• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ganondorf is BETTER, not worse, than he was in Melee

Status
Not open for further replies.

:034:

Smash Hero
Everything is slower. It doesn't matter if you can't hit.

There's a bunch more but I'm tired. Just here to say you are wrong and you fail and clearly did not play Ganondorf enough in either game.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
You should definitely look back at Melee Ganondorf and then look at Brawl Ganondorf. He has been nerfed in a severe manner, which makes him not only pathetic, but also makes him one of the worst fighters in Brawl.

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
1) Ganondorf is heaver, harder to send flying.
Because the gap between heavy and light is greater now. That and gravity is weaker.
2) His heaviness gives his attacks much more knockback.
Game & Watch is one of the lightest characters in the game, and his usmash, fsmash, and dsmash have amazing knockback.
3) His side-b has combo potential and suicide potential
A lot of attacks have combo potential. D3 and Kirby's suicidal attacks are much easier to use as well.
4) His wizards foot is faster, has more range, and more knockback.
I would say it's slower, has no hitbox at startup, and a lot less priority. As for the range, I believe the reason is, Final Destination is smaller. Murder Kick has the same range. Not sure about knockback.
5) His dash attack is much better.
Agreed.
6) His Warlock Punch is faster, has more knockback, and can be reversed.
I would say it has less knockback. I doubt the speed changed. Even if it did, Murder Punch is one of the worst moves in the game.
Ganny could shffl in melee, there's no freaking way Brawl Ganon could keep up. Ganondorf is ALL slow in brawl. Not even his jab is fast.Wolf's fsmash comes out faster than Ganon's jab. One last thing. STOP COMPARING BRAWL TO MELEE.

Ween

Smash Cadet
"Weight has nothing to do with strategy."

Are you serious? This game is a lot more momentum based than melee. Of course weight has to do with strategy. Besides this game is a lot more strategy than anything.

Airwalkerr

Smash Journeyman
he's a new character, guys. He was just a Falcon clone in Melee with a few quirks, such as an easy to perform spike and more power, but less speed. Now, he is absolutely ****ing nothing like Captain Falcon. The special, save for down+b, perform very differently, and you need a completely new playstyle than you needed for Melee Dorf. It is redundant to compare the two.

Dragonboy2k4

Smash Ace
The thing that amazes me is the come back potential Ganon seems to have on captalizing on opponents mistakes.Being a Mario main myself,I could bust up 0-50%+ in terms of damage doing chain attacks and such,and Ganon here can just swing 2-3 times and equal my amounts of damage or more right back at me.

Hypa-Link

Smash Journeyman
You should definitely look back at Melee Ganondorf and then look at Brawl Ganondorf. He has been nerfed in a severe manner, which makes him not only pathetic, but also makes him one of the worst fighters in Brawl.
You sir, are insane.

except for his orgasmic Wizard's foot recovery, and spike, ganon is better in nearly everything else.

And Ganon >>>> Captain falcon's punk ***. In both games.

WastingPenguins

Smash Ace
Where'd all the scrubs come from? Sorry guys, you sucking at Melee does not mean that Ganon is better in Brawl. He's not garbage but overall he's a lot worse. This is a fact.

Hypa-Link

Smash Journeyman
^This is opinion.

It's just people have been using Link or Ganon or whoever for 7 years and the moment something changes they say "he teh suxxors now!11!!!"

Yes his wizard's foot spike and recovery was arguably the illest ish a character could have in melee, and that's gone.

But all of his special moves, and A moves are superior now. Aerial's are pretty much the same.

And his Flame Choke takes a HUGE dump on all of Melee Ganon's moves. a HUGE dump.

M Sidhe

Smash Rookie
Ganon takes a load of practice to become really good with him. I seconded him in Melee and kind-of-sort-of main with him in Brawl and I find him much easier to use. There are those that are good with Ganon and there those who suck and it's rare to find a guy in the middle because it takes a lot of experience and training to really become excellent with him. Sometimes I get 7 kills without dying with him online because I've learned to use his weight and power.

Ganon is truly a character that it takes a lot of experience to become good at and I really hate repeating myself but it's true. I liked in Melee for being, well, Ganon, but I disliked how he was a slower clone of Captain Falcon. I find him to be a totally different character now and enjoy using him. Most of the posts here are opinions anyway so I just decided to add my two cents.

Hypa-Link

Smash Journeyman
^^Thank you.

Cuz most of the people dissing Ganon don't even main or secondary him.

Buncha Boswer and Mario and Sonic mains.

ROFLCAKEZ.

I'll tell ya what Wasting Penguins, my Ganon'd **** your Bowser in a heartbeat. ;)

BELIEVE IT![/naruto]

M Sidhe

Smash Rookie
No problem, I've trained pretty darn hard as all the Zelda characters so I've become very good with all of them, say maybe Shiek. What they don't understand is that Ganon isn't a character you can just play for fun with or play once and expect to be good with him; I'm going to repeat myself again but he is a hard character to play as but once you get use to him you pretty much own the match as you sparta kick and A Forward your way to victory.

Hypa-Link

Smash Journeyman
A Forward for the muhfuccin win.

I'm working on this new combo and I've found even short characters like Kirby(not all shorties though, but I care the most about Kirby, lol), I can do it to following Flame Choke.

The only thing that makes me sad bout this Ganon is.

1. The weirder running animation.
2. His godly wizard's foot spike and triple jump being gone.

M Sidhe

Smash Rookie
Yeah, those bits do suck, however I normally never do Wizard's Foot in the air off the stage or near the side because of knowing I'd be screwed if I did.

My favorite combo for Ganon is flame choke and while the opponent is down on the ground I jump and do wizard's foot. My friends call it spamming but I call it owning. :D

IR.O.B.edC.Falcon

Smash Apprentice
"Weight has nothing to do with strategy."

Are you serious? This game is a lot more momentum based than melee. Of course weight has to do with strategy. Besides this game is a lot more strategy than anything.
Yea my choice of words was bad. From what i understood, he meant that because ganon is heavier, you have to more strategic. This isn't true. You have to be strategic with all characters, and ganon's weight doesn't mean you have to be more strategic with him.

deatscythe6

Smash Rookie
While I can't say much because I didn't main or second him in either game, I can say that I've noticed his nerfing. In melee, he was major badass, the only lvl 9 to even give a challenge period. Just his name would send that **** thunder spam flying in reverse. But now, he's a shell of what he used to be. Whereas a match in melee would be close with Marth, here in Brawl, I can KO him up to seven times without serious reprecussion. If he is to be king again, the player has to adapt to his change, take some time and sit down with him and make a bond (cheesy but sorta true). He has to fight his way back to the top one infinite ****/murder punch for every character. It won't be easy, but nothing that is worth it is easy. This is Brawl's true storyline, this is what they wanted you to do.

Hypa-Link

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, those bits do suck, however I normally never do Wizard's Foot in the air off the stage or near the side because of knowing I'd be screwed if I did.

My favorite combo for Ganon is flame choke and while the opponent is down on the ground I jump and do wizard's foot. My friends call it spamming but I call it owning. :D

^^ That's where the triple jump comes in.

Even if you jumped twice and did the wizard's foot spike, you get your second jump back.

That's what made it so GODLY. It's almost like cheating/unfair. lol

And the spike is unstoppable pretty much.

Ha owning, :p

LOL.

Yea I actually spent all yesterday trying to do that on CPU's, but I could never connect in time.(The flame choke + dair)

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
When people say Ganondorf is better than he is in Melee, I get the feeling they didn't really know how he worked in Melee. In Melee, he could actually build up damage to KO range in one go, because he had combos to speak of. Now he can get maybe 40% if his opponent really screws up. He needs to build up percent one hit at a time while most faster characters can deal him a lot of damage in much less time.

He is slower, because not only can he not SHFFL, but his air and ground speed are slower. Many of his moves come out slower. He is so slow overall, that most of the cast can just outspam him to victory.

His recovery now is ****. He's tied for worst horizontal recovery in the game, and has something in the neighborhood of the 8th shortest vertical recovery. He can barely ledgehop, and he's not obscenely hard to gimp.

Yes, he hits harder, and in some cases can KO earlier, and he has a good edgeguard. But people who pay attention just to his strengths have no place to say he's better than he was. He used to be able to do everything he can do now, but he could do more. Ergo, he is worse.

Hypa-Link

Smash Journeyman
Umm Ganondorf's vertical recovery is one of the best. And easily better than his melee recovery(vertically)

Well with the Flame Choke he actually has a special move that is godly instead of useless.

Nona

Power of the Nonado♥
I disagree.
Ganondorf is worse.
Why? He STILL doesn't have his sword.
:[

In melee, he was major badass, the only lvl 9 to even give a challenge period.
Quoted for truth.
Him &Bowser have given me &my cousin the only rule when fighting Melee computers:

Never jump above a Ganondorf, or stand below a Bowser.

Back to Ganon &not Bowser.
1) Ganondorf is heaver, harder to send flying. True. He's a ***** to KO off the side on walk-off stages, &don't get me started on Star KO's.
2) His heaviness gives his attacks much more knockback. They are easy to dodge &predict.
3) His side-b has combo potential and suicide potential Tell me about it.
4) His wizards foot is faster, has more range, and more knockback. But he doesn't get his second jump back.
5) His dash attack is much better. I tend to sidestep dodge that, so I'm not sure how great it is.
6) His Warlock Punch is faster, has more knockback, and can be reversed. But the "UWAAAAAGH!!" sound he makes after unleashing it doesn't sound like the old "RAHHHH-AGHHHH!" he makes during the whole Warlock Punch animation in Melee. the first part triggers the "run like a sissy" part of your brain.

All opinion, of course.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Umm Ganondorf's vertical recovery is one of the best. And easily better than his melee recovery(vertically)

Well with the Flame Choke he actually has a special move that is godly instead of useless.
If you think Ganondorf has "one of the best" vertical recoveries, you need to spend some time with MK, Pit, Dedede, ROB, Kirby and Lucas. All of them get at least twice the height that Ganon does. I don't know what you're doing with Ganon, but if you've managed to double the height of his recovery, I'd love to hear about it.

Calling Flame Choke godly is a bit of an overstatement. It's a great move and very versatile, but godly is Snakes' utilt, or Dedede's dthrow. These are both things that Flame Choke is not.

brg

Smash Ace
You sir, are insane.

except for his orgasmic Wizard's foot recovery, and spike, ganon is better in nearly everything else.

And Ganon >>>> Captain falcon's punk ***. In both games.
you gotta be the worst smash player ever to even think that *something* is more awesome than melee's captain falcon

Ban3

Smash Journeyman
is fighting for his friends at Sugar Land TEXAS
If you think Ganondorf has "one of the best" vertical recoveries, you need to spend some time with MK, Pit, Dedede, ROB, Kirby and Lucas. All of them get at least twice the height that Ganon does. I don't know what you're doing with Ganon, but if you've managed to double the height of his recovery, I'd love to hear about it.

Calling Flame Choke godly is a bit of an overstatement. It's a great move and very versatile, but godly is Snakes' utilt, or Dedede's dthrow. These are both things that Flame Choke is not.
qft
10 CHARIZARDS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom