• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gamers' World Presents: Fight for your Friends Tournament – Montreal, QC – Aug 23, 08

ThatGuy

Smash Master
Swordgard, I do not approve of you modding people's Wii's at this tournament for a fee. I'm going to talk with Denis on this one, but I personally would want you to take your services somewhere away from the tournament.

swordgard

Smash Hero
Swordgard, I do not approve of you modding people's Wii's at this tournament for a fee. I'm going to talk with Denis on this one, but I personally would want you to take your services somewhere away from the tournament.

I understand, btw I forgot, this mod is purely software based only and does not allow you to run copied games, only homebrew, like ocarina for tripless ssbb matches. If I do it for free will there be any problems then? This zones not allow piracy in any way. Only hmebrew.Having tripless matches would be awesome though

ThatGuy

Smash Master
I don't care about piracy (well, I do, but that's not what concerns me here). What I care about is that you are selling a service that other people have worked to make available to the public for free that is easy to set up. What also bothers me is the fact that you are taking advantage of our tournament to make a profit. I was planning on either not allowing it or asking for a direct compensation from you to put into the tournament pot.

As for tripless matches, as awesome as the idea sounds, they haven't been accounted for because they are so new. Not everyone will want their Wii modified (ex. Pound Cake), and consequently that means some Wiis will be more 'fair' than others, depending on people's opinions towards the matter.

I won't object to you modding people's Wiis, however doing it for a price will get you kicked from this tournament. Additionally, we will not be using modified versions of Brawl in this tournament.

EDIT: For those who are interested about anything regarding this topic, http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=188481

swordgard

Smash Hero
I understand what you mean, then il do it either freely or for the pot and tbh I dont think everyone is as confident about how easy it is as you, though my original intention was to help kirt since he had to take a day off partly cause of me. Anyways, the mod is simple enough, I think it would be fun for finals and all, but the choice remains yours since you are the OT and I will respect it since we all owe you for hosting this

†¹Ãgøn¥¹†

Smash Ace
Why are people already talking about their money matches? Why don't you reserve this topic for registrations..It get's really hard to read and I don't follow anything of what's going on..If you guys wanna MM how about you pm each other's or you just talk on msn or in the respectives threads.

Moding Wii's? Is that even legal in the first place? I don't think it would be good if the tournament was canceled or anything because of so..

Seriously, this topic has become a chit-chat topic...Just saying, it's fine if Joel and Denis are fine with this...

swordgard

Smash Hero
Why are people already talking about their money matches? Why don't you reserve this topic for registrations..It get's really hard to read and I don't follow anything of what's going on..If you guys wanna MM how about you pm each other's or you just talk on msn or in the respectives threads.

Moding Wii's? Is that even legal in the first place? I don't think it would be good if the tournament was canceled or anything because of so..

Seriously, this topic has become a chit-chat topic...Just saying, it's fine if Joel and Denis are fine with this...
Technically missing is legal as long as you dont do piracy and this cannot be done without a modchip(yet)

Divinokage

Smash Legend

10 chars

ThatGuy

Smash Master
I already linked to that in my previous post, Mike.

Agony, first of all there is nothing wrong with posting MM's or trashtalk as it serves to hype up the tournament, therefore it is beneficial to us and so we allow it to go on. If things get too serious then we will call a mod to deal with things accordingly. If this thread was reserved for registrations only we might as well have only 1 post in it that is constantly updated, and have people PM us. But that's boring.

As for modding Wiis, I believe the act of modding it is not illegal because you are the owner of the system, therefore you own the rights to it. However, trying to turn a profit off of that system in itself is illegal without the proper licensing. So what swordgard is trying to do is illegal, yes.

EDIT: I'm too lazy to source this so take what I have to say with a grain of salt, thanks.

Pound Cake

Smash Apprentice
Oh crap, you did, my bad.

x_X Sorry.

Modding Wiis is a bit like pirating programs like uTorrent or Limewire. The component/ program is legal, what you do with it might be illegal :3

Mystic Viper

Smash Ace
I already linked to that in my previous post, Mike.

Agony, first of all there is nothing wrong with posting MM's or trashtalk as it serves to hype up the tournament, therefore it is beneficial to us and so we allow it to go on. If things get too serious then we will call a mod to deal with things accordingly. If this thread was reserved for registrations only we might as well have only 1 post in it that is constantly updated, and have people PM us. But that's boring.

As for modding Wiis, I believe the act of modding it is not illegal because you are the owner of the system, therefore you own the rights to it. However, trying to turn a profit off of that system in itself is illegal without the proper licensing. So what swordgard is trying to do is illegal, yes.

EDIT: I'm too lazy to source this so take what I have to say with a grain of salt, thanks.
By that regards, having a tournament like this makes it illegal as well since we are using the consoles in order to make money. By that regard as well, it would make video stores illegal as they sometimes rent out consoles (althought they do have a license to do so).

But the truth is that none of this is illegal. Doing any form of change to the software or hardware by that definition is not illegal, it merely voids the warranty. It has nothing to do with piracy, which in itself, is illegal.

Thank you for your understanding.

TestRider

Smash Ace
Omg hi can't wait for this tournament!!!

We're gonna be beaaaaaaaasting. Please register team: [NY] NO MERCY! (chesterr01 and me), and add TestRider to the list of participants.

I'm counting the days! ^^

Runawayfire

Smash Lord
Toronto is coming!
Our car is going to be Me, Kingace, Percon, JL and Ambrose.
We're going to need housing for friday night and saturday.

Also, I'm the odd man out in the car so I'm going to need a team partner.
I hate to sound like an *** But I need my partner to be good, at least someone who pictures themselves getting to top 3. I'd ask Chester but no mercy is already entering, so I need someone to help hook me up with the best player around who doesn't already have a partner.

zaf

Smash Lord
Toronto is coming!

Also, I'm the odd man out in the car so I'm going to need a team partner.
I hate to sound like an *** But I need my partner to be good, at least someone who pictures themselves getting to top 3. I'd ask Chester but no mercy is already entering, so I need someone to help hook me up with the best player around who doesn't already have a partner.
i believe everyone is pretty much taken.

swordgard

Smash Hero
Kirt if you drive your van instead of takings zafs lift, care to give me one?

As for thatguy, i got a proposition for you.

System Failure 333

Smash Apprentice
Toronto is coming!
I'm guessing JL and Ambrose are in a team together? I already have KingAce and Percon in a team together (please provide a team name, that goes for everyone who doesn't as well!) I also assumed they're all registering for singles; correct me if I'm wrong

Keep the setups coming guys!!

Ambrose

Smash Journeyman
I'm guessing JL and Ambrose are in a team together? I already have KingAce and Percon in a team together (please provide a team name, that goes for everyone who doesn't as well!) I also assumed they're all registering for singles; correct me if I'm wrong

Keep the setups coming guys!!
JL and Ambrose (AznSensations)
We are all registering for singles also.

Vwins

Smash Ace
Runaway I dont have a team partener since damax is not coming. So if you guys dont act like last tourny I'll be happy to team with you and put the past behind. I guess I'm still good.

swordgard

Smash Hero
Thatguy i just wanna know 1 thing, for the presentation will you lend me 1 tv or do i have to find one >.>
That is the only ressource i would need, and it takes about 10 minutes.

Runawayfire

Smash Lord
Vwins: Sounds great man, I know the rest of us in southern ontario want to put the past behind as well. None of us want a repeat of before so I hope nobody is worried about our behaviour.

Still need housing though, Thad? Joel?

Percon

Smash Lord
Wow and I thought Nate wouldn't be able to score a good team partner.

This will be interesting. :p

Also whoever houses gets free cookies from me.

ThatGuy

Smash Master
I'll house either all of Toronto or all of Ottawa. :p

EDIT: swordgard, I don't care. It's break so I'll probably be going to eat just like anyone else would. Just don't mess **** up and you can do whatever you want.

Everyone else: swordgard wants to do a little presentation of how to mod your Wii so you can access the homebrew channel and play modified Brawl, such as playing without tripping. He wants to do it during the break, so whoever is interested in this you have the opportunity to see what it is/how it works.

wtclanDOTcom

Smash Apprentice
oh man, im totally scared now.

someone shoot me quick before the modding police come after me.

Clouderz

Smash Ace
right when i saw ally's name, i thought, your all gonna die, right when he enters the door, your all dead

go ally! <3

no but really, ally is gonna own you all like its just easy

swordgard

Smash Hero
right when i saw ally's name, i thought, your all gonna die, right when he enters the door, your all dead

go ally! <3

no but really, ally is gonna own you all like its just easy
Of course, i guess you dont really know kingace or vwins over here???

Really 5 bucks mm ally anytime, if i win i lol so much >.>
Ally plays snake right?

WarranThad

Smash Ace
toronto ill get back to you later tonight on housing.

i predict a metaknight wins this, my yoshi will beast though

KingAce

Smash Ace
ya i think he plays snake, and hes the best snake online from what i hear
altho in person tournaments are wayyy different

Top Bottom