• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

GaW vs Ness

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
Uh, no, that's not what I said or implied, *at all.* "Good day", and don't skip English class.

Lol at you editing your "Good day" comment out. While you're at it, edit out the rest of that statement because you made a poor assumption about what I was saying.

Also, if you just PKT2 without going below the stage (assuming Ness has to PKT2), G&W can just wait by the edge and edgehog Ness. If Ness goes above the stage, he can enjoy eating a free G&W aerial.

To Mr. Esc (because I never saw any of that since apparently it wasn't posted in this thread; show me if it was), hit the yo-yo and then hit Ness. Or, just hit the yo-yo to reduce it's range. It is not that hard. I am almost 100% positive that G&W's dtilt outranges Ness's Usmash, and as for Dsmash, you're either going to get a ton of lag from the front or a ton of lag behind him. Either way, if you just hit the stupid thing, it'll shrink in range (when it's charging); otherwise, you can just hit him.

Besides, crappy yo-yos aside, what else does Ness have that can outrange G&W? When I say X outranges Y, if Y has a single move that *barely* outranges X as opposed to X outranging everything else Y has, X > Y in range, especially if the only single time Y can outrange is with something like Ness's Dsmash. Whoopee, and it's very marginal at that.

cutter

Smash Champion
Should I generate another wall of text?

nah

In my opinion, it's not that easy to bucket ness while he's recovering ( Experienced Ness Players at least). Ness has plenty of ways in which he can avoid being bucketed ( i.e Just avoid using PKT2 below the stage). Spacing has also a lot to do with this. If a Ness player knows the range of G&W first and second jump, they can easily space the PKT2.

Well, you are practically assuming that Colin just PKT2's and Back Throws. Which, to an extent, is not entirely true. Those may be his main killing moves, but Colin uses a variety of attacks during his matches.

Good Day.
Colin doppelganger?

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
Or maybe your G&W is just weak. Blatant advantage to G&W. Zelda > Ness fo realz.
Or maybe I'm just too good and you are bad at fighting G&W?

There's no way in the hell this is an even fight, and if you believe this is an even fight, you should probably start playing Ness players around your level, no offense or flaming intended.
I'm really confused as to why you say this directed at me, when I never said once that it should be even. I personally think it's 7:3 (not a hard counter, and I think Marth and Snake do better against Ness than G&W does), though I did add in 6:4 though thats not what I personally feel from my experiences and etc, but I do talk with Colin a lot, so I'm being courteous towards him, since I knew he would jump into the topic as soon as people said it was a 9:1 advantage :p

But really, don't make stupid assumptions about how I play. I don't have trouble playing Colin. I don't get mindgamed to hell and back. I'm certainly also not a bad player. I never said it was even, I argue with Colin all the time, etc etc you smell.

^ Edit in: I don't mean to make that all sound so harsh, just the way you replied to me was pretty rude, I felt.

Now, Shaky posted that quote on his own agenda, though I was talking with him. That isn't the only thing that Outranges G&W on the ground, the Bat also outranges the Dtilt by a great deal. If you really want to be picky, Chef outranges that, but PKT(2) beats all. I don't see why this is even considered as G&W's and Ness' ground play is mostly defensive and reactive (Ness' Running Grab is a great player in this, though thats not really what either of us are talking about, shooo). They are both aerial fighters, and Ness' Fair can be really tricky against the Turtle, beating it in startup and end time. In fact, this whole thread started because a G&W user ran into the Fairs ability to challenge the turtle and him not being sure about it. G&W doesn't completely shut down Ness' air game, though I'm not arguing the advantage here.

^Edit in: The dash attack also is another move that outranges G&W on the ground, but what I said still stands; Their ground play is defensive and reactive.

My biggest issue is with you thinking Ness is shutdown solely by the Bucket. He isn't (though PKFire is a free bucket fill). Gimping is a rare occurence when the Ness actually knows when and where to use his second jump and PKT2.Bucket gimping requires you to be really close, despite the range of absorption because Ness twirls it behind him and you end up only getting the tail. This makes it harder to absorb because it's a much smaller time frame to work with, and Ness can easily throw out an aerial in response to your approach. G&W is, however, ridiculously good at punishing the falltime part of the PKT2 through clever use of his Uair and other aerials.

Anyways I'm only posting because you replied to me. Twice. One was a quote from Shaky from Irc #Smash. The first quote was me being silly (I thought the all hail Colin the king part gave it away;I guess not), because I don't really believe Ness > Zelda @____________@

(P.S. to Cutter: Shaky isn't a Colin clone. He's pretty good but not the real deal. The difference is Colin is very clever with his use of PKT(2), while Shaky utilizes the Yo-Yo a lot more. And if you make a long post Colin will crush you, I wager, though he isn't around now)

ColinJF

Smash Ace
I hope everybody is looking forward to Mark II of this thread on the Zelda forums. (Just kidding.)

Also I crush MrEsc. He's weak.

Zelda is trash by the way.

Neb

Smash Lord
ok u guys at this point are seriously over thinking this matchup
This, and...

Forget gambling the bucket gimp.
Just upb/uair.
The second he says "PK Thu-", toot-toot.

I recommend Upb, gives Ness less room to DI back to the stage, plus you have a safety net with your invincibility frames.

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
Or maybe I'm just too good and you are bad at fighting G&W?

Fought many of them with "trashy Zelda" at a tourney about a week and a half ago and won $140. Guess they sucked too, because Zelda is supposed to lose out as badly as Ness does. Oh well. I just didn't bother with Ness.

I'm really confused as to why you say this directed at me, when I never said once that it should be even. I personally think it's 7:3 (not a hard counter, and I think Marth and Snake do better against Ness than G&W does), though I did add in 6:4 though thats not what I personally feel from my experiences and etc, but I do talk with Colin a lot, so I'm being courteous towards him, since I knew he would jump into the topic as soon as people said it was a 9:1 advantage :p

You should probably stick with 7:3, then. That's what I say it is at best. I just do not see why Ness should be 6:4 or even.

But really, don't make stupid assumptions about how I play. I don't have trouble playing Colin. I don't get mindgamed to hell and back. I'm certainly also not a bad player. I never said it was even, I argue with Colin all the time, etc etc you smell.

Well then if you don't get mindgamed, then why are you even considering this to be 6:4 or even? IF you're not getting mindgamed by Ness frequently, what is he doing to you that makes you think otherwise? I also never said you were bad; I did say, however, based off of your general apparent stance, that Colin is probably just a really good Ness player and makes the match-up look not as bad for Ness as it really is. He believes it's even; I obviously do not believe that. The difference between the two of us is that I'm willing to bet that he's played more G&Ws with Ness than I have and the G&Ws he has fought were around the same level of skill as the ones I fought. Perhaps they were better or worse, but in any case, our personal experiences are probably different when we use Ness vs. G&W, but I believe that it's at least 7:3.

The fact that you disagreed with me originally (as in, when I said it wasn't 6:4 and that it was at least 7:3, hence by "hard counter") meant to me that you thought it was also even, just based off of your posts. If you say it's 6:4, then fair enough, but honestly, what makes you say it's 6:4?

^ Edit in: I don't mean to make that all sound so harsh, just the way you replied to me was pretty rude, I felt.

The most sugarcoating you'll get out of me is "no offense."

Now, Shaky posted that quote on his own agenda, though I was talking with him. That isn't the only thing that Outranges G&W on the ground, the Bat also outranges the Dtilt by a great deal.

Try "they have virtually the same range." Seriously, do you even use your dtilt?

If you really want to be picky, Chef outranges that, but PKT(2) beats all. I don't see why this is even considered as G&W's and Ness' ground play is mostly defensive and reactive (Ness' Running Grab is a great player in this, though thats not really what either of us are talking about, shooo).

Oh, so if a move is designed to be "defensive", then it can't be used as an offensive move? Marth can play defensive on the ground, so does this mean his moves are meant to defend and not attack? Please. You can go on the offensive with either characters' ground attacks, and it is very unlikely that you will not. It's considered because it's part of their move set. Last time I checked, Ness and G&W didn't float in the air 100% of the match and only used aerials.

They are both aerial fighters, and Ness' Fair can be really tricky against the Turtle, beating it in startup and end time.

Isn't a properly spaced G&W bair one of the most difficult aerials to get through? Ness's fair is good, but unless Ness hits first and fast, he'll get hit and will be stopped.

In fact, this whole thread started because a G&W user ran into the Fairs ability to challenge the turtle and him not being sure about it. G&W doesn't completely shut down Ness' air game, though I'm not arguing the advantage here.

No, it doesn't completely "shut it down." If I said that somewhere (doubtful, but possible), then that's not what I meant. G&W, however, does have a comparable airgame to Ness's, and overall, they're probably a bit better than Ness's. Doesn't mean that Ness's is bad, but just about all of G&W's aerials can be problematic on Ness.

^Edit in: The dash attack also is another move that outranges G&W on the ground, but what I said still stands; Their ground play is defensive and reactive.

Yeah, it's a decent attack. Isn't safe at all on block if you don't space it properly though. (Spacing it properly, however, gives the other person a bit more time to react though, sadly.

My biggest issue is with you thinking Ness is shutdown solely by the Bucket.

You must be talking to the wrong guy, because I never said that G&W's down B is the SOLE REASON as to why Ness has a hard time here. Ever.

He isn't (though PKFire is a free bucket fill). Gimping is a rare occurence when the Ness actually knows when and where to use his second jump and PKT2.Bucket gimping requires you to be really close, despite the range of absorption because Ness twirls it behind him and you end up only getting the tail. This makes it harder to absorb because it's a much smaller time frame to work with, and Ness can easily throw out an aerial in response to your approach. G&W is, however, ridiculously good at punishing the falltime part of the PKT2 through clever use of his Uair and other aerials.

Ok, so you're telling me that it's harder than it sounds. Fair enough, because as Ness, I don't get gimped as much as people try to make it sound either. This neglects nothing about the bucket's ability to gimp, however.

Anyways I'm only posting because you replied to me. Twice. One was a quote from Shaky from Irc #Smash. The first quote was me being silly (I thought the all hail Colin the king part gave it away;I guess not), because I don't really believe Ness > Zelda @____________@

Of course I knew you were being silly. Why do you think I made that first sentence separate from the rest of that post? Come on now.

(P.S. to Cutter: Shaky isn't a Colin clone. He's pretty good but not the real deal. The difference is Colin is very clever with his use of PKT(2), while Shaky utilizes the Yo-Yo a lot more. And if you make a long post Colin will crush you, I wager, though he isn't around now)
Faaaanboy.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
ITT: People have no idea how to use the term, "Mindgame".

Seriously. It's making me sick. How are you supposed to argue with people who don't know basic smash lingo?

Top Bottom