• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General anime thread/Anime (and manga) New OP,Edits Coming Soon!

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
If he's only seen what the new Toonami has shown, then the Davy Back fight and the very beginning of Water 7.

So not nearly enough to be able to judge One Piece's quality.

nessokman

Smash Lord
^ i like you

index anime is really terrible sometimes though

how much of it have you watched, again?
If he's only seen what the new Toonami has shown, then the Davy Back fight and the very beginning of Water 7.

So not nearly enough to be able to judge One Piece's quality.
I've seen far more than you think. I'm not sure even how much I've seen of it. I didn't start with new toonami, I have seen various episodes over the years. Methinks MORE than enough to judge it.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
I've seen far more than you think. I'm not sure even how much I've seen of it. I didn't start with new toonami, I have seen various episodes over the years. Methinks MORE than enough to judge it.
and i think you're entirely wrong

you don't even know how much you've seen, meaning your experience of the series is disjointed, entirely non-coherent and vague to the point of unmemorable

how in the world do you regard this as enough to judge anything

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
Please tell me you're not talking about the 4kids dub.

Even if you aren't, I wouldn't trust someone's opinion on a 600+ episode anime when they've seen "various episodes over the years" plus the one arc that has no impact on the series.

nessokman

Smash Lord
and i think you're entirely wrong

you don't even know how much you've seen, meaning your experience of the series is disjointed, entirely non-coherent and vague to the point of unmemorable

how in the world do you regard this as enough to judge anything
I've hated it since I was a kid, I've given it several chances. An as a general rule, if a series can't keep me interested in 10-15 episodes, it probably won't later.

Series like soul eater and death note, had me hooked in one episode, and when I first watched soul eater, it was episode 33. It STILL made me want to watch it, so I went and watched it all.
Please tell me you're not talking about the 4kids dub.

Even if you aren't, I wouldn't trust someone's opinion on a 600+ episode anime when they've seen "various episodes over the years" plus the one arc that has no impact on the series.
God no, I would rather puke up blood than watch the 4kids dub.

And I don't quite see how it had "no impact" on the series, didn't it introduce franky, who later joins the crew?

asianaussie

Smash Hero
he's talking about the davy back fight

water 7 is greatly overshadowed by enies lobby anyway

and at one point i was unable to read negima, one piece or hunterxhunter past the first few chapters, but i persevered and eventually figured out what i was missing

nessokman

Smash Lord
he's talking about the davy back fight

water 7 is greatly overshadowed by enies lobby anyway

and at one point i was unable to read negima, one piece or hunterxhunter past the first few chapters, but i persevered and eventually figured out what i was missing
I think I might wait until hiatusxhiatus finishes before I read it.

I can read nearly anything manga-wise...almost...

I need to finish the anime of "Ōkami-San & Her Seen Companions" 12 episodes. I can't remember where I was XD

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
I've hated it since I was a kid, I've given it several chances. An as a general rule, if a series can't keep me interested in 10-15 episodes, it probably won't later.
It's fine if you don't want to watch it after a few episodes, but you can't accurately judge a long running series on just a few episodes.

One of my favorite series, Hunter x Hunter, has a very slow and boring first arc, once you get past that it becomes one of the best things Shonen Jump has ever published. I'm so glad I didn't give up during the hunter exam.
And I don't quite see how it had "no impact" on the series, didn't it introduce franky, who later joins the crew?
What asianaussie said.

The Davy Back fight was an intentional break between two long arcs, and is never important in the manga after it's done.

nessokman

Smash Lord
It's fine if you don't want to watch it after a few episodes, but you can't accurately judge a long running series on just a few episodes.

One of my favorite series, Hunter x Hunter, has a very slow and boring first arc, once you get past that it becomes one of the best things Shonen Jump has ever published. I'm so glad I didn't give up during the hunter exam.

What asianaussie said.

The Davy Back fight was an intentional break between two long arcs, and is never important in the manga after it's done.
I can judge it. You are seemingly underestimating how much I've seen. For anime, as long as the studio doing the animation and author don't change, it can be said that the quality is pretty consistent. I think OP, even as a long running series. An be judged by 15-20 episodes.

I'll end up having to re-evaluate Fairy Tail's anime, because A-1 is partnering with a different studio, so the quality will be different. The concept art we've seen is seemingly closer to the manga.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
You guys are making me want to bump OP to the front of my personal queue. I was only ~200 chapters in before I drifted to some books I had been waiting on (I mostly read manga/comics between series).

As for favorite manga/anime? Idk, it's hard for me to narrow down. Roughly speaking, and in no particular order:

Paranoia Agent

Guin Saga (laugh all you want, I thought it was cool for being a reimagining of Western fantasy)

Ranma 1/2

Fate/Zero, other Natsuverse-related stuff

Darker Than Black

Death Note

Parasite

Rebirth: The Lunatic Taker (mother****ing series imploded later on, so much potential)

Berserk

Trigun

Code Geass (anime, not the manga)

Gunmetal/Battle Angel Alita (I gotta get around to finishing Last Order, despite my utter loathing of the story's overall direction)

and more

I vacillate between hearsay of what's a good series and my own curiousity.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
*blinks.*

Why are you liking my post. I pretty much agree with 99.9% of what they're saying about you.

The biggest difference between you and I is that I'm not arrogant enough to assume that a series sucks because I drifted away from it.

Smooth Criminal

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
I can judge it. You are seemingly underestimating how much I've seen. For anime, as long as the studio doing the animation and author don't change, it can be said that the quality is pretty consistent. I think OP, even as a long running series. An be judged by 15-20 episodes.
NOPE.

Nope, I just can't anymore. You can't honestly think that the quality of a series can't change at all when it's been running for over 16 YEARS.
I refuse to believe that that thought is possible. I'm done with this discussion.

I vacillate between hearsay of what's a good series and my own curiousity.

Smooth Criminal
That tends to be my approach, works very well.

My favorites would at least have both Cowboy Bebop and Gurren Lagann near the top, it would end up a pretty varied list of genres overall.
One Piece, Hunter x Hunter, Trigun, Baccano!, Black Lagoon, Gintama, and G Gundam would be on that list too.

Last edited:

asianaussie

Smash Hero
ookamisan is something i look back on fondly, but im sure if i watched it again i wouldnt like it half as much

my favourite manga series are one piece, eyeshield 21, ruroken, berserk, ippo, negima and bakuman

the series i enjoy but i feel aren't quite as high-quality are pokemon special, nisekoi, hayate, zatch bell, wagnaria, kenichi and railgun

i don't really have a favourite anime, would probably say clannad AS or gurren lagann based on how much emotion they evoked from me, but honestly, im much more about reading than watching

out of all these, the only ones i would really suggest to someone who doesnt much care for anime/manga would be wagnaria and possibly ippo (and pokemon special if they like pokemon)

no words

nessokman

Smash Lord
*blinks.*

Why are you liking my post. I pretty much agree with 99.9% of what they're saying about you.

The biggest difference between you and I is that I'm not arrogant enough to assume that a series sucks because I drifted away from it.

Smooth Criminal
I hit leik as I scrolled up on my phone.

I'd hardly call it arrogance. I didn't drift away from it, I never liked it in the first place, therefore drifting away is physically impossible.
NOPE.

Nope, I just can't anymore. You can't honestly think that the quality of a series can't change at all when it's been running for over 16 YEARS.
I refuse to believe that that thought is possible. I'm done with this discussion.

That tends to be my approach, works very well.

My favorites would at least have both Cowboy Bebop and Gurren Lagann near the top, it would end up a pretty varied list of genres overall.
Wow, 16 years you say?*insert comment about how it should have ended already here* I've seen various episodes ranging throughout the series, none of them were seemingly above average.

If it's the same studio, and it is, there won't be any large changes throughout the series. The quality might have minimalistic changes, but overall I won't go and watch the first and most recent and say "dear god the animation quality/music/voices/ have changes so much!
ookamisan is something i look back on fondly, but im sure if i watched it again i wouldnt like it half as much

my favourite manga series are one piece, eyeshield 21, ruroken, berserk, ippo, negima and bakuman

the series i enjoy but i feel aren't quite as high-quality are pokemon special, nisekoi, hayate, zatch bell, wagnaria, kenichi and railgun

i don't really have a favourite anime, would probably say clannad AS or gurren lagann based on how much emotion they evoked from me, but honestly, im much more about reading than watching

out of all these, the only ones i would really suggest to someone who doesnt much care for anime/manga would be wagnaria and possibly ippo (and pokemon special if they like pokemon)

no words
okamisan is a fun break from anything serious. As a series, it wouldn't get in my top 10. That narrator makes it my favorite comedy.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
why do you think the animation quality/music/voice acting is the reason im raving about the series

i dont even watch the bloody anime, do you think any of that factors into my thinking

have you even stopped and considered you might not have experienced enough to actually judge it? it's fine to not want to watch it, but please, stop saying things like 'i've watched 20 episodes of this 600 episode series *HAHA FUNNY JOKE ABOUT HOW IT SHOULD HAVE ENDED* i guess that qualifies me to judge it as a whole!'

nessokman

Smash Lord
why do you think the animation quality/music/voice acting is the reason im raving about the series

i dont even watch the bloody anime, do you think any of that factors into my thinking

have you even stopped and considered you might not have experienced enough to actually judge it? it's fine to not want to watch it, but please, stop saying things like 'i've watched 20 episodes of this 600 episode series *HAHA FUNNY JOKE ABOUT HOW IT SHOULD HAVE ENDED* i guess that qualifies me to judge it as a whole!'
Now was I talking to you? I think not. I was responding to Rutger.

So if, say, 20 episodes can't keep one interested, HOW THE F**K do you expect 580 more just like it to! That's what I want to know.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
rutger and i have essentially the same viewpoint, id be fine with him responding for me

you forget to mention you have watched 20 episodes on and off from completely random parts rather than a continuum (and dont mention the davy back fight, that arc is universally regarded as primarily filler). you are therefore almost certainly unaware of the greater, smaller, and sub-plots floating everywhere, as well as changes in characterisation, any build-up from backstories or any in-jokes at all, which is a huge part of enjoying any long-running series

nessokman

Smash Lord
rutger and i have essentially the same viewpoint, id be fine with him responding for me

you forget to mention you have watched 20 episodes on and off from completely random parts rather than a continuum (and dont mention the davy back fight, that arc is universally regarded as primarily filler). you are therefore almost certainly unaware of the greater, smaller, and sub-plots floating everywhere, as well as changes in characterisation, any build-up from backstories or any in-jokes at all, which is a huge part of enjoying any long-running series
one piece doesn't have what it takes to keep my interest. As I said earlier, I watched one episode (can't remember if it was 33 or 34) of soul eater and was hooked on it. That episode had literally NO action, but it still made me want to see more. Having seen most of water 7 and other various episodes of one piece at different times, none of them have had that effect.not one.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
incorrect, your experience with one piece was not enough to keep your interest

that is all you are capable of saying in your position

you have a predisposition towards wacky-ass, somewhat dark stuff, that's why soul eater, death note and shingeki no kyojin caught your interest, i don't believe they are appropriate comparisons

nessokman

Smash Lord
incorrect, your experience with one piece was not enough to keep your interest

that is all you are capable of saying in your position

you have a predisposition towards wacky-***, somewhat dark stuff, that's why soul eater, death note and shingeki no kyojin caught your interest, i don't believe they are appropriate comparisons
Yet need I remind you that fairytail, bakuman,blue exorcist and okamisan also kept my attention.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
you can praise something after reading only a few chapters, and you can say you were hooked on something after only a few chapters, but if you have the gall to dismiss something entirely after a few chapters, then i cannot take you seriously

bakuman is very interesting in its own right, and fairy tail and okamisan have fanservice, which a highschooler will doubtlessly fall to

blue exorcist is pretty good? i guess

i think it's easier just to say your hipster is showing

nessokman

Smash Lord
you can praise something after reading only a few chapters, and you can say you were hooked on something after only a few chapters, but if you have the gall to dismiss something entirely after a few chapters, then i cannot take you seriously

bakuman is very interesting in its own right, and fairy tail and okamisan have fanservice, which a highschooler will doubtlessly fall to

blue exorcist is pretty good? i guess

i think it's easier just to say your hipster is showing
What have I praised after only reading a few chapters? I have read all of my top series through.

I don't know what okamisan you were watching, the one I am has little legit fanservice, and even then it has the narrator making fun of the main character's flat chest, calling it "Fan Disservice". Both it and fairytail I like for the humor and hightheartedness. I don't care for fanservice, though I do accept it as part of the industry.

And yes, blue exorcist is good.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
please learn reading comprehension, my primary point is that you are judging a whole after seeing only a few splintered parts, which is neither feasible nor justified

im 100% ok with you not reading one piece, just stop blatantly wondering 'WHY IS IT SO GOOD WHY DOES EVERYONE LOVE IT', because you continue to refuse the only method that will give you an actual answer: reading the damn series from the start and finding some coherence in your chaos

one piece has humor and lightheartedness in plentiful supply, you can't really say that's the only reason you like fairy tail and the various 1cour comedy animes without contradicting the hell out of your position

yeah im out, enjoy your flat chests

nessokman

Smash Lord
please learn reading comprehension, my primary point is that you are judging a whole after seeing only a few splintered parts, which is neither feasible nor justified

im 100% ok with you not reading one piece, just stop blatantly wondering 'WHY IS IT SO GOOD WHY DOES EVERYONE LOVE IT', because you continue to refuse the only method that will give you an actual answer: reading the damn series from the start and finding some coherence in your chaos

one piece has humor and lightheartedness in plentiful supply, you can't really say that's the only reason you like fairy tail and the various 1cour comedy animes without contradicting the hell out of your position

yeah im out, enjoy your flat chests
also enjoy character designs more in fairytail. Overall one piece just feels meh, and how on the name of GOD it caught on and has survived in Shonen Jump this long, I will never know.

And one piece's humor, from what I've seen, feels flat. Not to say all of fairytail is perfect.its far from it, but eh.

Ima reread volume 11 of soul eater and go to sleeps.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
ok im going to cut the civility a bit

Stop ****ing badmouthing one of my favourite series, it is what kept me going during study breaks in highschool and continues to help entertain me well into my uni course. You have literally no place whatsoever to criticise a piece of media, let alone something with such jawdropping commercial success, when you have so little material to judge it from. Your standpoint is constructed from a passing glance at a much, much bigger world. If you were new to Earth and looked down upon it with a telescope, would you be able to call the describe the planet based on what you see? That is what you are doing, attempting to judge an entire world from a few choice peeks, disregarding the possibility it may be entirely different from what you personally saw. A hallmark of good media is how dynamic it can be while still maintaining what made it great in the first place, and you don't seem to understand this. I still can't figure out what you want from an animanga series.

As patient as i can be with people who just don;t 'get' One Piece, almost everyone in this vein will just give up and confine it to the 'maybe one day when I'm bored witless' pile, but you continually attempt to disparage it, as if you're putting on airs and just trying to convince YOURSELF not to read it.

I have literally zero problems with people who don't catch on to the series, but as for those who openly claim they have no ****ing idea why the series is so popular over and over, then continually refuse to fix their patchy viewpoint of the series (ie. trying to look at things from the other side)... it's infuriating to the point where my sentences drag the **** on and I just don't know where to end my rant graaaaaaaaaaaaaaawr

One Piece is not flawless, but for all of its flaws, it manages to be funny and inspiring, maintains an admirable level of perspective, continues to evoke emotion from even cynical readers using what would normally (and in hindsight) be considered cliche as ****, and just generally proves itself over and over again as a worthwhile ride, one that is simple and incredibly relatable; a great escape and an epic quest for nothing but freedom and friendship.

No doubt this post will whizz right over your head, since you're absolutely set against trying to read something that genuinely impresses me with its execution and narrative. There is no ulterior motive behind asking you to give One Piece another go, other than trying to get others to read what I consider to be the best epic shounen of our time. All in all, go ahead and ignore it, but stop attempting to judge it. The level of presumptiousness is grating on my nerves, and I can only attribute it to highschool bigheadedness.

nessokman

Smash Lord
I consider to be the best epic shounen of our time.
I recall another series.It's called DragonBall, great series. It's the series non-anime fans think of when they hear anime mentioned. It's the manga that set a standard for all manga that came after it.Yeah, that series is a true classic. Sure beats the hell out a human condom trying to find treasure.

Last edited:

asianaussie

Smash Hero
says the kid who still hasnt read one piece

i regard one piece more highly than dragon ball, which i have read in its entirety (and watched, but that's another story)

dragon ball is about a ****** half-monkey with an eternally high-pitched voice and an incredibly sex-starved **** who wants to get it on with a random desert bandit. they're searching for 7 mystical dragon orbs (testicles? eyes?) that blast out an enormous wish-granting genie who got sick of being a stand-in on the neverending story. it then later turns into a fight against space hitler, a clone made out of cells from space hitler and various monkeys (some of which time-travel), then against what you would so eloquently call a human condom, except it's not human, it's a space condom.

and it was all a ripoff of a famous chinese legend.

you can make anything sound stupid if you try, stop being an idiot

nessokman

Smash Lord
says the kid who still hasnt read one piece

i regard one piece more highly than dragon ball, which i have read in its entirety (and watched, but that's another story)

dragon ball is about a ****** half-monkey with an eternally high-pitched voice and an incredibly sex-starved **** who wants to get it on with a random desert bandit. they're searching for 7 mystical dragon orbs (testicles? eyes?) that blast out an enormous wish-granting genie who got sick of being a stand-in on the neverending story. it then later turns into a fight against space hitler, a clone made out of cells from space hitler and various monkeys (some of which time-travel), then against what you would so eloquently call a human condom, except it's not human, it's a space condom.

and it was all a ripoff of a famous chinese legend.

you can make anything sound stupid if you try, stop being an idiot
How about that "fullmetal" series? I heard it was a great series, good story, awesome character development Great art. I've never heard anything bad anywhere. I consider alchemy better than man condom punches.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
stop being a ****wit, your entire premise of attacking my subjective viewpoint with your own hilariously predictable (and subjective responses) isn't doing anything for you, especially since the world at large seems to agree with me that one piece is ****ing amazing

FMA isn't even an epic shounen, it was planned and contained from the very beginning - it is also far less exposed to a western audience, unlike one piece - the **** that is the 4kids dub was atrocious, and while funimation did a reasonable job of salvaging it, the damage was done

when something enjoys success and exposure to the degree one piece has, it's only natural moronic hipsters will talk **** about it, because it doesn't instantly enthrall them into watching 600 episodes

and if you type 'hur dur trolled you' or anything to that tune at some point, then con-****ing-gratulations, you've 'trolled' me into defending one of my favourite pieces of media fervently, have fun with your immature and generally ******** viewpoint, which im pretty certain is genuine by now

fitzawesome

Smash Rookie
One Piece is an anime that start off pretty meh but if you stick with it until the Baratie arc it get's amazing. I've noticed the same problem with a lot of long anime. Dragonball doesn't get good until the Martial Arts Tournament, Naruto doesn't get good until halfway through the Land of Waves arc, etc.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
I recall another series.It's called DragonBall, great series. It's the series non-anime fans think of when they hear anime mentioned. It's the manga that set a standard for all manga that came after it.Yeah, that series is a true classic. Sure beats the hell out a human condom trying to find treasure.
Regardless of what you think about it, One Piece is going to leave a massive impact on shonen manga. One Piece is a monster of a series, as far as I can tell it has sold more copies than any other manga, there is no way it will just disappear when it finishes.

To imply that One Piece will not become a classic that is at the very least on Dragon Ball's level, if it hasn't already, is laughable.

nessokman

Smash Lord
stop being a ****wit, your entire premise of attacking my subjective viewpoint with your own hilariously predictable (and subjective responses) isn't doing anything for you, especially since the world at large seems to agree with me that one piece is ****ing amazing

FMA isn't even an epic shounen, it was planned and contained from the very beginning - it is also far less exposed to a western audience, unlike one piece - the **** that is the 4kids dub was atrocious, and while funimation did a reasonable job of salvaging it, the damage was done

when something enjoys success and exposure to the degree one piece has, it's only natural moronic hipsters will talk **** about it, because it doesn't instantly enthrall them into watching 600 episodes

and if you type 'hur dur trolled you' or anything to that tune at some point, then con-****ing-gratulations, you've 'trolled' me into defending one of my favourite pieces of media fervently, have fun with your immature and generally ******** viewpoint, which im pretty certain is genuine by now
Correction, the world is t obsessed with one piece. The rest of the world has mixed opinions from what I've seen

Xyzz

Smash Champion
The "world" has mixed opinions on everything, duh. Although it appears that on average people tend to be rather fond of One Piece (indicated by tons of sold exemplars of the manga, airing on western television, ...)

if a series can't keep me interested in 10-15 episodes, it probably won't later.
I also have to disagree here... If a series isn't done in 10-15 episodes, chances are I am not going to watch it at all :D

nessokman

Smash Lord
The "world" has mixed opinions on everything, duh. Although it appears that on average people tend to be rather fond of One Piece (indicated by tons of sold exemplars of the manga, airing on western television, ...)

I also have to disagree here... If a series isn't done in 10-15 episodes, chances are I am not going to watch it at all :D
Sales for manga are usually counted for Japan alone, and therefore do not contribute toward the notion that the world is fond of it.

You said earlier that you hear a lot of **** about naruto and bleach, but you don't hear much bad about OP. This was more of a reference to that. FMA is a great series, and I for one have heard more bad things spoken about OP than FMA.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
mfw my only long running shounen series has been Dragonball and Dragonball Z

I feel like I just walked in on a pair of pitbulls fighting

Xyzz

Smash Champion
I still haven't seen any, and will not (unless FMA:BH already counts for long running) ... waaaay too time-intensive for what it offers (: (I actually read a few chapters of One Piece and thought it was fairly fun, but somehow failed to continue)

Also did you perchance misspell Chihuahua? (Scnr :D)

Top Bottom