• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General anime thread/Anime (and manga) New OP,Edits Coming Soon!

PillsBuryDopeBoy

Führer President King DopeLord The VI
3DS FC
3325-3900-7222
There are still shadows at night with moonlight. Also shadows formed by fire/lightbulbs work.

April? What happens in April of importance?
Oh yea..... Like that time when he fought ed and co. *silly me :3*
And in april the second season of AOT is suppose to start.

nessokman

Smash Lord
Oh yea..... Like that time when he fought ed and co. *silly me :3*
And in april the second season of AOT is suppose to start.
I've googled and googled and haven't found anything on it. In face I've not even seen confirmation that that have green lit season 2.

I think the new episodes of fairytail start in April as well.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
Neat, an anime/manga thread.

I'm probably an intermediate-level anime fan. There's just so much out there. Of all the series I've seen, however, I'd place the following in my Top 10 (in order of alphabet, and not necessarily of preference):

-Attack on Titan (I'm current on both the anime and manga)
-Basilisk
-Code Geass
-Cowboy Bebop
-Death Note
-Ergo Proxy
-FMA Brotherhood
-Monster
-Psycho-Pass
-Samurai Champloo

Right now, I'm following Kill La Kill, which is greatly entertaining (and I've seen TTGL, which was also pretty sweet). I also tried Space Dandy, which was fairly absurd. I don't know if I even like it or not yet. :p

PillsBuryDopeBoy

3DS FC
3325-3900-7222
Neat, an anime/manga thread.

I'm probably an intermediate-level anime fan. There's just so much out there. Of all the series I've seen, however, I'd place the following in my Top 10 (in order of alphabet, and not necessarily of preference):

-Attack on Titan (I'm current on both the anime and manga)
-Basilisk
-Code Geass
-Cowboy Bebop
-Death Note
-Ergo Proxy
-FMA Brotherhood
-Monster
-Psycho-Pass
-Samurai Champloo
Lolol I wouldn't even dare name all the animes/manga's ive seen........ far too much :x
But yea space dandy is alright.

I've googled and googled and haven't found anything on it. In face I've not even seen confirmation that that have green lit season 2.

I think the new episodes of fairytail start in April as well.
Sadly AoT's second season was never actually confirmed, however alot of rumors have said its suppose to come back in april-may. But again its no legit confirmation. But yea man fairy tale <3

nessokman

Smash Lord
Lolol I wouldn't even dare name all the animes/manga's ive seen........ far too much :x
But yea space dandy is alright.

Sadly AoT's second season was never actually confirmed, however alot of rumors have said its suppose to come back in april-may. But again its no legit confirmation. But yea man fairy tale <3
lol you like fairytail ? Marry me please

nessokman

Smash Lord
So true. Its gotten so good. FAIRY TALE <3
and.......... Kuro****suji <3
The nudity is what they are hating mostly on. I have a question for them though, why would they know about said fanservice/nudity. That would mean they have been reading it. They don't like it, but read it? God.

And AOT is in my top 10 favorite series because of it's art in manga/music in anime.
If you want to start in the manga right where the anime ended, it's chapter 34

Last edited:

PillsBuryDopeBoy

3DS FC
3325-3900-7222
The nudity is what they are hating mostly on. I have a question for them though, why would they know about said fanservice/nudity. That would mean they have been reading it. They don't like it, but read it? God.

And AOT is in my top 10 favorite series because of it's art in manga/music in anime.
If you want to start in the manga right where the anime ended, it's chapter 34
Oh definitely haters keep on hating >.>
But yea AOT is pretty damn awesome, and I love that its original too.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
so let me get this straight

there was jojos talk, and then it was buried under fanboys wauing over shingeki and fairy tail

*unsubscribes*

Last edited:

nessokman

Smash Lord
so let me get this straight

there was jojos talk, and then it was buried under fanboys wauing over shingeki and fairy tail

*unsubscribes*
How did I know that when I saw a post in media metropolis, that it would be you somehow rambling or otherwise hating on a popular series. Shingeki is awesome, get the hell over it.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Speaking of JoJo, I started reading Phantom Blood the other day and I understand it's not all that well received? 21 chapters in and I'm enjoying it quite a bit. I know the rest of the series is very acclaimed so I'm excited.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Sorry that asianaussie is too hipster accept Shingeki. Shame, it is a great series.
It's great if you're like 14, decent otherwise. I enjoy it for what it is, but it's in a similar boat with Guilty Crown, Sword Art, Mirai Nikki, and similar series that pander to youngsters.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
Speaking of JoJo, I started reading Phantom Blood the other day and I understand it's not all that well received? 21 chapters in and I'm enjoying it quite a bit. I know the rest of the series is very acclaimed so I'm excited.
Phantom Blood is just very tame and feels really dated compared to what comes afterwards. Battle Tendency is where it starts to become great, thanks largely to having the best JoJo.

Then Stands come in and Part 1 is just kind of boring in comparison.

nessokman

Smash Lord
It's great if you're like 14, decent otherwise. I enjoy it for what it is, but it's in a similar boat with Guilty Crown, Sword Art, Mirai Nikki, and similar series that pander to youngsters.
I believe that It's target audience is 16 and up, and from what I've seen most fans are 16 and up. I still say it is a fantastic series.
And I do hate SAO, Log Horizon stomps it in every feasible way. I plan on writing a review of several series I have finished, as I am more than likely off for the rest of the week due to snow and Ice.

Regardless, AoT is the most popular series in the world right now

Last edited:

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
I believe that It's target audience is 16 and up, and from what I've seen most fans are 16 and up. I still say it is a fantastic series.
And I do hate SAO, Log Horizon stomps it in every feasible way. I plan on writing a review of several series I have finished, as I am more than likely off for the rest of the week due to snow and Ice.

I'm probably uncultured when it comes to anime in comparison to everyone else here, but I also found the AOT anime to be great (barring a few minor quibbles).

I've also seen Sword Art Online. The first arc was alright, but the Elfheim stuff was tame stuff. If Log Horizon belongs to the same genre (MMO virtual reality), then perhaps I should look into it (as I haven't heard of it).

nessokman

Smash Lord
I'm probably uncultured when it comes to anime in comparison to everyone else here, but I also found the AOT anime to be great (barring a few minor quibbles).

I've also seen Sword Art Online. The first arc was alright, but the Elfheim stuff was tame stuff. If Log Horizon belongs to the same genre (MMO virtual reality), then perhaps I should look into it (as I haven't heard of it).
I like you.

Log horizon is the same concept, but the "If you die,you die in real life" element is not there. It focuses more on the MMO elements.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Phantom Blood is just very tame and feels really dated compared to what comes afterwards. Battle Tendency is where it starts to become great, thanks largely to having the best JoJo.

Then Stands come in and Part 1 is just kind of boring in comparison.
Yeah I hear Stardust Crusaders and Steel Ball Run are really good. Can't wait to get caught up.

Target audience and the actual consumers are a different thing entirely, but I see where you're coming from. My point was that these kind of shows give the illusion of maturity. Kids want to be like adults so they're naturally drawn into action and stuff. You develop a more refined taste later on. Non Non Biyori is some quality seinen, m8. Log Horizon is a poor man's Game of Thrones.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
I just spent like 2 weeks defending one piece from badtasters (read: nessokman) and now im a hipster because i dont venerate his edgy series?

smfh

shingeki is hardly the most popular series in the world, it's very niche and kinda dark, killing a huge potential audience

popular sure, good, sure but stop deluding yourself into thinking it's that amazing (i realise how stupid it is to ask the deluded to stop being deluded but points for trying, right?)

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I just spent like 2 weeks defending one piece from badtasters (read: nessokman) and now im a hipster because i dont venerate his edgy series?

smfh

shingeki is hardly the most popular series in the world, it's very niche and kinda dark, killing a huge potential audience

popular sure, good, sure but stop deluding yourself into thinking it's that amazing (i realise how stupid it is to ask the deluded to stop being deluded but points for trying, right?)
I would be interested in reading his reviews though.

As a substantial fan of GOT (watched the series, read the books), I'm now becoming even more intrigued by LH. Seems that a little research is in order.
Yeah it's big on politics. My only complaint is that with so many characters, screen time is all over the place. We need more Akatsuki.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
Yeah it's big on politics. My only complaint is that with so many characters, screen time is all over the place. We need more Akatsuki.
The same could be said of GOT, what with its immense cast. I've no trouble with keeping up with scattershot POVs and storylines.

I'll likely relay my impressions of LH, and all future anime/manga indulgences, in this thread.

nessokman

Smash Lord
As a substantial fan of GOT (watched the series, read the books), I'm now becoming even more intrigued by LH. Seems that a little research is in order.
Methinks some GOT research is also in order.

smfh

I would like to direct you to the number 15,933,801. That is the total manga sales for AoT in the year of 2013. That means this "Niche" series beat Kuroko’s Basketball, Magi,and Naruto. One Piece beat it by around 2,000,000. That could very well be beacuse OP is weekly as apposed to AoT being monthly, less volumes released in the year would result in lower sales.Also it is to be remembered that OP is huge in Japan, and already had a giant fanbase.

Numbers <3
Akatsuki is kinda uninteresting tbh, just watch non non biyori for your daily dose

i feel like his reviews would be reasonable but also quite biased
I would be interested in reading his reviews though.

I'll write some later. I will review manga and anime separately, I just prefer to do so.

Last edited:

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
Methinks some GOT research is also in order.
The HBO show is probably the highest-quality fantasy series ever made on all fronts. Season 4 is starting in April.

The book series currently have five out of an intended seven released. Book 6 is the upcoming one. For various reasons, the author took a long time to come out with books 4&5, and no release date for Book 6 has been announced. Could be a long time before we get it.

The show is more or less faithful to the source material, though as the seasons go on, more creative liberties are taken. And the show has to (understandably) cut out a lot of extraneous worldbuilding/history/lore.

Lastly, if you start with the books, it will greatly affect how you view the show - and vice-versa. Keep this in mind when you decide which medium to begin with.

Hope this helps get you started.

/off-topic PSA.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
i googled that and found 4 volumes of one piece sold about as much as 6-8 volumes of shingeki

manga tanks are released by page count, not chapter number, monthly vs weekly means nothing

shingeki got a very well-produced anime to ramp its sales, i guarantee it wont be second place in 2014 unless a similarly well-done anime airs

reassess your reasoning

nessokman

Smash Lord
i googled that and found 4 volumes of one piece sold about as much as 6-8 volumes of shingeki

manga tanks are released by page count, not chapter number, monthly vs weekly means nothing

shingeki got a very well-produced anime to ramp its sales, i guarantee it wont be second place in 2014 unless a similarly well-done anime airs

reassess your reasoning
Links to back that up?
And something tells me that the volumes you've seen have been out for more than just one year and thus have had more time to accumulate sales.
also, OP has it's anime to back it as well. I can say it's numbers wouldn't be near as high without it.

I guarantee you we'll have a season 2 announced by the end of this year, by december they will have enough chapters to work with.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
Last edited:

nessokman

Smash Lord
one piece's anime is continuous and therefore shouldnt cause explosive sales growth like a twocour (eg. shingeki) would

the volumes topping that chart are obviously this year's ones, whereas ALL of shingeki's (circa 2010 onwards) were on that list due to the popularity jump, so there goes your argument of being released for longer

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2013/12/01/one-piece-tops-2013-manga-sales-in-japan
Any anime, no matter how long, benefits a large portion of sales. Kids seeing the anime and wanting to buy the manga is what causes explosive sales (See:Shingeki) and in the long run contributes to a huge fandom (See:One Piece)

I highly doubt Shingeki will drop out of the top 5 next year, and when the second season is announced and starts, it could very well surpass OP. I always find sales to be one of the most interesting aspects of the industry, watching series go up and down in popularity. If I recall, in 2011, Blue Exorcist reached number 4. The anime went on a bull**** ending, and never continued.

Last edited:

asianaussie

Smash Hero
good luck with that

basically, numbers tell us one piece is too good to be beaten by anything that needed an anime to even appear on the sales listing

and you probably still think it's not interesting, how tragic

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
That's a real shame. One Piece is a ton of fun, bud.

nessokman

Smash Lord
good luck with that

basically, numbers tell us one piece is too good to be beaten by anything that needed an anime to even appear on the sales listing

and you probably still think it's not interesting, how tragic
You're a fool if you think OP would be half as popular without it's anime.

Also your counting is off.
the OP volumes there add up to ~11,000,000
the shingeki add up to be at least 15,000,000
(No calculator, added hundred thousands first to get them to millions, then added millions.)
(Did it in my head)

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
That's a real shame. One Piece is a ton of fun, bud.
When I first wanted to get into anime, I naturally first encountered the Big Three. Of them all, Bleach was the one that most appealed to me, so I stuck with that. Naturally, I've since expanded my palette, but I still have a soft spot for Bleach; I've even been following the current Quincy War arc in the manga since it began (which, by the standards of the series, is surprisingly good). As a whole, Bleach isn't spectacular, but I like it well enough.

I didn't want to get invested in Naruto or One Piece back in the day, since they both looked very goofy at the time. I hear Naruto is going through a very rough patch in its current manga arc (i.e. it sucks).

But I always hear good things about One Piece. Aesthetically, it looks like an absurd acid trip, but perhaps I'll eventually start the manga from the beginning. With 700+ chapters (IIRC), that's a fairly daunting prospect, but then again, it only means more material for me to read.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Conversely, the One Piece manga is the best it's ever been as of Dressrosa. It's a good long term adventure. One Piece is... still somewhat goofy, I'll admit. It's just part of the atmosphere and I'd say the wackiness is a good thing. It really makes you appreciate when **** goes down.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
You're a fool if you think OP would be half as popular without it's anime.
You're daft, it would easily be very popular without the anime because the manga is ****ing glorious, miles better in terms of production quality than at least a good two thirds of everything currently being serialised

Also your counting is off.
the OP volumes there add up to ~11,000,000
the shingeki add up to be at least 15,000,000
(No calculator, added hundred thousands first to get them to millions, then added millions.)
(Did it in my head)
I didnt add all the shingeki volumes, merely figured out how many it took to match one piece's four top 30 entries, congrats on being able to do addition though

Top Bottom