• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General anime thread/Anime (and manga) New OP,Edits Coming Soon!

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I hate waiting for new chapters of my manga.. Blue exorcist and Shingeki should have new chapters this weekend.(I think)

Getting back into bakuman. Might start psycho pass
Read more manga.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
Requires a lot of effort! Anyone seen psycho pass?
I've watched Psycho-Pass. As a sci-fi enthusiast, I enjoyed it greatly. It also looked nice and had a solid soundtrack, as I recall.

I'd tentatively consider myself somewhere between a casual and intermediate anime enthusiast (and a total manga novice, if even that), so take my opinion with that in mind.

I also remember hearing something about a second season for Psycho-Pass and/or a feature-length film being in production. If/when such a thing comes out, I'll be sure to check it out. :)

Xyzz

Smash Champion
Quite a few actually, 'Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan' having the dubious honor of being the least enjoyable one I've touched.

If you're actually curious, you know where to find my MAL profile. There's about 40 that I have no intention of ever finishing (some because I just happened to watch the movie covering the same story instead or whatever, but most of the time the reason would simply be that I didn't like them). Plus I am just not actively setting out to try and find stuff that I am probably not going to enjoy (e.g. the chance that I would actually enjoy Dragonball or sth is so small, that I am not going to waste my time on that).

Last edited:

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Oh man Dokuro-chan was an odd show. I think the only reason I finished it was because it was 6 episodes combined for both "seasons" of the show. It had the goofy shock-factor for all of 3 minutes before it got old, BUT I did love the antics with that blonde haired angel girl thing.

I want something unique to watch/read now. I see psycho-pass mentioned all the time (although I think by ness each time possibly) in other places as well and shows like Steins;Gate and whatever, but I want something more unusual.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Oh man Dokuro-chan was an odd show. I think the only reason I finished it was because it was 6 episodes combined for both "seasons" of the show. It had the goofy shock-factor for all of 3 minutes before it got old, BUT I did love the antics with that blonde haired angel girl thing.

I want something unique to watch/read now. I see psycho-pass mentioned all the time (although I think by ness each time possibly) in other places as well and shows like Steins;Gate and whatever, but I want something more unusual.
Try Kuuchuu Buranko, it's pretty unusual.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
I also remember hearing something about a second season for Psycho-Pass and/or a feature-length film being in production. If/when such a thing comes out, I'll be sure to check it out. :)
Both are confirmed and currently in production. Release will be somewhere around this year or 2015.

Another thing.

Wikipedia said:
Production I.G's Katsuyuki Motohiro was amazed by [Madoka Magica], believing it exceeded Neon Genesis Evangelion and was later motivated to request Urobuchi to write the crime thriller Psycho-Pass.

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I'm currently watching Death Note. I'm liking it quite a lot.

As for manga I'm currently keeping up with: Fairy Tail, Attack on Titan, Attack on Titan: Before the Fall, Assassination Classroom and Blue Exorcist.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Both are confirmed and currently in production. Release will be somewhere around this year or 2015.

Another thing.
FernJay? Bring back TokyoGamer7.

Oh and Madoka master race reporting in.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
It's been a while since I posted in this thread. Perhaps I should update you on what anime I've been checking out.

Mirrai Nikki: If a bit late for the anime season, this title has piqued my curiosity for quite a while. I just love battle-to-the-death type shows. As with many others, this one is more psychological and gambit, which ultimately makes it more exciting to watch. Yuno does stand out as the best of the characters though, with her cute, innocent nature on one side and her murderous devotion to Yuuki on the other. Sometimes I can't help but feel gushy with how sweet of a girlfriend she is, which only makes her creepier. Although I can see why the ***** protagonist being Yuuki can ruin the show for some, I don't really mind him. As socially awkward, frail, and at the mercy of the setting he is, I can honestly relate to him with how his lifestyle is. Yes, lynch me for that one, but I'll see how he develops before final verdict.

Attack on Titan & Sword Art Online: While I've finished both series and thought different things apart from each other, I'm repeating them because my stepbrother has been wacthing the former while my brother has finally warmed up to anime with the latter. I began watching Attack on Titan with my stepbrother for the first couple of episodes, but he's been hooked as I was that he's now independently watching it. Now, if only I got off my keister and began the manga after the anime's ending. My brother has either been ignorant towards anime or was interested in certain animes but didn't have time to devote to them. He does mention liking Naruto back in the day (an anime which I credit for getting me back into the medium) until I chastised it. My brother heard of SAO through some text conversations with his online friend while I spoke to him as a surrogate as my brother just text my thoughts back to him. With the setting of a virtual reality MMO and its societal implications when all goes wrong, the setting appeals to him naturally and he finished it within two days. It's actually quite entertaining early on and during the action segments, but it really did fall flat with characterization and writing, especially by the second arc. Nonetheless, it's great to watch anime with other people.

I have been interested in another anime just by hearing some things about the plot. That anime is Eden of the East. Has anyone else seen it and have some thoughts to share? Oh, and I'll probably watch the first of those Madoka Magica movies sometime soon. Madoka Magica was such a brilliant anime and I can't wait to see how the story picks up from Homura.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
New username's based on my actual name, so no.

And so much yes on Mirai Nikki. That is a series I can read all over again.

Last edited:

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
It's been a while since I posted in this thread. Perhaps I should update you on what anime I've been checking out.

Mirrai Nikki: If a bit late for the anime season, this title has piqued my curiosity for quite a while. I just love battle-to-the-death type shows. As with many others, this one is more psychological and gambit, which ultimately makes it more exciting to watch. Yuno does stand out as the best of the characters though, with her cute, innocent nature on one side and her murderous devotion to Yuuki on the other. Sometimes I can't help but feel gushy with how sweet of a girlfriend she is, which only makes her creepier. Although I can see why the ***** protagonist being Yuuki can ruin the show for some, I don't really mind him. As socially awkward, frail, and at the mercy of the setting he is, I can honestly relate to him with how his lifestyle is. Yes, lynch me for that one, but I'll see how he develops before final verdict.

Attack on Titan & Sword Art Online: While I've finished both series and thought different things apart from each other, I'm repeating them because my stepbrother has been wacthing the former while my brother has finally warmed up to anime with the latter. I began watching Attack on Titan with my stepbrother for the first couple of episodes, but he's been hooked as I was that he's now independently watching it. Now, if only I got off my keister and began the manga after the anime's ending. My brother has either been ignorant towards anime or was interested in certain animes but didn't have time to devote to them. He does mention liking Naruto back in the day (an anime which I credit for getting me back into the medium) until I chastised it. My brother heard of SAO through some text conversations with his online friend while I spoke to him as a surrogate as my brother just text my thoughts back to him. With the setting of a virtual reality MMO and its societal implications when all goes wrong, the setting appeals to him naturally and he finished it within two days. It's actually quite entertaining early on and during the action segments, but it really did fall flat with characterization and writing, especially by the second arc. Nonetheless, it's great to watch anime with other people.

I have been interested in another anime just by hearing some things about the plot. That anime is Eden of the East. Has anyone else seen it and have some thoughts to share? Oh, and I'll probably watch the first of those Madoka Magica movies sometime soon. Madoka Magica was such a brilliant anime and I can't wait to see how the story picks up from Homura.
Everyone watches the same shows :(

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Ain't that the truth. I suggested something different, but you kind of ignored me, haha. The Tatami Galaxy anyone?

I like to think we've beaten Sword Art and Shingeki to death in this thread. Regarding Mirai Nikki, I think it's a piece of ****. It came off as incredibly juvenile which is fine because it knows its target audience. I've rewatched it twice and my opinion of it was greatly lowered every time, it's sitting at a 2 on my scale. It has quite possibly the worst supporting characters I've ever seen and a godawful ending. And no, the OVA didn't help.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
That's because there's nothing else worth watching. >8D

But less facetiously, it's also because I'm an anime/manga noob.

Actually, if the more cultured folks around here are inclined, I'd welcome recommendations. I dug up my first post in this thread in which I list the series I've seen thus far that I most enjoyed (though I have seen more):

Neat, an anime/manga thread.

I'm probably an intermediate-level anime fan. There's just so much out there. Of all the series I've seen, however, I'd place the following in my Top 10 (in order of alphabet, and not necessarily of preference):

-Attack on Titan (I'm current on both the anime and manga)
-Basilisk
-Code Geass
-Cowboy Bebop
-Death Note
-Ergo Proxy
-FMA Brotherhood
-Monster
-Psycho-Pass
-Samurai Champloo

Right now, I'm following Kill La Kill, which is greatly entertaining (and I've seen TTGL, which was also pretty sweet). I also tried Space Dandy, which was fairly absurd. I don't know if I even like it or not yet. :p

Also, I already plan on checking out Evangelion, Ghost in the Shell, and Hellsing (but thoughts on these series would be appreciated nonetheless).

So going by the above list, anything out there that might be up my alley?

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Actually, if the more cultured folks around here are inclined, I'd welcome recommendations.
I'd suggest Shinsekai yori, it's a somewhat recent psychological show about an essentially post-apocalyptic world where society has "advanced" and people develop psychic powers. It follows a group of kids as they grow up and discover the dark secrets of their village. I went into it not expecting much and it ended up being a really gripping series that covered some rather dark themes.

Some unconventional shows I'm more hesitant to recommend to most people would be Jinrui wa Suitai Shima****a and Bakemonogatari. The former makes some clever, satirical social commentary in a future where humans are no longer the dominant species. It's basically episodic, the show is divided up into 2 episode arcs with the exception of two stand alone stories. The Monogatari series is heavily dialogue based and hard to put into just one or two genres. It has elements of comedy, drama, mystery, and supernatural.

As you can probably tell, I'm not all that big on action series like the ones you listed, but my very favorite is probably Hunter x Hunter (2011). If you don't mind playing catch up with the ~119 episodes and counting, it's well worth it.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
I'd suggest Shinsekai yori, it's a somewhat recent psychological show about an essentially post-apocalyptic world where society has "advanced" and people develop psychic powers. It follows a group of kids as they grow up and discover the dark secrets of their village. I went into it not expecting much and it ended up being a really gripping series that covered some rather dark themes.

Some unconventional shows I'm more hesitant to recommend to most people would be Jinrui wa Suitai Shima****a and Bakemonogatari. The former makes some clever, satirical social commentary in a future where humans are no longer the dominant species. It's basically episodic, the show is divided up into 2 episode arcs with the exception of two stand alone stories. The Monogatari series is heavily dialogue based and hard to put into just one or two genres. It has elements of comedy, drama, mystery, and supernatural.

As you can probably tell, I'm not all that big on action series like the ones you listed, but my very favorite is probably Hunter x Hunter (2011). If you don't mind playing catch up with the ~119 episodes and counting, it's well worth it.
I tend to gravitate toward dark/moody/melancholic material with a stronger psychological and/or action bent; it informs my taste in movies and television to an extent as well.

In any case, thanks for the prompt reply. I'm certainly not opposed to venturing into uncharted horizons, so unconventional and/or obscure shows are more than fine. I will be sure to look into your suggestions.

I of course have heard of HH; it seems like one more Shonen Battle series. But I also have read that it's slightly more psychological than its peers. That there are 120+ episodes is not really daunting; it only means I don't have to wait between episodes. :p

Thanks for your informative response. :)

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I tend to gravitate toward dark/moody/melancholic material with a stronger psychological and/or action bent; it informs my taste in movies and television to an extent as well.

In any case, thanks for the prompt reply. I'm certainly not opposed to venturing into uncharted horizons, so unconventional and/or obscure shows are more than fine. I will be sure to look into your suggestions.

I of course have heard of HH; it seems like one more Shonen Battle series. But I also have read that it's slightly more psychological than its peers. That there are 120+ episodes is not really daunting; it only means I don't have to wait between episodes. :p

Thanks for your informative response. :)
That's good to hear, Shinsekai yori focuses a lot on world building and setting the mood. If you have patience, it's a fantastic series. The middle portion of the show moves at a snail's pace, but it has one of the better conclusions I've had the pleasure of seeing.

No problem, I'd love to hear your thoughts if you ultimately decide to try anything I've listed. Uncharted territory for you would be the wonderful world of moe, haha. I initially only watched edgy action stuff, but gravitated more toward slice of life for my anime. Manga just does a better job of getting a story across I guess.

I thought the same. The picture alone made it look very childish and the premise seemed as generic as they come. I saw it was ranked like 17 on MAL and after a ton of pressure from my friends, I ended up giving it a shot and couldn't be more pleased with the results. It breaks the mold of traditional shounen and hooked me right from the start. It focuses more on tactics and strategy. The fights are really creative when they do happen and the plot is actually really engaging. I have ridiculous standards too so that's really saying something.

You're quite welcome!

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
That's good to hear, Shinsekai yori focuses a lot on world building and setting the mood. If you have patience, it's a fantastic series. The middle portion of the show moves at a snail's pace, but it has one of the better conclusions I've had the pleasure of seeing.

No problem, I'd love to hear your thoughts if you ultimately decide to try anything I've listed. Uncharted territory for you would be the wonderful world of moe, haha. I initially only watched edgy action stuff, but gravitated more toward slice of life for my anime. Manga just does a better job of getting a story across I guess.

I thought the same. The picture alone made it look very childish and the premise seemed as generic as they come. I saw it was ranked like 17 on MAL and after a ton of pressure from my friends, I ended up giving it a shot and couldn't be more pleased with the results. It breaks the mold of traditional shounen and hooked me right from the start. It focuses more on tactics and strategy. The fights are really creative when they do happen and the plot is actually really engaging. I have ridiculous standards too so that's really saying something.

You're quite welcome!
Slice of Life isn't that appealing to me, alas. The closest I've had would probably be Clannad, Haibane Renmei, and Watamote. I stuck through Clannad because it's supposed to be a classic, and I watched Haibane because it's from the same folks who made Serial Experiments Lain (which I watched). I enjoyed them more or less, though it didn't quench my thirst, so to speak.

And I didn't finish Watamote. XD

I suppose that's the appeal of anime(/manga) in general; there's something for everyone. 8D

In any case, I'll relay my impressions in this thread, if/when I ever get around to your suggestions (it often takes me awhile to get around doing things, entertainment-wise). :)

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
It's cool, your develop a more refined taste over time. Cultured gentlemen watch Kiniro Mosaic, GJ-bu, and Non Non Biyori.

Best slice of life is still Lucky Star.
That's a funny way to spell Hidamari Sketch.

Xyzz

Smash Champion
Also, I already plan on checking out Evangelion, Ghost in the Shell, and Hellsing (but thoughts on these series would be appreciated nonetheless).
I'd recommend the Mardock scramble movies over Ghost in the Shell. Fairly similar, but I enjoyed the former a lot more.

well, and I can second the 'Shinsekai Yori' suggestion, another lovely dystopia that aired in 2013 ;)

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
I'd recommend the Mardock scramble movies over Ghost in the Shell. Fairly similar, but I enjoyed the former a lot more.

well, and I can second the 'Shinsekai Yori' suggestion, another lovely dystopia that aired in 2013 ;)
In such a case, perhaps I'll check out both. :)

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Oh yeah, watch Cromartie High. That's always one of the few staples I recommend to anyone. Thank me later.

nessokman

Smash Lord

If you liked SAO, watch "Log Horizon" It's the same concept, but the threat of death isn't as big, and it focuses on the MMO elements like classes and abilities. It's a pretty fun series to watch. Currently it is ongoing in the low 20's range.(ends at 25 methinks)

Attack on Titan's anime ends at around chapter 34 of the manga. there is a slight variation on how events happen in the anime, so 34 is the place to start.
I'm currently watching Death Note. I'm liking it quite a lot.

As for manga I'm currently keeping up with: Fairy Tail, Attack on Titan, Attack on Titan: Before the Fall, Assassination Classroom and Blue Exorcist.
I like this guy. If you like Fairy Tail, you might like "The Seven Deadly Sins", it's an interesting series that I've started. It runs weekly alongside FairyTail. The art is more light like FairyTail's. I'm on chapter 2, and I'm already loving this series.
Same for me, dark stuff is just more fun to watch and amuses me more.

Last edited:

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
Same for me, dark stuff is just more fun to watch and amuses me more.
Speaking of dark and amusing, one of the few manga series I've actually read and finished is Uzumaki. Anyone else read that one?

It's basically a series of strange events that occur in a small town, all revolving around the motif of spirals. It gets progressively weirder over time; I stuck through despite the weirdness and made it to the end. XD

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Regarding Mirai Nikki, I think it's a piece of ****. It came off as incredibly juvenile which is fine because it knows its target audience. I've rewatched it twice and my opinion of it was greatly lowered every time, it's sitting at a 2 on my scale. It has quite possibly the worst supporting characters I've ever seen and a godawful ending. And no, the OVA didn't help.
Understandable. I suppose I'm yet to delve deeper into the plot yet, but I find it to be generally intriguing to watch thus far. And sure, I suppose many of the opposing characters are disposable in comparison to something like Fate/Zero.

I just find the main cast to have some merit, 'kay? ;w;

Oh yeah, watch Cromartie High. That's always one of the few staples I recommend to anyone. Thank me later.
Introducing, the only anime scene that ever got me to genuinely laugh! (You're next, Watamote!)

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I like this guy. If you like Fairy Tail, you might like "The Seven Deadly Sins", it's an interesting series that I've started. It runs weekly alongside FairyTail. The art is more light like FairyTail's. I'm on chapter 2, and I'm already loving this series.
Might check up on that one later. It's fairly recent, having started in 2012, so I guess I won't have much trouble catching up to the current chapter.

For now, I'll be entertained with Death Note. I've watched 9 episodes and the plot is really interesting. I like the idea of having the villain as the protagonist, as it's something not common in storytelling. Will comment more on it once I'm finished, but so far, so good.

nessokman

Smash Lord
Might check up on that one later. It's fairly recent, having started in 2012, so I guess I won't have much trouble catching up to the current chapter.

For now, I'll be entertained with Death Note. I've watched 9 episodes and the plot is really interesting. I like the idea of having the villain as the protagonist, as it's something not common in storytelling. Will comment more on it once I'm finished, but so far, so good.
Death note is one of my favorite series ever. My favorite character doesn't appear until really late in the series

Last edited:

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
Man, I was just thinking about the opening to this show a few days ago.

One of the best.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
I now understood why motohiro liked madoka magica so much. How it's so misleading is what ****s me up, but I can't stop watching it because I wanted to know what's really going on. What a twist.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I now understood why motohiro liked madoka magica so much. How it's so misleading is what ****s me up, but I can't stop watching it because I wanted to know what's really going on. What a twist.
Yeah it's pretty good. Only 10 I've ever given.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Finished watching Death Note. I liked it quite a lot. No wonder it's considered one of the best anime/manga series around.

Top Bottom