• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General anime thread/Anime (and manga) New OP,Edits Coming Soon!

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
That's quite the gamble, but I'm also taking a big risk by starting Haiyore! Nyaruko-san. I'm not really big on these shows, but I need some mindless fun every now and then. 10/10 on the socks though.

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
Hmm, well maybe I'll have to watch a little more of it and see if it grows on me or not.
That's quite the gamble, but I'm also taking a big risk by starting Haiyore! Nyaruko-san. I'm not really big on these shows, but I need some mindless fun every now and then. 10/10 on the socks though.
I mean I generally enjoy comedies, but Heaven's Lost Property just seems like it wasn't very well done.

Last edited:

asianaussie

Smash Hero
the three bad anime i will always recommend to people are SYD, sora no otoshimono (heaven's lost property) and horizon

SnO was such a good ride that i ended up doing some translation work for the manga

good show if you arent looking for DEEP MEANINGFUL PLOT

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
Idk it just doesn't really seem like my sense of humor, examples of some comedy anime that I really enjoyed would be like Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt, Shinryaku! Ika Musume, Baka and Test, Ranma 1/2, and K-ON!

Edit: Oh and of course Space Dandy, I've been loving that so far.

Last edited:

asianaussie

Smash Hero
i stopped it after 2 episodes because i just didnt see the need to keep watching a japanese parody of western shows

i mean, why not just watch johnny bravo or something

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
I'd at least watch up to the episode where Scanty and Kneesocks are introduced if I were you, the first two episodes don't do the series justice at all.

nessokman

Smash Lord
Mikasa's voice is ok. It is shaping up to be a good dub. Though Armin and eren can make or break it, let's see how this turns out.

I keep seeing other series I need towards on crunchyroll and forgetting them.

Much anime to watch

nessokman

Smash Lord
rewatch, you mean
I'm only waiting to rewatch AOT, just or the sake of comparing the different versions. (Might just watch the first episode and wait for the rest to end up on toonami)

Clips of the Attack on titan dub are out, only for funimation members, but youtube has our back!
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pQ8LgEteknU
Jean, Connie, Sasha
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=swBXBYNBfew
Petra, levi, Hanji
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-T7yCe2vqCY
Mikasa

I'm liking the dub, Hanji and Mikasa are fine I don't care for Levi's voice. Mikasa gave me goosebumps, I like her English as much as I like her Japanese VA.

I don't like the changes they made to the writing in Levi's intro scene, it's one of my favorite ones. Rather that "what interesting faces you have" it's "I guess you can't help being ugly"
It isn't that drastic of a change, but the Japanese fit him better

Side note: Anyone else think the titan Hanji killed in Levi's scene looks like Light Yagami's dad?

Last edited:

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
I'm actually kind of looking forward to AoT's dub, I always figured they were all speaking English anyways. I like what I hear, but I'm pretty accepting of dubs. I wasn't expecting Matthew Mercer for Levi though, his voice is deeper than I would have expected for the character.

It'll probably show up on Toonami eventually, I'll wait for that.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
English Mikasa sounds great. The VA captured her personality quite well.

Levi sounds like Chrom from Fire Emblem: Awakening. Hardly surprising, since it's the same VA. The voice suits him well, even though it's quite different from the Japanese one. Hanji sounds as crazy as in the original Japanese, which I suppose it isn't a bad thing.

Jean, Connie and Sasha are okay. Don't really have much to say about them, actually.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Nah son, nothing beats that Little Busters dub.

nessokman

Smash Lord
English Mikasa sounds great. The VA captured her personality quite well.

Levi sounds like Chrom from Fire Emblem: Awakening. Hardly surprising, since it's the same VA. The voice suits him well, even though it's quite different from the Japanese one. Hanji sounds as crazy as in the original Japanese, which I suppose it isn't a bad thing.

Jean, Connie and Sasha are okay. Don't really have much to say about them, actually.
Connie sounds approximately 1,000,000,000,000,000 times better than in Japanese. I
Didn't realize they were the same VA! Another reason to like him more!(chrom is cool, though I never used him)

Armin is out, he sounds decent. Annie sounds just cold enough to be right. This might be one of my favorite dubs I watch, though it probably won't be as good as subbed

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Connie sounds approximately 1,000,000,000,000,000 times better than in Japanese. I
Didn't realize they were the same VA! Another reason to like him more!(chrom is cool, though I never used him)
Hmm... Armin sounds older than in the Japanese voice over, but doesn't sound bad at all. I noticed there's a tendency to make younger characters sound deeper in English dubs, especially male characters.

And yeah, Chrom and Levi share the same VA in English. They are somewhat similar characters when it comes to their role (not personality). Chrom is the leader of the Shepherds and Levi is captain of the Survey Corps.

Last edited:

nessokman

Smash Lord
Hmm... Armin sounds older than in the Japanese voice over, but doesn't sound bad at all. I noticed there's a tendency to make younger characters sound deeper in English dubs, especially male characters.

And yeah, Chrom and Levi share the same VA in English. They are somewhat similar characters when it comes to their role (not personality). Chrom is the leader of the Shepherds and Levi is captain of the Survey Corps.
Well, at least he wasn't voiced by a girl like black star. That was a disaster.

I am really happy with the dubbing, now we just wait and see if todd haberkorn is eren

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I think it sounds like **** to be honest. Mikasa sounded horrible and uninspired. I thought Armin sounded like trash, none of the fear and anxiety carried over at all. Hanji didn't sound fantastic either and I thought Levi was a disgrace.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
So I've completed Shinsekai Yori. Thoughts below:

I thought it was fairly good overall. In retrospect, what I enjoyed most about the series was:

-The interesting ways in which telekinesis was used, and how its consequences manifested in the world (as well as the ways in which those in power tried to control it);
-The peppering of (pseudo)scientific concepts and terminology;
-The references to "ancient" civilization (i.e. early 21st Century), which adds a layer of verisimilitude to the world;
-The grey moral spectrum that emerged as the human-queerat conflict unfolded.

The last point allowed for Yakomaru's motives to be sympathetic, and made the fate he suffered rather tragic. I also liked the whole common ancestry reveal in the final episodes (regarding the queerat origins). The open-ended (though optimistic) epilogue was pretty good, though I'm indifferent as to Saki and Satoru being married and having a child.

On the other hand, I found the series rather slow at times, particularly during the middle portion with the Karma Demon and the exile of Maria and Mamoru (so I agree in that regard, @ :mad: :mad: ). Also, the principal characters weren't the most interesting ones I've ever seen; they lacked a certain depth or substance to them. And they were all understated in the way they acted and reacted, which probably contributed to the sense of slow pacing. The animation, art style, and OST were of decent caliber; the show hardly ever impressed me in those departments.

If I had to grade it, I'd give it between 6-6.5out of 10. Not the best, but it has plenty of interesting ideas that come together to form an interesting sci-fi-tinged post-apocalyptic tableau.

I will probably proceed with examining the other series that were recommended to me in this thread. I will report on my experiences as I go forward, as I have done thus far. :)

nessokman

Smash Lord
I have watched soul eater 2 1/2 times now. Sad to see it ending on toonami. I wish toonami would stop showing old naruto and show something else that by haven't shown.

Last edited:

asianaussie

Smash Hero
i wish people would stop watching shows they've already seen and watch something they haven't seen

he says, as he watches gurren lagann 11 for the eighty-thousandth time

nessokman

Smash Lord
Showing shippuden and then showing the original is foolish. By that logic, they should be showing One Piece's later episodes at regular time, and then have the series start from the beginning later in the night. I'd rather they have another series.

I'm gonna force myself to watch durarara, I am busy Monday-Friday, so I just need to force myself to make time for anime/manga.

I was terrified that blue exorcist had been cancelled, but the new chapter is out finally. It's running in Jump Square, which, If I am right, is easier to keep a series serialized in. Either way, I'm happy to see more BE, let's see what other ridiculous names Rin can give to his moves as he faces the Illuminati.

I forgot samurai Jack existed, holy crap I love the theme song

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I was terrified that blue exorcist had been cancelled, but the new chapter is out finally. It's running in Jump Square, which, If I am right, is easier to keep a series serialized in. Either way, I'm happy to see more BE, let's see what other ridiculous names Rin can give to his moves as he faces the Illuminati.
I think that series is popular enough to not be cancelled... On what chapter are you on?

Anyway, thinking on watching Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood. Heard good things about it, so I'm considering it.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
Brotherhood is the best choice if you want to watch a FMA anime. Reading the manga would be slightly better though because Brotherhood rushes though the first few arcs since they were covered in the original anime. Brotherhood also cuts out a flashback story later on.

Overall Brotherhood is not a bad way to see FMA. You should check it or the manga out, the series is one of the better shonens out there.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Brotherhood is the best choice if you want to watch a FMA anime. Reading the manga would be slightly better though because Brotherhood rushes though the first few arcs since they were covered in the original anime. Brotherhood also cuts out a flashback story later on.

Overall Brotherhood is not a bad way to see FMA. You should check it or the manga out, the series is one of the better shonens out there.
I see. Well, the manga usually is the best way to know the story, since it's the original story written by the series' creator.

I'll probably end up reading the manga and watching both anime series, depending on how I will like the series.

nessokman

Smash Lord
I think that series is popular enough to not be cancelled... On what chapter are you on?

Anyway, thinking on watching Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood. Heard good things about it, so I'm considering it.
Thought Chapters usually come out earlier in the month, and I'm on chapter 55, the most recent chapter. Rin remains my favorite character to this day.

Fullmetal alchemist brotherhood is a must watch. Probably one of the best series I've watched/read.

Durarara is certainly interesting so far.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I finished Ghost in the Shell: SAC the other day and I've gotta say it was pretty good.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
So I've completed Shinsekai Yori. Thoughts below:
I agree with most of your points. I gave it a 6, myself. It's a 7 on a good day. The awesome closing episodes left me with a positive impression of the show. It was a breath of fresh air for me.

I'm also in the process of watching Stand Alone Complex and it's the epitome of average. The production values are great and all, I'm just not as engrossed as I had hoped. I'm having more fun watching Cardcaptor Sakura, it's a cut above the rest.

Top Bottom