• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gamestop Tournament Tips and Info!

ThePUNK

Smash Apprentice
Yeah if i were you guys i would study up on Ike for right now, he seems like the best candidate for the 1 min match and he is easier to pick up and play.

Strag

Smash Cadet
Anybody know if the Gamestop Brawl demos are coming out at all this week?

Sure, it's only 4 days, but it could be days where you can practice for the upcoming tourney.

My gamestop said they should've gotten it last week, but they said they could have it today.

Ban Heim

Smash Ace
Anybody know if the Gamestop Brawl demos are coming out at all this week?

Sure, it's only 4 days, but it could be days where you can practice for the upcoming tourney.

My gamestop said they should've gotten it last week, but they said they could have it today.
I heard they were supposed to be getting them today. I'm stopping by the two local gamestops after school to check.

SarsVirus

Smash Cadet
gamestop are getting brawl demos?? ahah time to practiseee! haha fing wiimote confusing hard to use piece of shiz mm anyone know if king dedede might be good for first round? i think i might use ike just to be safe

Tyrael64

Smash Journeyman
What about Pikachu? Is he similar to melee? I heard his Down B is pure **** now. Is it better to pick a character that's similar to Melee, like Pikachu or Fox, so you already know what to use with them? Or pick a newcomer like Ike and hope you get the hang of it?

Pyronic_Star

Smash Champion
ok, i have a really important question....that could increase chances of winning for most...

ok, some gamestops are having tournaments at different times, for example, my local gamestop is holding there tournament at 9am on sunday, then another is doing theirs at 2 pm sunday, and this other is holding one at 2 pm on saturday, so my question is...what are the rules about entering several tournamnts and how would this be detected if this is indeed against the rules?

if there isn't anything against this or a way around it....then i could have threee chances of winning opposed to one

Glix

Smash Cadet
Talk to the employee running the tourney at your local gamestop! It looks like they have some leeway with the rules.

I went in the other day, and the place was pretty empty, so I was able to talk to the guy a little. He is NOT using the official rules!!

He said we could bring our own controllers as long as they don't have macros and stuff built in.

He said they are going to do stock matches.

He said they are going to use the "fair" stages , but not all the stages, and not just final destination.

Ban Heim

Smash Ace
What about Pikachu? Is he similar to melee? I heard his Down B is pure **** now. Is it better to pick a character that's similar to Melee, like Pikachu or Fox, so you already know what to use with them? Or pick a newcomer like Ike and hope you get the hang of it?
If you're good with Pikachu or Fox, they'd both be good choices, especially Pikachu after all the buffs he's received. A friend of mine is picking him and he's probably my biggest roadblock to threat.

Gannondorf the fifth

Smash Apprentice
I'd really doubt that, but it'll be awesome if it's true. Where did you hear this?
It is false, check out gamestop's website on the brawl tournament. 1 minute, items matches. The rate of the item spawns is unknown to me. I know at my gamestop, and i think around the nation, only the wii-mote and nunchuck are useable AND they provide them there; you can't bring your own. It sucks MASSIVE balls, but if you wanna win, try to exploit as hard as you can...maybe piss off the guy you're playing. lol

ThePUNK

Smash Apprentice
It is false, check out gamestop's website on the brawl tournament. 1 minute, items matches. The rate of the item spawns is unknown to me. I know at my gamestop, and i think around the nation, only the wii-mote and nunchuck are useable AND they provide them there; you can't bring your own. It sucks MASSIVE balls, but if you wanna win, try to exploit as hard as you can...maybe piss off the guy you're playing. lol
Well the only way to really know for sure is to call you gamestop, some gamestops are running these tournements any way they want so . . . yeah just call them up and see what they say.

S2

Smash Lord
If you want to do well, I'd pick a character you know. Both of those characters are good in Brawl anyways.

Do not expect these tournaments to be fair at all. This is a good reminder of why tournament rules are the way they are.

Gannondorf the fifth

Smash Apprentice
Well the only way to really know for sure is to call you gamestop, some gamestops are running these tournements any way they want so . . . yeah just call them up and see what they say.
You're partially correct. I visited my gamestop and talked to the "GTD" myself, or the "referee" if you will, of the entire tournament. The rules are sanctioned by nintendo, and they aren't allowed to make their own.

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
Talk to the employee running the tourney at your local gamestop! It looks like they have some leeway with the rules.

I went in the other day, and the place was pretty empty, so I was able to talk to the guy a little. He is NOT using the official rules!!

He said we could bring our own controllers as long as they don't have macros and stuff built in.

He said they are going to do stock matches.

He said they are going to use the "fair" stages , but not all the stages, and not just final destination.
And where exactly do you live?

this thread is hilarious
And you're not.

:: In all seriousness though, I don't think the Fox players have to worry too much about the Shine Spiking. Remember, 1st Round tournament has A LOT of casual players and first timers so it won't be that big of a deal...just watch out for mistaken a Side B.

hisshouburaiken

Smash Cadet
Managers - How many entries is each store allowed to accept? I know the tourney mode accepts up to 64 but when I went to my gamestop to sign up there were only like 10 people (including me).

Golem the Stern Father

Smash Champion
TyfighterLAND. Location#2: Illinois? Yeah.
It's kind of funny for my area. I asked a retailer about information, he told me it started at 10:00 am on March 8th (and he told me that there was no registration, plus, he thought no one would show up and would win their prize by default)
I can go to about 3 Gamestops that are about 15 minutes away from my home. I can pick and choose, but form the list of locations, but it only applies for 2 sites for my city. (look at the link on my sig for the city)
So I'm wondering, what will be going on at the other Gamestops that do not support the masssive tournament?

fums63

Smash Apprentice
ok this is a good topic.
i mained marth and ice climbers in melee and i was also decent with: falco, ganondorf, yoshi, pikachu, and kirby.
but I cant decide who to use at the tournament.
the characters i'm looking forward to most in brawl are: ike, pokemon trainer, olimar, meat knight, and dedede (in that order)
how easy are each to pick up? please help if you can.

Golem the Stern Father

Smash Champion
TyfighterLAND. Location#2: Illinois? Yeah.
ok this is a good topic.
i mained marth and ice climbers in melee and i was also decent with: falco, ganondorf, yoshi, pikachu, and kirby.
but I cant decide who to use at the tournament.
the characters i'm looking forward to most in brawl are: ike, pokemon trainer, olimar, meat knight, and dedede (in that order)
how easy are each to pick up? please help if you can.
The feel for the wii controller and nunchuck feels a little weird, so I suggest someone who isn't really fast in the beginning. Based off of your character list, I would recommend Kirby. He seems much better than his Melee counterpart, with better range and specific killing moves. If not, than the Ice Climbers.

Snakeee

Smash Master
Ah man that sucks, but all well. Also, my Game Stop actually said that it is nunchuck + wiimote, BUT YOU HAVE TO BRING IT YOURSELF! I think this is pretty stupid and if its like this at any others people without a Wii are going to have some trouble.

I don't need to exploit the items really, im just going to beast on people and not give them any room to try to get items lol. (I will exploit ZSS's armor though, and probably take a stock off just with them :laugh:)

Strag

Smash Cadet
No go on the demos you guys...and I live in TX btw, where the gamestop headquarters is.

I would recommend checking this weekend (Start Friday...).

Linkster47

Smash Apprentice
Earlier in the thread I said that my local Gamestop was having BYOC, but they changed it and some other things.

I signed up on Tuesday, March 4th, at 7:15 PM(Eastern Time). Only 13 people besides me were signed up. Most were young.

The GTD and the other employe there said that they will supply controllers, Nunchuck+Wiimote, and you can NOT use your own. They said items would be on, but not items like the heart container/healing, mushroom/metal box/star, and I THINK items like the hammer/homerun bat. I didn't ask about FS's. The only stage they said would be on is Battlefield.

You should go much prior to the tournament and practice with Wii+Nunchuck if you haven't played the game.

I don't think many Gamestops are sure what's going on yet.

fums63

Smash Apprentice
ok my other questions still up for asking but also whats a good time to get to gamestop before theres a big line? i can't go if the line is too long...

Ti11erTheKi11er

Smash Apprentice
ok my other questions still up for asking but also whats a good time to get to gamestop before theres a big line? i can't go if the line is too long...
You have to call the gamestop your are attending for this tournament....mine said they open doors at 11PM so get here before 10:30 to wait in line 10 to be safe he said.......every gamestop is different give them a ring and they will let you know what you got to do

fums63

Smash Apprentice
You have to call the gamestop your are attending for this tournament....mine said they open doors at 11PM so get here before 10:30 to wait in line 10 to be safe he said.......every gamestop is different give them a ring and they will let you know what you got to do
alright thanks.

mezbomber

Smash Journeyman
I've been practicing on the nunchuk setup for a while...I'm so used to teching with my right pointer, and it sucks learning to tech with my right thumb. I'm a little disappointed that it sounds like a majority of people are gonna play Ike. Not that this is anything close to tourney standards, but is this a glimpse into what the Brawl tourney scene is gonna look like? Nothing but Ike?

he has great KO power, but other characters are not far off from him...Dedede, Pikachu, Kirby, Zelda are all super exploitable.

I'm glad there's no sudden death, but really these matches are gonna come down to whoever can use their final smash or dragoon first. KOs within a minute are soooo rare in this game. A majority of us need to expect to lose to some little **** getting lucky.

Snakeee

Smash Master
I've been practicing on the nunchuk setup for a while...I'm so used to teching with my right pointer, and it sucks learning to tech with my right thumb. I'm a little disappointed that it sounds like a majority of people are gonna play Ike. Not that this is anything close to tourney standards, but is this a glimpse into what the Brawl tourney scene is gonna look like? Nothing but Ike?

he has great KO power, but other characters are not far off from him...Dedede, Pikachu, Kirby, Zelda are all super exploitable.

I'm glad there's no sudden death, but really these matches are gonna come down to whoever can use their final smash or dragoon first. KOs within a minute are soooo rare in this game. A majority of us need to expect to lose to some little **** getting lucky.
For the first round I don't think you're gonna have to worry much about teching.
And, no way is everyone gonna use Ike its just for this one "tourney" he'd be a good bet to use because of its stupidity.
You have this game, and don't think you can KO someone once in under a minute? That's plenty of time against novices at least.
I'm not even worried about items. I'm not going to give anyone much of a chance to use them. If you're not using Ike, I suggest a fast character because of the items, but a character that can also KO.

Tmnt1837

Smash Cadet
Well I'm going and I'll probably use ike since he could have the easiest time knocking out someone in 1 minute. A little tip from me is that after you kill them, to kill yourself. They will have -1 while you will have 0 and have your percent back at 0 and just tank out the rest of the match.
Not in brawl. In brawl the kill goes to the last person to hit you if you fall off. So you will really just tie up the match.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
I'll be abusing D3's chaingrab. Since most of the people I will be playing haven't played the game yet, they won't know how to get out of it.

I stated earlier that I would go Ike, but I'm too worried about getting gimped off the stage.

dragonbladeclock

Smash Cadet
You need a legal guadian or parent to sign you up!? Oh noes, I'm not gonna be with my parents, I'm gonna be with my friend and his parents for the midnight release. Is it possible to get the form early so I can get it signed now?
Also, I plan on using Ike. I'm not trying to join the bandwagon, he has been my number one choice since he was announced.

Zevox

Smash Lord
What time does the tournament start? before or after midnight?
Haven't heard of any place where it starts after, but it seems to vary based on location. Mine is starting at 10 p.m. Many others are starting at 9. A few have been reported to be starting even earlier. I'd suggest checking with your local store to be sure.

Zevox

Dingding123

Smash Journeyman
I'm gonna be usin Link, despite all the Ikes out there. Link is not only faster than his melee counterpart, but his projectiles are great as well. Considering his speed boost, he should be able to grab items faster than most slow (*cough* IKE *cough*) characters out there. Also, his projectiles have improved, the arrows and bombs especially. For crying out loud, his bombs actually KLL people in Sudden Death now! He can also adapt to any situation because of his balance of swordplay and projectiles. For example, my main priority against close-up characters (*cough*IKE*cough*) will be projectiles.

I've got three tips for everyone entering the 1st round of the brawl tourney:

1.) DO NOT PANIC. Panicking on the first match will throw all of your strategies (and possibly your chance of survival) out the window. For everyone out there who hasn't gotten a chance to play brawl yet (like me... :( ), you are not alone.

2.) ITEMS ARE CHEAP, BUT STILL MORE THAN JUST GOOD. Picking up quick items, such as the pill thingies and items outside of boxes ready to use, are essential for killing the chump who dared to mess with you. Any way you look at it, you can't live (or kill the guy, for that matter), without them. Oh, and don't pick up heavy crates and such if your opponent is RIGHT THERE IN YOUR FACE.

2.5) WATCH OUT FOR EXPLOSIVES!!!!!!!!!@@@*#$Y#*$!$&##%*^!$_*@

3.) GET AHOLD OF YOUR CHARACTER! In the minute you have fighting the guy, you won't be able to master your character, but try to find something that works and STICK TO IT IF IT WORKS! If it doesn't work, well, try something else! Use experimentation as a last resort, however. By the time your opponent can counter your little strategy, there's probably a shiny new hammer over in the corner of the stage with your name on it.

One last thing: TRY TO HAVE FUN!!! If you lose in this tourney, don't worry; there will most likely be MANY more tournaments, and thusly MANY more chances for you to pwn someone, and without any cheap items
or one-minute matches. The game is about having fun, but if you feel like your mad skillz can go a bit farther than your couch, then go for it! Just make sure it doesn't become frustrating, because that is the EXACT opposite of what Nintendo made this game for.

:bee: GOOD LUCK AT TEH TOURNEY!!!!!!!! :bee:

MeleeFan25

Smash Cadet
****, didnt know that brawl was going to be used, and you havent got to have practice on the japanese version, so use a charactor you have used in melee that seem good to you, hope you can win, and hope to god they dont make you use the wii remote

Dreiko

Smash Journeyman
I'm gonna be using P.trainer....ivisaur has equally as strong if not stronger KO moves as Ike and charizard has a great recovery and great KO moves too...and in a one min match i shouldn't even have to use squirtle...also P.traner's FS owns.

Top Bottom