• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gamestop Tournament Tips and Info!

Mr. L

Smash Cadet
I'll be using Ike in tournament. He may be slow but he more than makes up for it with Great Aether and the like. I honestly see him being the most used at the tournaments (considering Sonic isn't available or he'll be spammed by noobs).

Ban Heim

Smash Ace
I'll be using Ike in tournament. He may be slow but he more than makes up for it with Great Aether and the like. I honestly see him being the most used at the tournaments (considering Sonic isn't available or he'll be spammed by noobs).
Also, he sucks.

Blu-ninja

Smash Journeyman
You only have to hold the button down until you reach the stage select screen. It'll probably be Wiimote + Nunchuck so that'll be Z, the bigger shoulder button on the nunchuck.

ZSS players, DO NOT use her D air when you play. This is a precaution that can save you the game believe me.
yeah, that kick that stops in the air then comes down?

never really liked it..but din't know it was her down A.

thanks for that!

Dustero

Smash Journeyman
I'm going to be using Mario in the tournament. I don't think that many people will be using him. I think that I'll be the only one using him in the first round of the tournament at my Gamestop.

Blu-ninja

Smash Journeyman
I'm going to be using Mario in the tournament. I don't think that many people will be using him. I think that I'll be the only one using him in the first round of the tournament at my Gamestop.
if its at my gamestop, dont count on it.

:laugh:

my friend is a HUGE mario maining mario fan...

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
I'm not too sure whether you meant to first round of the first round or just the first round of the 4 rounds because You can only use 1 character the whole way through since their using the in game tournament thing. If u just meant the first round of the 4 then nvm.

Blu-ninja

Smash Journeyman
I'm not too sure whether you meant to first round of the first round or just the first round of the 4 rounds because You can only use 1 character the whole way through since their using the in game tournament thing. If u just meant the first round of the 4 then nvm.
crap.

are you serious?

looks like my "ZSS ONLY" smash career starts now...

Zevox

Smash Lord
Well, I've pretty much settled on using Ike. Watching videos of him, Dedede, and Lucas, I believe he'll be the easiest of the bunch for me to pick up. He may be slow in general, but he has enough quick attacks to make up for that, and just watching the videos I can already see some potential combos and tricks to use with him. Plus he at least shares one trait of Marth's I like, his tremendous reach with his attacks. Once I adjust to the Wiimote + Nunchuk control scheme, I ought to be able to do well enough against anyone who didn't import the game.

Zevox

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Yeah, their using the in game tournament. So assuming you've played melee tournament. You can't switch your character. I suggest get time to practice. Gamestop gets brawl march 4th so they will probably have it up and playable at the store. Check out at your local gamestop sometime before saturday to see if its there and if it is practice like crazy or unlock a character that isn't there yet.

Snake - play 10 matchs on shadow moses
Ness - play 5 brawls
Luigi - play 22 brawls
Marth - play 10 brawls
Lucario - beat all 5 target stages with 1 character.
Falco - beat 100 man brawl

Easy as that so for people who want to use those characters try unlocking them b4 the tourny because thats how easy they are to unlock.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
yup.

been to one.

im fully ok with it.

:laugh:
No, not a melee tourny where you go play other people and best of 3 and stuff. I'm talking about the tournament option on Melee. competitive play dosn't use it but this tourny will. U can normally change your character in a competitive tournament.

Phlemingo

Smash Ace
I think the ideal character to use with this type of tournament setting would be King Dedede.
You could spam Waddle Dee's while taking all items, chaingrab, he's a heavyweight, he has good range and good power

Blu-ninja

Smash Journeyman
No, not a melee tourny where you go play other people and best of 3 and stuff. I'm talking about the tournament option on Melee. competitive play dosn't use it but this tourny will. U can normally change your character in a competitive tournament.
oh sorry..thats what i ment.

but sometimes the tourney i got to uses tournament mode.

AdmantNESS

Smash Ace
So will it be the starting roster only? Or the full roster? I read the rules, but it didn't mention what characters will be available.

SilentDrifterZ

Smash Ace
I just came back from my Gamestop. All I got from them is:

-Wiimote and Nunchuk
- Possible starting characters only
- Brawl only.

They don't seem to know what they're doing either, and they don't like how Gamestop set up the rules on the net, cause it's confusing lol but they're trying to tell as much information as they can and know.

C Dawg009

Smash Cadet
Something just occured to me. If the 274 district winners go to regional locations, then how do they split everyone up? Are you assigned a location? Do some people get byes, as 26 does NOT go evenly into 274? If they do, isn't that going to make it harder for them to get a high enough score as to not be eliminated after the third round? Will they split it up into the regionals holding 8, 16, or 32 players only? What if there is a tie between 8th and 9th place (or greater) players even after the matches are all said and done and extra conditions are applied (The falls then self destruct things)? Does a "match" consist of the best out of 2 or 3? Can tournament mode even be set up for best 2 of 3? Am I taking crazy pills? AGGHHHH!!! NEED MOAR DETAILZ!!!

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Also I don't know about this but can you select only 8, 16, 32, ect in the tournament?

If so then we might have CPU's in the tournament as well. And what if one wins, and its likley with some places with only noobs.

Blu-ninja

Smash Journeyman
What about using fox? I figured he's fast to get all the items and his reflector would be very useful against any projectile items.
not against my ZSS he wont.

;)

...that..and theres no items.

i think.

..although im worried about the fact that everyone might just spam attacks, since its a one minute match, it'salmost encouraged that you spam with what little time you have left.

anything for the prize im thinking...

ThePUNK

Smash Apprentice
Just talked to 3 gamestops and they all said plan on ITEMS OFF! so thats why Ike is probbly the best chioce guys

behemoth

Smash Journeyman
I think I'm sticking with Sheik. With no items, and no one in the area with an imported copy, my speed will likely suffice.

Plus, I sneaked off to a place in the nearest city that has a copy and practiced with the mote+chuck.

It. Feels. Awkward.

Just concentrate on getting people off the edge, the weird controls might just keep them there.

SuperSayianMario

Smash Rookie
I just found out my gamestop will have brawl tourney , I might go with either Ike, PKMN trainer, or Fox to win this tourney, hopefully I might get a actual challenge of of this dispite the super-retarted rules

Umandsf

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Umandsf
3DS FC
3927-0812-7458
Switch FC
SW-0595-8375-5017
Darn. I should contact my store and ask. I plan to take some time during the week and pretend to play a match in my head with the Wii Remote and Nunchuk to at least practice a bit.

domiNate

Smash Apprentice
I think I'm gonna have trouble with these one minute rounds. As of right now I'm planning on using yoshi after hearing the no items part. Do you think it would be hard to use Ike without ever playing brawl? I would have a week to train with Roy to get a slight feel for Ike.

mitsukeru

Smash Rookie
My main is Ness. (can't use)
My second is Falco (yet again, cant use)
There's no doubt I wont be going anywhere with this tourney.
My only choice is Lucas, but no bat. ;_;

What's The Point

Smash Master
And get punished...?

Even a nub will punish you for using pk thunder like that...
Rather get hit a bit early on then mess up looping the PK Thunder and dying first time off stage due to unfamiliarity.

Most people assume they have a leg up on skill, so the opponent getting first hit shouldn't be too much of a problem.

ThePUNK

Smash Apprentice
My main is Ness. (can't use)
My second is Falco (yet again, cant use)
There's no doubt I wont be going anywhere with this tourney.
My only choice is Lucas, but no bat. ;_;
Well if your main is Ness you should be fine playing as Lucas, right?

Talon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Talon
3DS FC
0404-8185-5062
This sucks.Despite that the rules on gamestop say that the employers will provide 4 types of controllers,the manager's going to be a ***** and force us to use wiimote....WEAK!!Can he even do that?~_~

domiNate

Smash Apprentice
I have a question. What were they thinking when they decided one minute rounds. Won't it be really hard for someone to die in this short amount of time?

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
I have a question. What were they thinking when they decided one minute rounds. Won't it be really hard for someone to die in this short amount of time?
Well when you have 32 people at the tournament and there is very little time we don't have 8 hours like we do in competitive tournaments so they get it done quick with 1 minute matches.

Top Bottom