• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General anime thread/Anime (and manga) New OP,Edits Coming Soon!

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I want to skip to next month! Then there will be moar AOT, blue exorcist, and all my animes will have more episodes!

Can I build a time machine with 17 soul eater volumes, a lamp, a 3DS, Iphone, and a hamburger hat?
Do you watch anything else? I've only ever heard you mention like 5 series.

nessokman

Smash Lord
Do you watch anything else? I've only ever heard you mention like 5 series.
I usually only read/watch finished series. I really should get off my lazy butt and read hellsing. But ugghhh

BLUE EXORCIST <3333333333333
AOT <333333333333333333333
BE is probably my 3rd favorite series. Lol Rin naming his attacks.

I have 17 volumes of soul eater, I am so tempted to freaking read the rest online and buy it later, but I must fight the urge.

Last edited:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
That didn't answer my question.

Anime if the season indeed. Shiro's really funny.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
Watching a marathon of Welcome to the NHK felt great.
Same with TTGL and the two films. Not sure about Eden of The East though.

Yazoo

Smash Rookie
NNID
KYYazoo
3DS FC
4596-9950-4728
D'aww, I was hoping more people would share stories about how anime affected them.
for me, anime is probably the #1 reason I'm above-average at drawing and have a desire to improve more. it also in turn is what introduced me to my best friends, and my sense of style/fashion have definitely been influenced..

i also regularly open books from the wrong side

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Guys, I need help.

To Love-Ru is on sale (Blu-ray comes out from Sentai in March apparently) and I want it. But... It's To Love-Ru and it's 50 bucks :(

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Any qualms you had with me liking Watamote are now null and void. For shame, man.

Last edited:

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
To Love-Ru is an artistic deconstruction of the harem genre and features a cast full of deep character development, a plotline that penetrates deep into the soul, and sweet OPs.

/s

(It's my favorite harem anime [bar maybe TWGOK if we count it] and it's my guilty pleasure)

Last edited:

nessokman

Smash Lord
for me, anime is probably the #1 reason I'm above-average at drawing and have a desire to improve more. it also in turn is what introduced me to my best friends, and my sense of style/fashion have definitely been influenced..

i also regularly open books from the wrong side
My art is heavily influenced by series that I love. Soul Eater has influenced my art the most, but I want to test out drawing in a rougher, Attack On Titan style, while still using some of what Soul Eater has taught me. I might start drawing backgrounds out of Blue Exorcist until I can draw them well, because those backgrounds are awesome

nessokman

Smash Lord
I decided to finish reading soul eater online, I got impatient waiting for it to come out in America.ill still buy the volumes when they come out.

Spoilers for the manga ahead/
disappointing ending to one of my favorite series. 2 of the characters I really liked died.
shiningami and Crona

I get that it had to happen, but it feels disappointing. Everyone else got a happy ending! I felt like they had to make that happen, they made Asura too overpowered and had to have an asspull victory but whatever

I think I'm going to start back on bakuman

My manga that I'm going to start to replace fairy tail is called "the seven deadly sins" I saw one youtuber I watch reviewing it, it is currently running.i think I'll give it a try

Last edited:

nessokman

Smash Lord
You should give Spice and Wolf a read.
I should!

The seven deadly sins is fun
It's like-
One piece's off the wallsness
Soul eater's weirdness

Dear god, if and when there is an anime of this, my life will
Become 200% happier

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
If you do read Spice and Wolf, read the LNs, not the manga. I hear manga's good, but the LNs are the best out of the LNs, manga, and anime.

nessokman

Smash Lord
If you do read Spice and Wolf, read the LNs, not the manga. I hear manga's good, but the LNs are the best out of the LNs, manga, and anime.
Kk.
The seven deadly sins is hilarious. My only issue is that It has a little fanservice, but it's usually a joke after a battle. I can cope with this level of fanservice .

I am expecting an anime to come from this series. It should be able to easily surpass fairytail, given that they actually develop characters.

Last edited:

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Space Dandy's just alright to me. It's decent, but it's definitely not "anime is saved" status. It'll probably get a solid 7/10 in my book.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
Isn't that kill la kill which was known to save anime by couple of people, which then spreaded across the internet with agreement?

Space Dandy's a great show, and the episodes I've seen were very pretty to look at, like riding waves in space. I see a lot of good coming out of this show, except I'd prefer the subs a lot more than english dubs.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I agree that it's very pretty. However, it doesn't feel like it has much meat on the bone. The themes in the episodes are fairly obvious and shallow which in itself isn't THAT BAD, but it does keep it from being awesome in my book.

nessokman

Smash Lord
I give space dandy a 7.5/10
I thought how I would rate attack on titan.

Music 9/10
Animation 8/10
Characters 7/10
Story 8/10

Overall 8/10

I still gotta finish ōkami San

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I like Shingeki no Kyojin, but I think I should be fair with it. The music that I remember was good, but I also seem to recall a good amount of times where the music wasn't particularly memorable or atmospheric. I'm not saying they're bad, but it does detract from a score of 10. Animation I'd agree on with an 8. They do reuse some animations (Levi's spinning air slice, some titans) and some of the episodes and scenes show a clear sign of out-of-budget-syndrome. I don't know if that was actually the case, but it does suffer sometimes. 7 or 8 would be fair here.

I'd actually give characters as 6 maybe. Eren is a stupid ****** of a main character what with this being a shounen and all. Mikasa is extremely one-dimensional (given what we're presented. Saying "She's gonna be more important plot-wise later!" doesn't count yet). Armin is the deepest out of the trio. Annie was just as one-dimensional as Mikasa was. If I can give it something, it'd be that side characters are more important than the faceless drones that they usually are in other shows.

Story I'd give a 6 or 7. It was a super interesting concept until it turned from a survival/horror show into a standard shounen show.

Don't get me wrong, I love the show. I watched the anime 3 times and I'm keeping up with the manga and buying it in print as it comes out. I'm also totally buying the BD when it comes out. However, I don't feel uncomfortable accepting downsides and criticisms to shows I like.

I give Shingeki no Kyojin a "Pretty cool"/10

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Isn't that kill la kill which was known to save anime by couple of people, which then spreaded across the internet with agreement?
This sentence is a work of art, I'm still trying to make sense of it.

I was on board with Kill la Kill until post-Naturals Election and the introduction of Nui. It went from being a ton of fun to a load of ****. Some good mindless entertainment I suppose, but it's still a 3 at best on my scale. Sakura Trick is already in the process of saving anime and the most recent episode further proved that. Pool episodes are a godsend.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
IMO, I think Mikasa is the most developed character out of the trio. Maybe not the deepest, sure, but at least there's a cohesive reason why she is the way she is. I'm not quite on board with Armin being a very robust character, but he probably has the most potential for growth. I agree with you one hundred percent on Eren being an absolutely ******** protagonist.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

nessokman

Smash Lord
I like Shingeki no Kyojin, but I think I should be fair with it. The music that I remember was good, but I also seem to recall a good amount of times where the music wasn't particularly memorable or atmospheric. I'm not saying they're bad, but it does detract from a score of 10. Animation I'd agree on with an 8. They do reuse some animations (Levi's spinning air slice, some titans) and some of the episodes and scenes show a clear sign of out-of-budget-syndrome. I don't know if that was actually the case, but it does suffer sometimes. 7 or 8 would be fair here.

I'd actually give characters as 6 maybe. Eren is a stupid ****** of a main character what with this being a shounen and all. Mikasa is extremely one-dimensional (given what we're presented. Saying "She's gonna be more important plot-wise later!" doesn't count yet). Armin is the deepest out of the trio. Annie was just as one-dimensional as Mikasa was. If I can give it something, it'd be that side characters are more important than the faceless drones that they usually are in other shows.

Story I'd give a 6 or 7. It was a super interesting concept until it turned from a survival/horror show into a standard shounen show.

Don't get me wrong, I love the show. I watched the anime 3 times and I'm keeping up with the manga and buying it in print as it comes out. I'm also totally buying the BD when it comes out. However, I don't feel uncomfortable accepting downsides and criticisms to shows I like.

I give Shingeki no Kyojin a "Pretty cool"/10
Animation was awesome during fights, that's obviously where the budget went.

The music was great, I sometimes listen to the openings all the time on the bus to this day.

Mikasa is the most developed. They give reasons why she fights, her relationship with eren, her backstory.
Minor characters are most of what keeps me reading. Levi the badass, is my favorite for a reason.

Sasha and Connie are better developed than eren at this point, as they've both grown at least a little in the recent chapters.eren is a ******
Armin, as smooth said, has the most room for development.

I would like for two author to break up their trio and have them each train Individually in their own field.

Eren needs more 3D maneuver gear training so that he can fight without his titan form, or maybe have him work with Hanji and further work on his tran power.

Mikasa should train under levi in combat,she could learn some tricks from him.

Armin and pixis train in tactics

Ten let them come back together with Sasha and Connie, and have a new elite squad.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Animation was awesome during fights, that's obviously where the budget went.
And where's the budget when they're not fighting?

The music was great, I sometimes listen to the openings all the time on the bus to this day.
I love anime OPs as much as the next guy, but the OP and ED don't make the entire soundtrack good.

Mikasa is the most developed. They give reasons why she fights, her relationship with eren, her backstory.
Minor characters are most of what keeps me reading. Levi the badass, is my favorite for a reason.
Why does she fight? To protect Eren. Why does she like Eren so much? He became her new family. What's her backstory? Family dead so she's Eren's new family member. Not terribly deep.

Eren needs more 3D maneuver gear training so that he can fight without his titan form, or maybe have him work with Hanji and further work on his tran power.
Not gonna happen. That's like telling the guys in a mech show to use a rocket launcher instead of using their mechs to fight.

nessokman

Smash Lord
And where's the budget when they're not fighting?

I love anime OPs as much as the next guy, but the OP and ED don't make the entire soundtrack good.

Why does she fight? To protect Eren. Why does she like Eren so much? He became her new family. What's her backstory? Family dead so she's Eren's new family member. Not terribly deep.

Not gonna happen. That's like telling the guys in a mech show to use a rocket launcher instead of using their mechs to fight.
There isn't much of a budget for not fighting. They made the combat animations phenomenal.

The OPs are awesome, but the other soundtracks were fine. As a whole, they boost my rating for it.I'd rather have a few good pieces of less memorable music that work for their scene than a lot of music that doesn't fit well.

What's armin's? His only real family was sent out on that"mission" to reclaim wall Maria. Eren is all he has left, same as Mikasa. At least Mikasa has a real reason to stay by eren, being that he saved her and then lived with his family.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
There isn't much of a budget for not fighting. They made the combat animations phenomenal.

The OPs are awesome, but the other soundtracks were fine. As a whole, they boost my rating for it.I'd rather have a few good pieces of less memorable music that work for their scene than a lot of music that doesn't fit well.

What's armin's? His only real family was sent out on that"mission" to reclaim wall Maria. Eren is all he has left, same as Mikasa. At least Mikasa has a real reason to stay by eren, being that he saved her and then lived with his family.
You should know as much as I do that fighting isn't all that happens in SnK.

As for the music, like I said before, it's not that bad. I just don't think it's phenomenal. It's great when it's good and it's forgettable when it's not.

At least Armin goes through some character development in the show. He starts off as the timid "I'm just holding you all back!" character and he learns that he has a strength (his mind) that's just as valuable as anyone else's strengths and he goes on to be an effective leader and tactician. In my books, that's deeper than Eren or Mikasa.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
Berserk is really good, guys.

Read it. It's gushworthy.
I think I've read up to the point where:

Griffith reincarnates into the world after that whole pseudo-Eclipse ritual.

It's a pretty long series, and I still have quite the way to go. And I hear that the author is going to get back into continuing the series. But indeed, Berserk is most excellent.

I've also seen the recent movie trilogy in which they adapt the Golden Age arc. I though that was pretty cool.

As for AOT, I really dug the art style (and the animation, more often than not). And I enjoy a lot of the OST. As for my thoughts on the quality of the series, I find that I approach stories rather differently than the norm, so it's hard to formalize any concrete opinions on the matter. I do enjoy the series, though.

What kind of manga is it?
It's a very dark Seinen manga, with a medieval-esque setting. It concerns the trials and tribulations of a man named Guts, also known as the Black Swordsman; wielding an enormous sword, he travels the land on a quest to slay powerful demons as evil spirits and other ghoulies constantly assail him.

Very gritty and dark (gore, disturbing imagery, periodic nudity, grim atmosphere, etc.), with splendid artwork. Worth a shot, if you're into that sort of thing.

Last edited:

nessokman

Smash Lord
You should know as much as I do that fighting isn't all that happens in SnK.

As for the music, like I said before, it's not that bad. I just don't think it's phenomenal. It's great when it's good and it's forgettable when it's not.

At least Armin goes through some character development in the show. He starts off as the timid "I'm just holding you all back!" character and he learns that he has a strength (his mind) that's just as valuable as anyone else's strengths and he goes on to be an effective leader and tactician. In my books, that's deeper than Eren or Mikasa.
the budget went mostly to the fight scenes, that much is obvious. It explains why the non-fight scenes are sometimes lackluster on animation

Eren has gone from only caring about his personal grudge against fans to caring about all his teammates. He turned back to try and save his survey corps squad.during the first battle of trost, he abandons his squad to avenge Thomas and gets his squad killed.(they tried to catch up and save him)

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
the budget went mostly to the fight scenes, that much is obvious. It explains why the non-fight scenes are sometimes lackluster on animation
Which is exactly what I've been saying

Eren has gone from only caring about his personal grudge against fans to caring about all his teammates. He turned back to try and save his survey corps squad.during the first battle of trost, he abandons his squad to avenge Thomas and gets his squad killed.(they tried to catch up and save him)
That's still not a terribly compelling personality. That's a fairly one-dimensional personality just like his previous one.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I read a bit of Berserk a few weeks back and forgot Shingeki even existed after that.

Top Bottom