• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gamestop Tournament Tips and Info!

SilentDrifterZ

Smash Ace
Well when you have 32 people at the tournament and there is very little time we don't have 8 hours like we do in competitive tournaments so they get it done quick with 1 minute matches.
They also want to get it done by the time the Midnight Launch starts. Mine's starting at 7pm just so they can get the tournament done before then.

ThePUNK

Smash Apprentice
I have a question. What were they thinking when they decided one minute rounds. Won't it be really hard for someone to die in this short amount of time?
Well they would need to have time for the 3rd rounnd because how many kills an opponent gets is how they take there 26 people and turn that into 8, and it woulnd work with stock. So they want to keep it all unified. that and they want to be quick about it.

rklamer

Smash Cadet
Wait, so the battles are Wiimote+Nunchuk? I thought they were just Wiimote...

Onichi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
OniXiion
Well I am upset, my local Gamestop's Wii Station isn't working, so unless Nintendo sends another one, i just signed up for a Melee tournament by accident. Here I was, thinking i get to play brawl early trying out a new character and I get Melee. Since I mained Link in Melee i never really learned to wavedash.

At least it will be with a Gamecube controller at least.
I wonder if anyone else has run into this problem yet, with Gamestop individual stores making their own rules, either deliberately or due to circumstances?

Testament27

Smash Journeyman
if anything these gamestop tourneys will be the end all argument on whether or not smashballs and items have a place in competitive play, since their seems to be an argument for them.

just have fun fellas

peytar

Smash Journeyman
A place where no one cares about brawl but me
i just asked my gamestop and he said we wasn't sure but he thinks theyre having the tournament so i am very happy and the guy at gamestop also said he faced ken.... but that is a little off topic, but yeah thanks for the hints.

What's a faster character that has good kill moves?
cuz i wanna use a char like that

Vulcan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SaberVulcan
Hmm...
Just called up the gamestop i reserved it at, they said it was going to be first 32 people who sign up, matches will be 4-5 stock, items undecided, starts at 9. I mentioned I read it was going to be 1 min matches and he said that it was too short and they werent doing it. So...yeah. Sounds like it will be fun ;P

Kasumi

Smash Journeyman
I wonder if anyone else has run into this problem yet, with Gamestop individual stores making their own rules, either deliberately or due to circumstances?
I'm kinda in the opposite boat as you. My gamestop was planning to have what they said was a melee tournament for like the last two months. They said, "You win, you get a free copy of brawl."

They just called me to apologize and tell me that now it's a brawl tournament. And not only that, if you win, you have to travel all across the country going to more "rounds" until you finally win the game.

I wouldn't be that upset if it was just a brawl tournament, and I could walk out with a copy brawl, but now I've gotta go to a bunch of rounds.

Linkster47

Smash Apprentice
Wow, my local Gamestop rocks! They're doing BYOC and they're doing either tournament mode or normal battles. They didn't say anything about items or secret characters so I'll check into the store later.

ThePUNK

Smash Apprentice
What is your guys take on this tournement? do you like it? To be honest I am glad that there having one but I would much rather have them just have a tournement where everyone who shows up could play and then the top 2 or 3 finishers would just get brawl for free in stead of the winner haveing to travel to all these rounds and ughh . . . idc just kinda something i dont really plan on doing.

Umandsf

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Umandsf
3DS FC
3927-0812-7458
Switch FC
SW-0595-8375-5017
Well, this would be the first video game tournament of any form I would go to, so I don't know. If I go on to the next rounds, I don't mind taking trips. At least it gets me outside. Also, I asked my mom that if I do have a chance to go to San Jose for the final, would I be able to go (alone)? I was surprised she said yes immediately but is wary of me going to Japan for three and a half months. We'll see, but I don't think I'll make it past Round 1, anyway.

I called my store, and they said sign-ups start at 10:00PM. Also, they said I shouldn't be surprised if we could use our own controllers, so I'm preparing for any possibility. No mather who, I'm using Mario, anyway.

What's The Point

Smash Master
So, when can I sign up at my local gamestop? Today?
For best results, call your local Gamestop and ask when you can sign up. Some places have already started, some places are waiting till the day off, and starting times all seem to vary. So call to be safe.

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
What is your guys take on this tournement? do you like it? To be honest I am glad that there having one but I would much rather have them just have a tournement where everyone who shows up could play and then the top 2 or 3 finishers would just get brawl for free in stead of the winner haveing to travel to all these rounds and ughh . . . idc just kinda something i dont really plan on doing.
Unfortunately, this is my problem as well. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind maybe traveling to New York from where I live [Woonsocket Rhode Island] but taking a plane isn't really my thing. I'm really in this to play it before it releases..I'll probably just let someone beat me in the Round 2 District Tourny.

Collective of Bears

King of Hug Style
NNID
Gark430
3DS FC
1805-3069-0371
The rules suck, but I'll be going anyway.

Vulcan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SaberVulcan
I went to my gamestop today and only 10 people had signed up!!! Whats up with that?
Hrm, didnt know we could even sign up yet. Gamestop guy just said first 32 and that I should get there around 7 (starts at 9) to sign up. Planned to leave around 5, eat, then hang out until it starts.

ThePUNK

Smash Apprentice
Announcement: this thread will be changed to "Gamestop Tournament Experience" on March 8th so you guys can share your Gamestop tournament experiences. The best of luck to all of you on the 8th!

f8lmatt

Smash Apprentice
Unfortunately, this is my problem as well. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind maybe traveling to New York from where I live [Woonsocket Rhode Island] but taking a plane isn't really my thing. I'm really in this to play it before it releases..I'll probably just let someone beat me in the Round 2 District Tourny.
thats dumb because you win something for winning Round 1 and Round 2, Why not travel to MA for round 3? isn't that closer to you?

joeysmash

Smash Ace
NNID
papakarcher
you say that like you know you will win!

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
Dont misunderstand

I think everyone is confused, or the gamestop guy told me the wrong information.
I asked the gamestop associate if the tournament was for melee or brawl, and he said it was for super smash bros melee, brawl will only be released at midnight.

Zevox

Smash Lord
I think everyone is confused, or the gamestop guy told me the wrong information.
I asked the gamestop associate if the tournament was for melee or brawl, and he said it was for super smash bros melee, brawl will only be released at midnight.
Neither, actually. If the info I got from my Gamestop is right, some Gamestops are doing Melee due to not having permission to use Brawl before its release (or something along those lines), while others are doing Brawl due to having such permission.

Zevox

ThePUNK

Smash Apprentice
This thread fails.
Well you don't have to post in it then :)

I think the gamestops are confused to be honest, I think all gamestops will be playing BRAWL on the 8th and your gamestop is just waiting for the confirmation e-mail. Even though they are saying MELEE I would train for brawl if i where you.

Idfection

Smash Apprentice
How do I get my Gamestop to offer a prize? My gamestop is listed online, and is having a tourney, but isn't offering any prizes to the winner of the first round. Any tips on what to tell them?

Toesrus

Smash Cadet
this is just so funny.
we are working up cheap strategies just to beat casual players.
all because the rules force us to.
what happens when we find a competitive player that will see through your strat? by then it will be too late.

ThePUNK

Smash Apprentice
this is just so funny.
we are working up cheap strategies just to beat casual players.
all because the rules force us to.
what happens when we find a competitive player that will see through your strat? by then it will be too late.
meh there isn't anything wrong with it, where just trying to figure out ways to help our chance of winning thats all. . . if we don't win its not the end of the world WE HAVE BRAWL!

GinRei

Smash Apprentice
Might depend on location, but most seem to be starting it a few hours early so that it'll be over just around Midnight.

Top Bottom