• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gamers' World Presents: Fight for your Friends Tournament – Montreal, QC – Aug 23, 08

System Failure 333

Smash Apprentice
The time has finally come to Fight for your Friends, brought to you by ThatGuy and System Failure 333, sponsored by

GENERfAL INFORMATION

Date: Saturday, August 23rd, 2008
Time: 11:00-00:00
MacDonald College

21111 Lakeshore Road
Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue, QC
H9X 3V9

The event will be held in the Centennial Centre building. Once inside the building, go up the stairs on your right and enter the big Ball Room at the top of the stairs, and that's where you'll need to Fight for your Friends. Here’s a map of the campus:

Driving:
Here’s John Abbott College located on google maps:
http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&hl=e...75.685072&spn=0.0066,0.014591&z=16&iwloc=addr

You can also mapquest (http://www.mapquest.com) the campus using the address given.
Coming from the East, I’d personally recommend taking the 40 going West; get off at exit 41 (Ste-Anne-de-Bellevue/Ile Perrot), and immediately off the exit stick to your right completely towards Ch. Ste-Marie and you’ll be on a turning ramp. Once at the top of the street (it goes upwards), turn right at the stop and continue straight for a while (you don’t have a choice…); at this point you’ll probably see the College already at a distance (this being John Abbott College) and you should have a pretty nice view of the crop fields. Turn left at the next stop towards the overpass and you’ll be in the campus! All you have to do now is find the Centennial Centre.

Parking (refer to campus map):
If you are planning on driving, there are various parking lots all around campusIf you followed my recommended directions (from the East), you’ll be entering the campus from behind John Abbott College so you’ll have to drive around its right (since it's "facing" the other way), and the Centennial building will be on your left (there is a pretty obvious signs for all buildings, including this one). I made sure you can park anywhere on the campus, even in reserved spots, on weekends; however, the Centennial Centre has its own parking lot so that's where I'd recommend parking.

Public Transportation:

Metro/Bus:
Using the downtown metro system, get off at Lionel-Groulx and the 211 bus will take you all the way to the campus! All other buses going to John Abbott College don't offer service on Saturdays and Sundays so the 211 is pretty much your only bus.

For those of you who are worried about making it home after the tournament in time to catch the bus/metro, here are your options: the tournament ends at midnight and you have 2 buses to catch from there on: the 12:19am and 12:40am (211 bus). Obviously the 12:19 is preferable seeing as you'll be less pressured in time to catch the last running metro (which ends at 1:40am).

TOURNAMENT RULES
(Thanks to SBR and Fogel with his past Twilight of Smash 5 which I used as templates for this set of rules!)​

General:

Controllers:
- Bring your own controller, or ensure that someone is bringing one for you. Tournament staff will not be responsible for providing extra controllers.
- No controller mods will be allowed aside from cosmetic changes (ie: no programmed buttons allowed)
- All controller types are allowed (Gamecube, Classic, Nunchuck, or Wiimote only, at your own risk)

Behavior:
- Good behavior is expected; we don't want to have to remind everyone to take it easy. In particular, do not damage any of the College’s or tournament participant's belongings. If the tournament’s staff deems that you are causing trouble in this fashion, you will be kicked out of the tournament without refund. Also, try to keep the noise at a decent level; we’d hate for participants to miss their announced matches because the crowd was louder than the staff. Finally, there will (hopefully) be garbage cans and there should therefore be no littering at all; please pick up after yourselves.
- No pausing during a match unless there is a good reason. If you pause repeatedly for no good reason, you may be asked to forfeit that match at the discretion of tournament staff.
- No infinite stall/freeze glitches (ie: Jigglypuff's rising pound, Sonic infinite neutral B under the stage, MK’s infinite cape glitch, etc). If you use these in a match, you forfeit that match. If one of these tactics is used on you for the purpose of stalling the match, pause the game and call for tournament staff.
- Once a match has been announced, it must be started within 5 minutes. If one or more of the participants does not show when the 5 minutes expire, they forfeit the match. This applies to both singles and doubles. An extra 5 minutes may be provided by the staff if, and only if, the staff is notified of the player’s whereabouts by the player him/herself; this would be in the case that the player is running late from getting some food during one of the breaks for example, and they give one of the staff members a call.

Match Rules:
- All matches are 3 stock; 5 minute time limit for pools, 7 minute time limit for brackets.
- If the timer runs out, the victor is determined first by stock and then by percentage.
- All Items are OFF (this includes Smash Balls).
- Doubles-specific: Team attack ON, life stealing allowed.
- Dave's Modified Stupid Rule: No stage may be used twice in a single set if the player choosing the stage has already won on that stage, unless both players agree to use that stage.
- Stage Knock-out: Each player (or team, in teams) may choose to eliminate one of the legal stages (neutral OR counterpick) to be chosen at the beginning of the set.
- Double blind character pick (may be called for the first game): A double blind pick is when each player secretly tells a neutral third-party what character they will use. The third party then announces the character choices, and the players must stick with their character choices.
- Advanced Slob Picks (for the second or later game in a set): For a given game, the loser of the previous game may either choose the next stage or elect to go to a random stage. The winner of the previous game may then either change character, or stay as their current character. The loser may then either change character, or stay as their current character.
-If a game ends with Bowser doing his suicide klaw and it ends in sudden death, the sudden death will be ignored and that game will count as a win for Bowser

Stages:
Neutral stages (will be on random select):
Battlefield
Final Destination
Yoshi's Island
Smashville

Counterpicks (are not on random select, but are legal stages to be selected):
Lylat Cruise
Pokemon Stadium - Melee
Rainbow Cruise - Melee
Delfino Plaza
Luigi's Mansion
Norfair
Frigate Orpheon
Halberd
Castle Siege
Jungle Japes - Melee
Brinstar - Melee
Distant Planet
Pictochat
Pirate Ship
Corneria - Melee

Banned (can never be used under any circumstances):
Hanenbow
Bridge of Eldin
Green Hill Zone
Mushroomy Kingdom
Mario Circuit
Rumble Falls
Pokemon Stadium 2
Spear Pillar
Port Town Aero Dive
Skyworld
WarioWare, Inc.
Onett - Melee
Summit
75m
Mario Bros.
Flat Zone 2
Green Greens - Melee
Shadow Moses Island
Green Hill Zone
Temple - Melee
Yoshi's Island - Melee
Big Blue - Melee
ANY custom stages

Prizes:
- Singles and Doubles: 65%/25%/10% split for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place.
- The room costs money to rent, so the total pot amount will be entry fees minus the room rental cost and insurance cost ($400 for MacDonald College, unknown as of yet for Queen Mary’s).
- Gamers' World has agreed to sponsor the event, given the ambitious plans behind Fight for your Friends; the cash value of the sponsorship will be directly subtracted from the venue’s fees. That means bigger pots for the cash payouts!!!

Procedure:
1. Opponents choose their characters for the first match *
2. Each player may announce one stage to be banned for counterpicks of the set
3. The first game is played, selecting random stage (only neutral stages can be chosen randomly)
4. The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from either the Neutral stages list or the Counterpicks list
5. The winner of the previous match chooses their character
6. The loser of the previous match chooses their character
7. Repeat steps 4-6 for all proceeding matches
*Double blind character selection may be called for the first match

Entry Fees and Formats:
1v1:
- $15 entry
- Format: Round Robin Pools (size and quantity to be decided depending on sign-ups); top 16 players advance to a double elimination bracket. All matches are best of 3, except for Winners', Losers', and Grand finals, which are best of 5.

2v2:
- $20 entry per team ($10/person)
- If there are disputes over controller slots, or there is a request by either team, one team must use controller ports 1 and 3, and the other team must use controller ports 2 and 4, choosing so after winning rock-paper-scissors.
- Format: Double Elimination. Matches are best of 3, except for Winners', Losers', and Grand finals, which are best of 5.

TENTATIVE EVENT SCHEDULE

11:00-11:30 Setup, Registration (doubles and singles), Friendlies
11:30-2:30 Fight for your Friends’ Doubles Tournament
2:30-3:00 Break, Registration (singles), Friendlies, Munchies
3:00-6:00 Fight for your Friends’ Singles (round robin pools)
6:00-7:00 Supper Break, Friendlies
7:00- 0:00 Fight for your Friends’ Singles Tournament (end of pools + top 16 double elimination)

HOUSING

Joel and Thad are generously offering housing for this event. Joel’s apartment is located only a couple of minutes from the MacDonald College venue and will house 2-6 people; this is recommended to those who will be using public transportation to get around. As for Thad, he is willing to house 2-3 people; he lives approximately 20 driving minutes away from the venue (MacDonald College...) so those driving should consider sleeping there. As you can see there are limited housing spaces, so reserve your spot! Once you have reserved your spot, the one responsible (Joel or Thad) will contact you to give you all the information you’ll need. If anyone else feels generous enough to offer housing, please let everyone know and I’ll add your name to the list.

Joel
flash7
Bug~
Fogel
Retlaf
buenob

Thad

"C"let
Runawayfire
J.L
Ambrose
KingAce
Percon

LIFTS

Wondering how you’ll ever get to Fight for your Friends? Make yourself heard ASAP if you have no means of getting to the venue and you might get lucky! Don’t wait until the last minute. Check out the Locations section for public transportation information in case nothing arises. Those who want to volunteer themselves as official drivers for the tournament please say so and I’ll list your names in this section, in which case the people needing a lift can contact you:

Volunteers

In Need
swordgard
Wak (needs someone coming from Ontario)
†¹Ãgøn¥¹† (for a setup!)

PARTICIPANTS

Singles:
Mystic Viper
WarranThad
Pound Cake
Filauc
Air
Divinokage
Redemption
Zorba
Aladen
ThatGuy
SiMoNiZe
"C"let
Zaf
Ally
Percon
Jer
Fabrian
Steb
Sweb
HolyNightmare
Pye
Agora
flash7
Ice T
Retlaf
buenob
WERE-Wolf
Snk23
Eagle
Gemo
TestRider
J.L
Runawayfire
KingAce
Ambrose
Cyclone
Badminjohn
Dictatosach
Vwins
fornaxxx
Whitechaos
Kickassclone
Fogel
Bug~
Gyome
Damax
Fordfocus
FordMarx
RION
BentoBox
Frank
DarkISDA
Phen* (money)
IvanEva* (ottawa/money?)
colejordan123* (work)
Fhatuik* (try)
Fizzi* (moving)
r X* (money)
Sknil* (work)
Wak* (lift)
Mothalika* (not sure)
RaynEX?
Sanuzi?
Daisy-Fan?
Lanowen?
Eazyseph?
IceMg1k?
Millar?
Elefterios?
^To this list, 10 people are to be added as of yet (accepted the Facebook event but have not provided a username)

Doubles:
Beast (Aladen & Redemption)
TTEFY (Mystic Viper & Air)
Overkill V.Beast Mode (Divinokage & Mean Matt)
MTL1337 (Zaf & Filauc)
The Unbeatables (Ally & HolyNightmare)
R.O.M. and Coke (Agora & †¹Ãgøn¥¹†)
NO MERCY! (Chesterr01 & TestRider)
KingAce (Retlaf & buenob)
AznSensations (J.L & Ambrose)
Never Gonna Give You Up (flash7 & Fogel)
(ThatGuy & WarranThad)
(KingAce & Percon)
("C"let & Steb)
(Vwins & Damax)
(Badminjohn & Dictatosach)
(Runawayfire & Elefterios)
(BentoBox and WERE-Wolf)

Staff:
Aladen (Denis) dentheimpossiblee at hotmail dot com, 5142374648
ThatGuy (Joel) crazy2467 at hotmail dot com (PM for phone #)
Moon King (Hao Yin)
Crazihouse (Paul)
Redemption (Matt)
Zorba (Steph)
SiMoNiZe (Simon)
KilSky (Theo)
Cyclone (Daniel)
Funky_Gab (Gab)

If your name is not listed or is misplaced, please notify us. This list serves as a good indication of what everyone can expect in terms of attendance, but more importantly it saves us a lot of time from registration and from planning the round robin pools and therefore increases our chances of being on schedule. So please pre-register here and in case you feel that we (Joel and I) might not know your name (not your username… your human name) and location, please leave those as well. For doubles, give your team a name and make sure it is clear who your partner is; if you did not provide your partner's username by the 22nd, then all incomplete teams will be removed from this thread and those teams will have to register the day of the event.

Legend:
A “?” next to your name means you have either simply posted on the tournament’s thread or have shown interest in attending but have not made your presence clear. For these people, please try to clarify your attendance in the tournament.
A “*” means you wish to attend but an obstacle stands in your way (e.g.: transportation, money, work, location, etc.), with the reason in brackets. Hopefully by now you’ve however realized that no obstacle should ever stand in the way of a Fight for your Friends!!!

EQUIPMENT

Obviously, a tournament needs a sufficient amount of equipment to run smoothly; this is where we as hosts put our faith in everybody for making this as efficient as possible. We are also hoping that Gamers' World can provide us with some of their TV’s given their sponsorship. For all you generous people, please include your willingness to share your following equipments

TV's
Gamers' World
Gamers' World
MacDonald College
MacDonald College
Zaf
Zaf
ThatGuy
ThatGuy
Mystic Viper
Fogel
Fogel
WarranThad
Divinokage
BentoBox
Mystic Viper
Vwins

Wii's
Zaf
Aladen
Steb
Flash7
Sweb
Ally
swordgard
Agora
Divinokage
Fogel
"C"let
"C"let
Mean Matt
Mystic Viper
DarkISDA

Power Bars
Gamers' World
MacDonald Campus
MacDonald Campus
Flash7
Flash7
Zaf
Zaf
Agora
Steb
crazihouse
"C"let
"C"let

Extension Chords
MacDonald Campus
MacDonald Campus
MacDonald Campus
MacDonald Campus
Aladen
Zaf
Agora
Agora
Steb
swordgard
swordgard
crazihouse
crazihouse
Mystic Viper

VCR's
MacDonald
MacDonald
Aladen
swordgard
swordgard

Finally, we expect to see all of you there!! Let's make this the biggest Montreal event to date!!

WarranThad

Smash Ace
i'm in for singles, doubles with tba partner

edit: im still offering housing for 3-7 people, i am closer to the macdonald campus venue though.

also is the stage select list final?

edit2: if gamer's world is sponsoring you should put their name in the thread title somewhere.

edit3: if you're a montreal native who lives in the east i can house you. i'm in the west island, pierrefonds for those who know where that is! my housing isn't confirmed though as i might have family coming from out of town though, but its 90% certain and ill be 100% a week before tourney.

Mystic Viper

Smash Ace
i'm in for singles, doubles with tba partner

edit: im still offering housing for 3-7 people, i am closer to the macdonald campus venue though.

also is the stage select list final?

edit2: if gamer's world is sponsoring you should put their name in the thread title somewhere.
I think the stages and rules should be altered to reflect the SBR ones. Just my opinion though.

ThatGuy

Smash Master
Kirt how the **** did you get first!? Do you have a message sent to your phone every time a post is made on Smashboards?

EDIT: Reggie, please move this to the Tournament Listings forum. Thanks!

zaf

Smash Lord
Confirm me for singles.

Doubles aswell, my team mate will be fiL. Team name is : mtl1337

I can bring 2 tv's.

1 wii w/ brawl.

Mystic Viper

Smash Ace
From the SBR rules:

"If a game ends with Bowser doing his suicide klaw and it ends in sudden death, the sudden death will be ignored and that game will count as a win for Bowser."

This i like and should be enforced.

System Failure 333

Smash Apprentice
I think the stages and rules should be altered to reflect the SBR ones. Just my opinion though.
The majority of the rules and stages already do reflect the SBR... The things that are different were considered by both Joel and I and were changed to better suit this tournament specifically... After all the SBR does recommend to use their stuff sparingly and match what you want... Whatever is posted is pretty much official unless we made a mistake; otherwise we won't be changing any of it

Mystic Viper

Smash Ace
add pirate ship to the counters, its in the sbr and i believe it is a good stage =]
Same.

Also, i'd like confirmation on that bowser note i quoted as well.

Also, you added me twice to the list of doubles. Its the same team in there.

Pound Cake

Smash Apprentice
SWEET ;D <3

Lol, Zaf. Weren't you talking about this when I came over to play at Kirt's house?

" No infinite stall/freeze glitches (ie: Jigglypuff's rising pound, Sonic infinite neutral B under the stage, MK’s infinite cape glitch, etc). If you use these in a match, you forfeit that match. If one of these tactics is used on you for the purpose of stalling the match, pause the game and call for tournament staff."

Link to these glithces O: I've never heard of this!
Count me in. Are there going to be side-stations for freeplay and such? Is the entry to get in the venue 15$ or to enter the tournament 15$ I have a friend who likes SSBB, but isn't too good, so I doubt he'll want to enter the tournament.

Pound Cake

Smash Apprentice
I don't understand the procedure to be honest D: I've never played in a tourney, so I'm relatively new to this atmosphere.

and is the place literally next to Snowdon? If so, I have no problem getting there.

zaf

Smash Lord
SWEET ;D <3

Lol, Zaf. Weren't you talking about this when I came over to play at Kirt's house?

" No infinite stall/freeze glitches (ie: Jigglypuff's rising pound, Sonic infinite neutral B under the stage, MK’s infinite cape glitch, etc). If you use these in a match, you forfeit that match. If one of these tactics is used on you for the purpose of stalling the match, pause the game and call for tournament staff."

Link to these glithces O: I've never heard of this!
Count me in. Are there going to be side-stations for freeplay and such? Is the entry to get in the venue 15$ or to enter the tournament 15$ I have a friend who likes SSBB, but isn't too good, so I doubt he'll want to enter the tournament.
yea that is the stuff i talked about.

It is free to come and watch and be there. $15 is to play.
There will be time to play for free, check the times for the day where it says friendlies.

Pound Cake

Smash Apprentice
Oh, that's what friendlies mean!

Personally, I don't think that level should be permitted o.o It has those insta-kills everywhere, like one or two are instant kills and there's that low-grav. thing if I recall.

Mystic Viper

Smash Ace
I also noticed the lack of pictochat in the level lists.

In fact the only thing changed from TOS5 is Lylat cruise being sent to counters instead. That almost seems more like a matter of taste then anything else. I don't see the influence of SBR anywhere....

zaf

Smash Lord
Oh, that's what friendlies mean!

Personally, I don't think that level should be permitted o.o It has those insta-kills everywhere, like one or two are instant kills and there's that low-grav. thing if I recall.
bombs rarely occur, it is random. It is no different then playing on halberd, meta knights ship. The claw and laser can both kill.

The gravity isn't a problem since it starts and ends in 6 seconds.

System Failure 333

Smash Apprentice
I also noticed the lack of pictochat in the level lists.

In fact the only thing changed from TOS5 is Lylat cruise being sent to counters instead. That almost seems more like a matter of taste then anything else. I don't see the influence of SBR anywhere....
Pictochat was added in the counterpicks, which was taken from the SBR... And as for Pirate Ship, you forgot the part about the water, which eliminates bottom KO's... But I do agree that this stage should be in it, it was just a matter of hearing some of your thoughts and I think I'm already convinced

Fogel

Smash Lord
Yay people like my ruleset :) Good job on not copy-pasting the version that said Squegee's Mansion, PGL got fooled but you guys are too clever.

I may go, but it depends on work and whether I can get a ride somehow. If I go, could I get housing with Thad/Joel? If I come I will bring a Wii and possibly 1/2 TVs depending how I get there.

Also, you have Cbone and Lanowen in the attendance list, you should probably take them off. I know both of them pretty well, and Lanowen doesn't play Brawl and I doubt Cbone will travel to this tournament.

Mystic Viper

Smash Ace
I can show you as many bottom KOs you need on that level if you need convincing.

And while were on the subject of stages, just why is Corneria banned?

zaf

Smash Lord
Pictochat was added in the counterpicks, which was taken from the SBR... And as for Pirate Ship, you forgot the part about the water, which eliminates bottom KO's... But I do agree that this stage should be in it, it was just a matter of hearing some of your thoughts and I think I'm already convinced
People should not be dependent on bottom ko's seeing as there are 3 other places to ko.
Also, Delfino plaza has several locations where bottom ko's are not possible, and it is a counter.
While the pirate ship is in the air, you can bottom ko Very easy seeing as the water is gone.

I can show you as many bottom KOs you need on that level if you need convincing.

And while were on the subject of stages, just why is Corneria banned?
go go go kirt

Mystic Viper

Smash Ace
I believe due to wall infinites on the right side of the stage.
You can wall infinite on a few other stages, even if they are temporary. Either way, isnt doing an infinite for more then 300% considered stalling?

Furthermore, on the subject of bottom KOs, the same argument can be used for kills agaisnt an Olimar; people will rely solely on bottom KOs to kill one. So not having a bottom can make him more useful.

System Failure 333

Smash Apprentice
Pirate Ship has been added to the list a while ago guys lol! And Corneria is banned most specifically because of the wall infinite, but also for the attacking ships and the fact that it's much easier to Sky KO because the stage seems to be higher this time around... Of course you can argue against all those by finding legal examples but we believed that the arguments against were stronger than those for

Mystic Viper

Smash Ace
Pirate Ship has been added to the list a while ago guys lol! And Corneria is banned most specifically because of the wall infinite, but also for the attacking ships and the fact that it's much easier to Sky KO because the stage seems to be higher this time around... Of course you can argue against all those by finding legal examples but we believed that the arguments against were stronger than those for
Well, i already refuted the argument about the wall infinite, allow me to refute the two other points you gave us.

Passing ships shooting lasers shouldn't be a reason to warrant a ban; we already have a few other stages with significantly more dangerous random occurrences that are part of the counter picks selection (such as the two newly added levels). Removing total random occurrences at 100% only ensures that were not playing the same game anymore. Smash has always relied on that chance factor (less so in competitive play, this isn't Mario party after all) but to want to completely remove random variables completely changes the game and would be illogical since some of the stages permitted already have random elements.

As for the ceiling being slightly lower in this game (if it is at all) isn't really a matter. In fact, this stage should just be a counter pick so that people can create strategies revolving around the stage ( just like any other). If there's a low ceiling, just use it to your advantage. It does not without a shadow of a doubt make a player (or character) better then an another on the level; that still remains circumstantial.

Lanowen

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yay people like my ruleset :) Good job on not copy-pasting the version that said Squegee's Mansion, PGL got fooled but you guys are too clever.

I may go, but it depends on work and whether I can get a ride somehow. If I go, could I get housing with Thad/Joel? If I come I will bring a Wii and possibly 1/2 TVs depending how I get there.

Also, you have Cbone and Lanowen in the attendance list, you should probably take them off. I know both of them pretty well, and Lanowen doesn't play Brawl and I doubt Cbone will travel to this tournament.
Maybe I should come then :p

Edit:how did it get on anyway? Copypasta?

System Failure 333

Smash Apprentice
Like I said, the specific reason against Corneria is the infinite wall, but whoever said it was a good argument? lol Even you said that the stages that do have infinite wall are temporary, whereas on Corneria it's permanent.... And you can consider it a stall but that won't change the fact that people will do it when what we want is to avoid it altogether; it's a lot easier to pull off than a stall which you still need to put a bit of thought in doing, and then it becomes a matter of opinion, whether it was performed long enough to be considered a stall or not... Bottom line, removing it to easilly avoid disputes and opinion based arguments was clearly the more logical decision

WarranThad

Smash Ace
Corneria

While the wall on the right is dangerous and the ceiling is low on top of the fin, we do not believe these are uncontrollable aspects of the stage and therefore it should not be banned. If you wish to camp the wall in hopes of getting off an infinite, you must put your back to the blast zone that is incredibly close to that side of the stage.

the vote for this was huge and not close at all. only one person voted it for to be banned out of 28 votes. it's silly to have that banned.

Fizzi

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
FIZZI#36
So apparently, moving into my new apartment is more important than a brawl tournament. I've been trying to convince my parents otherwise but they aren't buying it =P.

Top Bottom