• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ganon Traps

Koskinator

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3308-4564-8881
Well, not traps perse, but people getting hit by things they normally wouldn't get hit by. A big part of it is mindgames. For example, from 0. Retreating thunderstorm to punish a roll, then as they fall back to the ground, hopefully an airdodge or nair or something, fsmash. Its like a 48% combo. Also, if you have an opponent high above you, try doing an empty full hop to sike your opponent into airdodging, then punish the airdodge with a uair or fair. I'm sure alot of you already know this stuff, but its good stuff to know and brush up on. Another thing is like, flame choke dtilt into multiple dtilts from 0. Many people will just airdodge the first dtilt and fall into another. Some really stupid people will get hit by like, 3 in a row. There are also a lot of flame choke mindgames. Like, flame choke, but dont followup with anything just to see what kind of DI their using. If you do flame choke and see they are always DI'ing behind you, flame choke then fsmash. Also, this is something I really need to get back into the habbit of. Straight up using Dair as a spike. Ever since I've gotten good at reverse tipmanning, I've been neglecting my Dair as a spike. That **** kills at like 30%. Use it more guys. But yeah, just felt like reitterating a few point to you guys.

<3 Kosk

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Simple, yet good stuff there, Kosk.

Double-jump-mindgames against falling opponents, then Fsmash in their landing lag is something I do pretty often.

I might sound noob, but wut is "reverse Tipmanning"?
Is it when youre facing the opponent and hit him with the very last hitbox of Uair?

Zerxion

Smash Apprentice
I like doing utilt when their shield is low to shield break to reverse Warlock Punch, mindgaemz extreme.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Actually I reverse tipman gimp people a lot. O_o

There is a part of the U-air at the end that DOES semi-spike people in front of you and pushes them away from the stage. I think it is in Ganon's thigh. Usually I land this when I miss the initial hitbox of the U-air when edgeguarding, but the attack lingers and surprises the **** out of someone who didn't expect it to linger that long.

I find it really hard to spike people consistently with Ganon's D-air. I don't have good control over whether or not I want to fastfall it, and it doesn't cover as much area as the U-air. I usually get hit by some nonsense when I try to spike someone.

@HomE

Smash Ace
I'm a HUGE fan of the spikes Ganon has to offer (one of the reasons I play ganon is because he has the strongest spike in the game) the brutal D-air and the underated and sexy Down-B spike are both fantastic IMO. But in a match when I have to decide to try to gimp or spike it really depends on the character and situation, with my enemy at low %'s maybe 10% - 30% I love going for the spike, early kills for ganon generally make my opponent anxious and more aggressive, hopefully causing them to make more mistakes... But if i see a chance of getting counter spiked or if they are at 70%+ I don't really see a reason to spike because, almost all of my moves can kill at that point anyway..\

Just my 2 cents

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
Also, this is something I really need to get back into the habbit of. Straight up using Dair as a spike. Ever since I've gotten good at reverse tipmanning, I've been neglecting my Dair as a spike. That **** kills at like 30%. Use it more guys. But yeah, just felt like reitterating a few point to you guys.
lol, too good.

Rest of us have to get those tipmans before we can unlearn to murdalize people with the thunder spike.

EDIT: Also, words you're looking for are "per se," "psych," and "reiterating." I know the others were mere typos. *thumbup*

@HomE, I don't think you should ever hold the spike back. Spikes have a profound mental factor that cannot be ignored. If it builds your confidence incomparably to fight out the K.O. "normally" over a spike, then that's fine for you, but generally, a spike can be a blow to your opponent's nerves - it at least will get you respect.

Personally I love the way the stock suddenly ends, and the moment of repose Ganon gets on stage.

Besides, what did we agree on? Edgeguard like your life depends on it. Forget about "counter spike" ****. The only person I ain't going against is a Marth coming in high. (He gets a Smash :demon:)

Clai

Smash Lord
Where men are born and champions are raised
Also, this is something I really need to get back into the habbit of. Straight up using Dair as a spike. Ever since I've gotten good at reverse tipmanning, I've been neglecting my Dair as a spike. That **** kills at like 30%. Use it more guys.
Yeah, Koskinator, start playing like a man! :p

Spikes have been part of my gameplay for ever, and there is nothing more satisfying than brutally murdering someone with Ganon's stomp. It's so useful against enemies with vertical recoveries, you just have to time your stomp with when they have to use their up+B to get back to the stage. Once you pull it off, you just grab any sense of momemtum the other guy has.

DK and Bowser take some getting adjusted to, but thankfully I play DK often, so spiking these two have become beyond easy. Note when they're going to move horizontally, make sure you're completely over them (a full-hop usually works) and then intercept them with a non-fastfalled d-air. These two just get wrecked by the spike.

A2ZOMG, I understand what you mean with the fast-fall control. If you're trying to run off the stage or drop from the ledge and spike, you have to wait a small bit before you attempt the attack or else the game registers you pressing down as a fastfall, no matter how gentle you press it. Otherwise, just make sure you don't tap the control stick or press it too much and you should be able to keep yourself from fastfalling. Also, Wizard Foot Cancels (pardom my terminology, I hope this is the cancel where you kick towards the ledge instead of towards the center) into thunderstomp = instant win.

My favorite mindgame to do by far, though, is to try and bait the other person to lash out an attack while they're recovering to avoid getting stomped and instead own them with a down-B spike. Their hit cancels our move and our spike sends them down. Considering that you will die if you actually do a Wizard Kick off the stage, it's the ultimate risk -> MANLY reward technique.

<3 Spikes.

Squirrely

Smash Journeyman
I give so many props to people who down-b spike off the stage. That takes balls balls balls. Don't think I didn't appreciate your game winning off-stage down-b spike on me, Ray_Kalm. I saved it for this ganon video everyone's been raving about. Spikes are my favorite aspect of Smash and always has been. I've been trying to practice u-air gimping recently but spikes still hold a large angry part of my heart. Ganon's spike is the main reason I still play him. His spikes are beast but bless his heart he could be so much better.

DLA

"Their anguish was my nourishment."
NNID
DLAhhh
I'm having the exact same issue, Kosk. I've been really neglecting my Dair spike, but I'm getting really good with the tipman. The only time I've really been using Dair offstage is in the rare situation that both of us are offstage and I'm above them. I usually try to fastfall into a Dair and hope it catches them.

Nice perspective, it's always good to brush up on the basics every once in a while.

ZeonStar

Smash Ace
Yeah, the mindgames with retreating and moving D-air is a main part of Ganon's metagame, It basically proves that ganon is a character that wins by mindgames. You must add this to your arsenal if you expect to be good with Ganondorf in the long run.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Heh, it's the opposite for me: I have a lot of trouble getting tipman gimps, but Dair spikes are almost my specialty when it comes to Ganon.
One way I've found often works is either run off or jump at the edge and whiff a spike to make your opponent think it's safe (it's Ganon after all. No one expects him to use both jumps on gimps/spikes.), then do a rising stomp back towards the stage. This usually even leaves you close enough to the edge to edgehog if you missed your spikes.

Seems to work for me anyway.

Top Bottom