• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General anime thread/Anime (and manga) New OP,Edits Coming Soon!

asianaussie

Smash Hero
i was hooked on bakuman to the very end

you people have the attention spans of overprivileged highschoolers

oh wait

edit: did he just imply reading 110 chapters of a weekly takes longer than two seasons of anime?

what

Last edited:

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Black Butler is only good if you're a 13 year old girl.

nessokman

Smash Lord
That is one awesome list u got there :3 ( You might wanna watch Kuro****suji first, because reasons)
I've never watched Lupin yet, but I might give it a try.

Oh yea man I read it, and I have to say im truly disappointed. And how anyone can watch Bakuman........ I dont even know lol
I am 99.99% sure you are confusing bakuMAN with bakuGAN... Bakugan is a crappy kids anime with nothing going for it except trying to leach fans from other series.

Bakuman is about writing mangas, it's really in depth on how it works.
i was hooked on bakuman to the very end

you people have the attention spans of overprivileged highschoolers

oh wait

edit: did he just imply reading 110 chapters of a weekly takes longer than two seasons of anime?

what
bakuman is good, but it's feeling repeatative. It takes longer for me to read it than to watch, yes. I'm the weird one.

I have to implement my 10 chapter rule, if bakuman doesn't get my interest back in 10 chapters,I drop it.

And watching bakuman doesn't feel the same as reading it. An anime about a writing manga is eh.

Last edited:

PillsBuryDopeBoy

Führer President King DopeLord The VI
3DS FC
3325-3900-7222
I am 99.99% sure you are confusing bakuMAN with bakuGAN... Bakugan is a crappy kids anime with nothing going for it except trying to leach fans from other series.

Bakuman is about writing mangas, it's really in depth on how it works.

I have to implement my 10 chapter rule, if bakuman doesn't get my interest back in 10 chapter I drop it.

And watching bakuman doesn't feel the same as reading it. An anime about a writing manga is eh.

Hold onto that .1 percent bro. I can see why people like Bakuman, however no matter how much I try, I just can't like it :x
I must be a 13 year old girl then (lol)

nessokman

Smash Lord

Hold onto that .1 percent bro. I can see why people like Bakuman, however no matter how much I try, I just can't like it :x

I must be a 13 year old girl then (lol)
How can we watch it? We don't, we read it. It gives good insight to the hard work these mangakas do to stay serialized. Plus I like learning how jumps system works.

nessokman

Smash Lord
afaik that's not actually how jump rankings work
We're just the readers, we have no idea what they do, hence the series. I think that it is how series are chosen and how they are removed. Readers do vote on their favorites.

I see no reason to not believe it, but I do consider it to be something to keep an open mind on, as we don't really know.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
but see, there are actually information sources that aren't bakuman

from what i hear, the way they actually do it involves tallying reader votes, then leaving the head editor to decide on a ranking by quality (taking the votes into account to some degree)

nessokman

Smash Lord
but see, there are actually information sources that aren't bakuman

from what i hear, the way they actually do it involves tallying reader votes, then leaving the head editor to decide on a ranking by quality (taking the votes into account to some degree)
I was just considering that being a manga about writing manga, it's selling point is giving info on the inner workings of how it is written. It'll it were a large lie, it would have been fully exposed and not as popular as it has been.

Obviously if a series gets a huge portion of the votes, it won't be axed.

They say In bakuman all the time that editor in chief has the final decision on almost everything. I guess bakuman's info is a little off in some ways, but for the most part it's good.

Last edited:

asianaussie

Smash Hero
im pretty sure nobody actually cares about how true or realistic something is when it's in relation to something that isn't widely established to begin with

if you want you can plug your ears and go lalala and pretend that it illustrates exactly how jump's inner workings are

nessokman

Smash Lord
im pretty sure nobody actually cares about how true or realistic something is when it's in relation to something that isn't widely established to begin with

if you want you can plug your ears and go lalala and pretend that it illustrates exactly how jump's inner workings are
Nah, going lalala never works. My brain knowing any info is fake will sit and boil and contemplate it.

I am somewhat invested in the love story here as well, even if I know how it ends. Their current editor and his obsession with gag manga makes me want to shove a katana through my heart...

Last edited:

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
"Suspension of disbelief." It's a neat concept. You should try it.

Next thing you know this kid'll believe every bit of "bad science" in JoJo's is actually accurate.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

nessokman

Smash Lord
True, true.

That series is only for the most stout-hearted people, not simpering fops.

Smooth Criminal
Almost feels as if you are trying to use reverse psychology to get me to read it, and I have no interest in it.

Don't think it's the kind of thing I'd enjoy.

Last edited:

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
I will read Toriko instead of FairyTail. I can't take the @$$pulls from FT anymore. The members of FairyTail CLEARLY should have died. Cana just so happened to have enough time to use a spell she's never been seen using before to put everyone into cards. I call BS! This is why I like series like AoT, where plot armor is almost nonexistent.
AoT does have plenty of plot armor, it's just not on the human's side.

"Hi, I can freeze parts of my body so you can't cut me, Hahaha, silly humans!" :/

If you want to see a series that isn't afraid to kill off character(and it tends to be meaningful, which is pretty rare in Shonens) you really should check out Jojo's Bizarre Adventure.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul

This guy stole my heart away (Inu x Boku SS) and while I'm not looking for a romance particularly, and while I've only seen this kinda thing once, I like the whole caring butler kinda thing which is at least partially the impression I got from Black Butler.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I guess you can see the good where I can't. Good on ya, guess it's just not the series for me.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light

"Hi, I can freeze parts of my body so you can't cut me, Hahaha, silly humans!" :/

If you want to see a series that isn't afraid to kill off character(and it tends to be meaningful, which is pretty rare in Shonens) you really should check out Jojo's Bizarre Adventure.
To be fair, JoJo's enables the longevity of its protagonists with similar shenanigans ("oh I just happened to avoid the brunt of this Stand user's power!"). Still, I can forgive it. The whole nature of the franchise is to be whacked-out and over-the-top. The justifications for it, to me, are all part of the JoJo's experience. And AoT's plot armor I can forgive for the most part, because it doesn't feel completely random (except for Eren's sudden power-up, but that's mostly because I was hoping this was going to be a more horror-oriented series). Naruto and Bleach, on the other hand...

I guess what I'm trying to get at here is not all plot armor is terribad. It's a matter of how it's executed.

You're right, though. JoJo's tends to kill off characters in a pretty meaningful way. All I gotta say is

Lesson 5 of Steel Ball Run.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
To be fair, JoJo's enables the longevity of its protagonists with similar shenanigans ("oh I just happened to avoid the brunt of this Stand user's power!"). Still, I can forgive it. The whole nature of the franchise is to be whacked-out and over-the-top. The justifications for it, to me, are all part of the JoJo's experience. And AoT's plot armor I can forgive for the most part, because it doesn't feel completely random (except for Eren's sudden power-up, but that's mostly because I was hoping this was going to be a more horror-oriented series). Naruto and Bleach, on the other hand...

I guess what I'm trying to get at here is not all plot armor is terribad. It's a matter of how it's executed.

You're right, though. JoJo's tends to kill off characters in a pretty meaningful way. All I gotta say is

Lesson 5 of Steel Ball Run.

Smooth Criminal
Yeah, JoJo's does let characters live through things because of luck a lot. I just wanted to make the point that no one is safe in it, that kind of uncertainty keeps things interesting even when a character barely makes it through a fight by chance.

The Titans in AoT kind of bugs me, I get that the author wanted them to be near unstoppable, but I feel they were made too strong. As the series went on I found large sections where I started to get bored thinking "Okay, when does everything fall apart and how many of these characters that I met recently will die?" The biggest surprises in AoT for me were always when a human(who isn't one of the main three) managed to escape from certain death.
So the plot armor I was talking about in AoT is mostly stuff that is established beforehand for so the Titans wouldn't be at a massive disadvantage, which is far better than the asspulls some shonens have.

It's not necessarily a bad thing, AoT is still interesting in its own way, but it did hurt my enjoyment of the series a little bit. I feel the loses would have had a larger impact if there were a few more victories here and there is all. :/

Last edited:

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Has an anime/manga ever made a long-term change on you? By that, I mean a new philosophy in life, wardrobe change, new lingo, friends/acquaintances, or whatever? I just got kinda curious myself since I've had that happen to me.

I've worn this drill necklace from TTGL for the past at least year now. It's not that I like TTGL (which I do like it quite a bit), but I just like the message and what it stands for. When most people ask me, I'll just say something goofy like "It's my soul!", but in actuality what it stands for to me is progress, not being held back when you want to do something you believe in. I'm a procrastinator to the max and I still am, but this thing has given me the kick I needed in certain situations and I believe it helps me more socially than academically. Up until a couple years ago, I didn't really talk to anybody unwarranted and while I can improve a ton, I'd say I'm insanely more sociable now than I used to be.

Spice and Wolf has an interesting impact on me. Spice and Wolf, along with TF2 a bit, has turned my video game ideas as of late to be more economic in nature. I used to think of adventures and more Zelda-ish stuff, but nowadays a lot of my ideas involve money and an economy being vitally important to the game. The idea of a traveling merchant and stuff being worth different in different locations is such a cool idea.

I've mentioned a few times that I have an anime buddy. He's an Italian dude I met in my philosophy class about 3 years ago and we went on to watch stuff like Cowboy Bebop, Another, Tsuritama, Mirai Nikki, Death Note, Baccano, Darker than Black, Evangelion, Summer Wars, Paprika, Trigun, etc. Aside from watching good anime, I got another really good friend and that's pretty swell. A bit funnier, since he's Italian, I tend to use bad accents when joking around which fluctuate between Boston and Brooklyn accents and I now flow in and out of my bad accents nearly seamlessly.

Watching Tsuritama inspired me to finally learn to whistle and I'm pretty damn good at it now. I whistle nearly everywhere I go now. I whistle while walking to class, I whistle when at home, and I whistle while at work.

I got some great memories. I don't know how memories and stuff work for other people, but I remember stuff not by visuals but by smells, sounds, and sensation mostly. If you ask me about something I did on X day, I'm not remembering **** unless I smelled or heard something interesting or unique. With anime, certain shows or manga really define certain eras in my recent life. I have certain anime that define Spring for me to the point of intense nostalgia whenever I listen to a song from it (To Love Ru, Tsuritama, Bakuman [I don't even LIKE Bakuman]). Winter's a bit left out since most of my marathoning happens in Spring and Summer since that's when I have the most free time, but I cherish those memories very much.

Yowamushi Pedal is THIS close from basically convincing me to go out, buy a bicycle, and become an amateur street cyclist.

No particular reason for posting this, but I like brain dumping when stuff pops in my head.

nessokman

Smash Lord

I said almost nonexistent. And to be fair,all bad guys usually have some kind of buff to make them unstoppable. As you said, titans are pre established to be near unstoppable. In my own personal opinion, titans stopped being threatening half way through. The special titans were introduced for that reason. Even with her hardening, the female titan was shredded by levi.

Only special titans can harden their body, other powers are the colossus' steam, armored titan's armor, and eren's powe shown later.

Last edited:

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Only special titans can harden their body
[citation needed]

Don't get me started on SnK stuff, I took NOTES on the show when it was airing and made regular threads going over stuff.

Also, titans aren't as threatening because SnK isn't a horror manga; it's a shounen manga.

Last edited:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Awesome stuff, GwJ. Thanks for sharing, that's pretty cool. I always thought Simon's drill would be a pretty cool piece of merch to have.

I'm a bit new to the world of animu and manga, but Koe no Katachi inspired me to learn sign language. I'm not very good, but I know a few words. As corny as it may sound, I also learned to appreciate my friends a lot more. I was an otherwise cynical person, but a lot of the generic moeblob shows that I've seen have had some admirable characters, my personal favorite being Akari Akaza. I tried to model my behavior around her positive outlook on life. And regretfully, I started saying "platinum mad" thanks to Monogatari.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
For me, Clannad and TTGL together effectively staved off depression. Good feels are good.

I say a lot of weeaboo **** as a joke but I don't think I picked up any other overly strange mannerisms. Sometimes I say a long, droning 'hai' as an expression of assent though.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Also, titans aren't as threatening because SnK isn't a horror manga; it's a shounen manga.
Which is precisely why my interest in the series waned a bit once I realized that. Kinda lame when

everybody's a ****ing Titan.

And HEAVEN FORBID that the author can't explore why exactly Eren is unhinged (re: borderline psychotic). I mean, equating murder of "bad people" to "taking out the trash?" Wtf. Why does Mikasa get that sort of development?

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
For me, Clannad and TTGL together effectively staved off depression. Good feels are good.

I say a lot of weeaboo **** as a joke but I don't think I picked up any other overly strange mannerisms. Sometimes I say a long, droning 'hai' as an expression of assent though.
I feel you on that. Kotomi always makes me smile.

I've occasionally said "ohayou" as a greeting, but that's about it.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
dere thread is supposed to pander to anime fanatics while this was meant to suggest series that arent typical moe****/shounen trash

until a highschooler decided his tastes and fanboyism needed more visibility and snatched the thread

nessokman

Smash Lord
[citation needed]

Don't get me started on SnK stuff, I took NOTES on the show when it was airing and made regular threads going over stuff.

The only titan in the entire series to harden their body is annie, colossus can use hot steam, armored titan is impenetrable. I'm currently caught up on the manga. And the titans were threatening when they were crushing everyone who got close (See:Trost) now it seems regular titans are just quick, easy kills. Titan shifters were introduced as a second antagonistic force, they have special abilities, thus making them extremely hard to fight. (Levi tore the female apart)

I would like to see more abnormals, as they are random, thus making them harder to kill. There hasn't been that many of them through the series.
dere thread is supposed to pander to anime fanatics while this was meant to suggest series that arent typical moe****/shounen trash

until a highschooler decided his tastes and fanboyism needed more visibility and snatched the thread
*facepalm* Be a blatant prick, I was going to fix up the OP and have it transferred to someone else who can keep updating it more. Guess not, I'm putting you on my ignore.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
i formally hold out the duty of calling this kid out to whomever wishes to take it

you started it by openly being an ass about one piece, i was happy to drop the issue and stated so repeatedly but NOOOOOOOOO

PillsBuryDopeBoy

3DS FC
3325-3900-7222

Clannad tore my heart straight from my chest ....... :(:(
When I was going through my bleach phase i'd go outside wearing a long black robe, while wearing sock+waraji's

nessokman

Smash Lord
Clannad tore my heart straight from my chest ....... :(:(
When I was going through my bleach phase i'd go outside wearing a long black robe, while wearing sock+waraji's
i formally hold out the duty of calling this kid out to whomever wishes to take it
I never had a bleach/naruto/OP phase. I might eventually go and read it. I feel pretty sad knowing it will end this year, and apparently bleach is getting near it's conclusion as well.
you started it by openly being an *** about one piece, i was happy to drop the issue and stated so repeatedly but NOOOOOOOOO
I have moved on, so why can't you?Exactly.

On another note, I think I am just on overload from reading too much Bakuman, I will put it on hold and come back later to it.

Hello, Hellsing, you don't know me, but I'm going to read you all night.

PillsBuryDopeBoy

3DS FC
3325-3900-7222
I have moved on, so why can't you?Exactly.

On another note, I think I am just on overload from reading too much Bakuman, I will put it on hold and come back later to it.

Hello, Hellsing, you don't know me, but I'm going to read you all night.
Er...... why was I quoted?

Top Bottom