• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ultimate General Discussion Invitational

Should Ultomato be allowed to host tournaments?

• Yeah. He learned from his mistakes.

• Maybe... if he changes things, A LOT

• Maybe with some help next time?

• Oh dear god no!

Results are only viewable after voting.
D

Deleted member

Okay now I'm fixing a whole bunch o' problems all at once.

Just a penguin Just a penguin : The Winners of each pool would go to Winners brackets (4 players Total) while the nr. 2 and 3 would go to losers brackets (8 Total)

@Badrat : The rules aren't actually that different from normal rules, but because of the low and uneven ammount of players, more Awkward situations happen with the Total scores. If you have any suggestions on how to fix that without making this overly complex I'm all ears.

@Thesaurus30 : Tomorrow is Sunday right? Officially this whole thing would be Tomorrow because I didn't have too much time today but people played Pools today to avoid timezone issues.

I hope we can resolve everything and I definitely know what to do differently next time (if there is one)
It’s Sunday where I live. . .

D

Deleted member

Zinith Zinith , I see you are viewing this thread.
Reveal yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ultomato

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW 1995 0060 1138
It's morning in the Netherlands and I just got out of bed. That means from my perspective, it's the dawn of tournament day. (please don't go calculating my day-night rythm based on my posts in this thread, it's a mess).
Brackety stuff.png

With pools A and B efficiently out of the way early, this is what the brackets are looking like right now.

While the tournament officially doesn't start for another 6 hours, I'm awake and available to play poolmatches if pool C wants to get a headstart as well.

That being said, at the start of the tournament at 18:00 my time/12:00 EST, pool C (@Connorb0t2 , Noipoi Noipoi and me) and pool D (@Shishœ , @Taylor F and staindgrey staindgrey ) will be played unless they decide to play earlier in the day.

After that, brackets shall commence and eventually, a winner shall be crowned to the first General Discussion Invitational.
I wish you all a nice day, good sportsmanship and some fun matches.

D

Deleted member

It's morning in the Netherlands and I just got out of bed. That means from my perspective, it's the dawn of tournament day. (please don't go calculating my day-night rythm based on my posts in this thread, it's a mess).
View attachment 194321
With pools A and B efficiently out of the way early, this is what the brackets are looking like right now.

While the tournament officially doesn't start for another 6 hours, I'm awake and available to play poolmatches if pool C wants to get a headstart as well.

That being said, at the start of the tournament at 18:00 my time/12:00 EST, pool C (@Connorb0t2 , Noipoi Noipoi and me) and pool D (@Shishœ , @Taylor F and staindgrey staindgrey ) will be played unless they decide to play earlier in the day.

After that, brackets shall commence and eventually, a winner shall be crowned to the first General Discussion Invitational.
Thanks!
Tomorrow, I’ll be available to Smash when it’s around 6:30am where you are. . .

D

Deleted member

View attachment 194321

Change if plans. I may not be able to make it. Sorry.

D

Deleted member

I can't play today until late at night(about 8PM on GMT -3/BRT), my bad

Ultomato

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW 1995 0060 1138
I can't play today until late at night(about 8PM on GMT -3/BRT), my bad
I guess that's a bit late... (Midnight for me even)
Change if plans. I may not be able to make it. Sorry.
That's too bad. I guess that means staindgrey staindgrey wins pool D automatically, unless people are okay with delaying the whole tournament a few hours so Shishœ can play (which I'm fine with but I can Imagine it to be troublesome for the rest)

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
I have no problem waiting since I won't be around until 9:30/10pm GMT anyway, and I'm lined up to play the winner of that pool so even if it gets done earlier, they'd be waiting around for me too.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I guess that's a bit late... (Midnight for me even)

That's too bad. I guess that means staindgrey staindgrey wins pool D automatically, unless people are okay with delaying the whole tournament a few hours so Shishœ can play (which I'm fine with but I can Imagine it to be troublesome for the rest)
Nah, I can wait. I actually have to write a script right now because my brother put it off too long and couldn't take off work today. Then we're having company tonight so I'm not even sure I'll have time in between the two. All depends on how quickly I can pull a script out of my *** on cue.

Just a penguin

Smash Master
View attachment 194321

Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst. What do you plan to do if another rock-paper-scissors scenario occurs in pool C or D?

Ultomato

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW 1995 0060 1138
Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst. What do you plan to do if another rock-paper-scissors scenario occurs in pool C or D?
Probably something similar to what I did before, but I doubt it'll come to that. @Taylor F said he couldn't make it and Noipoi Noipoi doesn't seem to be around either, so Both C and D are effectively 2-man Pools right now.

For any future tourney, Pools Will all be 4 or more

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
I think a 3-player pool could work, but you'd probably need each player to play each other twice so that you can get the best idea of each player's strength relative to each other, and also have an agreed-upon system in place before it starts for what happens if there's a draw.

Though in general I'm not sure pools work for a small tournament like this anyway. It works better if you have a bigger tournament, with a lot of players to sort through in a short space of time.

Last edited:

Ultomato

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW 1995 0060 1138
I think a 3-player pool could work, but you'd probably need each player to play each other twice so that you can get the best idea of each player's strength relative to each other, and also have an agreed-upon system in place before it starts for what happens if there's a draw.

Though in general I'm not sure pools work for a small tournament like this anyway. It works better if you have a bigger tournament, with a lot of players to sort through in a short space of time.
I know pools aren't ideal, but brackets only work with 2-4-8-16-32 etc...

Ultomato

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW 1995 0060 1138
You could randomly pick players to advance without fighting to the next round, or if you’re feeling tyrannical, automatically advance yourself.
I guess I Just really wanted it to be "fair" but it only made things harder

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
I know pools aren't ideal, but brackets only work with 2-4-8-16-32 etc...
They can work with an odd number of players, you just end up with a few people who get a bye into the second round. Just seed people randomly if you want it to be "fair" (if these become a regular thing, you could then start seeding people based on strength). It's still not ideal, but nothing is going to be perfect if you don't have exactly 8/16/32/etc players.

Ultomato

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW 1995 0060 1138
They can work with an odd number of players, you just end up with a few people who get a bye into the second round. Just seed people randomly if you want it to be "fair" (if these become a regular thing, you could then start seeding people based on strength). It's still not ideal, but nothing is going to be perfect if you don't have exactly 8/16/32/etc players.
Yeah, I actually want to try this again with better preparation, so the feedback is great, thanks

D

Deleted member

Okay, Ultomato Ultomato .
I’ll probably be available to play at 4pm and later where I am, which is 6:30am CEST ( what I assume to be your timezone).

Ultomato

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW 1995 0060 1138
I'm assuming pool C is done as is.
Pool D would play later tonight because Shoshœ was delayed

D

Deleted member

I can only play today for 3 hours so can we hurry this up plz or let us finish on Monday or next weekend?

Ultomato

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW 1995 0060 1138
Okay, Ultomato Ultomato .
I’ll probably be available to play at 4pm and later where I am, which is 6:30am CEST ( what I assume to be your timezone).
I'm GMT+1, so that'd be 5:30...
I guess the rest of the tournament Will be Tomorrow morning from my perspective.
It sucks a bit that Noone was available to play when the tournament was actually sceduled.
Next time I'll be stricter with that.

Top Bottom