• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General anime thread/Anime (and manga) New OP,Edits Coming Soon!

Blackrider213

Smash Apprentice
I hope you're watching Bakemonogatari with good subs. I've seen multiple version of subs on the internet before. Most are good, though there was a terrible subbed version for episode 3. The quality of subs is mostly useful though for understanding the jokes and puns, which granted is hard to translate well. However, pending on the translation, you can get some insight into the humor. I was lucky to find a translation that actually explained via footnote a particular joke that had no analogous English counterpart, which no other subs did. Anyways, I'd say try to stick with it through the full season.

I'm surprised they're already having a 2nd season for Log Horizon. I would bet that it will only be 12 episodes. Log Horizon had volumes 1-5 covered in these past two seasons, while there are 7 total volumes currently. Even then though, I think 12 episodes is way too long for 2 volumes, so there's going to be filler I bet.

Blackrider213

Smash Apprentice
I have no idea if people just edited the crunchyroll translation. Some might have, and I think some translated from scratch.

Scarlet Bean

Smash Apprentice
K so I used to watch anime when I was like 13, but I quit on it-- I'm 18 now. Lately, I've been bored, more than usual actually; I've wondering if I should get back into it.
I got into anime because I found the distinctive art style to be rather intriguing. I'd considered the humor in anime to be moderate, possibly because I'm not that into comedy in general--I'm more of a drama person.
The storyline in most of the animes I've watched are, to my experience, astonishing. I quit due to realizing that the community is not what I had hoped it would be. To me, it just seemed to be a gathering of low-life people with god-damn aspirations of mockery through witty jokes. I could not find someone I can relate to, someone who,through my eyes, seemed interesting. Now--before you get into argument about why my reason for quitting would be stupid and that I should just enjoy anime, I'd like to give you my perspective on hobbies: Interacting with people that have the same interests you do is significantly more entertaining than being alone. Thank you

| Kailex |

I smell like salty coins and milk
NNID
pootis
3DS FC
2578-3225-2678
K so I used to watch anime when I was like 13, but I quit on it-- I'm 18 now. Lately, I've been bored, more than usual actually; I've wondering if I should get back into it.
I got into anime because I found the distinctive art style to be rather intriguing. I'd considered the humor in anime to be moderate, possibly because I'm not that into comedy in general--I'm more of a drama person.
The storyline in most of the animes I've watched are, to my experience, astonishing. I quit due to realizing that the community is not what I had hoped it would be. To me, it just seemed to be a gathering of low-life people with god-damn aspirations of mockery through witty jokes. I could not find someone I can relate to, someone who,through my eyes, seemed interesting. Now--before you get into argument about why my reason for quitting would be stupid and that I should just enjoy anime, I'd like to give you my perspective on hobbies: Interacting with people that have the same interests you do is significantly more entertaining than being alone. Thank you
Ugh, eh. Didnt expect something like that here...

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
It seems like you're going through your edgy teenager phase. You may have this false sense of enlightenment or something similar and that's all well and good so long as you realize you're no more special than anyone else. I can kind of see your reasoning, but at the same time I think it's silly to give up on a hobby you once enjoyed just because you have a negative view of its community. You can meet a lot of interesting people through this hobby, the trick is to avoid the hardcore otaku types. This thread has its bad moments, but for the most part, I've enjoyed chatting about whatever crappy show is flavor of the week around here. Oh and don't take any of what I said personally. I'd be more than happy to talk to you about whatever cartoons we may share, but I can't promise any more than that.

Xyzz

Smash Champion
Mockery through witty jokes is like the best thing people can do. Too bad most fall way short of witty.

And well, "the community" is way too generalizing. In any given grouping of people over a sufficient size, there'll always be individuals you like and individuals you dislike. Focus your interaction on the former, and more or less ignore the later. Or find some compromise of an activity that's somewhat enjoyable and has a bunch of people you like, that's completely fine, too (e.g. I played a bunch of videogames with friends just because they asked me to, and would've been terribly bored if I had to do so on my own).

I just don't really get what kind of reaction you're expecting here. Sympathetic virtual hugs and the assertion "yeaaah, most anime fans are stupid, but the folks around here are the cool hipster kids"? Just pick a bunch of Chinese cartoons to watch and kick up a conversation about those (or just pick ones you've already seen). That's probably the easiest way too figure out if you like the people around.

Scarlet Bean

Smash Apprentice
I guess I just need to get over the fact that every community has its own jerks regardless of the concentration. I appreciate your kind and formal responses.
Going to put all this aside. So, do you have any good anime I could watch

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
I guess I just need to get over the fact that every community has its own jerks regardless of the concentration. I appreciate your kind and formal responses.
Going to put all this aside. So, do you have any good anime I could watch
What kind of anime are looking for? Give me a genre and I'll give you some recommendations.

Xyzz

Smash Champion
The OP of this very thread supposedly has a list of stuff that at least somebody considers to be great. If you're not going to supply some more indication than "I'm more of a drama than comedy"-person, you might as well check those and see what catches your interest (probably a good idea to do so in any case, at least I personally rather enjoyed quite a few of those).

| Kailex |

I smell like salty coins and milk
NNID
pootis
3DS FC
2578-3225-2678
Hmm... Im thinking about steins;gate, another, code geass, and darker than black...

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
If I were to priotize it, it would go like this:
Drama
Mystery
Psychological
Adventure
Some of these shows fit into multiple categories, but I'll put them in what I feel is the most prominent.

Drama:
Beck
Angel Beats
Elfen Lied
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Spirited Away
Attack on Titan

Mystery:
.hack//Sign
Bakemonogatari
Darker than Black
Durarara!!
Eden of the East
Higurashi
Paranoia Agent
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

Psychological:
Ghost in the Shell
Hell Girl
Welcome to the N.H.K.
Perfect Blue
Akagi

Adventure:
Outlaw Star
Cardcaptor Sakura
Cowboy Bebop
The Legend of the Legendary Heroes
Dragon Ball
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Origin: Spirits of the Past
Howl's Moving Castle
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
Kino's Journey
Lupin the Third
Magi
Michiko to Hatchin
Princess Mononoke
Mushishi
Spice and Wolf
Pokemon Origins
Samurai Champloo
Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit
Slayers
Soul Eater
Sword Art Online

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
If I were to recommend something that hasn't been recommended yet, I'd say Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood and Death Note.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
I don't agree, it has a lot of humor, but I think the adventure and fantasy aspects are stronger than the comedy.
I've never even heard of Slayers, let alone watched it, and I also think it's way more comedy than it is adventure.

You're outnumbered, mate. >8D

Xyzz

Smash Champion
I don't agree, it has a lot of humor, but I think the adventure and fantasy aspects are stronger than the comedy.
I couldn't take it seriously at all ;)

I've never even heard of Slayers, let alone watched it
I just watched the first series, because well... there's a Dota character named after the main character (as good of a reason to watch stuff as any... :D)

Still a good recommendation, if I do say so myself.
You recommending that one looks about as surprising as if I'd recommend that people should play the touhou games :D

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
You recommending that one looks about as surprising as if I'd recommend that people should play the touhou games :D
You're talking about my avatar, right? I did finish watching the anime not too long ago. Last week, actually.

Currently, I'm reading the manga, something I've started doing when I was watching the anime.

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
I've never even heard of Slayers, let alone watched it, and I also think it's way more comedy than it is adventure.

You're outnumbered, mate. >8D
Your opinion is invalid if you haven't seen it.
I couldn't take it seriously at all ;)
It wasn't meant to have a super serious tone, that doesn't make it any less of an adventure series.

Last edited:

nessokman

Smash Lord
I'm excited for soul eater not! It's going to be animated by bones.

Expecting FMA:B level quality at least.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
The preview I've seen of Soul Eater Not! didn't exactly appeal to me. I would've preferred if they kept the same art style from the original series. Then again, given how Not! is lighter than the main series, I guess the art direction is appropriate.

I've read some chapters of the manga and it's not exactly the same as the original Soul Eater. More slice of life than action. Will probably watch the anime anyway.

Top Bottom