• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ganondorf is the worst character in game...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
At this point you must be thinking, yeah, that’s a great selection of moves! Wrong!

Unusable:

U Tilt
U Smash
Down B
Neutral B
Fair

So, 33% of Ganon’s moves suck. When you’re opponents knows this, you have less variety at your disposal, thus making you 33% more predictable. Don’t think these moves suck? I’ll explain why they do.

U Tilt makes you painfully vulnerable, something Ganon is without even using the crap moves. U Smash has a relatively small hitbox, especially on either side of him, and since Dair’s usually have priority, it simply doesn’t help. Down B is slow, doesn’t do much damage, and even if you hit an enemy with it, they can still potentially his you afterwards because of the lag at the end (it also sends you upwards instead of to the left or right, so it rarely even kills!). Neutral B sucks for the same reason U Tilt does. And finally, Ganon’s great attack from Melee, the Fair, is now dreadful because of the almost unavoidable landing lag.
U Smash is great for hitting from underneath platforms, it has deceptive horizontal range when used with good timing, but what's best about U Smash is Ganondorf can almost immediately throw out another attack right after. Other than trying to use it against an opponent's DAir, it's actually safer to use than it looks. Opponents who don't know this will often run right into a Neutral A or Side A attack. Not unusable.

Down B's weaknesses are its lag, less-than-stellar range, and low knockback at low or middle percentages. Having said that, it's good to use when your opponent' s accumulated enough damage and you need to get them to the edge. Opponents will close in on Ganondorf, and they often end up in range and get Wizard Footed off the edge. Suprisingly though, Down B is much better in the air. It can seriously kill juggling...and the opponent at times. You just let the opponent get with in range and close enough so they feel like they'll land their next attack, then G-Dorf halts his midair descent, then plows through 'em with Wizard foot, quickly reaching the the ground in the process. It's definitely not unusable.

FAir only requires more practice. It is not a spammable move by any stretch, but it's still quite powerful and quick enough in execution to strike opponents out of the air and off the edge for either a KO or edgeguarding. BAir is easier to use, but it's not as strong, so FAir is still a viable option....if it's used well enough. Not unusable.

UTilt is just about unusable...except in moments where the opponent needs to grab the ledge to recover. It has some shocking range that extends beyond the ledge. In any other situation, UTilt shouldn't really be used, but against an opponent who needs to recover, it's actually not a bad option.

Neutral B.......yah, unusable.

Pustulio

Smash Ace
Probably out eating some dirt or something.
Well like I said he may be harder to learn but in the hands of a master is gonna' be deadly as with any other character.

I don't play with him but the key is to work around the weaknesses and focus on the strengths, you can never just abuse anything and every move can be used, the neutral b has use, just like the utilt as stated can be used on a recovering opponent or even a tumbling opponent.

An assumption about how "good" or "bad" a character is, is an unjust remark, people can use these characters and be very successful. Understand that Ganondorf just has a steep learning curve that many of us do not have the time energy or determination to work at. Kudos to the Ganondorf mainers for taking time to learn a character that doesn't get respect.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Ganondorf fights better in Brawl than Captain Falcon though. Although the smash attacks aren't too reliable, Ganondorf's f-tilt still packs a punch.

:034:

Smash Hero
Old news, guys. We're already fully aware, okay? Another thread about it won't stop us.

ducky285

Smash Journeyman
Old news, guys. We're already fully aware, okay? Another thread about it won't stop us.
I doubt anyone here is telling you to stop using Ganon. Hell, I use Yoshi and everyone says he's terrible.

I'm pretty sure that a good Ganon can be very effective but it requires some heavy dedication and smarts to be able to hang with speedier characters. Just like it is difficult to get good enough with Yoshi to beat the many characters that can out-prioritize him.

arnquist

Smash Rookie
Ganondorf is pretty good if you play defensively and use forward+b and then combo a lot.

Smashbros_7

Smash Ace
I'm no noob and I can tell you ganondorf is not too underrated. His killers are to slow an laggy to be used effectively. All he can do is shield pressure you until he can kill you with his ftilt. His fair sucks and his bair is hard to land on smaller characters. His other aeriels are great though but he has horrendus jumps and recovery skills. Also, his neutral b is unusable(as it always was). Ganon has a bad fsmash but okay dsmash and upsmash. His saving grace is his foward b however. If your foe rolls behind you after the move dsmash. If they roll in front of you use your down b. If your foe isn't moving, dtilt into a neutral a. Another redeeming quality are his tilts. They all have great range and knock back. Even his utilt is usable. Ganon is a little bellow average but definately not the worst character. People should'nt be making topics like this anyways.

Rass1618

Smash Rookie
dont admit **** man, i agree with the first part of this quote.
**** all you noobs hard in the anus who make these threads
"omg teh snake is broken"
"marf iz broken"
"ganun sux"

just shut the **** up keep your opinions to yourself, if you werent a noob youd know that EVERY character has different mixups & attributes, and you can work these attributes right, to win.
you play brawl ganon like melee ganon, you fail, you get pissed, then make a thread and complain to us how you cant adapt to a NEW character.

ganon is a new character, hes nothing like melee ganon.
**** you kids, i want to **** your butthole
you read my mind, i never really played ganon in melee honestly but now i tryed him in brawl and use him as one of my mains, i own with him, sure he's laggy, but i try to avoid getting punished for that as much as possible and i win half matches i play with him

MrSquinshee

Smash Cadet
Did anyone in here find it appropriate to talk about how Ganondorf supposedly "sucks" to a bunch of Ganondorf mainers? I think that shows great disrespect to them.
I respect Ganon mainers decision's of choosing an awful character.

(He's fun to play, but good.)

Stalfoe

Smash Apprentice
Ignore all posts that list anything other than NB and UT as unusable or "major suckage" for great justice.

2kf1nisher

Smash Rookie
I haven't studied anything too much yet, but what ssbm veteran hasn't been overall nerfed, I just think they did it to make the newcomers look better

Stalfoe

Smash Apprentice
Have you played a good Bowser lately?

^Sonic>Marth? What purpose did that post serve?
Red the post above it.

Or I can just save you the time.

"I haven't studied anything too much yet, but what ssbm veteran hasn't been overall nerfed, I just think they did it to make the newcomers look better"

Iwan

Smash Ace
LOL true that, he is awful along with falcon and sonic
Falcon definitely isn't awful.
at all.

And sonic is viable...i've played good sonic players.

But yea, gdorf isn't too great from what i've played (against and as him).

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Nobody in this game is unplayable, while I use Ganondorf for fun, and like him as a character (my favorite video game villian) he has too many bad matchups.

LOL @ Falcon and Sonic are bad btw.

Massiveguns

Smash Apprentice
ganon is probably the worst character in the game, but the way this game works u can still use him and win the majority of your matches. a real advantage you have is that people want to punish you too much because they know your bad..... and when ganon punishes them for trying to string an impossible combo he punishes HARD ..... ganons ability to kill is amazing ... its scary.
i dare every1 who says ganon sucks to play a great ganon and find out what im talking about.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Ganon is better than Captain Falcon, so there's no way he's the worst character in the game. He's actually what I would consider to be one of the best heavyweights after Dedede and Charizard.

I mean, just look at his moves, will you? Aerial wizard's foot breaks a shield in two hits. TWO HITS.

His sparta kick is fast and a KO move. So is his up smash. Wizard's foot on the ground is relatively unpunishable as well and he really really hits hard. 24 damage from a Dair which can be done from a short hop with no lag? Insanity. And he has a lunging grab that's not particularly easy to avoid or see coming provided he's got you preoccupied with other things.

He also has loads of priority on his attacks, despite not having any disjointed hitboxes.

Froth

Smash Journeyman
Ganon is better than Captain Falcon, so there's no way he's the worst character in the game. He's actually what I would consider to be one of the best heavyweights after Dedede and Charizard.

I mean, just look at his moves, will you? Aerial wizard's foot breaks a shield in two hits. TWO HITS.

His sparta kick is fast and a KO move. So is his up smash. Wizard's foot on the ground is relatively unpunishable as well and he really really hits hard. 24 damage from a Dair which can be done from a short hop with no lag? Insanity. And he has a lunging grab that's not particularly easy to avoid or see coming provided he's got you preoccupied with other things.

He also has loads of priority on his attacks, despite not having any disjointed hitboxes.
This guy actually knows what he's talking about.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Ive come to decision and the title is it. Ive played a fair amount of time with gannondorf and played good gdorf player but he is just bad. Hes way to easily combo'ed and all the things tht made him good wer taken away. Gdorf has a insane amount of lag on pretty much all moves. WIthout l-canceling his just not half as good.
You're completely wrong. Ganondorf is the SECOND worst character in the game.

I'm not joking. He's horrible, but he's definitely better than Captain Falcon. He combos and kills better than Falcon. That should tell you how much the physics engine hurts Falcon.

You see, Ganondorf has an amazing Forward B. It's a grab, and a techchase setup. It's better than everything else that Falcon can do quite seriously. Plus, Ganondorf has his share of fast attacks which KILL. His Jab and F-tilt both can kill, and his D-air is now a SPIKE (he can short hop autocancel D-airs if you do it right, and that is massive pwn compared to anything Falcon can do).

Plus, Ganondorf gets hax counterpicks on Brinstar.

I commend you sir for your intelligence. But anyhow Dedede and Charizard are like miles better than Ganondorf...

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Yeah. I know that. But Ganondorf's D-air kills, while Falcon's doesn't. So Ganondorf's D-air autocancel >>> Falcon.

Plus, I think Falcon's D-air is still a meteor. Ganondorf's spikes as I said, so win for him.

Magus420

Smash Master
I'm almost positive there's no meteor cancelling in Brawl.

Also, there's still decent lag on both of their d-airs just not landlag. It's significantly less than the attack landlag and you can air control left/right before landing, but you're still committed to the move and left open between when it attacks as you go up and until you come down and land.

Garuda

Smash Ace
Wow, many people must severely suck as him or something. You must get used to the fact that he doesn't fight the same way as he did in Melee. Ike is slower than Ganon and plenty of people love him. Why? Because he's a new character; there is no mindset already established at first. You wanted Ganondorf to be different. Here you go.

And if you ever played TP, you should've expected him to be slower.

HE IS A GIANT OLD FAT GUY WITH HEAVY ARMOR, GORILLA ARMS, AND THE TRIFORCE OF POWER. Of COURSE he's slower!

MeLeo

Smash Cadet
Wow, many people must severely suck as him or something. You must get used to the fact that he doesn't fight the same way as he did in Melee. Ike is slower than Ganon and plenty of people love him. Why? Because he's a new character; there is no mindset already established at first. You wanted Ganondorf to be different. Here you go.

And if you ever played TP, you should've expected him to be slower.

HE IS A GIANT OLD FAT GUY WITH HEAVY ARMOR, GORILLA ARMS, AND THE TRIFORCE OF POWER. Of COURSE he's slower!
Lol we all wanted him to be improved, not (nerfed) different...

Also, for all that heavy armor he has (he's even got a metal plate behind his head), he has NO Super Armor on any of his attacks, WTF man. His SideB is a grab, it does NOT have SA (thank you Magus for your No SA on Grabs video).

As for that Ike comment above, his massive range and brute force make up for his being slower than Ganon (in terms of start lag on attacks).

litlwing

Smash Apprentice
actually he does have SA but its not till like he has a hold of someone during the attack ive done it tons of times but its pretty useless in one on one only when a third or fourth persin try to attack him and im pretty sure the warlock punch has armor right when it fires out but that to doesnt help that much because if he doesnt get hit before he swings, im not so sure bout the punch thou i havent tested it but im pretty sure the side b does have armor maybe i missed something tho i dont want to sound smarty farty thats just what ive observed

triforceswordmaster

Smash Apprentice
naw, i f**k up all the ikes with ganon, ike's attacks are really slow. like seriously, come on. at ganon has some fast attacks, ike has his over b and thats it.

btw, my friend and me are both good and we're at essentially the same level of skill, but whenever we use our mains (his being ness, me as ganon) at a Final Dest no items match, i always win.

ha, last time we played i KOd him first so he had 2 stock 0 percent and i had 3 stock 90 percent. then i suicided him. it was great.

litlwing

Smash Apprentice
also i dominate pit (and ike) everytime i fight with ganon, i havent fought like any superbly amazing pits but they arnt horrible they play by the "standard pit rules" spam arrows and side b not to much tho

soroush123

Smash Lord
Face-plosion tech chase, funniest thing ever. Then just dash attack at 100% and they're done.

Catmunnies

Smash Apprentice
1. I doesn't matter what people say about Ganon, or how laggy his moves are; It's not gon' keep me from wrecking people with him.

2. The only way I'll believe that Ganon is a bad character is if I play Ganon in enough tournaments, and determine that no amount of skill difference between me and my opponent will ever allow me beat a pro smasher, who mains a top teir character, with Ganon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom