• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General anime thread/Anime (and manga) New OP,Edits Coming Soon!

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
The original series was done by Bones too, if I'm not mistaken.
You're correct. The original series was produced by Bones.

The original series' manga is better, but I hear the Soul Eater Not! anime will actually follow the manga to the end, since the author intends to end the manga this year and make sure the Not! anime lasts until then and cover the entire story.

Soul Eater Not! actually started serializing while Soul Eater was still running. To the point that a few Not! characters appear in the main series' final arcs.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Whoa, I took a nap and missed quite a bit of activity. deadjames gave quite a few good shows, although here's my attempt at thinning the list as well as adding a few suggestions of my own. In order of preference.

Drama
Rainbow: Nisha Rokubou no Shichinin
Spirited Away
Angel Beats

Mystery
The Tatami Galaxy
Kaiba
Higurashi

Psychological
Serial Experiments Lain
One Outs
Kuuchuu Buranko

Adventure
Hunter x Hunter (2011)
Kino no Tabi: The Beautiful World
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (2012)

Last edited:

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
Just finished Space Dandy, it definitely wasn't Shinichiro Watanabe's best work, but I still rather enjoyed it. The art was fantastic and it was pretty funny, my only complaint was that I kept hoping that the plot would be consistent and cohesive, but it was more episodic like Western cartoons.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I'm imagining if 4kids dubbed EVERYTHING...
I've heard that 4Kids isn't around anymore (I think they got bankrupt or something like that), so you don't have to worry about it. lol

I have nothing against dubs, but censorship is something else.

nessokman

Smash Lord
I've heard that 4Kids isn't around anymore (I think they got bankrupt or something like that), so you don't have to worry about it. lol

I have nothing against dubs, but censorship is something else.
Nope, I copied this from their wiki.

On December 13, 2012, the company announced that it had emerged from bankruptcy.

Those voices...

/wrists

Last edited:

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
With KLK having concluded, here are some general thoughts:

Really enjoyed the series all the way through.

It was essentially a roller coaster ride. No real depth of theme or plot or character, but the show never pretended otherwise (though it did make an effort to add some substance to the proceedings). It's really a show that prioritizes style over substance, so it's worth watching for the visual and auditory experience.

Though of course, the characters are all fun in their over-the-top ways. I was very fond of how they always tried to one-up themselves with left field developments and ludicrous battles. Great choreography, lively animation, and seasoned evenly with humour.

The final episode was moderately rushed, however. The Final Battle took up most of the episode, so the denouement was relegated to an end credits montage (which was nice, but still). There were also some questions remaining (such as who or what Houomaru was supposed to be). The actual episode itself was solid, though. I liked the way Ragyo went out, and Senketsu's fate was fitting.

Apparently, there was going to be 25 episodes instead of 24. That might have granted the endgame more time to breathe. I'm pleased with the series overall for the most part, though I do look forward to the OVA to be released in September, if only to see how it might supplement the main series with further closure.

So yeah. Sweet stuff all around. 8D

Also, I've watched episodes 3-4-5 of Bakemonogatari (so also thoughts):

So this comprised the Snail Girl Mayoi arc.

The show still isn't doing much for me at the moment. I noticed that there was a lot of linguistic humour (more so than in episodes 1-2), though as an illiterate in respect to the Japanese language, I couldn't in the least bit appreciate it.

Koyomi is proving rather dull. He's rather affectless, and the only real personality he exhibits is when he reads too much in the intents of others. His (over)reactions to Senjougahara's word games (and the games themselves) bring no smiles to my lips, and aren't all that more entertaining. The multiple insinuations and allegations of perversion are also comically tepid (though I am aware that Japanese culture is far more concerned with propriety (social and interpersonal) than we here in the Western World are).

Senjougahara's consistent toying of Koyomi is also fairly hollow. From a storytelling perspective, I do appreciate that her circuitous behaviour is attributed in part to her past. It is nonetheless not really engaging. And it doesn't help to make Koyomi seem any less slow.

She did cut to the chase by the end of episode 5, however, with the romantic confessional (and with Koyomi's reciprocation). It's good that they don't this romance plot out, especially given how much Senjou skirted and danced around the issue all throughout this arc.

Speaking of the arc, it is highly reminiscent of Clannad (which I resolved to watch all the way through to get the full Slice of Life experience). You have two male protagonists that have to Collect the Girls (i.e. focusing on befriending a new girl and/or helping them with their troubles) over a series of short, successive arcs. Mayoi is rather similar to Fuko, especially in the similarities in their troubles. Mayoi herself was whatever, though much like Senjou, she became a bit more interesting when her backstory was revealed.

I am appreciating the rules of these random Gods/Spirits/Whatever, in how they relate to the troubles and traumas of people. I liked how Koyomi's family troubles were tied into Mayoi's situation, tying this whole arc with a thematic bowtie. And I dug that epic This Means Business track they brought out a few times (this one). Though given that this is Slice of Life (which is by nature not very high-octane), I find the track's use to be pretty droll in that context. XP

I suppose I see the same thing in Clannad as I do in Bakemonogatari. While the latter is slightly more interesting due to the mild supernatural element, I'm having a hard time finding fictional characters interesting enough in their own right to just watch them interact or talk or lament their woes and hardships.

It is becoming apparent that the procedural foundation of the Slice of Life genre is not something out of which I can get much value. It's why I dropped Watamote (though admittedly, that series' extreme awkwardness didn't make it very accessible from the beginning).

I do intend to finish the series, if only to say I did watch it. And I'm already a third of the way through anyway. Let's see what the next arc will bring.

nessokman

Smash Lord
Writing and typing isn't for everyone, I agree.
I think of great things in my head, but putting "pen to paper" gets to me and messes it up on phrasing. If I could word things right, I would write a lot more.

FairyTail's new series starts saturday, and soul eater not! starts sometime next week. I want to see SEN! and see how good it is in comparison to the original.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Mushishi put me to sleep and then JoJo woke me back up. Spring is off to a great start.

Xyzz

Smash Champion
Hunter x Hunter (2011), Kill la Kill, Girls und Panzer, Berserk, Gurren Lagann.
The general quality of that list would suggest that I should watch Hunter x Hunter (seen all the others and their arithmetic mean score is 8.75), but when did I ever start a show with a triple digit episode count? (I doubt I ever will) :D

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I'll watch HxH, maybe berserk

anyone been into magi?
how is it?
It's okay. Nothing special, although I hear the manga is 10x better. At least the visuals are good, it's pretty to look at.

The general quality of that list would suggest that I should watch Hunter x Hunter (seen all the others and their arithmetic mean score is 8.75), but when did I ever start a show with a triple digit episode count? (I doubt I ever will) :D
HxH is the best, yo. I like Girls und Panzer the most though.

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
It's okay. Nothing special, although I hear the manga is 10x better. At least the visuals are good, it's pretty to look at.
I'm not too far into the manga, but so far it's literally exactly the same as the anime.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I'm not too far into the manga, but so far it's literally exactly the same as the anime.
In that case, I look forward to not reading it. I've been enjoying 20th Century Boys lately, it's great.

nessokman

Smash Lord
I'll start HunterXHunter soon.

I seriously need to start bakuman and The seven deadly sins again.

my backlog of anime/manga is getting rediculous, I need to get it caught up...Wouldn't hurt to list out everything I am watching/reading currently to not miss something.In fact-

Manga (ongoing)-
The Seven Deadly Sins
Blue Exorcist
Attack On Titan

Manga (Finished)
Bakuman

Anime-
Log Horizon
FairyTail (series2)
Brynhildr in the Darkness
Guilty Crown

Soul Eater Not! (next week :D)

Edit: I watched the first episode of the new series of FairyTail, It looks great, better animation, closer visual appearance to the manga, and they seem to actually be using blood. I might watch this through if it sticks with the manga and stays how it is.

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
anyone been into magi?
how is it?
Started reading the manga this week and I've read 59 chapters. I like it.

It starts very lighthearted but slowly develops into an interesting story later on with more dramatic moments, so don't judge it by the first few chapters. The Arabian Nights theme it has makes it stand out from other anime/manga series.

The anime adaptation is by A-1 Pictures, who also produced Fairy Tail, Sword Art Online and Blue Exorcist.

nessokman

Smash Lord
Well, I just spent a good 30 minutes looking at dead Marco jokes...Does this make me a bad person?
ohgod.jpg

Last edited:

nessokman

Smash Lord
Dear god Attack on Titan chapter 56...

Manga spoilers-
Levi Ackerman!?! Dear god. That plot twist just caught me so off guard.

Levi's teacher was interesting. I'm looking forward to seeing a showdown between them.Though Levi has an edge on his mentor because he is in the survey corps and thus has more actual fighting experience. Mikasa will shred him if Levi can't!

So much levi, character development for the best character :D

Last edited:

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
Just started Kill la Kill and Black Lagoon, I can already tell I'm going to love these shows. Also the first new episode of Mushishi was pretty good.

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
Started Soul Eater Not! seems like it could be good, but that was also my first impression of the original series and it ended up being pretty mediocre.

nessokman

Smash Lord
Started Soul Eater Not! seems like it could be good, but that was also my first impression of the original series and it ended up being pretty mediocre.
The original was fine up to about episode 30, then they broke from the source material. Soul eater not doesn't have much action, that will be its downfall when compared to the original.

Marthmario

Smash Lord
Just started Kill La Kill, Gintama, and I recently started watching Bobobo-bo Bobo-Bo again.

Marthmario

Smash Lord
Dear god Attack on Titan chapter 56...

Manga spoilers-
Levi Ackerman!?! Dear god. That plot twist just caught me so off guard.

Levi's teacher was interesting. I'm looking forward to seeing a showdown between them.Though Levi has an edge on his mentor because he is in the survey corps and thus has more actual fighting experience. Mikasa will shred him if Levi can't!

So much levi, character development for the best character :D
HOLY F*** THAT WAS UNEXPECTED.
Like I never saw that coming at all, and honestly I'm quite curious about this "Anti-Human 3D Maneuver Gear"

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
What about Space Dandy's second season.

I'm pretty hype about it.

(Also Rick and Morty, even though it's not anime.)

Last edited:
Top Bottom