• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ganondorf is BETTER, not worse, than he was in Melee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jumpinjahosafa

Smash Ace
Brawl Ganon IS pretty sick. At least if you know what you're doing.

You can be behind 1 stock and manage to catch up easily thanks to his power, and ganoncide.

Also his priority is pretty decent.

A good ganon is pretty scary in Brawl.

Metà

Smash Master
I think that more towards the middle or end of Brawl's competitive cycle he will have been more successful than in Melee. I played lots of melee competitively and I've been playing loads of brawl, and I really do think that he'll be better. He does great with ALL of the light characters if you play intelligently. He is a great killer and he has a good recovery, his only flaw is his slowness, which can be overcome if the person using him is smart and knows how to speed up his moves.
Are you suggesting Ganondorf players will win tournaments? I highly doubt we'll ever see a large tournament won by a Ganondorf, unless it's low tier. Ganondorf is worse--SIGNIFICANTLY WORSE--in almost every aspect, at a competitive level. Ganondorf is pretty freaking bad. >_<

EDIT: Why are people even disagreeing with Sliq here? I'm pretty d*mn sure he knows Brawl Ganondorf better than anyone else that's posted in this thread so far (except Magus). Listen to him, kids, he's f*cking good at Ganondorf.

Nic64

Smash Lord
ganny is better in brawl

but it's more of a humorous thing, he's a fun character to goof off with in friendlies, seriously he sucks.

Brotman

Smash Rookie
1) Ganondorf is heaver, harder to send flying.
2) His heaviness gives his attacks much more knockback. ------------- But he´s much slower.
3) His side-b has combo potential and suicide potential ------------- But it doesnt have any Knockback. In Melee it was one of his best Moves.
4) His wizards foot is faster, has more range, and more knockback. ---------- Less Range, easier to interrupt.
5) His dash attack is much better. ------ But its easier to escape from it, because he´s slower.
6) His Warlock Punch is faster, has more knockback, and can be reversed. -------- In this point you´re right^^
In Melee he was my main character.
In Brawl he sucks.

xxmaliciousxx

Smash Cadet
I am right about the Warlock Punch.

Wizard's Foot is better now that Final Destination is smaller. It offers more knockback and isn't a bad aerial option.

Ganondorf's side-b wasn't able to KO the opponent in Melee anyway, unless in sudden death or something. At least in Brawl it has suicide potential and recovery potential AND YOU DON'T TRIP IF YOU MISS.

In Brawl he takes more strategy to use.

Quitter, you are.

teh_pwns_the

Smash Journeyman
Gannon is decent against anyone who doesnt have a spammable projectile like falco or pit.... but really i think the only reason to play with ganondorf is for the bamf effect or because people rarely play ganondorfs and dont know what to do when they have to play them, personally i like him better in brawl but i didnt really use him much in melee and the only reason i really like him in brawl is because of murder choke and awesome kill potential no matter enemy percentage.... overall as a character i doubt ganon will ever win a major tournament unless some serious new discoveries are made

Sliq

Smash Master
Wizard's Foot is better now that Final Destination is smaller. It offers more knockback and isn't a bad aerial option.
On the ground it offers considerably less knockback to the Melee counterpart, but is a little bit faster on execution. The aerial version is stronger, but easy to avoid and laggy as ****.

Ganondorf's side-b wasn't able to KO the opponent in Melee anyway, unless in sudden death or something. At least in Brawl it has suicide potential and recovery potential AND YOU DON'T TRIP IF YOU MISS.
Yeah, Ganon's over b was ****ty in Melee, but his fair was l cancelable and had more range than Marth's fair. Furthermore, wavedashing allowed him to use platforms to move way faster than normal. Brawl Ganon, on paper, is better, but the new gameplay mechanics make him suck ***.

Hypa-Link

Smash Journeyman
This is almost exactly what I would have said. Obviously Melee Ganon performed better with L cancelling and overall better aerials, but the Brawl Ganon has better chances against the other Brawl characters than the Melee Ganon had chances against the Melee cast.
Interesting.

Well I still enjoy Ganon. And he actually has a b move now that's one of the best special moves in the game and is extremely useful for him.

stratele

Smash Apprentice
i liked ganon in melee, but now hes just not quite right.

I play as his sometimes. But i'd say the best way to use him is to take things slow. Pick the right moments to attack. Play it defensively.

degypr

Smash Cadet
"Wizard's Monster-Truck Foot of Doom" is more like Wizard's RC of Suck. However, it's better when used in the air though. Especially the landing impact.

lava mage144

Smash Rookie
if anything ganon has gotten better
why you may ask i used link in ssbm to kill 3 level 9 ganons easy
now in brawl i tried same thing and its a lot harder to kill them

ptown

Smash Ace
^oh yeah, it's fairly common.

just yesterday, i saw little school girl do a volcano kick. it was kinda cute as first until, you know, the fire and mass amount of evil.

Ulti

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure what kind of school girls fight like berserk gorillas, but I am now considerably more afraid of them.
^Too good. Mind if I sig that?

I am of the opinion that Melee Ganon is a good deal better than Brawl Ganon. I mained him for two years in Melee and just found him to be way more difficult to win with in Brawl. Melee Ganon basically is a berserk gorilla: his attack speed is pretty good considering his power, his range is redonculous, and he was pretty much immortal unless gimped/edge-guarded effectively. His ground game in Brawl is mostly better (I do miss those anti-air f-tilts), but it can't make up for everything else he lost.

He was amazing at tech-chasing too, I wish tech-chasing was back/more common/generally easier in Brawl :(.

Also, to those saying that melee Ganon is better only because of melee techniques, well so what? First off, it's melee ganon, he gets to use melee techniques (just as Brawl Ganon gets Brawl techs). Don't whine if Brawl Ganon (who is supposedly better, according to some here) has worse techs. As you've claimed, they influence the characters and gameplay a lot and to rule them out is to not compare the characters at all. Maybe Brawl Ganon would be better in melee physics, I'm not certain. I am quite certain he isn't though, and that really defines how he's played and how good he ultimately is.

Additionally, it's not as if those techniques were Ganon, only. Ganon was pitted against other characters that also could L-cancel, wave-dash, and do a host of other stuff (many of them actually did have character specific techniques). Many of those same characters could put those techniques to use better too. Ganon has nothing to compare with wave-shine --> up-smash, Sheik's crazy edge-guard game, Peach's float-canceled aerials, and the ICs ability to de-synch. Despite other characters having said advantages and abilities however, Ganon was still better equipped to deal with his opponents then Brawl Ganon could ever hope to deal with his.

Also, what's all this "Melee Ganon's forward-b SUX!" I'm hearing? That move did 15% (just short of his f-air's damage) and basically had a d-throw-like trajectory. It was a good, if risky combo starter that lead to both aerials and grabs (which leads to more stuff). Ganon's new forward-b works better in Brawl physics (the old one in Brawl physics would be terrible I agree), but I wonder how well it would work in the melee environment.

My $0.02

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
This is almost exactly what I would have said. Obviously Melee Ganon performed better with L cancelling and overall better aerials, but the Brawl Ganon has better chances against the other Brawl characters than the Melee Ganon had chances against the Melee cast.
. . . wouldn't that be all there is to the claim that Brawl-Ganon is better than Melee-Ganon?

I mean you can't compare them in terms of each other, because the different game mechanics make each character 'meaningless' in the other's terms. All you can do is talk about Brawl-Ganon's relationship to Brawl the game, and Melee-Ganon's relationship to Melee, and say which one has it better in his own universe.

Sliq

Smash Master
No, Melee Ganon has WAY better matchups than Brawl Ganon. Brawl Ganon is bad. END OF DISCUSSION.

cyclops4ever

Smash Apprentice
just different......just different... bad...but different. i still play him no matter how bad or better he is. AND WILL STILL OWN LIKE MELEE!

Zelinker

Smash Rookie
End the f***ing discussion already. Brawl Ganon SUX like hell.
I remember how I tried to kill a level 9 Ganon on FD in melee. It took what seemed like weeks of experimenting with Marth, Fox, and IC to finally beat him (by one stock).
Now, the moment I receive my brand-new brawl, I open the **** thing and start playing. After unlocking all the characters and stages, I decide to test out brawling. A fun little brawl on Final Destination with my Marth vs a level 9 Ganon at 3 stocks each.
Guess what? I f***ing 3-stocked him. Easily.

Brawl Ganon is a load of crap, especially when compared to melee Ganon.
End the thread already.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
End the f***ing discussion already. Brawl Ganon SUX like hell.
I remember how I tried to kill a level 9 Ganon on FD in melee. It took what seemed like weeks of experimenting with Marth, Fox, and IC to finally beat him (by one stock).
Now, the moment I receive my brand-new brawl, I open the **** thing and start playing. After unlocking all the characters and stages, I decide to test out brawling. A fun little brawl on Final Destination with my Marth vs a level 9 Ganon at 3 stocks each.
Guess what? I f***ing 3-stocked him. Easily.

Brawl Ganon is a load of crap, especially when compared to melee Ganon.
End the thread already.
...We dont base who sucks by ****ing....cpu's....and just wtf@anyone having trouble against Melee AI. Go learn what you're talking about please.

@Yuna: Never claimed he was even close to bad, or even just "ok". But he's at the bottom of Mid for a reason.

§witch

Smash Lord
He sucks, you can still play him and be godly with him, go wild. But the fact of the matter is, he's not good. I play him as my fourth, I love him, he surprises people, but by no means good. That about sums up the whole thread.
/thread.

Griffard

Smash Ace
...We dont base who sucks by ****ing....cpu's....and just wtf@anyone having trouble against Melee AI. Go learn what you're talking about please.

@Yuna: Never claimed he was even close to bad, or even just "ok". But he's at the bottom of Mid for a reason.
exactly, sorry that you couldn't beat melee cpus (lol)

also, bottom of mid? i'll settle for that anyday! people are pretty much planting him in bottom or bottom of low, bottom of mid would be quite a step up for the current lists (although I expect that in the long run)

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
exactly, sorry that you couldn't beat melee cpus (lol)

also, bottom of mid? i'll settle for that anyday! people are pretty much planting him in bottom or bottom of low, bottom of mid would be quite a step up for the current lists (although I expect that in the long run)
I meant for Melee. He's at the bottom of mid in Melee. How can you not get that? >.>

He's horrid, he'll be in either low or bottom for sure.

Renth

Smash Hero
LOLOLILOLOLOLPLOLOLLLLLLLOOOOOOLLLOLOLOLOLO
LLLLLOOOOLLLL

LLOLILOLOL

HHJAAAAHAHAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHAAAAAA

READ THREAD TITLE MADE MY NIGHT.
LLLLLOOOOOOOLLLLLL

YOU CANNIT BE SERIOUS

HHHHUUUUEEEEGGGGHHHH

Status
Not open for further replies.