• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General anime thread/Anime (and manga) New OP,Edits Coming Soon!

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
GoT is a beastly series to tackle. @Sehnsucht, or anyone else for that matter, you are in possession of a saintly soul filled with patience for sticking it out. I still haven't finished the first book yet.

(Though I still think Tad Williams' Otherlands series is even slower to get going. My God, a whole book goes by and literally nothing happens to move the plot forward. I digress, tho'.)

@ :mad: :mad: Phantom Blood was what actually got me into JJBA to start with. Despite being kinda derpy at points, I really enjoyed the atmosphere and the pacing of the story. It was a gritty, pulpy ride that reminds me of certain Western Silver Age comics. However, Rutger's more or less on point; things REALLY get good with Battle Tendency, and soar into realms of awesome with Stardust Crusaders.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

nessokman

Smash Lord
You're daft, it would easily be very popular without the anime because the manga is ****ing glorious, miles better in terms of production quality than at least a good two thirds of everything currently being serialised

I didnt add all the shingeki volumes, merely figured out how many it took to match one piece's four top 30 entries, congrats on being able to do addition though
No, The anime has greatly helped it.I stand by the fact that it would not be AS popular without it's anime. I never said it wouldn't be popular without it. It had to be somewhat to even get an anime.

So does that mean all the other OP volumes failed to break a million? That in itself is interesting. I hypothesize most of the people who are buying that manga are the ones who are up to date, and that it isn't getting as many fans new now. the vast majority of it's sales seem to be in the recent volumes, which backs up what I said.

I want to look into this more.

Shingeki has a goal for its ending. (20 volumes). I do doubt they will be able to keep that goal, given developments in the plot. I won't be drained out of all my money buying up to volume 60 of it :p

asianaussie

Smash Hero
you said it wouldnt be half as popular - i dispute that statement strongly

these are 2013 sales only, do you even look at your own stat sources? why would you buy what you already own? and of course it's not getting many new fans, any and every manga buff worth their salt is probably ALREADY a fan, as those numbers would suggest, it doesnt back anything up except the assertion good two-cour anime pumps sales nonsensically high

Last edited:

nessokman

Smash Lord
you said it wouldnt be half as popular - i dispute that statement strongly

these are 2013 sales only, do you even look at your own stat sources? why would you buy what you already own? and of course it's not getting many new fans, any and every manga buff worth their salt is probably ALREADY a fan, as those numbers would suggest, it doesnt back anything up except the assertion good two-cour anime pumps sales nonsensically high
"any and every manga buff worth their salf"
Load of crap, I say.Your own fandom is blinding you there. I know more people who hate OP than like it, and its large popularity is coming from japan. The rest of the world is more into other ****.

What I say is more than likely right.OP isn't getting any more popular, it's target audience is, as a gamer might say, "Maxed out" in stats. The only thing left for it is for the author to mess something up and make it slowly start losing its fans. Don't even say it won't happen, it has happened to most of the biggest series.In the next 15 or so years, the author will **** something up.

And yes, I will stand by my comment of not half as popular. All those kids when the anime first started seeing it and buying the manga because it is ahead of the anime. I can say it, and my statement can hardly be proven right or wrong.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
The people you know are probably people who influenced/were influenced by you (read: hipsters who saw the 4kids dub and hated it based not only on the lolwut translation, but also the fact it is popular enough to het on morning cartoon shows). why should i take your anecdotal evidence seriously?

There are very few actual manga buffs outside japan, most people just read online and sometimes archive

the rest of the world is into WESTERN STUFF like breaking bad and GoT, opinion on anime should honestly be sourced from the biggest fanbase, not from a world dominated by bubblewrapping media franchises like 4kids

And yes, I will stand by my comment of not half as popular. All those kids when the anime first started seeing it and buying the manga because it is ahead of the anime. I can say it, and my statement can hardly be proven right or wrong.
You havent even read the manga and apparently have no eye for artistic technique (lol@shingeki having GOOD art), how can you say something so blindingly authoritative

Last edited:

nessokman

Smash Lord
The people you know are probably people who influenced/were influenced by you (read: hipsters who saw the 4kids dub and hated it based not only on the lolwut translation, but also the fact it is popular enough to het on morning cartoon shows). why should i take your anecdotal evidence seriously?

There are very few actual manga buffs outside japan, most people just read online and sometimes archive

the rest of the world is into WESTERN STUFF like breaking bad and GoT, opinion on anime should honestly be sourced from the biggest fanbase, not from a world dominated by bubblewrapping media franchises like 4kids

You havent even read the manga and apparently have no eye for artistic technique (lol@shingeki having GOOD art), how can you say something so blindingly authoritative
I've seen MAYBE 2 episodes of the 4kids, and no, The people I know that hate it hated it long before I even did.

This "Only opinions that matter is from the biggest fanbase" is bull**** that you are trying to use to put OP on a throne, the opinions of the rest of the world do ****ING MATTER.

I have read SOME of the manga, and the art is in no way impressive. Once again your blind fandom makes you think it is good. Shingeki's art is good for what it is, and I like that it is different from what you see every day. I enjoy the style to it, and find it fun to read. I am more inspired in my own art by a series like shingeki.(also inspired by soul eater)

Your only argument for OP is "One Piece is great because One Piece is One Piece, and One Piece is great, therefore One Piece is great."

asianaussie

Smash Hero
Did you even read my bigass spiel a page back? You must have, you made a hilariously idiotic series of posts attacking the only part of it you could attack: a subjective opinion - and this begs the question: if you did read it, why are you pretending my description of one piece in there didnt exist? I think you're the one being blind, buckaroo.

The numbers favour one piece, the critics favour one piece, japan favours one piece, people who actually read a great deal of shounen favour one piece... you arent trying to convince me it's bad, you're trying to convince yourself by ignoring all the acclaim

pull some sales stats from the US and come back then, the rest of the world regards manganime as alternative - until it airs anime on a major free to air channel and not in some niche japanese block, the rest of the world means very little

Last edited:

nessokman

Smash Lord
Did you even read my bigass spiel a page back? You must have, you made a hilariously idiotic series of posts attacking the only part of it you could attack: a subjective opinion - and this begs the question: if you did read it, why are you pretending my description of one piece in there didnt exist? I think you're the one being blind, buckaroo.

The numbers favour one piece, the critics favour one piece, japan favours one piece, people who actually read a great deal of shounen favour one piece... you arent trying to convince me it's bad, you're trying to convince yourself by ignoring all the acclaim

pull some sales stats from the US and come back then, the rest of the world regards manganime as alternative - until it airs anime on a major free to air channel and not in some niche japanese block, the rest of the world means very little
I've never seen critics favor one piece. and you can't speak for an entire people.(Those who read a great deal of shonen).It's hard to find manga sales from US. I googled and only found "OH MY GAWD MANGA INDUSTRY DOOMED!"

I need not convice myself of something I know is true. One Piece is terrible.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
Thank you for strongly solidifying my arguments, both for the exclusion of the western market in regarding popularity, and for your general inability to debate or judge anything properly.

nessokman

Smash Lord
So when do you plan on actually giving it a try to make that a credible statement?
Did you not read what I said? I have read SOME of it, and watched more than I care to remember at this point.
Thank you for strongly solidifying my arguments, both for the exclusion of the western market in regarding popularity, and for your general inability to debate or judge anything properly.
And how may I ask, did I do that?
Your taste in anime is stunted and limited, Nesskoman, and I can say that with certainty.

Smooth Criminal
Because I don't give a flying **** about a series that ISN'T good?

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Something being terrible or not is usually a subjective matter.

There are many different types of anime and manga and just because something doesn't suit your tastes it doesn't mean it's bad by itself.

Anyway, I've started to watch Attack on Titan. Liking it so far. (I'm still on episode 3, lol.)

Planning on watching/reading Fullmetal Alchemist, Blue Exorcist and Gurren Lagann. I've also heard good things about Kill la Kill, so I might check that one out too. Any other recommendations?

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Did you not read what I said? I have read SOME of it, and watched more than I care to remember at this point.
I read three chapters of Fairy Tail and I watched a video on YouTube about it and I can say with the utmost certainty that it is utter trash. I have no plans to continue with it or anything, but I'm right.

There are many different types of anime and manga and just because something doesn't suit your tastes it doesn't mean it's bad by itself.

Anyway, I've started to watch Attack on Titan. Liking it so far. (I'm still on episode 3, lol.)

Planning on watching/reading Fullmetal Alchemist, Blue Exorcist and Gurren Lagann. I've also heard good things about Kill la Kill, so I might check that one out too. Any other recommendations?
Try Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica and Black Lagoon.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
If you would drop the teenaged hubris for like two seconds and concede that you don't have an objective argument past "I've seen very little of this series and I didn't like what I saw," this would all go away. Asianaussie (and everyone else, for that matter) wouldn't have to waste time calling you out on your ****.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

nessokman

Smash Lord

FMA and BE are two of my favorites. I am confident you will like them.
(read Blue Exorcist, it's an ongoing series)

I've heard good things about Hellsing. Alsoo Bakuman if you want to know about how manga writing works.

nessokman

Smash Lord
Read One Piece. It's extremely long.
Fix'd.
Read One Piece. It's good. Doublepost because bad mobile net but the post stands.
Happens to me a lot....
I read three chapters of Fairy Tail and I watched a video on YouTube about it and I can say with the utmost certainty that it is utter trash. I have no plans to continue with it or anything, but I'm right.

Try Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica and Black Lagoon.
I can't argue on FT, if it weren't for dat last chapter I would probably have dropped it.
I thought I heard Black Lagoon was coming to Toonami, If so, I'll watch it there.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
Damn, I missed out on a One Piece argument while I was at class.

I really recommend Gurren Lagann from that list, but I also don't know if it will be your kind of thing.

I'll second Black Lagoon. Also check out Baccano!, the new Hunter x Hunter, and the new Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. I think there's a good chance you might like some of these since you like the start of AoT, though that doesn't necessarily mean that they are very similar to it.

Last edited:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
The hell is your new forum set, Smooth?

Oh and has anyone here watched Kaiba? Three episodes in and I'm enjoying it.

nessokman

Smash Lord
Planning on watching/reading Blue Exorcist
Also, I forgot to say-

After going back through Blue Exorcist, I'd recommend you read it, and you can watch it on toonami if you really wanna see the anime (starts in march)

If you are going to do FMA, Read the manga or watch Fullmetal alchemist brotherhood. The original FMA was pretty much a completely separate storyline.
___________________________________________________________________________________________

And to those who hate Shingeki...

Last edited:

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
The hell is your new forum set, Smooth?
Are you talking about my avatar/sig combo? It's Yoshikage Kira. He's the antagonist for JJBA part 4, "Diamond is Unbreakable." He's ****ing awesome.

And to those who hate Shingeki...
Yeah, well, I actually like Attack on Titan. I just don't think it's the coolest, most edgy manga/anime out there, unlike a certain Nesskoman I know. So, yeah.

Also, @ Frostwraith Frostwraith ...? Look up Fate/Zero when you can.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

nessokman

Smash Lord
Yeah, well, I actually like Attack on Titan. I just don't think it's the coolest, most edgy manga/anime out there, unlike a certain Nesskoman I know. So, yeah.
It took me a second to get that. The way that was put. Took me a sec.And did I ever EVER say it was the coolest? Don't try to put words in my mouth. I never did say that.

That gif was more towards asianaussie's direction, and I more than that just wanted to post that because I thought it was amusing.

Last edited:

nessokman

Smash Lord
Whatever, man. Just keep on blathering.

Smooth Criminal
Not my fault you misinterpreted my praise towards a series as me calling it "the best thing evar"

Made this out of boredom.Now it is in perfect sync with my sig. Beautiful.
output_PFMssB.gif

Last edited:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I started Battle Tendency earlier and it's pretty good. I already love Joseph, he's really funny.

And yeah Shingeki's cool and all, but it's no Kiniro Mosaic.

nessokman

Smash Lord
Bored...making Gifs.....I need to figure out what to do in my spare time...

anyone got a series similar to bakuman?

Last edited:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Oh yeah I forgot I've had Monster on hold for months. I should really get around to finishing that.

Bored...making Gifs.....I need to figure out what to do in my spare time...
I'd suggest watching anime. Try something out of your comfort zone, I think you'd like Sakura Trick. It's got some quality plot.

nessokman

Smash Lord
Oh yeah I forgot I've had Monster on hold for months. I should really get around to finishing that.

I'd suggest watching anime. Try something out of your comfort zone, I think you'd like Sakura Trick. It's got some quality plot.
Nothing space dandy weird though. God I want to know what the creators were smoking when they made that series. *not that it's bad*

I'll watch it after I finish with one of my current series. I'll probably end up watching it after dropping FairyTail this week when we find out how Cana and Elfman miraculously survived a massive explosion....

PillsBuryDopeBoy

Führer President King DopeLord The VI
3DS FC
3325-3900-7222
lolol everything was so calm..... WTF HAPPENED?
Real talk..... JoJo is pretty fabulous........ but not as fabulously awesome as Kuro****suji.

nessokman

Smash Lord
>he thinks i hate shingeki

well not only is he unable to debate, but he is also clearly not capable of reading comprehension
You DO realize I haven't put an ounce of real thought into this, ever.

actually, I think I'll start it now. No school, I have time.
lolol everything was so calm..... WTF HAPPENED?
Real talk..... JoJo is pretty fabulous........ but not as fabulously awesome as Kuro****suji.
don't be surprised, that is the cycle we've been on for a while. The thread becomes empty, someone posts, an arguement over OP breaks out, it ends, repeat.
image.jpg

Roy mustang, the only character who can look badass snapping his fingers.

Top Bottom