• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General Discussion

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
I really like DJN; I'm confident he'll do what he has to to set things straight.

OMG new Tiger flights from Melbourne to Brisbane; RT's are like $140, what upppppppp?!

Karp-0S

Smash Journeyman
Every noob will be using that overpowered monster that is NTSC fox.

DK gets nerfed in NTSC. Boo to the idea of NTSC in Pal. Boooooo!!!

Peace out
Twould imply we can all use the 'overpowered monster that is NTSC fox'.

How I R Wavedash?

There is enough trouble on my end bringing the doc.

Dedu

Smash Lord
Hahahaha

Marth for once would be able to pull of Ken Combos without the opponent doing lame up b cancels in response.
And Sheik wub <3

Feggets? Hark who's calling feggets :p

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JVOU9GgLqqU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JVOU9GgLqqU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
here's something you kids might find funny.

there are a few guys around here who i play smash with (brawl and melee) but theyre horrible to the point where i can win 3v1 matches in both games with team attack off. ridiculous.

but anyway, i showed a few of them 'shined blind' at which point they promptly asked if the game had been speed up or fast forwarded. i laughed.

Sieg

Smash Champion
I used to say that. It's not that funny.

It seriously does looked sped up to a new player.

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
umm yes it is, 1/6th of a second faster... **** your just too scrub to realise..
its 1/6th slower in pal if pal is set to 50hz, otherwise theyre the same in speed

60hz is the same as ntsc, ive even looked at the frames for some things myself (on both versions now thanks to dolphin)

and both ntsc and pal (60hz) produce 60fps, so theyre the same speed

Darkwing SykeDuk

Smash Dankist
Even at 60hz PAL is still slower because its merely upscaled to look 60hz and not at the true 60hz like NTSC is. Its similar to how they upscale things to 1080i/p, its close but there are differences.

Atticus

Smash Journeyman
There are two possibilities:
1. Melee runs at 60 fps in all versions regardless of refresh rate.
2. Melee runs at 50 fps in 50 hz and 60 fps at 60 hz.

I believe the first case to be true because intuitively, the choppiness of 50 hz looks like it isn't capturing every frame the game is generating (like an emulator's frame skip), but either way, 60 hz runs at 60 fps and you're wrong.

If the game actually ran 1/6 of a second slower in PAL regardless of refresh rate i.e. 50 fps, the 60 hz option couldn't possibly have visible benefit because 50 hz would already capture every frame. The idea of upscaling it to make it "look 60hz" doesn't even make sense.

I'll keep training up though, maybe one day I can be good enough to perceive speed differences that don't exist.

Dekar289

Smash Hero
you pretend to be joking syke but i bet you really are just ******** naw

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
if you play ntsc smash and then play pal 60hz smash and dont notice a difference you need to die..
i like it how you say its different, where as ive flat out tested it (and im pretty sure other people have too hey), and have found it to be exactly the same, game still plays in 60 fps and attacks go for the same amount of frames, are active for the same numbers so on so forth

unless you have some magical version of pal or ntsc melee with new frame data then i would love to see that

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
game still looks and plays slower, you cant not notice it..
can't notice something that doesn't exist, where is your proof that the versions are different in speed?

you probably have it automatically setting itself to 50hz and you dont know how to change it

you can hold down (i think) start while the game is starting and it will let you select

i always hold down a and b as well just in case since ive never confirmed what is the correct button

also it needs to be first player too

you should be able to select between 50hz and 60hz then (60hz is the correct option btw)

Darkwing SykeDuk

Smash Dankist
actually you can do it with any player, holding down z also makes weird noises happen...

Play pal for an hour then switch to ntsc and tell me what happens.. until then stfu

why the **** are you talking about frames anyway.. it had nothing to do with the frames. THE SPEED OF THE GAME CHANGES!!!! jesus **** are you that ****ing ******** you cant read english >_> pal 60hz is a hybrid upscaling of 50hz to try and match ntsc, yet its still slower because its merely trying to emulate 60hz from 50hz ****ing ****.

for e.g I played PAL with jaz in sydney with others for several hours then switched to ntsc.. immediately jaz notes "ahmigod who is this beast??" after using Falcon for about 5 seconds. Now why on earth would he say that????? "I'll have to get used to the speed for a few matches".................. WHHHAAAAA?!?!?!?!?!!?

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
actually you can do it with any player, holding down z also makes weird noises happen...

Play pal for an hour then switch to ntsc and tell me what happens.. until then stfu
do that all the time at atticus's when we have meets at his, he has an ntsc gamecube with ntsc melee of course, and everyone else provides pal cubes

try again :/

Top Bottom