• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ganondorf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shiliski

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4570-7099-6924
I would like Ganondorf to come back but I really hope they just revamp his moveset from the ground up.

Make him a spacing character who hits hard but might be a bit slow. He needs to use his ranged attacks to get his opponents off-balance before closing in and beating him up with his (otherwise unsafe) normals. As such, select moves of his should have slightly above average hitstun.

All ground based moves (neutral, tilts, and smashes) use the sword and have decent range. Smashes are empowered by dark magic as a visual effect.

As for the specials, that's where his magic and ranged flavor come in.
Up B: Throws his sword at a location and then teleports there. This is a callback to the LttP fight where he throws his trident and then teleports to it, and somewhat works like Zelda's Farore's Wind but with more of a telegraph and more offensive options.

Side B: A dash attack used for closing in on an opponent. If he reaches the opponent he grabs him and it works just like his current Up B. If you shove the stick up or down after starting the move you can change the angle by about 20 degrees.

Down B: This is a simple projectile reflection move using waves of dark force to push projectiles away. It also pushes people away, but it's not much of a knockback. This is important because...

Neutral B: Ganondorf holds his hands over his head and charges up a ball of dark magic, which he can then throw. It's overhead unlike Lucario and Mewtwo's charges (which are behind them) and Samus's charge (which is in front of her), so it can kinda control the space over his head. When he throws it at full charge, it's big and powerful, but it can be reflected by most weapon hits (such as a sword.) This last part may make it seem weak, but it's thematic, and Ganondorf can use his Down B to reflect it back again. That way we can finally have the epic magical tennis matches we never knew we've always wanted.

His aerials are slow but mostly use his sword, kicks, swipes, etc. Again, he should be a slow, but hard-hitting character with good spaces.

His grabs look like he's choking his opponent, the pummel is basically him surging dark power into his opponent before launching the opponent in some direction.

I'd also be okay if we swapped out the sword with his trident, which is a far more classic weapon for him to use, even if it hasn't seen a lot of love in recent games.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Am just gonna leave this here. Thank @GoldenYuiitusin and @Amazing Ampharos for this.

I'm going to end with a special surprise thing since I'm on the topic of Xion. He only actually has played smash 4 once, but he was going around distributing fliers to promote a tournament at both the Best Buy I was at and at the one in Lee's Summit. With his own eyes at the other one, he watched a little kid pick random and get... Ganondorf! Yeah, apparently random in the demo is buggy and could pull Ganondorf, and this otherwise unknown little kid at one of the least popular Best Buys was the only one who ever found something this fantastic from it. Unfortunately the player who got Ganon was apparently not very strong and just kinda mashed so it was hard to see much of how Ganon was changed, but he was based on his Twilight Princess model like in Brawl. Xion said Ganon had his Melee side special but otherwise seemed a lot like Brawl Ganon though he noted that Ganon seemed really unfinished which means that basically all the gameplay stuff has to be taken with a huge grain of salt in terms of relevance to the final product. I've known Xion for years; I can tell you he's not lying about this. So yeah, Ganon confirmed... if there was any doubt.

JFM2796

Smash Journeyman
I've always found it funny that in Melee Ganondorf and Falcon share all but one move: the forward air. Falcon has the knee and Ganondorf has the the arm swing. I figure they changed these because they thought the knee wasn't fitting for Ganondorf, but I guess they though the down tilt suited him just fine?

Only pic I could find:

Hexaped

Smash Journeyman
The use of special move variants is the one thing we required to know. Whether Ganondorf returns with the old standard moves or not, we now know Ganondorf is at least guaranteed new specials. We do not know how different and canonical these move variants are, but, a dark vortex special, which could be a simple recoloring of Donkey Kong's Hurricane Punch, would be easily created and directly reference OoT. It would be fun to use the "waves of darkness" which OoT Ganondorf immobilized Navi with.

crotch protector

Smash Apprentice
If he gets back with revamped B moves this game is like 9/10 for me straight away (Mewtwo inclusion gets it to 10). Neutral B projectile is such a no-brainer.

plzplzplzplz

Morbi

Scavenger
I've always found it funny that in Melee Ganondorf and Falcon share all but one move: the forward air. Falcon has the knee and Ganondorf has the the arm swing. I figure they changed these because they thought the knee wasn't fitting for Ganondorf, but I guess they though the down tilt suited him just fine?

Only pic I could find:
Maybe they changed it because it would be the most OP move in the game? Falcon's Knee of Justice is already one of the best, I can only imagine it with Ganondorf power and knock-back...

The use of special move variants is the one thing we required to know. Whether Ganondorf returns with the old standard moves or not, we now know Ganondorf is at least guaranteed new specials. We do not know how different and canonical these move variants are, but, a dark vortex special, which could be a simple recoloring of Donkey Kong's Hurricane Punch, would be easily created and directly reference OoT. It would be fun to use the "waves of darkness" which OoT Ganondorf immobilized Navi with.
I hope that he gets similar treatment to Palutena with 12 completely original moves. It seems as though Falcon would be fine with the "alternate" uses. Ganondorf AND Falcon both sharing the same special pools seems a little unnecessary. I suppose it is not as bad as the implications pertaining to the Space Animals.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
When I think about Palutena having 12 unique B Moves, there's absolutely NO way Ganon won't get at least 3 new B Moves;
up b
n b
down b

crotch protector

Smash Apprentice
Methinks Sakurai is showing a bit of favouritism due to having worked on Kid Icarus Uprising.

Meanwhile, Mario gets a different fireball... :/

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
So Ganondorf is in Hyrule Warriors, I get it, Sakurai and who ever is making that game are keeping hush hush about him until the right time so we can see Ganondorf revealed to be playable in both Super Smash Bros 4 and Hyrule Warriors.

JohannFKNFaust

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SamaelDevonJudd
Switch FC
SW 5644 9593 9010
If they do bring Ganondorf back, I'm praying they'll give him his own move set separate from Captain Falcon. Make him more Ganondorfy! :joyful:

WwwWario

Smash Ace
Anyone else thinking Dolfy will get revealed on August 14th? (Japanese release date for Hyrule Warriors)

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
Anyone else thinking Dolfy will get revealed on August 14th? (Japanese release date for Hyrule Warriors)
Oh that would be really nice for me, excellent healing for me, I lost my cat almost a year ago, its been hard. :crying:

A Ganondorf reveal is just what I need to lift my spirits in this time of grieving, he would of wanted to see me happy a year later seeing my favorite Super Smash Bros character revealed.

I can't control when that happens, I leave it up to God when we see Ganondorf, and I know he'll make it happen at the proper time.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Methinks Sakurai is showing a bit of favouritism due to having worked on Kid Icarus Uprising.

Meanwhile, Mario gets a different fireball... :/
With Palutena, that's really not the case. She has 12 custom moves not because "OMG bias!!" but because that is her particular gimmick which people really need to play Kid Icarus Uprising to understand.
In that game, players have a power grid which they can use to customize Pit and provide him with different abilities. This customization powers come in the form of blocks which you can fit inside your grid; because there are different sizes and shapes you have to learn to choose wisely. It is stated in-game that this powers that Pit can use are blessings received from Palutena; when you activate most of those abilities Pit will call her name and she enables it so that he can use it.
Rocket Jump, Lightweight, Superspeed, Jump Glide, Counter, Celestial Fireworks, Angelic Missile, Explosive Flame, Reflective Barrier are just a few of those powers that you can encounter in that game, and that happen to be some of Palutena's moves in Smash, after all since she provides them to Pit it is reasonable to think that she can use them for herself as well. And since there are too many I see understanble why she has more custom options than others. Just like several newcomers have their particular gimmicks, Palutena's is about customizable powers.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
With Palutena, that's really not the case. She has 12 custom moves not because "OMG bias!!" but because that is her particular gimmick which people really need to play Kid Icarus Uprising to understand.
In that game, players have a power grid which they can use to customize Pit and provide him with different abilities. This customization powers come in the form of blocks which you can fit inside your grid; because there are different sizes and shapes you have to learn to choose wisely. It is stated in-game that this powers that Pit can use are blessings received from Palutena; when you activate most of those abilities Pit will call her name and she enables it so that he can use it.
Rocket Jump, Lightweight, Superspeed, Jump Glide, Counter, Celestial Fireworks, Angelic Missile, Explosive Flame, Reflective Barrier are just a few of those powers that you can encounter in that game, and that happen to be some of Palutena's moves in Smash, after all since she provides them to Pit it is reasonable to think that she can use them for herself as well. And since there are too many I see understanble why she has more custom options than others. Just like several newcomers have their particular gimmicks, Palutena's is about customizable powers.
I understand this by playing KI:U and loving it, but am scratching my head about why Megaman wasn't the one who got this or both.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
I understand this by playing KI:U and loving it, but am scratching my head about why Megaman wasn't the one who got this or both.
Probably because Megaman has an assortment of preferred abilities over the years. We know that his defining weapon of choice is his buster of course and that one of his most beloved abilities is the Metal Blade.
Since Palutena hasn't done a ton of fighting over the years, we don't have like certain moves that say "Hey, this is something that she would do!" so they had to derive her entire moveset off a gameplay feature in Uprising. Well, this is just my speculation of course.

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Probably because Megaman has an assortment of preferred abilities over the years. We know that his defining weapon of choice is his buster of course and that one of his most beloved abilities is the Metal Blade.
Since Palutena hasn't done a ton of fighting over the years, we don't have like certain moves that say "Hey, this is something that she would do!" so they had to derive her entire moveset off a gameplay feature in Uprising. Well, this is just my speculation of course.
I can accept that, I suppose I was being a little odd with that considering Megamans moveset has such a huge variety of Robot Master moves

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
I must be seeing things, I thought I was in the Ganondorf thread...
Sorry for the divergence.

You know something I'd like to see for Ganondorf. His earth shaking punch from Ocarina. If they stick with him being a DARKNESS based monk style of fighter

D

Deleted member

"You must defeat Majin Ken to stand a chance."

I know it was Ryu that said the Sheng Long thing, but whatever.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Project M's alt looks SO off

Can't be just me, can it? The model in particular has disproportionate legs last I checked.

Last edited:

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
I always liked melee dorf's appearance better than brawl dorf's.
I think it's the nose.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I vastly prefer OOT Dorf as well but the PM alt looks...wrong.

Anything is better than DK's alt, though.

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
PM OoT Ganon looks amazing to me. Maybe you're just looking at it wrong. Or maybe it's because he isn't as ugly? :p

Last edited:

Nintendo Fan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gamer-Robert1498
3DS FC
3050-7577-7020
I actually didn't think of how much of a possibility that could be...then again they could do a different Zelda rep like Impa. LOZ is basically Nintendo's biggest franchise after Mario and it needs a new rep. That being said, they must have had enough time to by now to tinker with G-Dorf to not prolong his reveal; that is if they eradicated Falcon's incarnation.

Zelda was announced for LBW's release in Japan so I don't see a big difference in doing the same for Ganon. It would be on good timing too because of the usual wait that accompanies a newcomer (especially the influx at E3). Unless some other character decides to peep its head out from development and make the spotlight later this month. Either way, considering the game is set to release in under a year, he's either going to be announced soon or be kept a “secret” until release.

Can't wait for his artwork either–hopefully he'll look really...wait for it...

crotch protector

Smash Apprentice
Yes, video game characters get lots of abilities.

When Sakurai gives Link and Mario the same diversity in their movesets, I'll look at retracting my statement. If Palutena ends up with more diversity in her moveset than Link, who boasts over 25 years worth of items to pick from for his B moves, then you may have a little egg on your face.

I'm not judging him for favouring his own stuff, by the way. I'd probably do the same thing. I'm simply saying that he has a track record, and Palutena doesn't seem to be an exception. He gave Dedede an original moveset before Ganondorf. I mean, really.

#omgbias

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom