• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gamestop Tournament Tips and Info!

Xengri

Smash Journeyman
Yeah that helps a lot, thanks.
Gives me more information to help me decide who to use.

The Gamestop tournament is like nine days away so I have a good amount of time to choose between Ike and Pit anyway.

Downfall

Smash Apprentice
That's why Brawl WiFi will be so great. Then, when one someone talks crap you can call them out on it ( that is, as long as you two don't live to far away).
fff the whole distance thing bothers me a bit. Hopefully WiFi won't be that much of a let-down and people cross-country can compete with each other competently. Otherwise, fuuuuudge.

As for the DDD and Ike thing. I've been thinking of maybe putting Pit up there and using him instead.

Here's my original question that got buried earlier.
Pit would be a good choice as well. He has a couple KO moves if I'm not mistaken. Fast attacks + good KO move = yes.

Umandsf

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Umandsf
3DS FC
3927-0812-7458
Switch FC
SW-0595-8375-5017
Even though it'll be the first time I get my hands on it (attempts to go play it early at a nearby location have been deterred continuously), I'm sticking with my man Mario. I've always used him in Melee and I feel most comfortable with him. I may have to readjust myself with the supposed Wii Remote + Nunchuk control setup that I heard may be used, but I can probably just boot up Galaxy and pretend it's Brawl. :p

Hokkaido

Smash Journeyman
Even though it'll be the first time I get my hands on it (attempts to go play it early at a nearby location have been deterred continuously), I'm sticking with my man Mario. I've always used him in Melee and I feel most comfortable with him. I may have to readjust myself with the supposed Wii Remote + Nunchuk control setup that I heard may be used, but I can probably just boot up Galaxy and pretend it's Brawl. :p
I was practicing with the Wiimote/Nunchuck setup just in case my Gamestop decides to play by the rules and enforce that option; apart from the Gcube controller, I found the only difficult transitions the fact that the jump button had switched (it's the circular trigger on the nunchuck now, opposed to X/Y on Gcube controller) and since the B button is now the trigger of the Wiimote (where it was next to the A button before). All in all I managed to get a decent grip on it when I wasn't accidentally shielding instead of jumping or vice versa (since they're shoulder buttons right next to eachother on the Nunchuck).

OoNoiRoO

Smash Journeyman
Ike or Snake.

Ike if you've never played before. He's very easy to pick up. Jab A combo, Utilt, Fair are pretty notable. Just try to stay on the stage.

Snake if you have played the game and know how to use him. Almost guaranteed to stay alive up to 150%, all of his moves kill(fast and strong, kills lightweights at 100%), has too good normals range, pressure from all across the screen, dash A cannot be shield grabbed, etc.

DO NOT pick Pit as your character. He takes some time to learn, as his moves are a bit awkward for being a sword user. His glide may throw you off as well, leading to unwanted suicides/spacing. Also, once he is hit during his Up B, he cannot Up B again.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Lawl @ scrubby elitists thinking they have something worth proving.
Yet again someone misuses the word "Scrub".

Pikachu's stun ability seems to have become more broken than his previous Dsmash in Melee,but compared to Peach's Dsmash is totally far sided.Peach's Dsmash was a beast in Melee.Ashame they nerfed it.T^T
Pikachu's Dsmash in Brawl kills at much lower percentages than Peach's ever did in Melee. Who cares if it does less damage than a fully CC:ed Dsmash if all hits hit when it kills at, like, 120%?

It's actually very similar to Kirby's recovery. The main differences being that he has super armor and that his doesn't shoot a slash out of it.
Only Ike can actually grab the ledge with his back turned to it once he's lunged upwards with Up B... Kirby and DeDeDe cannot. So in a way, Ike's recovery is better if you accidentally Reverse Up B.

Do Ice Climber's still rock in item matches? I completely forgot that they were in the starting roster!

Something to consider maybe?
They can still be desynched but I doubt to the extent like in Melee. However, one very important change is that both Nana and Popo can hang on the edge now.

fr0st: Are you just trolling now?

No one has ever said that going to tournaments will automatically make you better. In fact, I've personally had to point this out twice in this thread, now. Going to tournaments, however, gives you more chances of encountering High Level Play personally and therefore more chances of growing and becoming a good player.

Because of this, you can never reach the Top Layer of your game unless you go to tournaments. You can practice at home against casual friends, watch videos and research the game online as much as you want, but unless the people you play with are Tournament people, you will never become truly good because you need to experience a lot of things yourself in order to become good.

The Lower Tiers of Competitive Players can still be beat by the Top Tiers of Casual Players, because the lines are quite blurred. Now go away and stop trolling. We've already refuted pretty much every single one of your "arguments" at least twice over each.

fuuzball317

Smash Apprentice
i posted parts of the exact same thing you said a while ago Yuna, directed to frost and i thought that it was established that tournaments allow you to encounter and gain more accredited experience in smash.

Downfall

Smash Apprentice
I don't know if this has been discussed (800+ posts now), but my friends (who are all younger than 18) are planning on carpooling... is this going to be a problem at registrations?
Depends on the store you're going to. Some allow for 16+ to register themselves. Others will be like "lol no" and your little party'll come to a swift end.

Just check with the location you'll be heading to beforehand.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
I don't know if this has been discussed (800+ posts now), but my friends (who are all younger than 18) are planning on carpooling... is this going to be a problem at registrations?
IIRC, you must be 18 to enter the tournament. Because of parental consent and all that.

Downfall

Smash Apprentice
Do you think unlockables will be available in the tourney? If so, I'm using Lucario. If not, I'm gonna take Mookie's advice and use Ike.
No, I doubt it. Wouldn't be a bad thing, aside from the spoilers. YES SOME PEOPLE DON'T KNOW THE FULL ROSTER AND CARE TO BE SURPRISED. Hurr.

If anything, maybe the first few you unlock via VS matches, if they allow that to hold anyway.

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
IIRC, you must be 18 to enter the tournament. Because of parental consent and all that.
The age restriction for the Gamestop tournaments is 13, with SSBB rated T. You must be 18 to enter without the need of a parent/legal guardian present to cosign you.

To anyone else who is curious, just read the link to the official rules in the first post.

DragoonXD

Smash Cadet
NNID
DragoonXD
By the time they have game up, which would probably one or two days before, they'll get all the characters unlocked in a flash just by people playing at the store.

Can anybody tell me what DI is? I'm getting very annoyed by reading it so much and not knowing what it is xD

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
The age restriction for the Gamestop tournaments is 13, with SSBB rated T. You must be 18 to enter without the need of a parent/legal guardian present to cosign you.

To anyone else who is curious, just read the link to the official rules in the first post.
That's what I meant, though I should've added what you said. He said a bunch of his underage friends were carpooling (presumably without their parents).

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Can anybody tell me what DI is? I'm getting very annoyed by reading it so much and not knowing what it is xD
DI is directional influence, when you hold a direction when being hit you can influence the trajectory you take. For instance, if you were hit by a forward smash, you should DI up to ensure that you survive longer, cause it adjusts your trajectory so that you go more upwards than away. Typically it's always best to DI perpendicular to where you were hit. If you were hit up, DI left or right, if you were hit left or right, DI up (DI'ing down is usually a BAD idea).

@Everyone who claims that there are these hypothetical casual players that are good by tourny standards:

Proove they exist. My smash friends and I have yet to run into them. These friends include Yuna (in freaking Sweden) as well as people all over the states. I've yet to hear of some no name actually placing significantly in any tournament since like... 2002. All that has been said to counter this opinion is that either: A. these people could exist because there are a lot of people in the world, and B. I saw this one dude at this one place that was real good and beat a whole bunch of competitive players and he doesn't enter tournaments. The first thing you use is a hypothetical, one which is physically possible, but not likely, and so far hasn't happened yet. The second is impossible to verify... and thusly not valid as any sort of evidence. You claim that this person existed and won, but can't give any names of the players involved. For all we know you were at a pretty low level tournament and there were a few newbie competitive players there that were beaten by someone that is naturally talented at the game.

Seriously, you can tell me I'm an idiot and/or close minded, but I've been playing this game since 2004, travelled ALL over the states, played random people A LOT, and have yet to see one of these mythical casual smashers. It's not just me either. Tons of others that have been in the scene for years also back me up on this. You guys have no evidence of this... you are holding on to faith when it comes to this topic.

Honestly, the best casual player I have ever known is my roomate. He's naturally talented at games and he has picked up a lot of stuff from me and others he has seen around. He has beaten a lot of competitive players. These competitive players weren't very good mind you, but it's an amazing feat considering. He l-cancels and is very smart. I'm REALLY excited that he is pumped for Brawl, because he has A LOT of talent and I can't wait to see it come to fruition. That said, I 3-4 stock this dude every time without much effort if we play.

Finch

Smash Lord
I do not agree that tournament play "won't ever" determine whos better. Although I do have one opinion on it. In a tournament, you usually play that single person once. Am I correct (I don't know)? Even without the items and hazardous stages, you can still have factors that limit your true abilities. I am horrendous on Battlefield. If I end up on the upper platforms, I have a difficult time trying to find a good angle to attack. It screws me over. My point is, yes you can fight somebody and win to prove you're better, but like Frost said, you probably won't pick up anything new when you're too busy concentrating on winning.

I'd just like to know from the competitive side of the street: do you guys say good game at the end of tournament matches? I find it hard to imagine.
First of all, good players have to be smart about using platforms on stages like battlefield, and they find a way to use them that can be a help if they need to. Second of all, you should really go to a real competitive tournament, because you (and most of the scrubs that have come to SWF) obviously have no idea how it works. Tournaments last a long time, and while people are waiting for it to start or just have some time to kill, they play friendlies, and people play friendlies not only to have fun, but because it affords the opportunity to play someone better than you and have them critique your abilities. Thus you can get better by going to tournaments much faster than those who just sit at home and play FFAs with items on any stage with their roommates. Everyone learns from tournaments, no matter who they are.

And yes, everyone shakes hands after tournament matches. Some people get frustrated, but it's rare for anyone to get mad. Competitive smash communities are awesome :chuckle:

Terrorcon Blot

Smash Journeyman
I think you should "prepare" for these rules:

- Items on. Even at high, Items spawn in Brawl a WHOLE lot less than in Melee.
- Initial characters only. This is a promotional event, not a "WHO IS THE BEST SWF EVER".
- Likely Battlefield, though any initial stage is likely available.
- Wii remotes only, if only for the ease of set up.

Remember, ultimately this tournament is a PROMOTION to get people down on opening night for Brawl. If you don't like the rules, take it in stride. Don't complain to your Gamestop "I WANT TO USE MY WAVEBIRD", "Why don't we play on only the FAIR levels", or "Items should be off!". Then this isn't your tournament. It never was. It's a casual tournament.

You can play to win, sure. But don't forget that this is someone else's set up, not yours.

Ban Heim

Smash Ace
Do you think unlockables will be available in the tourney? If so, I'm using Lucario. If not, I'm gonna take Mookie's advice and use Ike.
I wouldn't be surprised if everyone was unlocked, unless they plan on erasing all data prior to the tournament. They're setting up the full version of the game at their kiosks and by the time the tournament comes around, people will have most likely fought over 450 matches.

Hokkaido

Smash Journeyman
I think you should "prepare" for these rules:

- Items on. Even at high, Items spawn in Brawl a WHOLE lot less than in Melee.
- Initial characters only. This is a promotional event, not a "WHO IS THE BEST SWF EVER".
- Likely Battlefield, though any initial stage is likely available.
- Wii remotes only, if only for the ease of set up.

Remember, ultimately this tournament is a PROMOTION to get people down on opening night for Brawl. If you don't like the rules, take it in stride. Don't complain to your Gamestop "I WANT TO USE MY WAVEBIRD", "Why don't we play on only the FAIR levels", or "Items should be off!". Then this isn't your tournament. It never was. It's a casual tournament.

You can play to win, sure. But don't forget that this is someone else's set up, not yours.
Apparently unless you work for the gamestop near me, where (both humorously and sadly) they don't seem to know what they're doing.

JusDBerube

Smash Cadet
I just called my local GameStop and they said that it was going to be just the first 32 people to sign up. Can anyone confirm if this is true? He didn't seem to know what he was talking about.

ImpactAR

Smash Ace
I believe it's up to the Gamestop when it comes to how many people they allow in the tournament.

The Gamestop that I will attend will allow up to two full pages of the sign up sheets they recieved, or copy. I think it might be 32 a page, but not sure. So for me it's 64 max and maybe for the Gamestop you're at 32 because they don't want to bother with that many people. I mean...they're Gamestop employees... No offense to any one of you who happens to be here.

I want to point out to some people, especially the kids or rather people under 18, even though you probably won't even bother thinking about it that you're suppose to have a guardian. I'm aware that some Gamestops are not following the rules, but be aware that you have to be able to travel to next round by your own means, if you even get that far, until after you win 3rd round. The next round location may not be the Gamestop you first played at, FYI.

Say by the chance you even get that far, you'll need to get a guardian to go with you to the final rounds.

Now this really, really applies to 16 and 17 since people. At least from my experience players aren't really good until the reach somewhere around 16 or 17 and you're still a rarity. Wouldn't it odd if you come up to your mom and say, "Hey mom I won a free trip for one night to San Jose, CA! Want to come?"

I mean by all means you 13 to 15 year olds can sign up and all. I don't even think you'll make it that far and if you take up all the spots to begin with and push all the older players who has a higher probability of winning it gives me a better chance because most of you are inexperience and self proclaimed "great" players who don't know better. But I don't know, victory is shallow unless you know you beat someone equal or better than you.

If it sounds like I'm implying a very big majority of 13 to 15 year olds are joke competition, well...yeah. Would you like to bet the winner of the competition won't be anyone 13 to 15?

I'm not saying I'm good or anything. I'm only good if others say I'm good.

I'm sorry if I'm sounding all mean or whatever. But I'm just sick of all these newcomers who came here and started to plague the boards with all these stupid topics and posts. I guess in a few months they all go away...

If you're not offended it's because you know better. If you're offended, I'm probably talking about you.

End Game

Smash Journeyman
Well i just went to my local gamestop to finish paying my pre-order when i started talking to the guys about the tournament (which they are going to host, it seems) and i asked whether we could bring our controllers and they said:

"As long as its not modded or anything like that we dont care. This isbrawl we are talking about, we arent going to play it with the the wiimote and ****, we are going to bring GC controllers from our house if we have to."

So, i think im good for that tournament, lol.

Hokkaido

Smash Journeyman
Well i just went to my local gamestop to finish paying my pre-order when i started talking to the guys about the tournament (which they are going to host, it seems) and i asked whether we could bring our controllers and they said:

"As long as its not modded or anything like that we dont care. This isbrawl we are talking about, we arent going to play it with the the wiimote and ****, we are going to bring GC controllers from our house if we have to."

Sweet for you, man. I'm definitely in the works of finding out about my own location's setup.

I believe it's up to the Gamestop when it comes to how many people they allow in the tournament.

The Gamestop that I will attend will allow up to two full pages of the sign up sheets they recieved, or copy. I think it might be 32 a page, but not sure. So for me it's 64 max and maybe for the Gamestop you're at 32 because they don't want to bother with that many people. I mean...they're Gamestop employees... No offense to any one of you who happens to be here.

I want to point out to some people, especially the kids or rather people under 18, even though you probably won't even bother thinking about it that you're suppose to have a guardian. I'm aware that some Gamestops are not following the rules, but be aware that you have to be able to travel to next round by your own means, if you even get that far, until after you win 3rd round. The next round location may not be the Gamestop you first played at, FYI.

Say by the chance you even get that far, you'll need to get a guardian to go with you to the final rounds.

Now this really, really applies to 16 and 17 since people. At least from my experience players aren't really good until the reach somewhere around 16 or 17 and you're still a rarity. Wouldn't it odd if you come up to your mom and say, "Hey mom I won a free trip for one night to San Jose, CA! Want to come?"

I mean by all means you 13 to 15 year olds can sign up and all. I don't even think you'll make it that far and if you take up all the spots to begin with and push all the older players who has a higher probability of winning it gives me a better chance because most of you are inexperience and self proclaimed "great" players who don't know better. But I don't know, victory is shallow unless you know you beat someone equal or better than you.

If it sounds like I'm implying a very big majority of 13 to 15 year olds are joke competition, well...yeah. Would you like to bet the winner of the competition won't be anyone 13 to 15?

I'm sorry if I'm sounding all mean or whatever. But I'm just sick of all these newcomers who came here and started to plague the boards with all these stupid topics and posts. I guess in a few months they all go away...

If you're not offended it's because you know better. If you're offended, I'm probably talking about you.
Yes, my gamestop manager pretty much sighed in exasperation and told me that he was hoping nobody would show up.... :|

KungLao

Smash Rookie

This post, in regards to the age thing, is beyond ********.

And I'm 22. The logic itself is stupid. You must feel pretty threatened by the kids if you feel compelled to write a essay about that.

Hokkaido

Smash Journeyman
BAH, it turns out that they're going to hold a raffle for the 32 slots at my gamestop... even though they just announced that they'd allow us to bring our own controllers, I think the raffling thing is lame :(

ThePUNK

Smash Apprentice

Yeah thats pretty cool of them that they will let you use your own controller because i know a lot of gamestops DO care if you do. Also If you go onto the next rounds 2, 3, and 4 if you lucky the rules will be more strict and they will probably make you use the wii-mote and chuck :ohwell:

BAH, it turns out that they're going to hold a raffle for the 32 slots at my gamestop... even though they just announced that they'd allow us to bring our own controllers, I think the raffling thing is lame :(
Really? maybe you should think about going to a gamestop where you know your ganna be able to play? thats really lame dude i feel for ya!

Hokkaido

Smash Journeyman
Yeah thats pretty cool of them that they will let you use your own controller because i know a lot of gamestops DO care if you do. Also If you go onto the next rounds 2, 3, and 4 if you lucky the rules will be more strict and they will probably make you use the wii-mote and chuck :ohwell:

Really? maybe you should think about going to a gamestop where you know your ganna be able to play? thats really lame dude i feel for ya!
There are certainly more Gamestops around, but I just happen to live right next to this mall in Boston where this Gamestop is... let's say I can get off my back and sacrifice some time to plan a trip to a better location, I'd definitely do it.

Kyle P.

Smash Rookie
yea i don't know why some gamestops are doing that but i know for a fact that most gamestops will not play melee. This tournament in general is so unprofessionally run its kinda lame
Theres an article about it over at GameRiot's new smash section. Its written by the guy from getyourtournament.com. He has done a lot of coverage of Smash tournaments and doesn't have very many great things to say about the Gamestop tourney. You can read the full article here:

http://www.gameriot.com/blogs/Get-Y...wl-contestants-have-60-seconds-are-you-ready/

Oh well though I guess. Hopefully Brawl tourneys in the future will learn from this one's mistakes.

Dreiko

Smash Journeyman
They're basically going to randomly choose who gets to play. It's really the only way to do it, as I see it.

But the best tip of all... Don't get hit~! XD
Shouldn't they just close the registry after the first 32 have signed and tell other people they're full?

Top Bottom