• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gamestop Tournament Tips and Info!

ErciChewman

Smash Ace
Again, these are questions answered by looking at the official rules. Specifically, Scoring/Tracking.
I've read the official rules. And they do not clearly state how the Top 8 for round 4 will be determined. They say that the 8 best records from all the Regional tournaments will go to Round 4....one problem....THERE'S 26 Regional tournaments, and every one of the winners should have the same record, undefeated (cuz if you lose any match, you're out) So by all means, explain how this works cuz the site doesn't make any sense if this is the case.

ImpactAR

Smash Ace
Please. As I stated, age and experience go hand and hand. If somehow you got competitive at a very young age say 12 then keep going at it until you're 15 you may be good at 15. But that is very rare because around that age games was more so a pass time that you thought you were good in and therefore competitive.

To whoever said I said what I said was fact. STFU. I said what I said is a theory, not a fact. A theory is assumed true until proven false.

All you disputing my "age" arguement are fooling yourself. There are exceptions I give them that.

You say you hope someone 14 or 15 will beat me? Well let's see if that happens. I'll ask the age of the person who beat me, if applies at round 1, and the person who wins. I bet they won't be anyone under 16.

Please. As I stated, age and experience go hand and hand. If somehow you got competitive at a very young age say 12 then keep going at it until you're 15 you may be good at 15. But that is very rare because around that age games was more so a pass time that you thought you were good in and therefore competitive.

To whoever said I said what I said was fact. STFU. I said what I said is a theory, not a fact. A theory is assumed true until proven false.

All you disputing my "age" arguement are fooling yourself. There are exceptions I give them that.

You say you hope someone 14 or 15 will beat me? Well let's see if that happens. I'll ask the age of the person who beat me, if applies at round 1, and the person who wins. I bet they won't be anyone under 16.
Lol, age and experiance go hand and hand. I can call bull**** on that statement.

I guess you've never played Connor, have you?

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
Everyone please just shut up about the age-experience thing already. There was no practical reason to bring it up to begin with.

Also, the rules do in fact state how the Top 8 for Round 4 will be determined. 26 Regional store winners, but only the Top 8 scores of those 26 progress to Round 4. Simply eliminating all the other participants is not enough.

Dreiko

Smash Journeyman
Everyone please just shut up about the age-experience thing already. There was no practical reason to bring it up to begin with.

Also, the rules do in fact state how the Top 8 for Round 4 will be determined. 26 Regional store winners, but only the Top 8 scores of those 26 progress to Round 4. Simply eliminating all the other participants is not enough.
I wonder what happens if all 26 people have the max possible score.

Also, just to bring it up, here is the standard button lay out for the Nunchuk. If the rules are true, then this will be the tournament standard (Even though there is the possibility that it may vary from location to location.):

Looks....Tedious.:urg:

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer

SuperSayianMario

Smash Rookie
Also, just to bring it up, here is the standard button lay out for the Nunchuk. If the rules are true, then this will be the tournament standard (Even though there is the possibility that it may vary from location to location.):

Yeah, I don't think I could use a layout like that to win:urg:...I seriously hope my gamestop allows CC and GCN controllers for their tourney....

Ban Heim

Smash Ace

That is the most ****ed up setup ever. What the **** were they smoking when they came up with this ****?

Ti11erTheKi11er

Smash Apprentice
To be honest after looking at the set up i find it pretty good!

I haven't played the game but im sure if any of you thinking the set up is ****ed up you will get used to it!

but i understand all of us been using GC controllers for long time but i think i might like this set up

Xengri

Smash Journeyman
You could always try to make a deal with you're opponent.

Like, agree to get a feel for the controls for the first 20 seconds of the match or, something.

I'm sure they'd agree (unless they imported). Those are some pretty messed up controls...

YSM

Smash Apprentice
I wonder if Shield Grab would be Z+A...honestly, that controller scheme really doesn't look THAT bad. The only thing that might get annoying is grabbing and jumping. I just dont think of that tiny little C button as jump, and I'll probably never use the control pad. Luckily, my Gamestop said they'll most likely let us use the GCN/Classic controllers.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
You could always try to make a deal with you're opponent.

Like, agree to get a feel for the controls for the first 20 seconds of the match or, something.

I'm sure they'd agree (unless they imported). Those are some pretty messed up controls...
Lol, in a 1 minute match? I don't think so.

Also the only thing I disagree with this controller is the B button. At least we can use the c button to short hop.

Seiya

Smash Journeyman
Well I got word that my Gamestop is going to do the tourny. Sign ups start tomorrow and it starts at 9:00 Saturday the 8th. So yeah..I'm amped. I might use Ike and try my best to get in a kill. I'm going to ask them tomorrow what control scheme they're using too. :D

ThePUNK

Smash Apprentice
This post makes absolutely no sense.

Just read the rules again, and fully.
http://www.gamestop.com/gs/ssbb/tournament/ssbbtourney_rules.asp
Ok yeah it took me a little bit to find it too here let me explain to him. . .

- There will be (274) district winners going to these (26) locations.

- Those 26 locations will be playing under "Tournement Mode" on brawl.

- From the "Tournement Mode" there will be (26) winner.

- Now the top (8) out of those (26) . . . "The top eight (8) scoring District Winners" (The ones with the most kills.)

Now if there are any ties read on. . .

TIES:

In case of a tie in Rounds 1, 2, and 4, the tied contestants will have a rematch to determine the winner. In case of a tie in Round 3, the winner will be determined based on the contestant that received the less falls overall. In case of a further tie, the winner will be determined based on the contestant that has the least amount of self-destructs overall.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Also I want to remind some people. This is a Time match remember? Two things you should do.
- keep count of your score
-check wether a suicide is -1 or -2 before its your turn to play.

Basically, Kill your opponent first, then if you are starting to get to that % where a hit could kill you, kill yourself and wait as long as you can in the platform that brings you back, also, if your opponent is losing by 2 points and they grab the smash ball kill yourslef right when they start to use it so it goes to waist.

Also my gamestop has no clue about anything untill monday so I sure hope that I don't get screwed if there are too many people joining.

ThePUNK

Smash Apprentice
OK guys its official for most gamestops, I just called 3 in my location Wisconsin and this is how they all will be run and it looks like most will be run. . .

- There will only be 32 people allowed because that is the max allowed in tournament mode, and it is a first come first serve basis.

- They will be starting sign ups at 9: 30 and the tournament will Begin at 10 pm.

- 1 min matches

- no items

- It will be brawl not melee

- Starting roster only

-1 V 1

- Wiimote and chuck

Blu-ninja

Smash Journeyman
ok.

so i just wanna confirm this,
(ZSS question)

all i have to do is hold the shield button after i pick samus right?
hold it until the match starts?

or just hold it when its loading?

im not too fimiliar with the other controllers shield buttons..so can anyone please be so kind as to tell
me where each shield button is located?

Snakeee

Smash Master
You only have to hold the button down until you reach the stage select screen. It'll probably be Wiimote + Nunchuck so that'll be Z, the bigger shoulder button on the nunchuck.

ZSS players, DO NOT use her D air when you play. This is a precaution that can save you the game believe me.

Snakeee

Smash Master
Do you think that we should use SH aerials at all during this tournament? It'll be pretty annoying due to the awkward button configurations.
Depends on your character, but most likely yes. However, the problem is that with Wiimote + nunchck, jump is the tiny C button. It was confusing for me at first having to press it especially since it used to be a button on my right.

Depends on your character, but most likely yes. However, the problem is that with Wiimote + nunchck, jump is the tiny C button. It was confusing for me at first having to press it especially since it used to be a button on my right.
You also have the option to hit up on the D-pad to jump. I think it's possible to SH with the D-pad, and the A button will be right under your thumb. :)

Zoolander

Smash Journeyman
So, just to clarify, this is a BRAWL tournament, right? Not Melee or SSB64 like some people are saying?

Anyone who has played brawl have any tips for Bowser?

Strag

Smash Cadet
I didn't see anywhere in the rules where you can't enter in more than one Gamestop tourney (in my town, there are two tourneys 8 hours apart from each other).

Can anyone second me on this speculation?

Brandenpunk1

Smash Cadet
Theres only one thing I want to know is Do I have to sign up for the turny before the 8th or is it just if you reserved you get an automatic spot?
Well all 3 gamestops that I have talked to are having signups at 9:30 on the 8th and are only allowing the first 32 people to sign up, but some gamestops are allowing signups right now. My suggestion is to call the gamestop you will be going to.

ThePUNK

Smash Apprentice
Well all 3 gamestops that I have talked to are having signups at 9:30 on the 8th and are only allowing the first 32 people to sign up, but some gamestops are allowing signups right now. My suggestion is to call the gamestop you will be going to.
Yep mine too. . . If you still need to get in contact with your gamestop
Locations available and there phone numbers (here)

Top Bottom