• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ganondorf Patch 1.1.1 Changes

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Might as well make it since replays are dead and gone.

Changes will be listed as they are confirmed.

Buffs:
Nair: The second kick does 10% sweet spot and 7% sour spot. Sweet spot of first kick of Nair has some form of set knockback to link into the second kick better.

Nerfs:

Last edited:

MGK

Smash Apprentice
Ganondorf's Nair got buffed. The second kick does 10% sweet spot and 7% sour spot. Also, I think the sweet spot of first kick of Nair has some form of set knockback to link into the second kick better.

WwwWario

Smash Ace
Oh COME ON. Out of everything, NAIR was the only little buff he got? D: What about grab buff? Dark Dive buff? Sigh....

King9999

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mmking9999
3DS FC
2105-8754-7747
Switch FC
2722-8799-3295
Yeah, I thought both hits of nair hit more consistently. So it wasn't just placebo.

Did dash attack always negate projectiles?

Last edited:

Shmeckie

Smash Cadet
NNID
shmeckie
It may not be the buffs we wanted, but this is a pretty nice buff!

Before the buff, landing both hits of n-air got you some pretty great damage from single-digit percentages (21% from a single, fast attack). Not only has the attack been reworked so both hits link properly (it seems like the first hit actually pulls opponents in at lower %s), but the second hit was buffed! So you get both hits much more often for a bigger damage payout! And that second hit isn't the lemon it used to be!

It's not what I wanted, but dammit I'll happily take it!

Last edited:

shadowpixel119

Smash Rookie
Ganon has a dthrow combo (20-55%) that can be followed up with nair. It can possibly do 29% (tested with dark pit). Depends on the DI tho.

Last edited:

Shmeckie

Smash Cadet
NNID
shmeckie
With this buff, n-air seems to be the move to follow d-throw up with, now. Almost 30% for every d-throw.

Last edited:

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
+
Nair OoS just got a lot more effective. Hitting Ganon's shield really hurts now. More than before, as the two hits connect better.

Finally we have a fast attack that does not send the opponent miles away from you.

First hit of Nair > Grab seems easier to land now, and at higher %s.

Combo Breaking with Nair (especially when Close to the ground) will now allow Ganon to gain Footsies-momentum rather than knocking ppl away.

Edgeguarding with Nair is now even more evil than before since the first kick doesn't send ppl at a high, helpful angle anymore, but instead links into the second kick, unless they are at a high %.

Second kick (even the late part) gimps a lot harder now.

Dthrow > BDC Nair is nastier than before.

WKC > Nair is a better option than before, espeically at low %s.
This is nice since Nair sometimes comes out instead of other desired aerials when you're too eager to buffer them.

-
The last, lingering hitbox of Nair's second kick doesn't combo into aerials off stage as well as before. :(

It's a lot harder to Jab Lock with Nair now.

*Miscellaneous*

The Hit-Sound Effects of Nair are changed.

=
Overall this is a great buff for Ganon.

Last edited:

adom4

Smash Lord
NNID
adom15510
3DS FC
3179-6434-6692
We need to make Pirate ship legal fast lol:

Last edited:

Top Boss

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PizzaMonkey24
3DS FC
2449-5103-4580
how much does this help his out of shield game?

Theosmeo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LastOfTheM
3DS FC
0576-7286-5643
Does it really link better? I didn't really notice if it did... Even so Nair is already really useful so I approve, scoring a grab when the opponent is between 20% and 55% seems tough, as people stay away from Ganon anyway. Besides, 30% isn't that hard to get, gerudo>dtilt>uair, gerudo>(read roll in front)>gerudo>(read roll behind)>fsmash, nair cancel>wizkick cancel>uair.

Ganon's just too strong for the second hit of Nair getting a <5% damage boost to matter. Besides, doesn't this weaken the potential of killing with Nair, his fastest and most lagless aerial?

Last edited:

adom4

Smash Lord
NNID
adom15510
3DS FC
3179-6434-6692
So apperantly shield stun got increased, how does this affect us?

Theosmeo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LastOfTheM
3DS FC
0576-7286-5643
So apperantly shield stun got increased, how does this affect us?
Wait overall? this is probably great honestly, ganon's already amazing at breaking shields so shielding dair (which already does massive shield stun) might be able to lead into gerudo, fsmash could lead into wizkick for some seriously intense pressure, Fair to dash attack to ftilt. How mush stun are we talking though?

This might make the pac-man MU way worse than it is, shielding him is usually a good idea because of his crap grab, but with the stun this might make it harder to read.

King9999

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mmking9999
3DS FC
2105-8754-7747
Switch FC
2722-8799-3295
Increased shield stun should help us by making it harder to punish some of Ganon's moves, especially if they're spaced correctly.

Last edited:

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
Haven't tested much yet, but the hitstun bonus elevates Ganon's approach potential quite a bit.

King9999

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mmking9999
3DS FC
2105-8754-7747
Switch FC
2722-8799-3295
What I'm interested in testing is to see if there's a way to use the increased stun to cause more shield breaks. Something like a blocked U-smash to instant air Wiz Foot at the stage edge, for example (remember that the player can't be pushed off the stage while they're shielding!).

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Does it really link better?
yes

doesn't this weaken the potential of killing with Nair, his fastest and most lagless aerial?
only the frist kick is weaker - the second kick is stronger than before. And Ganon already have so many Kill Moves, so making Nair work like this instead gives him more utility.

Also, Uair is 1 frame faster than Nair, so there's your quick, aerial KIll Move.

Last edited:

Swoops

Smash Lord
NNID
SwoopsTii
The shield stun buff will most likely be a mixed bag. We will be a lot safer on stuff, but I get the feeling quite a few characters will be able to abuse the hell out of our shield.

If the calculations going around are correct though, USmash would likely be +2/+3 after shield drop...lol.

Nair seems cool, still not sure I really understand the changes as there are a few of them. The far hitbox was consistently pulling the opponent in though so that was cool. Low percents DThrow > FH UAir > FF NAir > stuff seems cool.

Also, with the shield stun buff I think now is as important a time to say it as any, all Ganon's should use the reverse UAir hitbox way more. I'm super surprised with how many characters it can hit grounded.

adom4

Smash Lord
NNID
adom15510
3DS FC
3179-6434-6692
The shield stun buff will most likely be a mixed bag. We will be a lot safer on stuff, but I get the feeling quite a few characters will be able to abuse the hell out of our shield.

If the calculations going around are correct though, USmash would likely be +2/+3 after shield drop...lol.

Nair seems cool, still not sure I really understand the changes as there are a few of them. The far hitbox was consistently pulling the opponent in though so that was cool. Low percents DThrow > FH UAir > FF NAir > stuff seems cool.

Also, with the shield stun buff I think now is as important a time to say it as any, all Ganon's should use the reverse UAir hitbox way more. I'm super surprised with how many characters it can hit grounded.
I'm kinda worried about the shield stun thing, if it's as big as it seems it can really screw us over, for now it's best to wait & see how it'll affect the metagame.

Swoops

Smash Lord
NNID
SwoopsTii
adom4 adom4

Yea that's what I was thinking lol. It's easy to apply generalities to this change and say "everything will be safer!" or "we're going to get wrecked in shield!" but in reality a lot of variables will come into play with a change like this.

I mean I am nervous, but excited nervous lol. Could be sh*tty could be cool.

_Magus_

Smash Lord
NNID
DeadlyTaco
3DS FC
1306-7596-5996
Ganon's new NAir reminds me more of falcon's NAir in this game. The first hit of falcon's pulls the opponent in and links to the second, but if you ff the first hit to cancel the second, it's essentially a guaranteed grab.

Swoops

Smash Lord
NNID
SwoopsTii
So the more I think about it, I think it'll be an overall nerf for ganondorf.

Pre-patch, he could be pretty safe with precise spacing. BAir, NAir, FAir etc. Now it seems like he will extra safe, but it will require similar precise spacing.

Meanwhile with his limited mobility and mediocre defensive options in neutral, along with everybody else's buffed shield pressure, I feel like he's going to get trashed if an opponent gets in on him. I guess time will tell :/

Illusions4

Smash Rookie
There was also a global change which I think helps ganon. They also increased the amount of shield stun that a character takes, hence why they nerfed the falchions shield breakers. It would be worth to test if fair and dair are safe on shield

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
So the more I think about it, I think it'll be an overall nerf for ganondorf.

Pre-patch, he could be pretty safe with precise spacing. BAir, NAir, FAir etc. Now it seems like he will extra safe, but it will require similar precise spacing.

Meanwhile with his limited mobility and mediocre defensive options in neutral, along with everybody else's buffed shield pressure, I feel like he's going to get trashed if an opponent gets in on him. I guess time will tell :/
And now we actually suck against camping. That legitimately upsets me.

I thought things were going in the right direction when they nerfed the frames on Luigi's fireball...

Last edited:

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
And now we actually suck against camping. That legitimately upsets me.

I thought things were going in the right direction when they nerfed the frames on Luigi's fireball...
We did have issues with Greninja and Sheik before, but otherwise could mostly deal with camping. Now they might legit 80-20 us. Why? Why do this now? My head hurts.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
The changes aren't yet "palpable" to me, but if things're as bad as everyone fears, I just wonder why in the hell they didn't just weaken shields. That's a decision consistent with any given character's MO, i.e. Ganon deals more damage to shields but has less opportunity to pressure shields, Mario deals less, but has more opportunities, but ultimately shields becom less advantageous; ostensibly a healthy thing for the game, since by all appearances, shields are just too strong. Increasing shieldstun doesn't solve any problems with shielding, it just unevenly distributes itself to those who're inherently good at pressuring shields (I saw @jmanup85 post a vine somewhere of a Falco getting trapped in a Lucario aura vortex)

Last edited:

Blobface

Smash Lord
NNID
everyone1 (Bob)
3DS FC
3454-0482-6740
F-air, B-air, and U-smash should probably be used more often now. The two former are now slightly more safe and the latter is now positive on shield drop (lolwut).

And Wizkick is a serious threat to shields now. The increased stun means it is guaranteed to link into quake for about 40+ shield damage (the shield degenerates in between hits it seems). It's a near guaranteed shieldbreak from about, Idunno, 40-45hp, but lower than that Quake will shieldpoke instead. Makes me wish Quake had a more vertical hitbox. Having an F16 45 shield damage aerial would be god tier.

I'm honestly considering figuring out the amount of time needed for a shield to regenerate into that range after being hit by B-air, F-air, and U-smash, since that could legitimately set us up for Shield Breaks.

But overall, it's hard to tell where Ganon lies in this patch. We'll have to see how it impacts other characters first.

_Magus_

Smash Lord
NNID
DeadlyTaco
3DS FC
1306-7596-5996
Does this patch feel clunky to anyone else? Idk what it is, but the game just doesn't feel as responsive as it used to with any char I play.

Didier337

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4742-5843-4940
Overall I think this will benefit Juggernauts(Ganon,DK,DDD,Bowser,Charizard) the most since more of their moves become safer and break shields much easier.Besides Ganon can KO most the cast with a reverse warlock punch at 25%,I'll take it

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
I don't like the jank I'm seeing with these inescapable looping hitboxes like with Lucario's aura sphere, Yoshi's DAir, etc.

Didier337

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4742-5843-4940
I don't like the jank I'm seeing with these inescapable looping hitboxes like with Lucario's aura sphere, Yoshi's DAir, etc.
That is a problem.Until we find easier ways of dealing with them,looks like lucario and yoshi are heading up tiers.

Top Bottom