• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General anime thread/Anime (and manga) New OP,Edits Coming Soon!

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
I agree with most of your points. I gave it a 6, myself. It's a 7 on a good day. The awesome closing episodes left me with a positive impression of the show. It was a breath of fresh air for me.

I'm also in the process of watching Stand Alone Complex and it's the epitome of average. The production values are great and all, I'm just not as engrossed as I had hoped. I'm having more fun watching Cardcaptor Sakura, it's a cut above the rest.
The SY endgame was pretty good. It was certainly a rollicking adventure in an interesting environment. The resolution of the Fiend plot was also well thought-out and executed, especially since the solution relied on pre-established rules (which is the ideal approach for any narrative).

I remember watching a handful of Cardcaptor episodes way back in the day. I watched them on TV, though I forget what channel. It was pretty neat, from what I recall. Though I'm otherwise uninitiated to the whole Magical Girl subgenre.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I'm serious though, Cardcaptor Sakura is awesome.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I'm still enjoying the former a lot more, but that's just me. **** taste and all.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Sword Art is my favorite, Kitiro is the best mahou shoujo.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Just finished watching Soul Eater on Netflix after missing it on Toonami. It was good, really good in fact. Reminds me of Teen Titans.

nessokman

Smash Lord
Just finished watching Soul Eater on Netflix after missing it on Toonami. It was good, really good in fact. Reminds me of Teen Titans.
Dear god, I never thought of it much, but that is so true. The manga has a more interesting end than the bullcrap anime end.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Dear god, I never thought of it much, but that is so true. The manga has a more interesting end than the bullcrap anime end.
I....actually kind of agree with that. Maka pretty much Mary Sue'd her way out of the situation. Still, I really enjoyed the anime as a whole, reminding me of Teen Titans (my favorite animated series of all-time) certainly helped.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
So, I've watched 5 episodes of FMA Brotherhood and read 8 chapters of the manga. Really liking it so far. Of course, I still have a long way before I finish the series, so I can't comment much on it yet.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Started Steins;Gate with my friend today, we got through 4 episodes and we're pretty confused (although I'm not surprised). The MC is pretty sweet though.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Started Steins;Gate with my friend today, we got through 4 episodes and we're pretty confused (although I'm not surprised). The MC is pretty sweet though.
Yeah, Hououin Kyouma is awesome. Mayuri really made the show for me though, she's the best. S;G is fun with friends, I rewatched it with a buddy of mine and had a blast.

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Watched 35 episodes so far, and I'm really enjoying FMA Brotherhood. Easily on my top 3 anime, alongside Death Note and Attack on Titan.

Will comment more on it once I watch the ending, obviously.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
Watched 35 episodes so far, and I'm really enjoying FMA Brotherhood. Easily on my top 3 anime, alongside Death Note and Attack on Titan.

Will comment more on it once I watch the ending, obviously.
You must be about halfway through by this point. Brotherhood also ranks highly for me, and I enjoyed the endgame and resolution greatly. :)

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
Just finished RahXephon, it was the definition of mediocrity, I've come to expect better from Bones.

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Finished FMA Brotherhood. It was fantastic. It actually surpassed my expectations, which were high to begin with, given how I had heard good things about it.

The characters were likable, the action scenes were amazing, the plot was great and I liked many of the themes it had.

One of the things I liked about the story is how I actually felt bad for the villains, which I think is something hard to achieve when not resorting to unwilling villainy. Especially for Gluttony, Envy and even Pride and Father!

Definitely a must-watch/read for those who haven't yet.

Last edited:

nessokman

Smash Lord
Finished FMA Brotherhood. It was fantastic. It actually surpassed my expectations, which were high to begin with, given how I had heard good things about it.

The characters were likable, the action scenes were amazing, the plot was great and I liked many of the themes it had.

One of the things I liked about the story is how I actually felt bad for the villains, which I think is something hard to achieve when not resorting to unwilling villainy. Especially for Gluttony, Envy and even Pride and Father!

Definitely a must-watch/read for those who haven't yet.
I like everything in FMA, pride4lyfe

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I'm more hyped for the Kiniro Mosaic sequel, but that's cool too I guess.

PillsBuryDopeBoy

Führer President King DopeLord The VI
3DS FC
3325-3900-7222

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Bryce papenbrook is eren. I was fine with the dub until now, this is just gonna be kirito 2.0, watching it again subbed, this dub is official crap.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=HJaUvV9Hwgs

Note:Bryce did ok in blue exorcist, the rest of his work is crap IMO
If I recall correctly, he also voiced Henry in Fire Emblem: Awakening. I don't think he's a bad actor, but there's better.

Anyway, I think it's too soon to say anything about the dub. Judging things solely from trailers is generally not a very good idea. Will watch it to compare the differences between the original Japanese voice over and the English one.

Changing the subject, I'm now reading the FMA manga and I noticed some details were taken out from the Brotherhood anime. It's like the anime has the story more "compressed", being at a faster pace, having some less important scenes skipped. It's not like those details were important and the overall story is preserved, but it's still interesting to compare the differences.

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
Bryce papenbrook is eren. I was fine with the dub until now, this is just gonna be kirito 2.0, watching it again subbed, this dub is official crap.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=HJaUvV9Hwgs

Note:Bryce did ok in blue exorcist, the rest of his work is crap IMO
He did Masaomi Kida in the Durarara!! dub, incidentally Masaomi is my least favorite character, but the dub is still pretty good overall.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Kirito is Eren? ASBEL is Eren? Hahaha...

Actually, I think it's a good choice for Eren, but it's going to be hard not to think about some of his other roles.
At least he is also the best Final Fantasy hero.

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
At least he is also the best Final Fantasy hero.
I never noticed he voiced Zidane, but he didn't have very much dialogue in the Dissidia series, so that's probably why.

Last edited:

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
Tried the first two episodes of Bakemonogatari.

It's rather weird. The animation has a lot of trippy avant-garde stuff, though the art style is fine enough. The characters so far (Ex-Vampire Boy, Weightless Girl, Priest Dude) are all eccentric, and this initial two-ep arc was rather absurd (crab god stealing girl's weight, or her feelings due to some heavy cult-**** drama).

There's not much for me to latch on to just yet. It's very Slice-of-Lifey up to this point, which is something I'm averse to. I have a hard time getting into characters in themselves, which is why I prefer there be other elements like an overarching narrative or some action or mystery or tension or cool ideas/concepts to keep me engaged. These are the "glue" that bridge me to the characters, since I don't tend to find characters in fiction interesting in and of themselves, when they are divorced from some broader, interesting context.

I learned this lesson watching through the entirety of Clannad and After Story. I watched that series because it was supposed to be a classic of the genre, and stuck through until the end because I wanted to get the whole Slice of Life experience. I don't really regret the experience, but it was rather much an ordeal to sit through because there was a negligible amount of narrative stakes or a sense of urgency or anything (though things did start to get more interesting after Nagisa's passing).

I'll watch a few more Bakemonogatari episodes, just to see where it's going. And at worst, there's only 15 episodes, so I'm willing to watch through it just so I can say that I did. I'll report here with further impressions later as I progress.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer

:D
Come to think of it, there was a lot of skin in the first two episodes. XD

I'm watching the series because it was recommended to me earlier in this thread. Gratuitous money shots aren't all too bothersome, but they're gratuitous nonetheless. I guess I can expect much more of that (thanks to you hilarious captions), but I'll still give it a few more episodes. ;)

Last edited:

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
@ Sehnsucht Sehnsucht You should definitely keep watching Bakemonogatari, it's easily one of the best anime to come out in the past couple years.

Last edited:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
The Monogatari series is one of my favorites, but if you dislike the characters, it's probably not as fun of an experience. Araragi is one of the most refreshingly funny male protags you'll ever see. Senjougahara is a legend, she really shines later down the road. My personal favorite is Hachikuji though.

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
I'm more of a Shinobu fan myself, but Nadeko is the only character that I don't really like. Pretty much every character is extremely well-written, except perhaps Ougi, her motivation was kind of unclear.

Last edited:
Top Bottom