• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gamestop Tournament Tips and Info!

dizzam

Smash Cadet
My gamestop actually told me that age restriction really doesn't matter. The tournament organizer said as long as the person doesn't seem like a 5 year old that relies on a parent, he'll just let them in without one. He thinks it has to do with Nintendo not wanting to have to deal with a little kid and legal issues with the parents such as complaints from them like "I didn't know my son/daughter was in the tournament" or "I never intended him/her to join this in the start." I still have my doubts about this though... think I should bring my parent anyways? Also me and my friends persuaded him let us bring our own remotes.. he said he can allow it. :p

ImpactAR

Smash Ace
KungLao,

If you read my post CORRECTLY my point is to give the rules that most kids will miss. If you read my post CORRECTLY you would of caught that what I'm getting at is kids are taking up space in the tournament and could fill it up where better and probably older players can't won't be in the tournament.

Kids threaten me in this game. Please. I clearly stated that players what are 16+ would most typically be the range where they actually play nearly any game well. Kids can join this tournament. Whatever. I'm looking for real competition. Victory is shallow when the player suck.

Not only that, these surge of people coming to SWF in are probably not even serious smashers. I see a lot of new members who just join within that last 3 months and it looks like that includes you, doesn't it.

Before you post about what you think of my post, be sure to read it correctly. Thank you.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Hey, I find this insulting. Even though I turn 16 in about a month, i'm still 15 and i'm indeed really good.

You should at least consider 15 year olds to be good at this game because they are. I'm an expert at the N64 and Melee. If you don't belive me go to my youtube page or play SSB on the PC online and see for yourself. But dammit I am not going to be underestamated like that! Trust me there will be 15 year olds out there that will kick your sorry little *** and not by luck either. I'm sorry if I'm overreacting but I would definatly cap it at 13 not 15.

ImpactAR

Smash Ace
Oh, yeah. The point of my post.

If you're under 18 you NEED a guardian. It's in the rules. Gamestop may be easy going about the rules now, but if get to higher level Nintendo will be strict about their rules.

My goal was to inform you to know if you're 16 or 17 beware that at some point you need to get a guardian to come with you.

Apparently there are some that didn't catch that.

ImpactAR

Smash Ace
There are exceptions. But very, very, VERY few. You'll know if you part if it or not. If you're that good you wouldn't of let the "age" thing offend you especially if you're at the end of the range I specified, which is in theory. As in "usually."

I think GA_Wes and his friends/crew when they were like 18, 17, or maybe 16 when I first met him. I met a lot of others of different age groups who claim they were great and just scrubs.

Like I said. My post shouldn't offend you if you're not part of that crowd. If you're not then you should know my range of 16+ is just an estimate based on what I and some people I know experience when we meet new "good" smashers and doesn't alway apply. But usually it will.

And I doubt anyone 15 and under will take me out.

Xengri

Smash Journeyman
Gee, so you're point was to tell use people would need a guardian under the age of 18?
Something that the website already said clearly...
Thanks Captain Obvious. No on even asked that question anyway.

My thing is, if you just wanted to say that then why did it take you several paragraphs to get something so simple across?

Oh yeah, it's cause you added you're ******** logic too...

I mean by all means you 13 to 15 year olds can sign up and all. I don't even think you'll make it that far and if you take up all the spots to begin with and push all the older players who has a higher probability of winning it gives me a better chance because most of you are inexperience and self proclaimed "great" players who don't know better.
If it sounds like I'm implying a very big majority of 13 to 15 year olds are joke competition, well...yeah.
kids are taking up space in the tournament and could fill it up where better and probably older players can't won't be in the tournament.
Kids can join this tournament. Whatever. I'm looking for real competition. Victory is shallow when the player suck.
There’s the quality BS I’m talking about.

Seriously, if you really think age has anything to do with player skill, you have no idea what you’re saying and, should stop writing nonsense.

Sure, most smash players are above the 18 year mark but, that doesn’t mean that you have to be 18 to “be real competition”.
Most smashers are boys. Does that mean Girls are not "real competition" and, just take up space at tournaments?

Why even go out of your way to post something so stupid anyway?

If anything KungLao is right.
It just looks like you’re going out of your way to dishearten “kids” because they pose a treat to you.
What else would be the reason to right a essay on something so obvious and already explained on the rules?

For the sake of being on topic:
Pro tip for a tournament. Never underestimate your opponent.
No matter who they are.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Well I started in April of 2005. And I was still good when I was turning 15. And a lot of my friends even one whos a year younger than I am is really good. And I wouldn't put any money on that last statement of yours. You gotta admit that was a little bit of a cocky attitude. And BTW I've known Wes since 2005. He was at one of the first tournys I went to and many after that. Heck I almost beat him one time.

And also xengri is right too. I'm not only angry at you because I'm part of the age group, but there are many, many good players even at the age of 13 that would give you a good challenge. Its obsered to think that just because your below the age of 15 means you suck at the game. First off the statement is dumb as it is, and second its obsered that your putting the limit at 15!

ImpactAR

Smash Ace
Cocky? Nah. If anything I'm trying to be mean to people who think they are "great" especially if they play the game occasionally and really just join the boards during this time frame.

They don't always have to be young as in the specified age group I stated. There could be a few people 18+ players also fits in the category who think they are superior players.

You meet any? Players who say they are good then play you. Lose then don't want to play you again, anymore. But they don't tell you that. They tell you they want to get better and we should do it again. Then they just don't pick up your calls or respond to your posts when you get another smash session going.

You being an active member, keyword active, on this SWF since 2005 does mean something. You should see how you're a rarity.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Of course, I see them almost everyday on SSB64 online. But saying that nobody under the age of 15 could beat you, unless your a top professional (but I've never heard of you so idk), no matter how many dumb players there are there will be a few like me who can prove it wrong.

matthewmilad

Smash Journeyman
umm

If they're doing Brawl Tourney Mode, then how are they going to do re-dos on Sudden Death matches?

ImpactAR

Smash Ace
Xengri,

Obviously, eh? Yet there are random posts saying they don't need a parent. I think you're fooling yourself if you think "age" is not factor. "Age" and "experience" usually go hand in hand. You can be an exception with the age by gaining experience early on.

Like i said. This is MY experience.

Pro tip? If anything don't show mercy to your opponent.

Libomasus

Smash Journeyman
If they're doing Brawl Tourney Mode, then how are they going to do re-dos on Sudden Death matches?
I asked this back a few pages, and I'm guessing not all of them will use the tourney setup. My gamestop isn't.

Does anyone know a good place to search for Wifi matches? I think Smashbaords had one, but I forgot to bookmark it.

Xengri

Smash Journeyman
Xengri,

Obviously, eh? Yet there are random posts saying they don't need a parent. I think you're fooling yourself if you think "age" is not factor. "Age" and "experience" usually go hand in hand. You can be an exception with the age by gaining experience early on.

Like i said. This is MY experience.

Pro tip? If anything don't show mercy to your opponent.
Random post? Then answer those post with a simple sentence.
I asked a very obvious question early in this tread (if you had to pre-order at the Gamestop to enter) and I remember RyokoYaksa (or someone with the same avatar) answered it with a simple sentence. S/he took it strait from the website and didn't have to write several paragraphs of horrible, misguided logic.

You're "experience" doesn't justify the reason to spread something this generalizing and, false.
You're "experience" doesn't mean it's fact.

As for the Age and experience thing.

Experience =/= age.

You could be 15 and have played Melee for it's whole 7 years.

That means you have 7 years experience and, *Gasp* are only 15 years old!

I'll give you that you're right about not showing a opponent mercy. But, that's only rehashing what I said earlier.

Point is, you were wrong with what you tried to state earlier.
Age has nothing to do with Smash or any game.
Only thing that matters is how much time you put into what you’re trying to improve.

Age/gender/race/whatever means nothing.

KungLao

Smash Rookie
KungLao,

If you read my post CORRECTLY my point is to give the rules that most kids will miss. If you read my post CORRECTLY you would of caught that what I'm getting at is kids are taking up space in the tournament and could fill it up where better and probably older players can't won't be in the tournament.

Kids threaten me in this game. Please. I clearly stated that players what are 16+ would most typically be the range where they actually play nearly any game well. Kids can join this tournament. Whatever. I'm looking for real competition. Victory is shallow when the player suck.

Not only that, these surge of people coming to SWF in are probably not even serious smashers. I see a lot of new members who just join within that last 3 months and it looks like that includes you, doesn't it.

Before you post about what you think of my post, be sure to read it correctly. Thank you.
You're more ignorant than your post gives you credit.

You're looking for "real competition" at this Gamestop tourney that is clearly a joke by the majority of the people on this forum (that includes the folks who have been here longer than I have)?

Yet you want to complain when you have a bigger pool of challengers that might oppose you? Who are you to automatically assume that "all kids don't know the game well"?

Since you're so grown, maybe you should be doing better things with your time than playing this game Mr Sir. I also like how you are so pro for a game that hasn't been out for a month.

Because....ya know....kids play games. A lot.

Brandenpunk1

Smash Cadet
The rules say they'll be using Brawl's tourney mode. That means one character all the way through.
"All scores will be tracked by the Super Smash Bros. Brawl Software automated tournament bracket mode (Tourney Mode) will be deemed the official score for all purposes."

First Post.

Linkster47

Smash Apprentice
Not too sure about any actual tactics since most people have mentioned a billion credible ones, but as far as common sense goes, follow the path of least resistance, i.e. if there is more than one tourney location go to the one you think less people will be at.

Precisley, I live in a suburb area with very few smashers but possibly two participating game stops. My main goal right now is winning round 1.

twilightsword

Smash Rookie
I believe it's up to the Gamestop when it comes to how many people they allow in the tournament.

The Gamestop that I will attend will allow up to two full pages of the sign up sheets they recieved, or copy. I think it might be 32 a page, but not sure. So for me it's 64 max and maybe for the Gamestop you're at 32 because they don't want to bother with that many people. I mean...they're Gamestop employees... No offense to any one of you who happens to be here.

I want to point out to some people, especially the kids or rather people under 18, even though you probably won't even bother thinking about it that you're suppose to have a guardian. I'm aware that some Gamestops are not following the rules, but be aware that you have to be able to travel to next round by your own means, if you even get that far, until after you win 3rd round. The next round location may not be the Gamestop you first played at, FYI.

Say by the chance you even get that far, you'll need to get a guardian to go with you to the final rounds.

Now this really, really applies to 16 and 17 since people. At least from my experience players aren't really good until the reach somewhere around 16 or 17 and you're still a rarity. Wouldn't it odd if you come up to your mom and say, "Hey mom I won a free trip for one night to San Jose, CA! Want to come?"

I mean by all means you 13 to 15 year olds can sign up and all. I don't even think you'll make it that far and if you take up all the spots to begin with and push all the older players who has a higher probability of winning it gives me a better chance because most of you are inexperience and self proclaimed "great" players who don't know better. But I don't know, victory is shallow unless you know you beat someone equal or better than you.

If it sounds like I'm implying a very big majority of 13 to 15 year olds are joke competition, well...yeah. Would you like to bet the winner of the competition won't be anyone 13 to 15?

I'm not saying I'm good or anything. I'm only good if others say I'm good.

I'm sorry if I'm sounding all mean or whatever. But I'm just sick of all these newcomers who came here and started to plague the boards with all these stupid topics and posts. I guess in a few months they all go away...

If you're not offended it's because you know better. If you're offended, I'm probably talking about you.
Wow...
*claps* :laugh:

Thanks for pulling that out of your ***.

I'm 14, but I highly doubt I could be considered "joke" competition since I've been playing brawl for 2 weeks straight with my cousins.

If I were to somehow meet you in a tourney match, I promise to beat the living crap out of you in the match, and MAKE SURE you don't win at all costs.

ANYWAYS...I was wondering. I'm going to sign up tomorrow, but I was wondering if anyone knew if there was some way I could convince them to unlock my main snake for the match... <.<

Vortok

Smash Journeyman
Regarding Kirby's FS while under a stage.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Sr7HazKgFfU

First Final Smash in the vid, he's pretty close to Ness but the floor of the stage (not even the bottom) is seperating them and it doesn't hit Ness. I can know from other vids that the edge of the upper platform above Ness isn't one you can jump through, so that may block it.

So no, Kirby's FS under the stage doesn't appear to be viable, based on that.

ErciChewman

Smash Ace
OKAY, big question.

There are 26 Round 3 locations having tournaments. The winners of these are the winners of their region. BUT ONLY EIGHT SEMI-FINALISTS GO TO ROUND 4!! How the heck do they determine who the top 8 are out of 26 locations from all over the country. All the winners will have the same record since they will all be undefeated. WTF!!! Does this mean I could go undefeated in Round1, Round2, and Round 3 and still not even make it to Round 4? Can anyone explain?

OddCrow

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1676-3709-1310
I am bringing my Wii, small TV, and Car converter/transformer. While other matches are going I shall practice muahahaha for a leg up on the competition.

Libomasus

Smash Journeyman
OKAY, big question.

There are 26 Round 3 locations having tournaments. The winners of these are the winners of their region. BUT ONLY EIGHT SEMI-FINALISTS GO TO ROUND 4!! How the heck do they determine who the top 8 are out of 26 locations from all over the country. All the winners will have the same record since they will all be undefeated. WTF!!! Does this mean I could go undefeated in Round1, Round2, and Round 3 and still not even make it to Round 4? Can anyone explain?
Yea, I didn't get that either. I want a free trip to San Jose, and I don't want to get shafted just because I happen to be closest to the Round 3 tournament in Kansas City! What, will they just consider some winners not important enough, or are they expecting some Round 3 stores to be unattended?

Gindler

Smash Champion
Wow...
*claps* :laugh:

Thanks for pulling that out of your ***.

I'm 14, but I highly doubt I could be considered "joke" competition since I've been playing brawl for 2 weeks straight with my cousins.

If I were to somehow meet you in a tourney match, I promise to beat the living crap out of you in the match, and MAKE SURE you don't win at all costs.

ANYWAYS...I was wondering. I'm going to sign up tomorrow, but I was wondering if anyone knew if there was some way I could convince them to unlock my main snake for the match... <.<
Well seeing how it's all the original characters (not sure if you get snake at the start). But just because you've played for a WHOPPING 2 weeks doesn't mean you're going to win the tournament, I remember when I was your age and younger playing SSB64 and melee and I am easily alot better now, once you get older your reflexes improve your speed of thought (not saying you kids only 3-4 years younger than me are dumber than me) I'm just saying that all the best players of smash are at least 16 at the VERY least and most are 18 plus.

ThePUNK

Smash Apprentice
Yea, I didn't get that either. I want a free trip to San Jose, and I don't want to get shafted just because I happen to be closest to the Round 3 tournament in Kansas City! What, will they just consider some winners not important enough, or are they expecting some Round 3 stores to be unattended?
Wow, I am at a complete loss for words right now. . . I have read the rules up and down and cant figure anything at all out how they are ganna figure round 3 going to round 4!????

- There is in fact 26 store locations and only 8 trips to San Jose, California. . . so hmmm

- And they will be using the Tournament Mode under the brawl game so your right there will be 26 un-beaten player (from all rounds).

- The only thing i can possibly think of is that they might pair up those 26 people using wifi and have them play till there is the 8 best out out that 26 OR they might just do a raffle (witch would be the lamest thing ever)

So yeah it really doesn't look like they had this thing really thought through. It will be interesting to find out what happens????

ErciChewman

Smash Ace
Regional Tournaments will be organized and executed using a standard bracket process of single elimination. Tournament brackets will be determined by order of registration beginning with the first registered participant. Each of the 256 registered entrants will compete in head-to-head stock matches with only Nintendo provided controllers on the Battlefield stage with all items on, players only playing with the starting roster characters with default rules, which are set to medium. The winner of each match advancing to the next round as follows...

So that's all Items !ON!, can't use own controllers and only starting characters. /sigh. It's going to be a race for the items...lame.
you're in the wrong thread...that's the nintendo tournament...this is the Gamestop tournament.

Anyway, back to my point...how do they get the top 8 from the 26 locations. Because i'm not gonna waste my time and take work off to do this if they just draw straws or something. This is looking worse by the minute.

Top Bottom