• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ganondorf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morbi

Scavenger
I am not entirely against his sword; however, I honestly prefer that they conceive a move-set more representative of his current form (so more magic and physical attacks, basically). I liked his sword in Melee as it was much bigger; but his new sword is more standard. I do not want a generic sword move-set to replace his generic clone move-set as that seems counter-intuitive.

Kamiko

Smash Ace
I feel the need to point out again that "physical" includes swords. I don't know why people keep acting like it exclusively refers to unarmed combat, but it doesn't.

Also, having two swords would still be the best thing ever.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I feel the need to point out again that "physical" includes swords. I don't know why people keep acting like it exclusively refers to unarmed combat, but it doesn't.

Also, having two swords would still be the best thing ever.
The context of my post was alluding to something entirely different; more or less, it made it extremely overt that I was not counting swords. Therefore that makes it an exception to my post.

Secondly; I agree with this sentiment wholeheartedly. Although, in that event, we might as well get Toon Ganondorf (which I would not mind).

Fishbowl

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Fishbowl22
I'm pretty used to his falcondorf moves, and I don't really mind anymore. A big part of his appeal for me is the feeling of being a really powerful brawler, and I love connecting huge hits with his elbow or legs.
We already have a heavy humanoid swordsman, so I'm not for giving Ganondorf any weapons.
As for magic, I would hope that they find a way to maintain his powerful presence on the battlefield. When I think magic, I think of scrawny little elf things summoning pesky fireballs and teleporting away

Kamiko

Smash Ace
The context of my post was alluding to something entirely different; more or less, it made it extremely overt that I was not counting swords. Therefore that makes it an exception to my post.

Secondly; I agree with this sentiment wholeheartedly. Although, in that event, we might as well get Toon Ganondorf (which I would not mind).
Well that was more of a general statement, not really directed at you. You just reminded me that a bunch of other people did it while was absent. They like to use "melee" in the same way too.

I'd love for Ganondorf to sort of pull a Ghirahim in Zelda U and switch his weapons up throughout the game, but sadly there's no way that would influence this coming Smash.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I am not entirely against his sword; however, I honestly prefer that they conceive a move-set more representative of his current form (so more magic and physical attacks, basically). I liked his sword in Melee as it was much bigger; but his new sword is more standard. I do not want a generic sword move-set to replace his generic clone move-set as that seems counter-intuitive.
This. I don't mind him having a couple of sword attacks, but there's plenty of potential for him to fight entirely with dark magic.

If he's going to get any weapon iconic to him, I'd rather it be WW Ganondorf's dual katanas or classic Ganon's trident. Just giving him a sword isn't enough, because its just trading one generic idea for another generic idea. He needs to use dark magic, otherwise there's no point in giving him an original moveset because it still isn't iconic to Ganondorf's traditional moves.

_Ganondorf_

The Demon King
NNID
GanonFist
I don't get why a sword moveset is generic? I think his TP sword is awesome and I'm sure it can be implemented nicely into his moveset along with dark magic and still keep it heavy hitting and aggressive. I can totally imagine Ganondorf using a sword in a very brutal manner, nothing about that image sounds generic to me...

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I don't get why a sword moveset is generic? I think his TP sword is awesome and I'm sure it can be implemented nicely into his moveset along with dark magic and still keep it heavy hitting and aggressive. I can totally imagine Ganondorf using a sword in a very brutal manner, nothing about that image sounds generic to me...
Its generic if ALL HE DOES is sword attacks. Just "giving him a sword" doesn't make him special. He needs to use attacks that he actually uses in the games to make him better. One major thing I'd like? His dark magic blast. Complete with the ability to play tennis! Make it his neutral special and allow him to charge it.

silvR1995

Smash Journeyman
NNID
silvRboLt1995
3DS FC
0834-0571-4339
Its generic if ALL HE DOES is sword attacks. Just "giving him a sword" doesn't make him special. He needs to use attacks that he actually uses in the games to make him better. One major thing I'd like? His dark magic blast. Complete with the ability to play tennis! Make it his neutral special and allow him to charge it.
Literally, just as I was coming here, I was thinking about Ganon's neutral special, and pretty much this came to mind. XD

Kamiko

Smash Ace
See this is why I had to bring up Grievous and Cervantes a few months ago. If Ganondorf fought even vaguely similarly to either of them, it would be very different than the sword users we already have.

But his B moves should definitely all be magic based, regardless of the rest of the moveset.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I kinda keep imagining it like this, though I'll probably be completely wrong:

Dual Swords like WW Ganondorf (but with TP Ganondorf's design). When he's not attacking with dual swords directly they'll float beside him. Ganondorf still very heavyweight, but slightly more floaty than before. When he jumps he can float like Peach, too.

Up+Special: Twists into the air with his swords spinning next to him.
Side+Special: Very similar to his old one, but he spins and charges forward with his swords.
Neutral+Special: Dark Magic blast; charges up like his attack in Ocarina of Time and blasts a ball of energy. Can play tennis matches like against Phantom Ganon. When a ball of energy is on the field Ganondorf will just flip his cape instead.
Down+Special: If in the air, charged down to the ground and punch it, creating a shockwave. When on the ground, creating a shockwave that gets sent along the ground only in front of him.

For his regular attacks, basically he'd fight like WW Ganondorf and occasionally mix in some of his original moveset's punches/kicks.

He grabs opponents by the neck and electrocutes them with his dark magic.

Final Smash, no longer Beast Ganon, but classic "Ganon" (preferably based on OOT with the gigantic dual swords).

Naturally, this is just how I see it. Him floating around really fits Ganondorf's classic style much better, but then again, he really only does float in Ocarina of Time (but naturally, that IS his most iconic appearance). However, throwing balls of energy in a tennis match? In every game Ganondorf appears regularly he does this, and Agahnim does it as well whom was his precursor and he was manipulating. So yeah, as his most iconic attack, that ball of energy DEFINITELY should appear.

Speaking of Ganondorf, I kinda picture him in Hyrule Warriors being able to fight with his Trident, Dual Katanas, Broad Sword, and glowing sword as well. All characters appear to have four weapons, and those are the four weapons Ganondorf uses. :D

Kamiko

Smash Ace
Normally when I think of him only using sword attacks for part of hte moveset, I think he'd have to magic them away when they're not in use or it'd look really silly. But floating swords? That'd be interesting to see. Of course most people will be all "But he never did that in any of his games!". Well he was never Captain Falcon in any of his games either.

I still think he should be equipped with something other than weapons pulled straight from the games though.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Normally when I think of him only using sword attacks for part of hte moveset, I think he'd have to magic them away when they're not in use or it'd look really silly. But floating swords? That'd be interesting to see. Of course most people will be all "But he never did that in any of his games!". Well he was never Captain Falcon in any of his games either.

I still think he should be equipped with something other than weapons pulled straight from the games though.
I don't get this idea. His weapons should reflect the games directly instead of being something totally different. But yeah, the idea of floating swords I think is a really interesting idea and could be involved in some of his attacks, too.

Kamiko

Smash Ace
I don't get this idea. His weapons should reflect the games directly instead of being something totally different. But yeah, the idea of floating swords I think is a really interesting idea and could be involved in some of his attacks, too.
Well the weapons he uses change with each game, and I don't think anything other than the Spaceworld/Melee sword actually fit him.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Well the weapons he uses change with each game, and I don't think anything other than the Spaceworld/Melee sword actually fit him.
Lol, the Spaceworld sword is never used in any games canonically. :p

Honestly, just stick with the Trident, since he uses the Trident far more often. Granted, he never uses the trident as Ganondorf, but I don't see the big deal. You could actually argue he uses dual swords twice, but the first time is as Ganon in OOT and those are different dual swords.

Kamiko

Smash Ace
Lol, the Spaceworld sword is never used in any games canonically. :p

Honestly, just stick with the Trident, since he uses the Trident far more often. Granted, he never uses the trident as Ganondorf, but I don't see the big deal. You could actually argue he uses dual swords twice, but the first time is as Ganon in OOT and those are different dual swords.
I know, I'm just saying, it's the only thing he's been shown with that I see as fitting his overall style and design. It would be nice to see canonical use of similar weapon in the future.

Now the Trident, yeah, I'm one of the people who would prefer that it be kept as a Ganon only thing, but being the most recurring weapon, it would be understandable for that to chosen.

I should probably point out that I wished Smash characters were all given original designs, not just a few.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
His swords in Wind Waker fit with Toon Ganondorf's style.

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord
I always thought rhey should keep his sideB, replace all his other specials with magic abilities, and have his A moves be sword moves (smashes can be punches I guess if people still want that.)

Oops!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
aguyudontknow
3DS FC
1693-1719-9908
I love every move that involves his feet, aside from his up tilt. Warlock Punch is fun, as is Wizard Kick, but I wouldn't be sad to see them go. His aerials are all great, except for his neutral, so I'd love for them to stay. Not really sure how I feel about his jab. I've always thought it was unique but I would be ok with it being replaced. I agree with a lot of people in that his side-B is just fine. Not really sure what his recovery could be changed to, but I'd like to see it decloned as well.

That said, I don't care if they just keep him semi-clone like Wolf and like he was in Brawl. I'm still gonna love playing as him, and I definitely don't think he'll be cut. They'd be stupid to take him out of the roster.

Trigger123

Smash Journeyman
I don't think there should be worry about him being cut, they need villains and he is the most iconic besides bowser. He will get a bowser makeover and will more than likely be faster and much more different than cpt falcon this time around. I do think it is possible that he will not be announced until the game is released unless they announce him for hype due to a drastic change.
Also
I feel he should have alternate costumes that include Twilight princess, Ocarina of time, and even Demise.

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
Not sure if you guys have seen yet, but Amazing Ampharos wrote up a very good Sm4sh demo impression. One interesing thing he noted from his friend Xion is that someone at that Best Buy picked random in the demo and got Ganondorf. It was a little kid so he mainly mashed, and his Melee Side B was reported, as well as him being very unfinished.

I'm not sure about Xion, but AA vouches for him, and hes a very credible poster. Interesting if true at any rate, and the data being in the demo is certainly possible.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Sounds cool, but without details it's kinda pointless.

So I'm gonna go with "pics or it didn't happen"

Xavier :D

Smash Ace
NNID
legend_of_xav
Not sure if you guys have seen yet, but Amazing Ampharos wrote up a very good Sm4sh demo impression. One interesing thing he noted from his friend Xion is that someone at that Best Buy picked random in the demo and got Ganondorf. It was a little kid so he mainly mashed, and his Melee Side B was reported, as well as him being very unfinished.

I'm not sure about Xion, but AA vouches for him, and hes a very credible poster. Interesting if true at any rate, and the data being in the demo is certainly possible.
As much as I'd like to believe this....it's probably fake. Wish there were video or pics.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I don't think there should be worry about him being cut, they need villains and he is the most iconic besides bowser. He will get a bowser makeover and will more than likely be faster and much more different than cpt falcon this time around. I do think it is possible that he will not be announced until the game is released unless they announce him for hype due to a drastic change.
Also
I feel he should have alternate costumes that include Twilight princess, Ocarina of time, and even Demise.
wtf where'd that render of Ganondorf come from? It looks awesome. I've never seen it before.

As much as I'd like to believe this....it's probably fake. Wish there were video or pics.
Honestly, I wish its fake. It means Ganondorf wasn't decloned.

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
Oh I'm pretty much in agreement with you both. Still, I found it interesting, and I certainly don't think AA is lying about what he heard at any rate.

I figured someone would bring it here tho, so I thought I would first and make sure to point the part where Ganondorf was clearly unfinished anyway.

Kamiko

Smash Ace
wtf where'd that render of Ganondorf come from? It looks awesome. I've never seen it before.
That's his OoT3D official art. And yeah, it's basically the best thing ever.

Rumor / leak about Ganondorf's appearance in Hyrule Warriors:

http://zelda.wikia.com/wiki/User:Ixbran/Hyrule_Warriors_Rumors_&_Leaks

It says:

So if Ganondorf is attacking with a spear, how would you guys like that in Smash?
I'd rather it didn't happen, but I won't rule out the possibility that I'll still enjoy it.

grizby2

Smash Lord

It says:

So if Ganondorf is attacking with a spear, how would you guys like that in Smash?
it'd be a huge sigh of relief. im not saying sword are generic or boring or anything..swords are great. I just think that theres so many different weapons that you can put on a character, that im surprised most of the time its a sword. sure you can use a sword in different styles, but come on.. you got axes, spears, armblades, tiger claws, whips, javelins, kusarigamas, hammers, nunchucks, khopeshes, .. heck, why not one of the FIRST weapons ever? a Bo staff (pretty much a long stick)...

swords are like cherry flavor: it tastes good, but thers so much of it EVERYWHERE.

if he uses a trident, AWESOME. though, id still very much like it if he used magic attacks. maybe it can act like a half-staff half-trident.

Oops!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
aguyudontknow
3DS FC
1693-1719-9908

It says:

I'd be cool with that. So long as it's not his only form of attacking. Ganondorf is an evil wizard and the king of thieves. He's a very multitalented individual, and I really want his moveset to display that. As long as he has at least two aspects out of physical prowess, trident- or sword-wielding, and dark magic evident in his moveset, I'll be happier about it.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

It says:

That rumor has already been debunked, it says the game will have an all-new cast except for Link, Zelda, Impa, and Ganondorf, but we've already got Midna as well and its been confirmed there will be other classic Zelda characters appearing.

The rumor also states that there will be voice acting, and voice acting is confirmed to NOT be in this game.

Although honestly I wouldn't mind Ganondorf fighting with a spear/trident. I think it'd be better than a sword.

SadisticPanda

Smash Apprentice
NNID
L4D4ever1718
3DS FC
0748-4043-7867
Give him his sword, or get out.

Heck, I don't care if they add Ghriahim instead. I'd love a Zelda newcomer and if five is the character limit per franchise, well we probably won't see any new LoZ faces anytime soon.

(Unless Sakurai pulls some strings. :smirk:)

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
@ Morbi Morbi is right, I have fun using Ganondorf, mainly because the only character we ever get to use in Zelda games is Link, in which I grown to actually dislike Link because of that.

Ok I'm just going to briefly say Falco is kind of a semi-clone too and everybody is expecting him to return, just saying Ganondorf isn't the only Semi-Clone that needs work.

@ _Ganondorf_ _Ganondorf_ I will say that moveset says one thing, sword Ganondorf is possible and its funny that hackers are making better movesets for him than Sakurai.

I don't like neutral B sword attack, he looks like King Cold doing that, lol, speaking of which anybody who played Budakai Tenkaichi 3, look at King Cold's amazing sword moveset, even freaken King Cold gets a sword moveset.

Not going to lie, the "magic mode" is kind of derpy, that's kind of what we have now.

Just give him a sword and the only non sword attacks I really want are his flame choke and A kick, his A and B left/right attacks, he can keep his Thunder Punch neutral B Attack, that's unique, and then add a few new ones, definitely have the energy ball thing he does that in like all the Zelda games, replace neutral B with that, not that King Cold sword thing he was doing in the video and the earthquake strike thing he does with his fist as a down B.

Dark Dive is kind of declined, if they got rid of the "yes" attack he does with the lightning it would be completely declined, but I don't like that move, it doesn't get enough air, I get it Ganon is heavy, and not a good jumper, but if they keep that and just got rid of the Falcon yes attack, then at least give it some more air because this move is somewhat different from Falcon's up b.

Its about time Ganondorf stops looking at his sword all like this sword is very interesting and starts using it.

Last edited:

Nintendo Fan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gamer-Robert1498
3DS FC
3050-7577-7020
Ganondorf, to me, would look cool with a moveset like Ares from Injustice: Gods Among Us. Like, for example, he could summon swords, which would basically be magic and they would disappear after the attack animation, not linger like Pikmin or something. Basically he needs his laugh from Wind Waker and just needs to be more...

Oops!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
aguyudontknow
3DS FC
1693-1719-9908
Ganondorf, to me, would look cool with a moveset like Ares from Injustice: Gods Among Us. Like, for example, he could summon swords, which would basically be magic and they would disappear after the attack animation, not linger like Pikmin or something. Basically he needs his laugh from Wind Waker and just needs to be more...
I love this idea. Having him bust out the weapons momentarily for certain attacks would allow him to gain a massive amount of moveset variety and still leaves options available for magic/melee attacks.

mini paincakes

Smash Journeyman
I don't care what weapon Ganondorf uses, I just want him to stand out as his own character. And I want him to use a magic projectile of some sort, that'd be cool.

Give him his sword, or get out.

Heck, I don't care if they add Ghriahim instead. I'd love a Zelda newcomer and if five is the character limit per franchise, well we probably won't see any new LoZ faces anytime soon.

(Unless Sakurai pulls some strings. :smirk:)
I don't think there's a limit towards characters in a franchise and I don't think that Toon Link, Shiek AND Ghirahim would get in before Ganondorf.

Ghirahim would be a cool newcomer, but I'd prefer Vaati instead.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
I'm gonna preach an idea that'll never happen but oh well.

If Sakurai intends on keeping Ganon a Captain Falcon clone, but knows that fans of the character aren't too fond of that, even though he doesn't want to get rid of the moveset by giving it to someone else, then what he can do is give Ganondorf the most custom moveset options out of anyone in the game. Yes, even Miis and Palutena.

I'm talking TWENTY-FOUR moves.

The first twelve would be the usual Warlock Punch, Wizard's Foot, Flame Choke, and Dark Dive, along with a couple of variations for each. Flame Choke would probably be able to be swapped out for Melee's Gerudo Dragon, for instance.

The other 12, however, are 4 completely different specials that are part of a set that also completely changes Ganon's normals to further differentiate him from Captain Falcon beyond just a few specials. Like, if there's a page where you normally see a fighter's 4 specials and their two variations, Ganon's page has a little tab that takes you to a separate page where a more canonical Ganondorf is available to activate and edit. The other 12 specials would be there, along with Ganondorf in a different posture to indicate to players that the Ganon that entered the match is edited to be the other, more canonical moveset.

It's a pipe dream that'll never happen in a million years but damn that'd be badass.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
It would make more sense to give him a revamped move set but leave his Falcondorf specials as custom moves.

In fact... now I wonder if that's possible for some of the characters who've received new specials...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom