• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

~Gardevoir~ Most Awesome Shield-Caster Ever. Or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

aruby14

Smash Apprentice
Probably like many of you i grew up on first gen pokemon stuff and definatley was there for second gen so all these 3rd and fourth gen guys are kinda irritating

HipsterKid

Smash Ace
Sadly, if there's a Pokemon with like no chance it has to be Electivire.

I mean, other than pretty much everyone uses him, he hasn't really been "put out there."

I wouldn't mind seeing him as a pokeball, coming out and using something like shockwave but Electivre's chances are about as good as mine. :/

Mewtwo clone.

NUff said.
No, not enough said.
Reasonings to believe that?

Brawlman

Smash Ace
I have a Snake Transmission for Gardevoir!

Snake: Hey Otacon?

Otacon: Yeah Snake?

Snake: That...Thing....The green and white one...

Otacon: Y'mean Gardevoir? She may look fragile and weak, but her brain is strong enough to throw you into space!

Snake: I wasn't gonna ask about statistics!

Otacon: Then what is it?

Snake: Is that dress part of her body, or is it an actual dress?

Otacon: Focus Snake, FOCUS!

HipsterKid

Smash Ace

Otacon: Y'mean Gardevoir? She may look fragile and weak, but her brain is strong enough to throw you into space!

Hehe I could see that working out very well...
and what happened to the comics!
I want to see what happens when Gardevoir kills Fawful D:

Sinn

Smash Lord

I give this an A+ for awesome!

Brawlman

Smash Ace
Comix are on hold untill I get:

Less lazy
Less schoolwork
More focused
MOAR PIE!!!

....Or I may just turn the comic into fiction. XD

and thank you both! That's actually a question I've always wondered too. XP

Lol, I could totally see that happening... I love those transmission thingies, so many possibilities

Brawlman

Smash Ace
I has another transmission! (I dunno why everyone uses Otacon. XP )

Snake: MAN!!! She hits hard!

Otacon: Actually, it may not be a she.

Snake:........What?

Otacon: Gardevoir is one one of the few Pokemon who doesn't have a distinguishing characteristic between male and female.

Snake:....So you're saying this thing may be a GUY?!

Otacon: Apparently.

Snake: That's just disturbing.

RBinator

Smash Journeyman
Brawlman, I may be able to help with the pie. Not sure about everything else on the other hand.

:laugh:

No really, what is the case? *attempt at bait to start a discussion to keep topic alive for no actual reason*

Is it wrong that I'm totally aroused by this?
Off-topic: Are you by any chance familiar with Yu-Gi-Oh! The Abridged Series?

Shadow Calibur

Smash Ace

THAT, my friend, is full of WIN to the infinite power! :chuckle:

Fawriel

Smash Master
Otacon: "Snake, what is it?"

Snake: "I can't... concentrate."

Otacon: "It's the mental powers. Focus, Snake. You must oppose her with a strong wi-"

Snake: "That's not it..."

Otacon: "What's wrong, Snake?"

Snake: "She... reminds me of my former dance teacher..."

Otacon: "............... oh."

Snake: "..."

Otacon: "..."

No really, what is the case? *attempt at bait to start a discussion to keep topic alive for no actual reason*
Welllllllllll. It's... erm.... part of her. ... which may or may not be due to censorship.
Off-topic: Are you by any chance familiar with Yu-Gi-Oh! The Abridged Series?
Brains!

HipsterKid

Smash Ace

Otacon: "It's the mental powers. Focus, Snake. You must oppose her with a strong wi-"

Hehe I could so see that one happening.
I could see Snake blushing and Otacon turning away in a kinda "WTF" Face.

MysticKenji

Smash Master

I'm pretty sure it's a part of her...

LOL Good one.

FiErCe_oNi

Smash Lord
i am against gardevoir on the grounds that the most powerful psychic pokemon is already (probably) going to be in, so what could gardevoir add that mewtwo cant?

gardevoir seems to be a sort of guardian pokemon, so she would be best suited as a powerful pokeball pokemon or assist trophy. she wouldnt be fighting for anyone if she was her own character.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
What would Solid Snake say when he encounters Gardevoir?

Snake: Otacon, what is that thing? It doesn't look human at all.

Otacon: That thing is a Gardevoir. It's known as the embrace Pokemon, which exists in the Hoenn region.

Snake: Doesn't look so tough.

Otacon: Don't underestimate it Snake. It may be weak in close range fights, but its long range attacks are quite powerful. After all, it possesses psychic powers.

Snake: Psychic powers...

Otacon: Its throws are also quite strong. If you get grabbed by it, you could be in trouble.

Snake: Looks like my best bets of beating it is if I attack it directly. In fact, I'm curious about how it gets those powers.

Otacon: Some things are best left a mystery Snake.​

Fawriel

Smash Master
i am against gardevoir on the grounds that the most powerful psychic pokemon is already (probably) going to be in, so what could gardevoir add that mewtwo cant?

gardevoir seems to be a sort of guardian pokemon, so she would be best suited as a powerful pokeball pokemon or assist trophy. she wouldnt be fighting for anyone if she was her own character.
That's actually some of the best arguments I ever heard against Gardevoir. In fact, possibly the only decent ones that exist.

Well, the first one was half-decent. If you compare Pikachu to, say, Magnemite, I'm not sure whether anyone would get the idea the two could be in any shape or form similar, but, Mewtwo and Gardevoir also happen to have somewhat similar stats except Mewtwo's are higher.
However, it's not like Sakurai really seems to give a **** about what a Pokemon is really like and decided to make Pika's strongest attack physical while Mewtwo's greatest strength is his recovery, which sorta makes him better at not dying except that it doesn't.

In the end, the similarities between them are really not much larger than those between Mario and Peach, who both have a somewhat-slightly-almost similar color scheme and are ( probably? ) of the same species, which can't even be said about Gardy and Mewtwo.
So in essence the only real similarity is that they could be given similar powers if the designer happened to be a drooling 5 year-old who has no understanding of how to design a good video game.

However, if you'll ignore the fact that their passports say "psychic" and funny people who care about the metagame call them "special sweepers", you'll realize that Gardevoir is something like this, while Mewtwo is more along the lines of THIS.

That said, I rest my case about that one.
I also blame the style of that post on watching reviews by the aptly named "Zero Punctuation", but I regret nothing.

As for the second point, that depends entirely on what Sakurai would make of her in Supspace Emissary.

FiErCe_oNi

Smash Lord
basically, i think that mewtwo is like the god of the psychics, and when you have the god, whats the point of having any of his followers? they only have a portion of his strength. they cant compare. i guess this isnt a plausible reason for gardy to not be a character, but its enough for me to be against her

:034:

Smash Hero
basically, i think that mewtwo is like the god of the psychics, and when you have the god, whats the point of having any of his followers? they only have a portion of his strength. they cant compare. i guess this isnt a plausible reason for gardy to not be a character, but its enough for me to be against her
Good point, but we do have Pikachu and Pichu in Melee. Pichu is the prevolution so inferior, so what the hell? And if you were right, wouldn't we have gotten Raichu instead? And even so, wouldn't we get Zapdos or Raikou? It's not because of their types, but the genre and generation they represent. Where Pikachu represents the whole Pokémon Series, and Pichu representing the 2nd Generation, Gardevoir will represent the 3rd Generation.

LightLink17

Smash Apprentice
Good point, but we do have Pikachu and Pichu in Melee. Pichu is the prevolution so inferior, so what the hell?
Yep.

Anyway, Gardy is better than Mewtwo. She hasn't bee defeated by the power of love and thunderstrike. :p

And she's better lookin.

Drascin

Smash Journeyman
Yep.

Anyway, Gardy is better than Mewtwo. She hasn't bee defeated by the power of love and thunderstrike. :p

And she's better lookin.
Actually, Mewtwo has only been defeated by the power of Plot-Induced Stupidity, in both of his films. It's actually kind of enervating.

But anyway, I'm with Faw and Dutchman. Gardevoir and Mewtwo are really as different as two psychics can get. They're emotion vs reason, so to speak :)

LightLink17

Smash Apprentice
Actually, Mewtwo has only been defeated by the power of Plot-Induced Stupidity, in both of his films. It's actually kind of enervating.
I suppose. The plot induced stupidity allowed him to be "defeated" with the power of love and thunderstrike (mostly love).

It's actually a running joke with my smash-buddies that Pikachu is actually the strongest pokemon, because in the show and films, he seems to be able to beat anything with thunderstrike and love.

"The Strongest Pokemon" in general is a running joke, to where Samus could be "The strongest Pokemon" if I win when somebody was any other pokemon in melee. Samus is the strongest pokemon quite often, unless Fox or Falco is.

Can't wait till Gardevoir is confirmed so she could be The Strongest Pokemon. :laugh:

She'd win everything.

Brawlman

Smash Ace
Hey! Looks like we have another supporter! welcome to the club Light Link!

I have a feeling that Meowth will be deconfirmed soon....Making the top 2 contenders Lucario and Gardevoir.....THE WAR IS ON!!!

HipsterKid

Smash Ace
Hey! Looks like we have another supporter! welcome to the club Light Link!

I have a feeling that Meowth will be deconfirmed soon....Making the top 2 contenders Lucario and Gardevoir.....THE WAR IS ON!!!
I'd watch what you put. You might get "flamed" by a Blaziken supporter saying it has a chance too.
I'm so glad Platnum's "NO Falcon for Brawl" thread was finally closed...
Could you actually replace C. Falcon with Blaziken??
The nerve...

Al Calnos

Smash Journeyman
Weird, I keep coming in here and lurk around...

Anyways, I stopped playing Pokemon after Gold version, so I don't know or care that much about 3rd and 4th gen, but if Gardevoir and Lucario can offer unique gameplay then I'm all for them.

FiErCe_oNi

Smash Lord
pichu was a failure though, and even if it didn't suck, i still would've seen it as a waste of space, like i'd probably see gardy. anyway, the pikachu in smash seems to be based on the anime pikachu, which is supposedly just about the god of electric types. its more powerful than other raichu at least.

well i think the whole generation representation theory is BS. sakurai already kinda added 3 pokemon from first gen as characters, so he doesn't seem to care about what gen pokemon are from.

anyway, i'm not doubting that gardy couldnt be unique. its the same thing with pikachu and pichu. why have one of pikachu's petty worshippers when you could have other characters that auctually deserve spots?

oh yeah, and about this whole thing of gardy representing emotion... wah? where did that theory come from?

LightLink17

Smash Apprentice
Because some are crappier than others. And as everybody here has said, Mewtwo and Gardevoir are as different as two pokemon who just happen to share a type could possibly be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom