genuinely surprised that Square is dragged their heels on remaking the PS1 games. That's a goldmine waiting to be dug. Just taking a glance at sales I'd argue the series was at its international peak in popularity in the PS1 era, so there's no doubt that they'd sell well. Hell, it doesn't even have to be FFXIII quality graphics or anything. All they'd have to do is redraw the dated prerendered environments in glorious 16x9 high resolution, update the models and textures, put in some more content, fix some translation errors and hopefully give us some voice acted cut scenes for the game's most pivotal moments. There you go, that would convince me to rebuy every PS1 FF if they all got that treatment.

Bullys

Smash Apprentice
NNID
bullys23
I haven't heard Sqeenix say anything official about FFXII HD yet. The last time I recalled them mentioning it they said that they weren't planning on making it because fans didn't want it enough or some nonsense. I don't know if they think that it won't be profitable or what, but I personally have been dying to give the revamped licence board a go. IMO FFXII is probably the single most underrated game in the main series. You really don't see a whole lot of people talk about it these days. Hell, even back in 2006 the game came out, people played it. Some people liked it, others didn't. And then everyone just kind of forgot about it.

That aside, I'm genuinely surprised that Square is dragged their heels on remaking the PS1 games. That's a goldmine waiting to be dug. Just taking a glance at sales I'd argue the series was at its international peak in popularity in the PS1 era, so there's no doubt that they'd sell well. Hell, it doesn't even have to be FFXIII quality graphics or anything. All they'd have to do is redraw the dated prerendered environments in glorious 16x9 high resolution, update the models and textures, put in some more content, fix some translation errors and hopefully give us some voice acted cut scenes for the game's most pivotal moments. There you go, that would convince me to rebuy every PS1 FF if they all got that treatment.
Sorry I did actually mean FFX and X-2 my mind was just being stupid :D

And I totally agree with you on the remakes of the PS1 (and even PS2) games.

Just look at the old NES/SNES games - they've been ported over to the GBA's, DS's, Phones and even PC to GREAT success!

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
Speaking of FFX and X-2, Square officially announced that FFX/X-2 HD will see a PS4 release in spring 2015.

As far as I can tell there's no new features that have been announced for the PS4 versions of the games, so I guess it's nice if you don't have a PS3 and want to revisit FFX.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/12/11/7378141/final-fantasy-10-10-2-ps4-release-date

EDIT: Also, Final Fantasy Type-0 HD collector's edition was announced today. Right now it's listed at $100, $40 more than the regular edition and will include the following goodies:

- A steel case (for those of you who got the collector's edition of FFXII back in the day think of it like that)
- OST
- Type-0 Manga
- Art Book
- Cards used by the character Ace
- Final Fantasy XV Demo

I'm really hoping they don't pull a fast one on us and make that demo collector's edition exclusive.

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
*MORE NEWS BUMP*

An English version of the TGS trailer for Final Fantasy XV has been released. If anyone who was curious to know what the dub would be like here's a good first look at it.

Everyone sounds about what I expected them to sound like. I really don't have any problems with it, although a lot of the characters do sound a bit on the samey side. I'm hoping that won't really be an issue in the final version of the game.

Also, Noctus' final line in the trailer. "It's been a long time. Too long. How much longer?" And then no release date. At this point I've decided that Sqeenix has just maxed out its troll level.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Not too bad. Square dubs are usually good (although Lightning's VA felt more like she showed disinterest while it should've been more like she was distant from people). Only VA that could've been better is Noctis for me. I like the JPN version of his much more. This one's a bit more deep than I expected it to be. The others do a good job fitting the characters though.

Last edited:

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
Sounds good so far. Noctis is strange, but that's probably because of him looking so much like Sasuke that I expect Yuri Lowenthal. Maybe his blond friend is though? I find it kind of hard to tell with some of his lines. I can't guess anyone else.

I really like what I'm seeing of FFXV. It's nice to have a Final Fantasy game I'm looking forward to again.

sakuraZaKi

The Ultimate Sore Loser ♡
I'm filling in for my mom at the inn we run~
NNID
taeZaKi
3DS FC
3754-7545-6675
I'm not a fan of Noctis' voice at all too. It was just way too low (and kind of unnatural/forced) for it to be noticeable imo.

I can imagine it blending/clashing with some orchestral music.

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
I wonder if Japanese fans of western games prefer the English voice acting to the Japanese dubs?

I will agree that Noct's voice is a bit on the deep side, though. It didn't really bother me all that much. I wouldn't mind if Sqeenix released another dub trailer that gave us a few different scenes from the game so we could get a better idea of what the characters sounded like.

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
They haven't provided a readable list of the voice cast have they? I think I hear Yuri, but I'm not too sure.
The voices seem quite fine to me, except for Noct. :/

As what everyone else is saying, I find it too deep sounding. But I guess I shouldn't judge his English VA too soon since he didn't have too much to say in the trailer!

finalark

SNORLAX
Here's something interesting. Right now GameFAQs current poll is "What is your Favorite Final Fantasy game?" Right now, using this poll as an example hear is the series listing for least to most popular.

14: Final Fantasy II
13: Final Fantasy XI
12: Final Fantasy III
11: Final Fantasy XIV
10: Final Fantasy
9: Final Fantasy XIII
8: Final Fantasy V
7: Final Fantasy XII
6: Final Fantasy IV
5: Final Fantasy VIII
4: Final Fantasy IX
3: Final Fantasy X
2: Final Fantasy VI
1: Final Fantasy VII

The only thing that surprises me so much is that Final Fantasy I is so low. Looking at the top five, FFVII makes sense given that it's the best selling game in the series. Following by VI, which has an extremely fierce and vocal following. Then X, which is generally well liked anyway. After that there's IX, since that game ended up in the top 5 most popular games in the series I'm going to be citing this post if anyone comes in here to say that it's underrated, and Final Fantasy VIII ends the top 5. Unsurprising that it's at the to bottom since it seems to be the most controversial of the PS1 trilogy, but it is a PS1 FF, and god knows that most people never bothered with the series beyond the PS1 installments.

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
A ton of details about FFXV were revealed recently. This is going to be a long post but I'll post up the highlights:

* Traditional towns are back
* Cid won't be deeply involved in the story, but she'll be relevant in other ways
* To get summons you'll have to defeat them first
* Only Notcus will be able to summon
* You will have the ability to parry enemy attacks with well-timed button presses
* Magic does not swap MP, instead dodging and warping will drain it, making it closer to a stamina bar
* The Magic system will not be like FFVIII's, although that still leaves us in the dark on it. Square will release more info on magic "when it's ready(™)"
* Weapons have abilities, similar to the Kingdom Hearts series
* It will be possible to switch weapons in combat, much of the combo system appeared to be based on this similar to Devil May Cry
* Although the car is meant to be your primary form of transportation there will also be mountable Chocobos in the game
* Players will be able to set up camps where are meant to act as safe heavens
* Camping will also be vital to leveling up
* There will be some kind of cooking system in the game where you can buy ingredients in town or get them off of monsters
* The demo version will have both English and Japanese audio available, this is also planned for the full game
* There will be a day/night cycle
* The team working on the game wants to cut down on amount of menu navigation the series is (in)famous for to focus on the action aspect of it
*Oh yeah, Titan is in the game and he looks awesome

Here's some sauce to go with this pasta:

http://www.novacrystallis.com/2014/...mons-battles-and-camping-detailed-in-famitsu/
http://www.novacrystallis.com/2014/...info-tech-demo-revealed-at-comic-fiesta-2014/

finalark

SNORLAX
Yup. Cid-ney....

Obviously a skimpily clad girl...
Such is the way of games targeting adolescent males.

Still, say what you will about short shorts and an open top but at least its a change of pace from "Old guy" Cid who's personality varies from helpful to cheery to grouchy depending on the game. Granted, FFXIII Cid was a pretty boy, so I guess that's the half way point.

finalark

SNORLAX
Yea yea. Aren't (Cid)s usually playable?
No. Most of the time he's an NPC. The only games where he's actually a fully controllable party member was FFIV and FFVII. If you want to get technical, he was also playable in IX. Although that was just for a very brief mini game.

Last edited:

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
No. Most of the time he's an NPC. The only games where he's actually a fully controllable party member was FFIV and FFVII. If you want to get technical, he was also playable in IX. Although that was just for a very brief mini game.
Haha I guess that's it.

The Final Fantasies I have finished are IV and VII....

I started the others and don't even know why I didn't complete them. Guess I gotta get going with their playthroughs!

finalark

SNORLAX
As an adult who has no children this really doesn't make a difference to me, but is interesting anyway.

Final Fantasy Type-0 is the first FF game to bare a mature rating from the ESRB. This isn't really all that astonishing since it's billed as the most brutal FF game to date, or at least the most graphic. Even in Japan the game received a C rating (15+) instead of a the standard B rating (12+) the series normally gets. It makes me wonder if FFXV will end up bearing an M on its box instead of a T.

Anyway, here's a quote directly from the ESRB on why Type-0 got the video game equivalent to an R rating. Also, this paragraph make contain some spoilers with no context. So if you're sensitive to that, don't read it.

This is an action game in which players assume the role of students fighting to protect their nation from invaders. Players traverse fantasy environments and battle enemy soldiers and other creatures in melee-style combat. Players use swords, bows, firearms, and magic spells to kill various enemies (e.g., robots, blobs, mechanical beasts). Battles are accompanied by realistic gunfire, screams of pain, and large blood-splatter effects; some sequences depict blood stains on players’ screen and corpses lying in pools of blood. Cutscenes depict additional acts of violence: a man stabbing himself with a sword; a girl shot by a sniper; a character shot close-up. During the course of the game, some female characters are depicted in outfits that expose large amounts of cleavage and jiggling breasts. In one sequence, players can use a spy camera to zoom in on a female character wearing a bikini. The game includes event scenes in which a character sedates/drugs players’ character and performs unknown acts on them; it is implied that some of these acts may be of a sexual nature.
tl;dr version, or rather, what you can expect to see on the back of the box: Blood, violence, sexy stuff and drugs.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
I want to play FF-Type 0 no matter how, unconventional it is but I don't see myself purchasing a PS4 any time soon, especially cause it doesn't have backwards compatibility.

I do have a copy of the fan translation though which was taken down by Square Enix, so I might try that.

Although the way Square Enix has been porting their games to the PC as of lately, I won't be surprised if eventually some of these games make it onto Steam, after few years of exclusivity to consoles. Especially since porting has been made easy due to the x86 structure of the newer consoles.

finalark

SNORLAX
I want to play FF-Type 0 no matter how, unconventional it is but I don't see myself purchasing a PS4 any time soon, especially cause it doesn't have backwards compatibility.
I'm really not all that hyped up for Type-0. I do plan to play it eventually, but I'll probably end up picking it up either used or on Greatest Hits long after it comes out. I won't be buying a PS4 until either FFXV, KH3, MGS5 Phantom Pain or Persona 5 comes out.

Top Bottom