• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gamestop Tournament Tips and Info!

ThePUNK

Smash Apprentice
Wait is the tournament at Midnight or during the daytime?
You should call up what gamestop you will be going to to verify but most gamestops will have sign ups at 9:30 and start at ten. The gamestop stores are listed on the front post with there numbers.

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
How do I get my Gamestop to offer a prize? My gamestop is listed online, and is having a tourney, but isn't offering any prizes to the winner of the first round. Any tips on what to tell them?
..Well, I don't really think you'll convince a Gamestop...especially now. Just try and get to round 2.;)

this is just so funny.
we are working up cheap strategies just to beat casual players.
all because the rules force us to.
what happens when we find a competitive player that will see through your strat? by then it will be too late.
Well, I don't really think we need strategies for casual's but for the advanced. (E.g.) Earlier, Power hitters have been mentioned for the first round for the kill..thats not much strategie. We know some early Brawl techniques that should already help us blow through the casuals anyways. Now for competitive players, well, I actually might not make it that far...it depends on how well I can use the Wiimote+Nunchuk combo.:/

Wait is the tournament at Midnight or during the daytime?
For the most part, it's shooting towards midnight tournaments but someone here said theirs was in the afternoon so check that.

You should call up what gamestop you will be going to to verify but most gamestops will have sign ups at 9:30 and start at ten. The gamestop stores are listed on the front post with there numbers.
I know you said most but my gamestop already did sign ups and starts at 9:00/12:00..

Quill

Smash Journeyman
Would Meta-night be to hard to use for the first round? and will i be able to use marth for the first round?
Marth will most likely not be available.

Meta knight is easy to use (his moves have alot of priority) but he's hard to ko with. Consider you will only have a minute to rack up a kill before you choose Metaknight.

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
Would Meta-night be to hard to use for the first round? and will i be able to use marth for the first round?
Marth will most likely not be available.

Meta knight is easy to use (his moves have alot of priority) but he's hard to ko with. Consider you will only have a minute to rack up a kill before you choose Metaknight.
@Graves: It's Meta-Knight..not night. Aside from that, he lacks a quick K.O. move, especially for a one minute match...but then you have the items..I wouldn't advise it but its up to you.

@Graves-Quill: Only starting characters will be available so Marth isn't playable for it.

FS Fantom

Free Saltines
NNID
Sbfantom
My plan is to just use Pit -- Get them off the stage, run right off, a fair/bair then fly back and edgehog.

I played with Wiimote/nunchuck for the first time this morning. Far and away the WORST of the 4 schemes.

ThePUNK

Smash Apprentice
My plan is to just use Pit -- Get them off the stage, run right off, a fair/bair then fly back and edgehog.

I played with Wiimote/nunchuck for the first time this morning. Far and away the WORST of the 4 schemes.
Yeah I thought it would be kinda hard to play with :ohwell: but im ganna have to try to do my best. How long does it take to be able to use effectively?

FS Fantom

Free Saltines
NNID
Sbfantom
I'm still not used to it.

I keep doing specials instead of shielding, because the B trigger is where my finger WOULD be for the R button to shield on a regular controller.

And I can't get used to C-jumping, so I'm using the stick >_>

Since there's a chance I'll be the only one with experience in the control scheme, and brawl at all, I plan on just rolling around, spamming smashes/forward b and playing REAL conservative.

I'm just going to be a little upset when I die to a random hammer, Kyogre (broken ****) or bomb spawning in front of a launching arrow :(

SarsVirus

Smash Cadet
sigh is king dedede an available char? in the tourny haha i feel like ima lose to a casual player cuz no gc controller nd items on T.T

FS Fantom

Free Saltines
NNID
Sbfantom
sigh is king dedede an available char? in the tourny haha i feel like ima lose to a casual player cuz no gc controller nd items on T.T
DeDeDe is unlocked from the start, so you can use him.

The first round is going to be really noob-friendly, due to being able to win off one lucky item KO.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
i think this tournament is bull**** to begin with. items, wiimote, and access only to the starting characters might be the most idiotic pretense i've ever heard of in smash. what are they thinking? still, the gamestop im buying brawl at has this tourny so i guess it doesnt hurt to enter and see if by some miracle i win the first round.

Ban Heim

Smash Ace

@Graves-Quill: Only starting characters will be available so Marth isn't playable for it.
Quit saying **** like it's a fact.

If they do set up Brawl kiosks ahead of time (which they are supposedly doing sometime within the next few days), people will have played 450 matches by the time the tournament begins and Marth (and all other characters) will be unlocked by then.

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
Quit saying **** like it's a fact.

If they do set up Brawl kiosks ahead of time (which they are supposedly doing sometime within the next few days), people will have played 450 matches by the time the tournament begins and Marth (and all other characters) will be unlocked by then.
You really need to calm down.

Unfortunately, according to my gamestop(and a TON of others), it will be the starting roster only. I actually asked the gamestop myself and they said it would be a new disk meaning only starting characters. I guess I should put "may vary on location"...but stop acting like you know this stuff.

Ban Heim

Smash Ace
You really need to calm down.

Unfortunately, according to my gamestop(and a TON of others), it will be the starting roster only. I actually asked the gamestop myself and they said it would be a new disk meaning only starting characters. I guess I should put "may vary on location"...but stop acting like you know this stuff.
Haha, that's funny. Where did I put that this was a sure thing? Notice it says "IF," not "WHEN." There's a big difference between how I worded my sentence and how you worded yours.

Also, there was a thread earlier in which a guy who works at gamestop said that the stores should be getting Brawl on March 5th and that they are to replace the Mario Galaxy disc with a copy of Brawl. It is only a rumor, but if this is the case (notice I said "IF" again...don't make the same mistake as last time) then there's no reason for only the starting roster to be allowed unless they either A) erase all data or B) swap in a brand new disc.

I'm heading to gamestop either today or tomorrow and I'll find out what my gamestop is planning on doing. If the stores do get a copy of Brawl set up at their kiosks, you can expect the entire roster.

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
Haha, that's funny. Where did I put that this was a sure thing? Notice it says "IF," not "WHEN." There's a big difference between how I worded my sentence and how you worded yours.

Also, there was a thread earlier in which a guy who works at gamestop said that the stores should be getting Brawl on March 5th and that they are to replace the Mario Galaxy disc with a copy of Brawl. It is only a rumor, but if this is the case (notice I said "IF" again...don't make the same mistake as last time) then there's no reason for only the starting roster to be allowed unless they either A) erase all data or B) swap in a brand new disc.

I'm heading to gamestop either today or tomorrow and I'll find out what my gamestop is planning on doing. If the stores do get a copy of Brawl set up at their kiosks, you can expect the entire roster.
Again, I am going by the infromation my Gamestop told me. And I just finished PM'ing a Gamestop Manager here that told me it would be starting roster only.

Aside from this, we should really be getting back to tips for this topic..we are getting off.

{EDIT} He just posted too.

O D I N

Smash Hero
GameAngel64's house, getting my @#% handed to me.
3DS FC
4098-3123-8629

Putting the game into the system (to replace Galaxy) will be up to the individual Gamestops. My district sucks, so I'm sure my store won't be doing that.

I'm a manager at Gamestop; here's what I heard about the tourney.

1 vs 1, 1 minute rounds (up until the last rounds of the tourney).

Items on, probably on high.

Starting roster only.

Tournament mode.

Nunchuck+Wiimote controller scheme only.

The reason the rules are like this, are because this is a Nintendo sponsored tournament, and it's going to be played by their rules. I know it sucks, but that's the way it is. T_T

AttackstorM

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2122-8193-6919
Wow man people really need to go read the entire rules.

There is no sudden death. The contestants have a rematch.
this is a quote from the first page but not sure if this was answered already but how is there no sudden death if they are using the automated tournament mode!?!?!?!!?

DarkPhoenix87

Smash Apprentice
My take on the whole thing: This will just be a fun tournament. It doesn't really offer any prizes, except to the top 8 finishers in the country, so everyone else will just be S.O.L. as far as that goes. As for pride, there's really no pride in winning this tournament, since the rules are seriously gimped and not conducive to competition. There's a chance that the winner will turn out to be a really good player, but I can't see this necessarily translating into any future wins.

So I'm going to go there, and just play because I'm obsessed with Smash Bros., not because I want to win. I think there are going to be more worthwhile tournaments coming up within the next few months anyways. If you're looking for competition, just wait for some that members of Smash Boards set up. They'll be far more rewarding and less...corporate.

Or better yet, you can use the Gamestop tournament as a chance to network and set up future tournaments in your area. Tournaments where you win prizes the same day.

Anyways, just have fun. The payoff is good if you have the dedication, but to me it's just not worth the hassle, especially due to the rules.

beyond_the_grave

Smash Rookie
I have a queston. I am wondering whether to use either Fox or Lucas. I was better with Fox in Melee (and I wasn't very tech heavy either) but I was pretty good with Ness in Melee too and I hear Lucas is good.

Which is a more viable choice for the tournament (I assume that I will run into a scrub in the first round at least).

NoNessNoProblem

Smash Ace
I have a queston. I am wondering whether to use either Fox or Lucas. I was better with Fox in Melee (and I wasn't very tech heavy either) but I was pretty good with Ness in Melee too and I hear Lucas is good.

Which is a more viable choice for the tournament (I assume that I will run into a scrub in the first round at least).
we'll i'd use fox because you might screw up on PK thunder with the wiimote..if you use lucas just spam PK fire and hit them with your stick..

What's The Point

Smash Master
I'd suggest Fox, due to Lucas having a PK Thunder recovery. Matches will probably be determined by one kill, and it's single elimination. Since I take it that this will be your first time with Brawl, it will be a lot easier to mess up recovering as Lucas due to unfamiliarity with the curving and speed of PK Thunder.

Talon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Talon
3DS FC
0404-8185-5062

If you pick fox just shine the heck out of `em and force them off the stage that way.Thats one of my strategies for this gimped tourney to pull a fast win.

Libomasus

Smash Journeyman
Fox can shine stall, and it'll be ten times easier in a one minute match. Shine spike seriously screws people up too, so I'm going with him.

masterbraz

Smash Apprentice
I mained peach in melee. Would i be fine with her, even though she is nerfed? Or i was thinking DDD or Ike. Can anyone give me some advice?

Quill

Smash Journeyman
I mained peach in melee. Would i be fine with her, even though she is nerfed? Or i was thinking DDD or Ike. Can anyone give me some advice?
I can tell you as a Peach player myself that she will feel similar but it's alot harder to ko with her. You might want to pick her just to feel more confident but if you really want those kos go with someone else.

DDD or Ike. :)

FS Fantom

Free Saltines
NNID
Sbfantom
wow haha never thought of that. will it work that way if the nunchuck is pluged in though?
No, it won't.

If the nunchuck is plugged in and you turn the wiimote sideways, it still thinks it's Wiimote/Nunchuck.

You need to unplug the nunchuck completely O_o

Dreiko

Smash Journeyman
Btw how do you jump with the nunchuck+mote...i somehow never wondered than until now lol.

ErciChewman

Smash Ace
Most gamestops from what i've heard are NOT using items.

Also, fox users, you will have a very hard time shine spiking...most characters have really great recovery and can easily survive a shine off the stage, it just doesn't "spike" like it used to, so it might actually be risky, you could accidently side-b to your doom or get stage spiked by a character with multiple jumps.

Talon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Talon
3DS FC
0404-8185-5062
Btw how do you jump with the nunchuck+mote...i somehow never wondered than until now lol.
Last time I checked,most people say you can use the C-button or analog stick normally.Not for sure.Nunchuk+wiimote confuses me...>_<

Talon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Talon
3DS FC
0404-8185-5062
Most gamestops from what i've heard are NOT using items.

Also, fox users, you will have a very hard time shine spiking...most characters have really great recovery and can easily survive a shine off the stage, it just doesn't "spike" like it used to, so it might actually be risky, you could accidently side-b to your doom or get stage spiked by a character with multiple jumps.
Hopefully my gamestop won't be using items.As for shining techs,I'll have to take my chances.I'm a well balanced fox player so I'll have to feel my way with brawl's gameplay and adapt quickly.

Top Bottom