• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ganondorf is the worst character in game...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Czech

Smash Cadet
Ive come to decision and the title is it. Ive played a fair amount of time with gannondorf and played good gdorf player but he is just bad. Hes way to easily combo'ed and all the things tht made him good wer taken away. Gdorf has a insane amount of lag on pretty much all moves. WIthout l-canceling his just not half as good.

jellis186

Smash Apprentice
Do we really need another one of these topics? If you dont like him, dont play him. I'll admit hes not anywhere near some of the best characters, but hes still a ton of fun to play as.

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
I think people underrate Ganondorf because they just don't understand his new mechanics. His shield pressure game is incredible, he has good gimping, and great power. Get good at his lag canceled aerials and he is above average in my opinion

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
True... ganon IS fun. If enjoy spending half the game dodging so you can find an opening to attack with your super laggy moves of death. I've won games simply by spamming B> to Usmash. Then chasing with an aerial.

Astinos

Smash Cadet
I enjoy playing Ganon, sure he is nowhere near as good as melee, he's not as fast and can't be used as agressively, but his knockback and damage are beastly.

theGreatDekuTree

Smash Journeyman
Do we really need another one of these topics? If you dont like him, dont play him. I'll admit hes not anywhere near some of the best characters, but hes still a ton of fun to play as.

dont admit **** man, i agree with the first part of this quote.

"omg teh snake is broken"
"marf iz broken"
"ganun sux"

keep your opinions to yourself

Kio Iranez

Smash Ace
^De acuerdo, Señor.

Sure, I bawwed when I couldn't kill with his fair anymore, but I moved on, and so should everyone. Ganon is too good. <3

EDIT: Well...now I can kill with his fair, but at first, the timing seemed impossible. :p

Froth

Smash Journeyman
Ganon has an easier time killing then Captain Falcon.
than* not 'then.'

Anyways, Ganondorf is a lot better than he was in melle, if you know how to use him. His moves are more powerful and he's just better, except for his looks, sadly.

GenocideMachine

Smash Cadet
than* not 'then.'

Anyways, Ganondorf is a lot better than he was in melle, if you know how to use him. His moves are more powerful and he's just better, except for his looks, sadly.
Are you serious? How the hell could you deduce that Ganondorf is better in Brawl? Maybe if you never used L-canceling at all in melee. Yeah, his moves are more powerful (with less range on virtually all leg attacks because of his stubby legs) but they have a MOTHER LODE of lag. Without his DAIR cancel, he'd be 100% useless and have no potential.

Froth

Smash Journeyman
Are you serious? How the hell could you deduce that Ganondorf is better in Brawl? Maybe if you never used L-canceling at all in melee. Yeah, his moves are more powerful (with less range on virtually all leg attacks because of his stubby legs) but they have a MOTHER LODE of lag. Without his DAIR cancel, he'd be 100% useless and have no potential.
I rarely used Ganon in melee. But, I can use him a lot better in this game, without being a clone of Falcon.

Metal_Dave

Smash Journeyman
No way man Ganon is for sure alot better than falcon and I have played both. Falcon doesn't have much of a threat to players as to ganon he has fierce amount of power and knockback. So ya...my vote for worst chracter in the game goes to falcon lol

Froth

Smash Journeyman
No way man Ganon is for sure alot better than falcon and I have played both. Falcon doesn't have much of a threat to players as to ganon he has fierce amount of power and knockback. So ya...my vote for worst chracter in the game goes to falcon lol
I would say Yoshi is worst character. Falcon seems better. Yoshi can't really do anything and has no third jump.

redshift71388

Smash Apprentice
Pff, Ganondorf's appearence is ten times better in Twilight Princess/Brawl than Ocarina of Time/Melee. But to each his own...

Captain Stupid

Smash Apprentice
ganon is not the greatest but he's not the worst..
hate when people put characters down like that. if you think hes bad, dont use him..

ducky285

Smash Journeyman
I would say Yoshi is worst character. Falcon seems better. Yoshi can't really do anything and has no third jump.
I don't know about Falcon being better than Yoshi, but I doubt Yoshi is the worst character.

Egg Toss can be spammed from a distance
B-air is a great approach
Good at combos/strings
Grabs are more useful now
Amazing edgeguard game
Can KO at 110%
Is fairly heavy
Also, Egg Toss is a fairly useful recovery move.

I wouldn't say Yoshi is AMAZING (mid tier would be the highest I'd put him, most likely will be low tier), but IMO Ganondorf is worse than most of the cast. Granted, he has power and weight, as well as a great spike and a suicide kill move. However, he's a big target, most of his moves are slow and/or laggy and he has limited mobility.

As for Falcon, I don't play much as him, but he seemed worse than Melee but still not that bad. The knee is hard to use, but b-air is still strong and quick.

Stalfoe

Smash Apprentice
than* not 'then.'

Melee, not melle looooooloool

And if you liked the OoT Ganon better, you may also like the looks of characters like Ike, Sonic and Pit.

For a character that can kill you in about 6 hits, I couldn't call him the worst. Sonic on the other hand who is slow, can't combo AND can't hit hard definitely has a chance for that spot.

El Drago

Smash Cadet
Ganon sacrifices range and speed for power, of course people are gonna say he sucks. He actually is hard to use, yeah i will give em that.

I think its characters like toon link and pit that make people say he sucks, being hard to use and not being good are 2 very different things. I mean, ganon has an air KO range of like 50% if hes near the ledge, thats scary when you consider one stomp alone does like 25% damage.

In time when better players get to show their stuff with the ganon i think minds will change, for now, if u cant spam the C stick and any direction and call it skillz the character sux.

WaffleJesse

Smash Cadet
One of my friends plays as Ganondorf and he is just ****ing killer, he can even beat my Marth >_>. Not to mention i'm pretty **** good at the game...

Ayato

Smash Apprentice
Jigglypuff seems worse to me than Ganon.
That's ridiculous. My brother plays Jiggly just as well as he did in Melee. The biggest gimp was the increased hitbox, which consequently leads to Jiggly being an easier target and more difficult to rest with. The wall of pain is almost there, and the idea of it is still effective, just the lack of hit stun destroys the pure concept and you have to alter it with some mindgames for success. Jiggly is a STRONG character. Better than most, in my opinion. Perhaps even among the top 10.

On topic, Ganon isn't a piece of crap. He's a character that you have to be much more careful with. His game is slow, so you play it that way. Platform play is still a plus for him. Flat ground against a ranged character, well, that's bad news for him, but the rest of it he can usually deal with. At least, I can deal with a good lot of players using Ganon.

Offtopic responses again: Yoshi isn't the worst. C Falcon does better against Ganon than Ganon does against C Falcon in my opinion, but overall Falcon experiences many more setbacks. In the bigger picture, Ganon is the overall and statistically "better" character, but in a match between a Falcon and Ganon of equal/similar skill, I'd give the advantage to the Falcon, sheerly because Falcon's play type clashes horribly with Ganon's height and slow play type. And Falcon isn't quite the worst. He's just really....difficult.

Brawler9477

Smash Apprentice
East coast of Canada, West Island of Montreal
What im thinking is that people who say Ganondorf sucks just find him to hard to play and just quit using him and hate him and think he sucks.
And no character sucks its just how long you practice with the character that makes your character skill better

TechnoMonster

Smash Ace
Dorfsauce has more potential for improvement than any other character in this game. Side B is a whole 'nother country of smash; it's the longest range grab attack in the history of ever, and difficult to punish, easy to follow up, and his moves are powerful as all hell.

Don't give up guys

but meanwhile I make all the $$$ at tournies lollllllz

Wrath`

Smash Master
you guys obviously can not play a good ganon, i think he is better than his melee counterpart, and i seem to do well online with him, i'll show you my self, pm for a match.

Enlong

Smash Journeyman
From what I've heard and seen, it looks more like Ganondorf has a steeper learning curve then before. That, and the fact that people are thrown off by the new way he controls, compared to before.

Jumpinjahosafa

Smash Ace
You guy's obviously don't know how to use Ganondorf.

Oh well cry more when you lose to him.

Pustulio

Smash Ace
Probably out eating some dirt or something.
I don't know if somebody has already posted something like this in this thread or not but, here goes.

Any character is a force to be reckoned with when used properly. The ability to use certain characters comes naturally to different people. Some take time to learn how to play properly while others are easy to pick up. This is largely what the tier lists are based on. Because a masterful Ganondorf can beat a good Marth any day of the year. You have to remember that there are different styles of play and different people who play.

Take a smasher like Gojira (of Utah) he is a master with a slow powerful character in hand, whether that be DDD, Bowser, DK or Ganondorf (heck in melee he could even win with Mewtwo!). On the other hand I've got a buddy named Lange (Wyoming) who can play especially good with most of the fast characters. I'm one of the people that uses all types, like jack of all trades master of none type person because I really have not found a steady main yet (considering Bowser, Wolf, Sonic and G&W) I just use who feels comfortable at the moment and I win several matches (not all but at least half or more) I'm not a smash expert, God or Philosopher, I'm just making a point.

Just remember that the willingness and ability to learn by the player is what will make the character look good on screen. The character itself doesn't suck, maybe Ganondorf is a hard to pick up character but I know for a fact a masterful one is devastating as with any character in the game. There's no such thing as a "worst" character in the game.

In Melee it took me a while to find my main but Yoshi turned out to be my best, Yoshi in Brawl has different mechanics and a different play style and I feel uneasy with him, just understand that there are hard to learn characters and easy to learn characters, not better or worse characters.

MrSquinshee

Smash Cadet
It's tough to come in here and say Ganondorf is the worst character because you have to know that you're going to be bashed, attacked, and mostly liked be called a scrub. You'd be naive not to expect this.

However, I think I may have to agree with that statement. I don't suck with Ganon either: I know what moved are and aren't playable, and I rely on this strengths. However, his strengths don't even come close to outweighing his weaknesses. Let's examine his move set, and I'll break it down into usable and unusable:

Usable:

Neutral A
D Tilt
F Tilt
F Smash
D Smash
Nair
Bair
Dair
Uair
Side B

At this point you must be thinking, yeah, that’s a great selection of moves! Wrong!

Unusable:

U Tilt
U Smash
Down B
Neutral B
Fair

So, 33% of Ganon’s moves suck. When you’re opponents knows this, you have less variety at your disposal, thus making you 33% more predictable. Don’t think these moves suck? I’ll explain why they do.

U Tilt makes you painfully vulnerable, something Ganon is without even using the crap moves. U Smash has a relatively small hitbox, especially on either side of him, and since Dair’s usually have priority, it simply doesn’t help. Down B is slow, doesn’t do much damage, and even if you hit an enemy with it, they can still potentially his you afterwards because of the lag at the end (it also sends you upwards instead of to the left or right, so it rarely even kills!). Neutral B sucks for the same reason U Tilt does. And finally, Ganon’s great attack from Melee, the Fair, is now dreadful because of the almost unavoidable landing lag.

So know that we know which moves suck, one must also realize that Ganon gets camped on very, very easily. What can he do about it? Not much. Jump -> Air Dodge repeat works decently. However, due to his horrific speed, the camper can easily grab you, thus creating Hell.

I still play as Ganon, but you have to realize how disadvantaged you are if you choose to play Ganon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom