• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General anime thread/Anime (and manga) New OP,Edits Coming Soon!

nessokman

Smash Lord
What about Space Dandy's second season.

I'm pretty hype about it.

(Also Rick and Morty, even though it's not anime.)
Space dandy has been moved down. It is still on toonami, they'll rerun the first season, when the second season is ready they'll start it

nessokman

Smash Lord
I saw that while I was wathcing last night. Much Hype. However, watching Eren's mom die for the third time is gonna be hard :/
Eh, she didn't get much development and we didn't get enough time with her for her death to be really sad. Eren's reactions were the only thing that made it slightly sad for me

Marthmario

Smash Lord
Eh, she didn't get much development and we didn't get enough time with her for her death to be really sad. Eren's reactions were the only thing that made it slightly sad for me
Still... THREE TIMES I WILL SEE THAT SCENE.. nay... FOUR BECAUSE OF THE MOVIE.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
AoT should help out Toonami, so I guess I'm glad about that.

Unfortunately it also means that One Piece and Black Lagoon are getting pushed back by half a hour, and those are the only things I care about on it. :/

Guess I can look forward to seeing those opening themes every week.

nessokman

Smash Lord
I miss soul eater on toonami, I jam to "Black Paper Moon"... I guess I'll just have to go with the saxophone in blue exorcist's opening...

I usually play games on my phone when bleach and one piece come on. I hate bleach with a passion, and OP isn't that far off from it.

But I did get a good laugh from this
image.jpg

4kids will never live down One Piece

Last edited:

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
My favorite animes are hunter x hunter (2011) and yuyu hakusho and I rate them both 10/10. I have watched Deathnote and Kaiji as well and I thought they were slightly boring, and I rate them 7/10 and 6/10.

Marthmario

Smash Lord
I miss soul eater on toonami, I jam to "Black Paper Moon"... I guess I'll just have to go with the saxophone in blue exorcist's opening...

I usually play games on my phone when bleach and one piece come on. I hate bleach with a passion, and OP isn't that far off from it.

But I did get a good laugh from this
View attachment 12165

4kids will never live down One Piece
What was so bad about 4Kid's One Piece?

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
I watched the Hunter Exam arc of Hunter X Hunter (i.e. up to episode 26).

I'm really digging the series thus far. In terms of the design and aesthetics of the HH world and its characters, it's weird without being too weird, which is nice (so that it all feels grounded). The fighting and whatnot also feels more grounded, since it relies far more on physical combat.

The pacing is also interesting. It moves fairly briskly, though even when it doesn't, there are enough interesting things at play to offset it. And the story seldom ever unfolds in the expected or conventional manner. The actual "tests" of the Hunter Exam were all diverse and interesting.

And something I very much appreciate is the psychological underpinning to the proceedings. There are often moments that raise philosophical and/or ethical questions, allowing the show to be more than a string of arbitrary fights, or superficially examining themes of friendship or whatever. Along those lines, I like how the show is willing to go to dark places, even with its more cartoony aesthetic (i.e. the death and brutality involved provides a neat contrast to the sense of adventure and wonder exhibited in Gon's group).

Characters I enjoy the most so far include Kilua, Netero, Hisoka, Leorio, and Illumi. Kurapika is alright, and Gon's tenacity is admirable, though he doesn't seem all too complex so far. As a last side note, I also like the OST a bunch.

In any case, it seems that the next arc will concern Heavens Arena. Looking forward to it. 8D

I'd like to know if anyone has seen anything I have. Here is my list: http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Phoenix_Trite
You know, I should totally get an account on that site. Could be useful for keeping track of my watching regimen.

I'll post my completed profile in this thread for anyone interested, once I get around to that.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
So I made an Anime List profile.

I consider 5 and above to be things I enjoyed on some level -- that is, things from which I derived some value -- so I used this metric to illustrate a gradation in terms of perceived quality. Since I've enjoyed the vast majority of what I've seen (as I try to opt for things that cater to my tastes), my scores reflect as much. I would consider 4 and below to consist of items whose negative qualities were a notable hindrance or obstacle to my enjoyment of said item.

I'll probably tinker with the scores and perhaps add more things that I've forgotten, but the current page seems representative of my current anime journey thus far. 8D

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
My favorite animes are hunter x hunter (2011) and yuyu hakusho and I rate them both 10/10. I have watched Deathnote and Kaiji as well and I thought they were slightly boring, and I rate them 7/10 and 6/10.
You gave Kaiji a 6? lol

I'd like to know if anyone has seen anything I have. Here is my list: http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Phoenix_Trite
I have, but I'm mildly offended that you gave Hidamari Sketch a 5. You're a heathen.

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Volunteer

Glad you're enjoying it. It becomes really great during Yorknew and becomes bat**** insane during the Chimera Ant arc.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
You gave Kaiji a 6? lol

I have, but I'm mildly offended that you gave Hidamari Sketch a 5. You're a heathen.

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Volunteer

Glad you're enjoying it. It becomes really great during Yorknew and becomes bat**** insane during the Chimera Ant arc.
And I'm extremely offended that you gave Wake Up, Girls! a one!

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
I'm really digging the series thus far. In terms of the design and aesthetics of the HH world and its characters, it's weird without being too weird, which is nice (so that it all feels grounded). The fighting and whatnot also feels more grounded, since it relies far more on physical combat.
The pacing is also interesting. It moves fairly briskly, though even when it doesn't, there are enough interesting things at play to offset it. And the story seldom ever unfolds in the expected or conventional manner. The actual "tests" of the Hunter Exam were all diverse and interesting.
And something I very much appreciate is the psychological underpinning to the proceedings. There are often moments that raise philosophical and/or ethical questions, allowing the show to be more than a string of arbitrary fights, or superficially examining themes of friendship or whatever. Along those lines, I like how the show is willing to go to dark places, even with its more cartoony aesthetic (i.e. the death and brutality involved provides a neat contrast to the sense of adventure and wonder exhibited in Gon's group).
Characters I enjoy the most so far include Kilua, Netero, Hisoka, Leorio, and Illumi. Kurapika is alright, and Gon's tenacity is admirable, though he doesn't seem all too complex so far. As a last side note, I also like the OST a bunch.
In any case, it seems that the next arc will concern Heavens Arena. Looking forward to it. 8D
How do you not like Kurapika!!!
Please keep watching. It will only get better, and the Yorknew City arc, which is after the Heavens Arena arc, is too good to describe. I watched that arc at least 4 times already.

I recommend that once you're introduced to the concept of nen, that you actually take the time to study it, because it will help you fully comprehend everything. You can watch the show without fully understanding nen, but it won't be nearly as good.

The reason why I love HxH so much is because of the incredible story, lifelike character personalities, and the interesting world in which they live in. It all starts with a boy finding out his father abandoned him to become a hunter, people who risk their lives to find treasures, and eventually the boy passes the extremely difficult hunter exam, makes new friends, becomes a very strong fighter, quickly wins a real life video game that people had been trying to complete for over a decade, and comes close to death many times. Even though the story simply began with a boy searching for his father, several additional stories began to develop, such as Kurapika's. This likely means that even after the boy finds his father, the show will still continue so that the other problems can be resolved. This anime will easily reach over 300 episodes if the author of the manga ever comes out of his 2+ year hiatus.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
How do you not like Kurapika!!!
Please keep watching. It will only get better, and the Yorknew City arc, which is after the Heavens Arena arc, is too good to describe. I watched that arc at least 4 times already.

I recommend that once you're introduced to the concept of nen, that you actually take the time to study it, because it will help you fully comprehend everything. You can watch the show without fully understanding nen, but it won't be nearly as good.

The reason why I love HxH so much is because of the incredible story, lifelike character personalities, and the interesting world in which they live in. It all starts with a boy finding out his father abandoned him to become a hunter, people who risk their lives to find treasures, and eventually the boy passes the extremely difficult hunter exam, makes new friends, becomes a very strong fighter, quickly wins a real life video game that people had been trying to complete for over a decade, and comes close to death many times. Even though the story simply began with a boy searching for his father, several additional stories began to develop, such as Kurapika's. This likely means that even after the boy finds his father, the show will still continue so that the other problems can be resolved. This anime will easily reach over 300 episodes if the author of the manga ever comes out of his 2+ year hiatus.
Out of the central gang, Kurapika stands out the least to me. Gon has his indomitable spirit, Leorio is comic relief, Kilua is a psychologically warped child assassin. Kurapika is the level-headed intellectual of the group, but because of this, he doesn't stick out in comparison to the others -- which thus makes him less interesting. Not to say he isn't interesting at all; I just find the rest more so, as of episode 26.

You note that Kurapika's story will be explored in the future, which may add further interest to the character. So that's good to know. I imagine that this will tie in heavily with the ominous Phantom Troupe, and since they're apparently showing up for the Yorknew Arc, I'm expecting good stuff from Kurapika in the future.

But yes, I do intend to continue at my own pace. I had a few binging sessions on Crunchyroll, which made for smooth and easy viewing, so I'll have to sit down and have more streaming sessions.

The show is solid for now (as of the end of the Exam arc), though I'm sure future arcs will be as good, if not better. I'll continue to relay impressions in this thread as I work through the available arcs. 8D

Last edited:

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
http://myanimelist.net/shared.php?u1=Phoenix_Trite&u2=deadjames I can agree with most of your ratings, but FLCL is way too low and Rosario + Vampire is way too high.
I also gave FLCL a 6. From what I remember, it was rather disjointed, and seemed to be more an experimental affair, what with the various transitions in format and the absurdity of the proceedings. That may be exactly the goal of the series, but it didn't click with me, so I'm not sure I can rate it any higher. A future rewatch might change things, though I'm not currently inclined to do so.

Also, looking at the Anime Lists provided here, it seems that everyone has watched at least 4-5 times more anime series than I have. XD

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
FLCL is the best anime Gainax has ever put out imo, but then again I am also of the very unpopular opinion that Neon Genesis Evangelion is mediocre, and Corpse Princess, and Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt are amazing.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
FLCL is the best anime Gainax has ever put out imo, but then again I am also of the very unpopular opinion that Neon Genesis Evangelion is mediocre, and Corpse Princess, and Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt are amazing.
I think I may have watched the first episode of NGE some time ago, though I forget much of what I'd seen. I intend to watch that series to bolster my anime cred, since it's supposedly the seminal mecha anime.

After a quick check, it seems that Gainax also did Gurren Lagann, which is cool to know.

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
Yeah I like Gurren Lagann too, but I didn't mention it because it's not weird to like that since most people do.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
This anime will easily reach over 300 episodes if the author of the manga ever comes out of his 2+ year hiatus.
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Now I've made myself sad. :(

On the bright side, this recent hiatus is at the end of an arc, so it's not as bad as that one we had before the final fight in the Chimera Ant arc.

Xyzz

Smash Champion
I consider 5 and above to be things I enjoyed on some level -- that is, things from which I derived some value -- so I used this metric to illustrate a gradation in terms of perceived quality. Since I've enjoyed the vast majority of what I've seen (as I try to opt for things that cater to my tastes), my scores reflect as much. I would consider 4 and below to consist of items whose negative qualities were a notable hindrance or obstacle to my enjoyment of said item.
Haha, that's pretty precisely the metric I use. 5 and above is at least some enjoyment, 4 is pretty much tied with staring at the blank wall, below it gets painful :D

Also, looking at the Anime Lists provided here, it seems that everyone has watched at least 4-5 times more anime series than I have. XD
Well, you did start fairly recently, didn't you? (admittedly I also just started in summer 2012, but I've never been good at this "enjoying things in moderation"-thing (: )

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
Well, you did start fairly recently, didn't you? (admittedly I also just started in summer 2012, but I've never been good at this "enjoying things in moderation"-thing (: )
Well, I'd say that I've been watching anime as an actual pursuit for the last 3-4 years. Though evidently, I make comparatively slow progress.

Then again, slow and steady wins the race, or somesuch.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
I started Summer of 2012, and for the past two school years (including this one) I have watched two episodes of a show before I go to school. That's the only time I have for it during the week. For airing shows, I watch those on the weekends. I get one show done in a week or two, so that's two to four series a month. Almost. Also, when it comes to non-airing shows, I only watch one at a time. Focusing on one show makes it faster to finish, and it helps things make more sense, since I forget stuff really easily.

Last edited:

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
Noobs, I've been watching anime since 1996! Well I kind of took a break from it during my middle school years, but a friend got me back into it in high school and I haven't stopped since.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
You've out weeaboo'd us deadjames, good job.

Also, holy **** that new One Piece chapter.

Top Bottom