• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ganondorf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kamiko

Smash Ace
I also enjoy the sophisticated ambiance he gives off (by playing that beautiful organ). It is difficult to describe, I just enjoy every aspect of his character.
Yes! Things like that, and it's his own theme of all things. Everything he does has this odd combination of class and power that other characters just can't compare to.

Hexaped

Smash Journeyman
Surprisingly, this is not the character we refer to as "King of Red Lions." I would enjoy jumping and rolling around with Ganondorf in SSB4 if he had such hair.

D

Deleted member

I rather like HW Ganondorf; he looks like a mix of his TP self and Demise.
That being said, I doubt he'll look like that in Smash. Link, Zelda, and Sheik retain the Brawl/TP designs, so I expect Ganondorf to do the same.

However, his fighting style in HW gives me more hope that he gets revamped while the "Captain Ganon" style gets passed on to Black Shadow.
Granted, Sheik isn't a kunai-slashing magic harp-playing fighter and Zelda isn't a rapier-swinging, magic baton-wielding fighter in Smash, but they weren't borrowing a style from a previously existing Smash character that has no relation to the Zelda franchise.

Hexaped

Smash Journeyman
Ganondorf's use of two swords reflects how the Gerudo fight in OoT (though he used two swords before). Dual swords can be considered a Gerudo trademark in TLoZ. I hope HW Ganondorf receives a slash animation, like the twirling leap, which directly reflects the fighting Gerudo. He probably already showed one during the Direct. Perhaps this Gerudo connection will be somehow emphasized in HW.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Ganondorf's use of two swords reflects how the Gerudo fight in OoT (though he used two swords before). Dual swords can be considered a Gerudo trademark in TLoZ. I hope HW Ganondorf receives a slash animation, like the twirling leap, which directly reflects the fighting Gerudo. He probably already showed one during the Direct. Perhaps this Gerudo connection will be somehow emphasized in HW.
And also, of course, OoT Ganon.

Really, the idea of Ganondorf incorporating some elements from his Ganon form is one of the main reasons I want him to have a trident. I personally prefer that over twin swords, but I'm fine with either.

SmashBroski

Smash Ace
NNID
BookerDewott
3DS FC
1907-9072-8026
I wonder if Ganondorf will receive a "Bowser treatment" and get good once more.

I'd love if they incorporate swords for some of his attacks (kind of like how Ness uses his bat and yo-you for some attacks), magic for some specials, and bare knuckle brawling like his good ol' partner Captaion Falcon.

In short, I really hope the development team can re-envision Ganondorf to further differentiate himself from Captain Falcon.

Hexaped

Smash Journeyman
@ SchAlternate SchAlternate Ahh, yeah! I forgot! I wonder what inspired HW Ganondorf's other sword, if the design was inspired by anything.
EDIT: This other sword resembles the WW swords because of how it's edge is cut. But this was probably an unintentional connection. I am looking for images of Ganondorf's various weapons to find similarities.

Last edited:

Turokman5896

Smash Lord
I don't know of this has been posted here but... Strong language warning!

I really hope we get a hw skin or maybe even free dlc... Hopefully he'll get those dual swords though.

Last edited:

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
Well still after seeing the tape on Monday...

We should totally see a reveal trailer that day revealing both of these guys.

ThatLunaticFeline

Smash Journeyman
In my opinion, Ghirahim and Ganondorf will get into the game. It'd be dumb not to include such an iconic character as Ganon in the game, and we need a proper newcomer for the franchise. If Fire Emblem, a second-party franchise, gets 4 characters, then it'd be criminal to under-represent Nintendo's third-largest IP (after Mario and Pokemon).

Turokman5896

Smash Lord
In my opinion, Ghirahim and Ganondorf will get into the game. It'd be dumb not to include such an iconic character as Ganon in the game, and we need a proper newcomer for the franchise. If Fire Emblem, a second-party franchise, gets 4 characters, then it'd be criminal to under-represent Nintendo's third-largest IP (after Mario and Pokemon).
Both zelda and dk are underrepresented in my opinion. They need some serious love, and a revamped Ganon+Ghirahim is the perfect way to give zelda some love.

ThatLunaticFeline

Smash Journeyman
Both zelda and dk are underrepresented in my opinion. They need some serious love, and a revamped Ganon+Ghirahim is the perfect way to give zelda some love.
Agreed, and I'm quite confident in believing that we will get another DK character as a hidden character. The popularity of the new Donkey Kong Country games should be more than enough to warrant a new Kong (or K. Rool, as some would believe).

I'm also quite upset to be sure that Ganondorf won't get reworked. Luigi had a whole year dedicated to him in 2013, and yet right now there doesn't seem to be any confirmation of any changes to him - the same goes for Toon Link, who could quite easily have at least a new Final Smash, but nothing is confirmed as of yet. Even Lucina (who is, let's face it, Roy) has very little noticeable change from her more masculine earlier incarnation.

But it could be argued that the new character customization options are a step in the right direction for an independent moveset for Ganon, and I'd say that this is the most likely piece of evidence that he'll be a unique character, yet unless we count Hyrule Warriors (which I believe it far too recent of an announcement to have any impact on Smash) then Ganon really didn't do anything strikingly unique in Skyward Sword. He got very little screentime at all, and what he did have consisted only of a basic swordfight and some kicks. There isn't enough content here to provide for what will at the least be 2 or 3 new specials.

Another argument for Ganon's likely clone status is the potential of Ghirahim. If he were to be added (and I think he will, his specials are clear and would work), I doubt his Final Smash will be a transformation into his shiny black form - instead, I think he'll become Demise's sword, like he did at the end of Skyward Sword, and Demise will do some big sword combo with him. Since Demise is Ganondorf's ancestor it could be argued that he'll likely not appear (and if he does, it will be in Ganon's place) but I don't see any other clear Final Smash for Ghirahim, unless it's a one-hit-KO Greninja and Metaknight-style kill where he creeps enemies out with his over-the-top campness and his freaky tongue. The point here is Ghirahim was Demise's sword, so if Ghirahim does appear in the game it's likely that Ganondorf/Demise won't have one.

Just some thoughts.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I just think Melee/Brawl Ganondorf's moves should go to Captain Falcon as customizable specials.

Ganondorf should keep a few of his moves as options (namely his up B and side B), but other than that, he should get several changes.

Also, Ghirahim isn't happening, lol. And if it is, welp, Smash finally got a one-off character.

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
I just think Melee/Brawl Ganondorf's moves should go to Captain Falcon as customizable specials.

Ganondorf should keep a few of his moves as options (namely his up B and side B), but other than that, he should get several changes.

Also, Ghirahim isn't happening, lol. And if it is, welp, Smash finally got a one-off character.
Right, because Greninja isn't currently a one-of, and Hyrule warriors will make more than a one-of out of Ghirahim.

ThatLunaticFeline

Smash Journeyman
If there's going to be a new Zelda rep, there is no better character than Ghirahim. And people HAVE been clambering for more villains...

EDIT: And don't forget his theme song too! That should be reason enough to get him into the game. A battle between Ghirahim and Ganondorf on Final Destination with that music playing? Literally epic. Don't deny it.

Last edited:

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Right, because Greninja isn't currently a one-of, and Hyrule warriors will make more than a one-of out of Ghirahim.
When has a Pokémon never reappeared in a future generation=???

Also, Hyrule Warriors is a Dynasty Warriors game. That doesn't count, lol.
If there's going to be a new Zelda rep, there is no better character than Ghirahim. And people HAVE been clambering for more villains...
There are no such things as a "rep" in the first place.

We don't play as reps, we play as playable characters.

Also, villain clamoring isn't a sole reason to rely on. Only gameplay and relevancy (as in they aren't some obscure character, like say Link's Uncle in ALTTP; not this "oh, this franchise doesn't matter" crap) matters, especially gameplay.

I don't see why Ghirahim would get in, because gameplay-wise he offers less than Midna (a more popular character) and Zant (a more popular character) from a more popular Zelda game, and yet, neither of them are playable.

Also, Demise, Impa, and Tetra trivialize Ghirahim with popularity and options (given that Tetra and Impa could both be Sheik clones, Demise could be a Ganondorf clone).

It also doesn't help that Ghirahim is the next Zant, who was the next Vatti, who was the next whatever the villains in OoA/OoS, who is the next Skull Kid, who was the next Aghanim, who is the next Dark Link.

Turokman5896

Smash Lord
When has a Pokémon never reappeared in a future generation=???

Also, Hyrule Warriors is a Dynasty Warriors game. That doesn't count, lol.

Also, villain clamoring isn't a sole reason to rely on. Only gameplay and relevancy (as in they aren't some obscure character, like say Link's Uncle in ALTTP; not this "oh, this franchise doesn't matter" crap) matters, especially gameplay.

I don't see why Ghirahim would get in, because gameplay-wise he offers less than Midna (a more popular character) and Zant (a more popular character) from a more popular Zelda game, and yet, neither of them are playable.

Also, Demise, Impa, and Tetra trivialize Ghirahim with popularity and options (given that Tetra and Impa could both be Sheik clones, Demise could be a Ganondorf clone).

It also doesn't help that Ghirahim is the next Zant, who was the next Vatti, who was the next whatever the villains in OoA/OoS, who is the next Skull Kid, who was the next Aghanim, who is the next Dark Link.
"Tetra could be a sheik clone."
Wtf?!
And ghirahim is perfect for smash, but this is about ganondorf, and why he deserves a beastly new moveset.

ThatLunaticFeline

Smash Journeyman

I see your point, but Midna, Zant, Impa and Tetra could have made it into Brawl, and were put aside for characters like Wolf, who appeared in Star Fox: Assault only a couple of years earlier. I think contemporary relevancy is more of the key here for new characters (see: Greninja, Robin, Lucina) which is why characters like Shulk and Chrom had such strong bets to get in. Midna and Zant have only made a reappearance in Zelda because of Hyrule Warriors (Twilight Princess was released 7 and a half years ago), whereas Skyward Sword came out just under 3 years ago and this makes the characters fresher and more updated. If we saw the Bridge of Eldin stage in Smash 4, you could quite safely say that you expect a Twilight Princess character, but as of right now a Skyward Sword stage has been announced and that increases the potential for a character from that game.

The main discussion here, then, is between Impa, Demise and Ghirahim, the three most likely characters to be added (if one is to be put in). Sorry Groose, but impaling people on your hair is not allowed in Smash. Impa would almost definitely be a clone of Sheik, but I could actually see Impa working better as an alt. costume for Sheik, even if the names are different, but because Impa gets little-to-no action in Skyward Sword at all (save that one epic fight with Ghirahim) I can't see her being considered for a role. Demise is easily the most likely of the three to return, although I foresee Demise as an alt. skin for the inevitable Ganondorf and not a separate character in his own right, mostly because his screentime was so minimal in Skyward Sword that a lot of players may just think "who's that?".

Thus brings to me to Ghirahim, the antagonist for the majority of Skyward Sword who did effectively stand in for Ganon/Demise for the game. His playfulness, flamboyancy and cool design won him a lot of fans, arguably even more so than Zant in Twilight Princess (even though I absolutely love Zant), not to mention Skyward Sword's heavier emphasis on story than Twilight Princess, even if TP did lay down the narrative quite a lot, which solidified the character in people's memories permanently. In a popularity contest between Ghirahim and Zant, there would be quite a clear winner, I believe.

But Smash is not a popularity contest. Analysing how the two would likely fight in Smash, I think it's going to be quite clear that Ghirahim comes out on top. In Twilight Princess, Zant's frenzied attacks consisted only of two types - ranged purple orbs and wild sword attacks. His specials would probably involve a mix of the two, with a ranged attack for his neutral B, that crazy spin attack from the final fight as his side special, and maybe using one of his indisposable Zant heads to boost him up for his up B. Ghirahim, on the other hand, has more than one fight with Link and therefore displays more abilities which could be transferred into Smash, like using his quick teleport ability for recovery, his ranged pins as a side special, and a charged sword swipe as his neutral. In the game, his mobility is his biggest strength, so perhaps he could have a short range teleport attack like Metaknight's down-B.

Overally, Ghirahim is simply the most likely unique Zelda character to appear. I'll eat my hat if Groose makes it in, and I'd bet against a Twilight Princess character emerging, but outside of Demise there isn't much competition for Ghirahim.

EDIT: Yeah this should probably go in the Ghirahim thread lol.

Last edited:

PAPCGyE

Smash Apprentice
I thik Ganondorf need too change his special moves for the once he has in TLoZ:OoT, so his Neutral B could be the Gigant Black Ball, his F-B: the Shocking Ball, D-B: the groung hitting and his U-B: maybe he could just have the same UP B than Lucario.

D

Deleted member

Right, because Greninja isn't currently a one-of
It isn't.
And no, I'm not using the "X and Y are technically two different games" logic.
Pokémon Battle Trozei, The Thieves and the 1000 Pokémon, and Pokémon Art Academy have all been released before Smash. Each of which, Greninja appears (with Thieves and 1000 Pokémon featuring it as an antagonist).

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
Ganondorf will definitely return... in some way. I can see either Ghirahim or Zant following Ganon's reveal as well. I can see this going a couple ways.

ONE!!!
Ganondorf will take on the form of Demise (OG Ganon). He'll be a slow, heavy set swordsman with fast but powerful attacks. If you've played Skyward Sword, Demise's Neutral B can be the Lightning Charge to his blade, allowing his next hit to have extra damage and knockback. His game is completely on the ground. Air attacks are slow and painfully useless. He would rely soley on knockback. Plus he's heavy as FAAA- - -

TWO!!!
2. Hyrule Warriors Ganon will be used. He'll have two swords, allowing him to have great ground combos to rack up damage though, like the Demise idea, he will be heavy set, causing him to have slow movement and terribad jumping. However, he could have a better air game than Demise (attack-wise).

Three!!!
Captain Falcon could have paved the road for the old Smash Ganon's return in the upcoming character reveal.

Either way, not having Ganon as a playable character (in SOME form) would be highly disappointing considering he's the last piece of the Triforce (and Link's nemesis in just about EVERY game).

K41N570RM

Smash Rookie
Hyrule Warriors or not, I still think :ganondorf: getting some new moves, Sakurai said himself that he didn't initially want to make him a :4falcon: Clone so to speak, he wanted to represent him in the best way but sadly didn't in the end, nevertheless Sakurai is a genius. We'll just have to see come September/OctoberOctober

Sterling Ford

Smash Cadet
NNID
coolboykain12
3DS FC
5112-3516-8831
After the Hyrule Warriors Direct, Ganondolf has no reason to be a clone now.

NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484
Ganondorf doesn't even need a full moveset change, either. He'd be fine with just a few specials and standard attacks more suited to his fighting style. I'd say keep Brawl's Side B, which fits him perfectly, add Dead Man's Volley as Neutral B and some teleportation for his Down B. I have no idea what they could use for his Up B, though.

I wouldn't complain if we got a sword-wielding Ganondorf, but I honestly think that just by replacing some of his moves you could have a very unique unarmed fighter.

ThatLunaticFeline

Smash Journeyman
I think all will be revealed on the Japanese launch date of Hyrule Warriors, which is a mere 5 days from now.

However, I also read comments on the Youtbe video revealing Ganondorf's alternate costumes for Hyrule Warriors that seemed to imply there was actually less demand for Ganondorf's uniqueness as a character outside of what I'm going to call the 'hardcore' Smash community here on Smashboards.

Kamiko

Smash Ace
However, I also read comments on the Youtbe video revealing Ganondorf's alternate costumes for Hyrule Warriors that seemed to imply there was actually less demand for Ganondorf's uniqueness as a character outside of what I'm going to call the 'hardcore' Smash community here on Smashboards.
That's likely the case, but regardless of demand Ganondorf of all people has no business being a clone.

ThatLunaticFeline

Smash Journeyman
That's likely the case, but regardless of demand Ganondorf of all people has no business being a clone.
I definitely agree, but I wouldn't be upset or surprised if he didn't receive a moveset change. His style, along with Captain Falcon's, is so entertaining to watch and play that I wouldn't complain if he remained Brawl-style, but a speed boost similar to the one given in PM would be much appreciated.

Last edited:

Hokori

Great King of Evil
64 aside, Since Melee, we've had the Triforce of Courage, Wisdom, and Power all represented. Hell, Sheik is back and she's been out of the loop for awhile aside from Hyrule Warriors and previous Smash titles. Whether we Ganondorf, Ganon, or even both, the Great King is coming back. Even if adjustments aren't made to his moveset, it'd be a bad move to cast him aside.

But his return really isn't the issue, it's more about whether we'll see Falcondorf or truly Ganondorf/Ganon this go 'round. Every move doesn't need to change since I like moves like Flame Choke, that Stomp of Destruction and the Spartan Kick. He could still have new moves, but keep his same style. I just want some justice for the Dorf.

NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484
Well, seeing how many characters have new moves and how unique every newcomer (except Lucina) is, I honestly think it'd be really absurd if Sakurai left Ganondorf like he is now. As I said before, he doesn't need a completely new moveset, he just needs a few new moves to make him feel different and unique.

And Hyrule Warriors has just given us the perfect excuse for that.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
Well, seeing how many characters have new moves and how unique every newcomer (except Lucina) is, I honestly think it'd be really absurd if Sakurai left Ganondorf like he is now. As I said before, he doesn't need a completely new moveset, he just needs a few new moves to make him feel different and unique.

And Hyrule Warriors has just given us the perfect excuse for that.
He really shouldn't have been Falcondorf for two straight games in the first place, but yeah. There are definitely a few characters who have been getting the makeover treatment, and Ganondorf should be a top-tier candidate for that same treatment. Can't help but get excited when I look at the tweaks in many other characters.

Hokori

Great King of Evil

AncientArk

Smash Apprentice
It might have actually been kind of cool to have an alternate playstyle for Ganondorf, sort of like Link and Toon Link style.

AncientArk

Smash Apprentice
haha, sorry, I got teased too.

I skimmed the article and didnt even the see the last paragraph until I posted it.
Regardless, its a fairly cool 'what if' scenario if Ganondorf got reworked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom