• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ganondorf is the worst character in game...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jekyll

Smash Ace
also i dominate pit (and ike) everytime i fight with ganon, i havent fought like any superbly amazing pits but they arnt horrible they play by the "standard pit rules" spam arrows and side b not to much tho
That's actually pretty horrible.

I played a pretty good pit in a tourney last weekend and won a match with Ganon. It wasn't anything that I was comfortable enough to repeat, though, so I switched to Diddy for the next match.

I thought going to a tourney would make me realize that Ganon was horrible, but so far it's just taught me that he has a handful of bad matchups, like EVERY other character.

Starizzle

Smash Apprentice
Ive come to decision and the title is it. Ive played a fair amount of time with gannondorf and played good gdorf player but he is just bad. Hes way to easily combo'ed and all the things tht made him good wer taken away. Gdorf has a insane amount of lag on pretty much all moves. WIthout l-canceling his just not half as good.
i know man...they shouldve replaced him with sora or banjo kazooie or som1 good....

Gensuke

Smash Rookie
gannon isn't top tier given... but i've had a lot of success with him. i play a good deal of competitive players and had a fair amount of wins... and i can credit all of my losses to the fact that i am not on the same level as my opponent skill wise. it's never been because gannon is that much worse then anybody else (except R.O.B.)

Zarez

Smash Cadet
i know man...they shouldve replaced him with sora or banjo kazooie or som1 good....
That would've been an incredibly stupid move (not just because they don't belong to Nintendo). The problem being that a character seems to be terrible, you wouldn't scrap them, and spend time on an entirely new character, when you could simply make a few adjustments to improve them.
I don't neccessarily believe Ganondorf is such a bad character, although my opinion doesn't really matter much (I'm not a pro player, and I never made much use of l-canceling in Melee). I do, however, seem to get more frustrated when playing as him against certain characters (it seemed easier in Melee, even without l-canceling). Then I use a different character, and it seems more effortless and less stressful.

Zarez

Smash Cadet
Rare developed the game, while Nintendo published it. Since Rare is now owned by Microsoft, It seems to be arguable whether Banjo-Kazooie fully belongs to Nintendo or not.

Edit: I didn't know there was going to be a Banjo-kazooie game for the 360. That fact alone should mean that Banjo-kazooie no longer belongs to Nintendo.

Froth

Smash Journeyman
I hate Xbox. First they take Conker's Bad Fur Day. And now this? What else have they taken?

Bizzarro Flame

Smash Lord
Ive come to decision and the title is it. Ive played a fair amount of time with gannondorf and played good gdorf player but he is just bad. Hes way to easily combo'ed and all the things tht made him good wer taken away. Gdorf has a insane amount of lag on pretty much all moves. WIthout l-canceling his just not half as good.
I've come to decision and the opinion of Bizzarro Flame is it. You should do more research on Ganondorf before appearing out of nowhere and suddenly stating your opinion. True, he has bad match-ups and tier-wise he would be in the bottom, but think before you say that he is the worst character in the game. I respect your opinion, but please think & observe harder before you type.

Bizzarro Flame

Smash Lord
Ganondorf is both strong, and strong. It thus follows that he has no weakness, which is very important for making a viable argument of why he should be top tier.
I've been wandering other topics PredictablyStubborn and sorry if I am prying too much, but if he has no weakness by being both strong, and strong. Then why do you consider him as the worst as said in your own opinion in this thread.

GetSmashedWithTheBros

Smash Apprentice

You "played a good Ganondorf player but he is just bad". So... how is he good if he's bad?

Ganondorf is not the worst character in the game, and he's got plenty of quick moves. He L/R B and his DB are both pretty quick, and he's got some good grabs too. He can also clear house with almost any of his attacks.

PredictablyStubborn

Smash Apprentice
I've been wandering other topics PredictablyStubborn and sorry if I am prying too much, but if he has no weakness by being both strong, and strong. Then why do you consider him as the worst as said in your own opinion in this thread.
this better be a joke response, because that was obviously a joke post of my own in a joke topic.

>_>

And since I didn't give much of a defense of "why ganon is one of the worst", here it is:
I have an easier time winning with other characters. When I play Ganon, I have to be extremely committed and careful with how i control him and play him, and I must be extremely adaptive to my opponent. Spacing is difficult, and very important. Ganon only has the upper hand for me when my opponent is "getting up". I'd put Ganon's "waiting for the opponent to get up" game right next to Charizard's (Melee-marth-grab/fire/crazy running speed).

Of course, there are some other great things about ganon too, such as always seeming to have a kill move, and being somewhat harder to KO than most characters. Those and the sheer awesome feeling of playing Ganon. If he has more strengths, I'd really like to know (it's why i'm here in smash boards in the first place).

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I'm almost positive there's no meteor cancelling in Brawl.
I don't know about you, I've survived quite a few times against Ike's D-air simply because I see it coming and I mash Up-B right as it hits me. That's supposed to be a meteor smash from what I hear.

Also, I'm quite sure I've seen Falco's D-air meteor canceled. Just can't find the darn vid...

Then I've done things like ledgeguarding computers with Mario's F-air, and I think I've seen computers recover from that. However nothing ever recovers from Ganondorf's D-air for example.

PredictablyStubborn said:
He is the worst, which is why I am so enthusiastic in mastering him right now.

I love making parlor tricks.
Use Captain Falcon then. >_>

Ganondorf is seriously better than him.

Magus420

Smash Master
Spikes just have a lot less stun so you can still recover if you're not at too high damage or it's not a powerful spike like Ganon's. Try it at 200-300%+ and see if you can still cancel it.

Zarez

Smash Cadet
I still don't understand why people complain so much about his run. Maybe at first it seemed a bit awkward, but other than it being slow, it's not that strange. It probably would've looked worse if it appeared like he was running with all his strength, but was still slow. His run was fine in Melee, but he's even slower now.

AbsoluteZero0K

Smash Rookie
Ganondorf was my champion in Melee; I beat classic mode with everyone that was available before I signed onto the WFC to beat people down with Ganondorf. WOW WAS I SURPRISED AT HOW SLOW HE IS NOW!

I swore up and down that he was the worst character in the game. After dropping him as my champ (in addition to Link as my secondary...he's a waste of space in the presence of the superiority that is Young Link), and messing around with Kirby and Zelda, I returned to Ganondorf and found that he's not the worst character in the game, but he certainly isn't going to be winning tournaments (if that's important to you).

He's certainly different. In Melee, I would approach with air fsmash. Goodbye to that. In fact, the slow air fsmash is what made me think that Ganondorf was unforgivably horrible, but he's strong enough that if you only hit a couple of times, he can smash peeps at less than 100%. The trick is to actually land a smash attack as your opponent will run circles around you (Marth), have a superior air game (Metaknight), or spam projectiles (Zelda, Pit, etc).

So basically, he's not a character that I would recommend for 1v1. He owns pretty hard in FFA, though (which is my priority).

Trozz

Smash Ace
Ganon can't do this anymore:

I'd rather play CFalcon for the knee (even though it's nerfed).

Draquoir

Smash Cadet
then can you tell me why My Ganon Pwns n00bs? No? that's what I thought. My only gripe is the inability to use the sage sword.

Froth

Smash Journeyman
then can you tell me why My Ganon Pwns n00bs? No? that's what I thought. My only gripe is the inability to use the sage sword.
Because the fact that n00bs suck, they should be easy to get a win. It's not that your Ganon Pwns, just that it may be your opponent.

.kR0

Smash Journeyman
Ganon isn't the worst. That title probably belongs to either Charlizard or Yoshi.

But god I facepalmed when his wizards foot didn't give me back his second jump. Ganon's recovery is atrocious.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I swore up and down that he was the worst character in the game. After dropping him as my champ (in addition to Link as my secondary...he's a waste of space in the presence of the superiority that is Young Link), and messing around with Kirby and Zelda, I returned to Ganondorf and found that he's not the worst character in the game, but he certainly isn't going to be winning tournaments (if that's important to you).
Wow, you haven't played Captain Falcon. Captain Falcon is WORSE than Ganondorf. Ganondorf at least has combos and kill moves. Captain Falcon doesn't.

Seriously, the worst character in the game is Captain Falcon. He doesn't have ANYTHING going for him except running speed. He can't combo, his range and priority sucks, his grab range sucks, and he can't land his kill options reliably.

@Magus. Oh....So everything that sends you down is a spike, but spikes are easier to recover from. Sounds good to me I guess.

Magus-Cie

Smash Journeyman
Gannondorf is alot like he is in Melee. He is a slow character with fast moves. On lower levels of play, GDorf is pretty down there on the list, simply because it is ****ed hard to get somebody to walk into a FSmash. Once you get the hang of mindgames and some of the more universal strategies (like learning to use your shield to block damage...then grab), he becomes a powerhouse, since he has both extremely strong kill moves, and has good set up moves.

If you see a GDorf fox trotting towards you, it is scary, since he has so many options:
1.) FTilt for a bit of damage
2.) FSpecial for a combo set up
3.) FSmash if you think you can get it
4.) Charge attack for setup for an aerial juggle
5.) SHFB should they try to get in the air
6.) Even just rolling behind you and grabbing
7.) SHDair for a possible kill/anti-counter

Few characters have so many approaches that require specifically different strategies to get around

Mizar

Smash Ace
I don't know man, all your points don't seem to be unavoidable. As Ganondorf I like to approach with a dash, dodge, followed by side B. Then predict which side they are rolling and smash (back roll when he stands up with an attack).

Magus-Cie

Smash Journeyman
I didnt mean to imply they are unavoidable, it is just people kinda freeze up sometimes when they try to figure out what you are going to do. Often people I play, both IRL and online just throw a fsmash out there, which leaves them open to a bunch of things.

Czech

Smash Cadet
Im not saying you cant win with Gannondorf but how do you not agree that he is one of the worst characters in the game. I personally think hes the worst.

TheSnyd

Smash Rookie
Definitely cannot use him like how you would have in melee. He's just plain different. I believe that every character can beat any other character in this game.. it just takes work... I remember during the melee era when soo many ppl blasted Donkey Kong. I have a friend that almost never lost with his DK back in melee. Dorf IS hard to master, but once you figure things out he is very deadly.. done.

khepri

Smash Lord
Definitely cannot use him like how you would have in melee. He's just plain different. I believe that every character can beat any other character in this game.. it just takes work... I remember during the melee era when soo many ppl blasted Donkey Kong. I have a friend that almost never lost with his DK back in melee. Dorf IS hard to master, but once you figure things out he is very deadly.. done.
Yea you can beat any character with any character, it's just harder with some than with others. Wouldn't you agree that it's harder for ganondorf to win a match than any other character would? He's slow and has tons of lag on every move he has. His recovery isn't very good either. I'd consider him the worst character right now.

SCfury

Smash Rookie
Ganondorf is just a challenging character to try out and master, if you don't like him don't play him

tehSANDMAN

Smash Apprentice
Lol if you just said BUM your argument would have been a lot more convincing.

manhunter098

Smash Lord
I loved Gannondorf in Melee. His recovery was even tolerable since you got an extra jump out of his Wizards Foot. I made every person I know that looked down on him see him in a new light.

Hes very clumsy and awkward now. In Melee his jump speed was much faster and the execution of his aerial attacks was a lot smoother than it is now. His running is also really wierd in Brawl and he just feels like a totally different character than before. I mean you can even use the Wizards foot to knock back an enemy that stuck his face in too close anyone since the startup of the attack wont damage opponents that are right next to you anymore. His entire aerial game has been killed since he cant get as much horizontal momentum with his short hop though he still does have that nice meteor.

Still, I liked him better when he was a Captain Falcon clone...all of his hitboxes were bigger then and he jumped better too.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
HEY GANON, LUCARIO HAS A 0>70/80% COMBO ON YOU AT THE START OF THE MATCH.

So if you see Lucario buggering around with jabs and force at the beginning of a stock, whack him really hard and get him to 50% quickly so he can't combo you any more.

DerekHylian

Smash Rookie
Ganondorf is mean for 2v2 nubs, anyone with half of a brain could know that. Your teammate gets stunned by a move he/she uses, you take the advantage, you neutral b, side smash, down smash, or down b. Its not that hard to get the hang of him, he's slow, sure, but he is the strongest character in the game, ive killed enemies with him (bowser) in 2 shots. He's just that good, and is underestimated.

Magus-Cie

Smash Journeyman
When I first used GDorf in melee, he felt wierd and akward and i could never really use him at first. Then I started to get better and better. I believe it will be the same here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom